Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th January 2006, 23:02   #16
BHPian

My Euro II gives upto 15-16 on the highway if driven at decent (~100) speeds
with the AC and upto 18 without AC...Driven hard (maintaining 100-120, shooting upto 170 in some stretches it gave me 13 :( ) .

In the city, driven in my usual erratic style, it gives me 10 - driven smoothly , it can deliver upto 12.

But, forget the mileage, you'll fall in love with the acceleration available throughout the rpm range - you can stay in bumper to bumper traffic in 2nd without constantly using the clutch ...got an amazing engine - hate the soft suspension though (after a palio adventure, it seems very inadequate.)

and yes, go for bigger tyres and wheels - 15" preferably - 14" at the least - 185's or 195's

The Vxi isnt really worth it - Get the Lxi - but it does lack a defogger - which (can be a pain in Delhi winters )...and get the mirrors and door handles coloured body painted - makes it look classier.

/this post brought to you courtesy multitasking on the phone as well so I hope that i've posted in the right thread at least.

cheers

zaphod
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 08:32   #17
BHPian

Default Back to the original question

I had posted a long term report on the baleno, but here are a few quick answers:

1. You definetly have to go for wider tires. I felt unsafe cornering with factory fitted tires. They look better as well!

2. Engine performance is good - the suzuki's in general are light vehicles and a good number of rally drivers using it is some sort of endorsement of this.

3. The A/C is good, the suspension is OK (much better than the smaller cars, but comparing it to the other C category cars, not so great)

4. FE is great. I get around 11-12 in the city (with A/C) and have got upto 16 on the highway. Not too many cars give you that.

Its a good value for money car especially if you are upgrading from a small car. Not so great for snob value though.. depends on what you are buying it for.

All the best!
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 09:36   #18
BHPian

One thing I forgot to add - a minus about the baleno - it has perhaps the worst gear shift around - not smooth but you really have to fight it to slot it correctly - especially 2nd.

Minus that, it's an amazing car .

zaphod
zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 11:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreak

Does baleno require a tyre change to a broader wheelbase.

Regards,
Turbofreak
If not for a broader wheelbase, need to replace for tubeless tyres.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 02:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
One thing I forgot to add - a minus about the baleno - it has perhaps the worst gear shift around - not smooth but you really have to fight it to slot it correctly - especially 2nd.

Minus that, it's an amazing car .

zaphod
Hey...the gearshift tends to smoothen over time...at least mine did.....it was pretty pathetic compared to my earlier cars...but now after 11k ...it is *almost* slick... I know it will never become slick but the wrong slotting and shifting effort is gone completely
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 02:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, I wonder why u got such a low figure on a highway like that ?? I know its a straight stretch and u probably did it foot down but in 5th gear -- theres not too much down shifting that will be required on that stretch and as long as u don't shift too much -- I don't think it shud give that low a mileage !!! Atleast I don't think so ...

Cheers
I finished the Expressway in 51 or 52 minutes...NEVER was below 120 (apart from a steep turn) and in general was doing between 140 to 160 kmph....was in a hurry to get to hyderabad from mumbai....guess that explains the 10.7kmpl....
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
1. You definetly have to go for wider tires. I felt unsafe cornering with factory fitted tires. They look better as well!
You said you felt unsafe while cornering with factory fitted tires, at what speed you cornered?
Old 30th January 2006, 08:22   #23
BHPian

Default Cornering Speed

Well i took a S curve at around 80kmph which i do normally now with the broader tyres and with the factory fitted tires, i felt the grip was not there, and anymoment the centrifugal force would take over. I strongly recommend it for two reasons - safety and looks!

By the way, if you happen to drive around in poorly lit city such as bangalore, i would recommend you upgrade your headlights as well.
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 11:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
Well i took a S curve at around 80kmph
If the same was done at 40 0r 50 kmph, do you say still u feel unsafe? What I want to find out is whether those stock tyres are okay for an average driver who doent want to race
Old 30th January 2006, 14:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
If the same was done at 40 0r 50 kmph, do you say still u feel unsafe? What I want to find out is whether those stock tyres are okay for an average driver who doent want to race
I have stock tyres and I'm an average driver. The stock tyres are quite safe while negotiating any turn upto speeds of 50-60 kmph.
shobhit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 20:00   #26

Hi,

I have a Baleno Lxi (stock tyres) which has done 8500kms. I get anywhere between 11.5 to 14 kmpl in Bangalore. (the mileage varies because of my driving style, AC on/off, traffic etc).

Regarding highways mileage, I drove the car 2000kms when it had just clocked 300kms. I got a average mileage of 19kmpl (no AC and mostly doing 80kmph and occasional 100kmph).

Please do get alloys + 185/65 R14 tubeless tyres though.

Cheers,
Murali
p_m_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 06:23   #27

Default go for it

its a nice car................. its powerfull.............its good for drivin.............and about the tyre its beter u move to a bigger size........but not necesary to do it now.....wait for 30000 kms or so. and abt d milage it wuld be around 9-12.5(city) 14( highway)
shelby GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 14:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod

and yes, go for bigger tyres and wheels - 15" preferably - 14" at the least - 185's or 195's
cheers

zaphod
HI Zaphod,
Do you know anyone who has 15" tyres for baleno. Wanted the feedback cause I am considering 205/55 R15 (Goodyear Eagle Ventura) for my baleno.
look forward to your feedback.
Cheers
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 14:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

My Lxi gives 12kmpl in city and 16kmpl on highways (both with 100% AC). I have the stock tires and for a normal driver they are more than enough.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 16:59   #30
BHPian

Turbofreak,

Though the FE is largely dependent on the driving style. Assuming that you will not drive with a very heavy foot - you an expect your Lxi to give around 12-12.5km/l in the city.

The Lxi comes with very skinny stock tyres. I would recommend you upgrading to a 185/70R13 size. You'll get awesome cornering stability, will look much better and your FE will come down marginally.

Remember to bargain hard, and compare the dealer quotes. The Baleno's an awesome drive - you won't regret going for it.
Cheers!
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote