Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th May 2013, 07:20   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post

3 pads and a set of brake discs changed already!!, WOW that's unheard of. Are they giving you bills and the old parts back to you? Either they are giving some feel good info by just cleaning & adjusting or there is some defect for which they had to do repeated parts change or else someone else but the workshop is subsidising the plan you have bought with your car. I would be very concerned to know technically/from an engineering point why this happened
Replaced pad one set at 8,000 km and another pad between 19,000 km , probably these where replaced before they where totally worn out and maybe had 30 percent left in them but where replaced during service as it was under BSI. As for the replaced disc as there was persistent grinding noise from the disc despite twice dismounting the wheel and completely cleaning the same, after consulting BMW they advised the disc to be replaced problem the noise disappeared after that. All replacements under BSI package no replaced parts are given back to me. I have not spent anything from my pocket.
Except for 1200rs on the pick and drop for the driver and the 800 rs car wash that I don't really want every time the car goes in for service.

Last edited by abishek2222 : 14th May 2013 at 07:33.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 10:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?

Pads are changed normally at 25k in India but can last till 35k as per global stds. Discs go on till 60 sometimes 100k. Perhaps there may have been a disc defect in your case therefore the premature change. Wonder about these reccuring prohibitive costs post the cover expiring! I suppose you will not keep the car beyond that period? Been advised MB's are more reliable and thier cars are more consistent in their service since they have been in India longer, anyone has any I insights on MB Vs BM car relaibility over 5 years? A new thread I suppose
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 11:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Pads are changed normally at 25k in India but can last till 35k as per global stds. Discs go on till 60 sometimes 100k. Perhaps there may have been a disc defect in your case therefore the premature change. Wonder about these reccuring prohibitive costs post the cover expiring! I suppose you will not keep the car beyond that period? Been advised MB's are more reliable and thier cars are more consistent in their service since they have been in India longer, anyone has any I insights on MB Vs BM car relaibility over 5 years? A new thread I suppose
We have Merc, Audi and BMW within our family.

Here's the consensus on the aftersales and maintainence. For comparison purposes, lets assume BMW doesn't have a BSI and all 3 service vehicles regularly.

Mercedes : The costliest to maintain. The parts are costlier than competition. After sales is good. While we were told services will cost between 18-20k, all service bills have crossed 35k. A close friend who owned an E280 deisel (2006) spent 12 lacs last year on maintainence. Finally sold It.

Audi : Easy to maintain except one incident. While driving to delhi in the Q7, some transmission belt broke @ 40000km. We were stuck in delhi for 2 extra days while Audi repaired it. The after sales at Audi is really poor. Have had many incidents where they just don't care about customers priorities. Call it Arrogance if you will.

BMW : Lowest maintainence cost of all 3. Services and wear n tear seem to be lower than competition. The after sales is supposed to be the best of the 3 but I'm yet to experience it.
Bluebeem is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 11:54   #49

Quote:
As bluebeem mentioned....don't rush...cars are dirt cheap used these days.. I.e we bought a 2012 March manufactured, June registered Mercedes E250 CDi Avantgarde run 5000 km in Diwali 2012 for 36.5 L including one year comprehensive insurance. I believe the Avantgarde was 55 lacs on road before discounts assuming it was 50 after discount ( was informed independently that new ones are at 4 to 5 lacs discount) that's still a drop of 13.5 L on 50L = 27%

Our cars was bought through shaman so the price includes their margin!!

People are still quoting 36.5L for 20111 E250 CDi's on carwale. Also X1 are available dime a dozen you don't really need a broker to source one and if so your broker needs to work on the price some more as this is a buyers market today

There is fair amount of room for discount here...get other stuff thrown in as well. My maths tells me that this car should be bought at 23.25L

I am assuming x1 high lines was 35 on road before discounts and assuming 9.09% discount on a new one ( going by my eg) = 31.85 X 27% discount = 23.25 lacs. My info on X1 high line prices are old perhaps though, I believe they were 41 at one point not sure what they are today so basing it on 35

Just checked highline is 32.5 on road Mumbai on gadi.com, so perhaps 23.25 may also be rich
Hey, may I know if it is the new X1 that is priced at 32.5L on road. May I know where did you see this price on gaadi.com . I called up Mumbai and they said they dont currently have any discounts on X1 highline. The associate also told me, they sold 2012 X1 CE model for 24L on road in March, but they never had the Highline on such discounted sale. I am not sure if he is telling the truth. But I would really like to know if any one in the forum has bought a BMW X1 Highline for a discounted price.

Thank you,
Naveen.
naveenreddycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, never imagined this to be case. I think a thread dedicated to this may be apt. Lets get some more views. I knew MB's were bad in the past but got a feeling that things may have changed. We just did our first 10k service for recently @25K including oils, and opening and cleaning brakes etc, polish, wash, and general check. What do you reckon will be the damage @ 20K. Ours is a E250 CDi
Old 14th May 2013, 12:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting, never imagined this to be case. I think a thread dedicated to this may be apt. Lets get some more views. I knew MB's were bad in the past but got a feeling that things may have changed. We just did our first 10k service for recently @25K including oils, and opening and cleaning brakes etc, polish, wash, and general check. What do you reckon will be the damage @ 20K. Ours is a E250 CDi
Aren't services supposed to be at 15k intervals ? (Approx). Audi and Bmw services are supposed to be done at 15k Kms. 12-13 if your driving style is harsh.

BMW has limited the timeframe for services. My New F30 320d needs to be serviced in August 2014 (18 months) or 13k km. whichever comes first.

I cross checked with many other customers (friends and family) and saw a few service reports of the F30. Service costs 11k. Wheel balancing and alignment - 6k. Plus Washing, cleaning approx 800. Plus taxes. Total cost approx 18.5k. The cost is same for 320d and 520d.

I reckon your Next service will cost approx 30k.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 13:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenreddycars View Post
Hey, may I know if it is the new X1 that is priced at 32.5L on road. May I know where did you see this price on gaadi.com . I called up Mumbai and they said they dont currently have any discounts on X1 highline. The associate also told me, they sold 2012 X1 CE model for 24L on road in March, but they never had the Highline on such discounted sale. I am not sure if he is telling the truth. But I would really like to know if any one in the forum has bought a BMW X1 Highline for a discounted price.

Thank you,
Naveen.
I just googles mumbai on road price of x1 diesel highline and gaadi had the price on its site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Aren't services supposed to be at 15k intervals ? (Approx). Audi and Bmw services are supposed to be done at 15k Kms. 12-13 if your driving style is harsh.

BMW has limited the timeframe for services. My New F30 320d needs to be serviced in August 2014 (18 months) or 13k km. whichever comes first.

I cross checked with many other customers (friends and family) and saw a few service reports of the F30. Service costs 11k. Wheel balancing and alignment - 6k. Plus Washing, cleaning approx 800. Plus taxes. Total cost approx 18.5k. The cost is same for 320d and 520d.

I reckon your Next service will cost approx 30k.
Must check, ours is babied so would not need a premature service interval. Let me check this out as I have not seen the bill or been involved in the same. You did mention yo have an MB as well, do share your experience as well

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2013 at 11:11. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 14th May 2013, 13:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Must check, ours is babied so would not need a premature service interval. Let me check this out as I have not seen the bill or been involved in the same. You did mention yo have an MB as well, do share your experience as well
A good way to check this may be to call the merc dealer as a prospective buyer and ask them about this and the cost. Merc is notoriously known to commit services would cost 18k for every 15k km. while the actual maintainence costs much higher.

Brother owns a C class. As I said. Same problem. Cost of service was expected to be 18k. First service cost 35k thanks to many "preventive" replacements. 2nd service cost over 40k.

Best friend owns an S class. 1 month after delivery, monsoons came in. Unfortunately for a couple of days it rained very hard non stop, post which the S wouldn't start. It was found that there was some chip (costing approx 3 lacs but covered under warranty) which had gone bad due to some water seeping in. Merc said it would take 3 months to import that part from Germany. There was a huge hue and cry as my friend wanted the car itself replaced. I think he was justified in asking for the same. Somebody spends 1cr on a car that refuses to start a month after delivery. Not fair! And just FYI rain damage is not covered by insurance unless specified. So if the car wasn't under warranty, it would cost 3 lacs.

Anyway. Car wasn't replaced. Merc got the chip in 3 months and replaced it.

Quote:

Thank you,
Naveen.
Hey Naveen,

The new X1 highline has an ex showroom price of 32.5 lacs without discount. This car comes packed with the large 8 inch screen and sat navigation and panoramic roof.
This price is without discounts. I reckon u will get at least 2-2.5 lacs as discount similar to 3 series. Add 80k as insurance and 10% as registration. So yes on road it should cost you about 32.5 - 33 lacs.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th May 2013 at 15:36. Reason: Back to back posts.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 19:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
A good way to check this may be to call the merc dealer as a prospective buyer and ask them about this and the cost. Merc is notoriously known to commit services would cost 18k for every 15k km. while the actual maintainence costs much higher.

Brother owns a C class. As I said. Same problem. Cost of service was expected to be 18k. First service cost 35k thanks to many "preventive" replacements. 2nd service cost over 40k.

Best friend owns an S class. 1 month after delivery, monsoons came in. Unfortunately for a couple of days it rained very hard non stop, post which the S wouldn't start. It was found that there was some chip (costing approx 3 lacs but covered under warranty) which had gone bad due to some water seeping in. Merc said it would take 3 months to import that part from Germany. There was a huge hue and cry as my friend wanted the car itself replaced. I think he was justified in asking for the same. Somebody spends 1cr on a car that refuses to start a month after delivery. Not fair! And just FYI rain damage is not covered by insurance unless specified. So if the car wasn't under warranty, it would cost 3 lacs.

Anyway. Car wasn't replaced. Merc got the chip in 3 months and replaced it.

Hey Naveen,

The new X1 highline has an ex showroom price of 32.5 lacs without discount. This car comes packed with the large 8 inch screen and sat navigation and panoramic roof.
This price is without discounts. I reckon u will get at least 2-2.5 lacs as discount similar to 3 series. Add 80k as insurance and 10% as registration. So yes on road it should cost you about 32.5 - 33 lacs.
Thx, now that you mentioned it this preventive stuff has been going on for some time. A few folks refused the preventive as they know exactly how the car is being used. Few years ago stuff like engine & gearbox mounts, brake discs were being prematurely changed under preventive and some folks opted out. Seems nothing has changed. What is with s class and water leakages!? A friend in Bangalore had a similar experience, and they accused him of driving his car through floods, some sensors and chips were to be replaced again a long wait and a large bill. I helped him fight with the MD's office and he got a meaningful relief. But this business about preventive and the service being prohibitive is something I keep hearing will dig a little with the dealer. I called our sales guy and he told me that the interval is 15k and he will get to the bottom of what really happened.

Last edited by canonball : 14th May 2013 at 19:49.
Old 14th May 2013, 20:20   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thank you,
Naveen.
The X1 is about 38 on road Mumbai. The ex showroom is 32.5. The old high lines price was similar and it was sold with almost 6-7 lac discounts which got the price down to a tad above 30 lac on the road. These are Mumbai prices I'm talking about.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 20:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Thx, now that you mentioned it this preventive stuff has been going on for some time. A few folks refused the preventive as they know exactly how the car is being used. Few years ago stuff like engine & gearbox mounts, brake discs were being prematurely changed under preventive and some folks opted out. Seems nothing has changed. What is with s class and water leakages!? A friend in Bangalore had a similar experience, and they accused him of driving his car through floods, some sensors and chips were to be replaced again a long wait and a large bill. I helped him fight with the MD's office and he got a meaningful relief. But this business about preventive and the service being prohibitive is something I keep hearing will dig a little with the dealer. I called our sales guy and he told me that the interval is 15k and he will get to the bottom of what really happened.
I'm not at all surprised.

Mercedes has traditionally been a babuji's brand in india. Only in the last few years a lot of driver focused cars and marketing have been initiated. But most dealerships remain focused on the traditional babuji-ness. What this means is that the company has basically gotten away with charging customers for anything and everything in the past as most people who used to buy a merc don't know jack about the technology or the engine. It's is only now that petrol heads like yourself have started paying a lot of attention to the details.

The car is supposed to be serviced at 15k. Moreover the car has an on board computer which should alert the owner when the service is due. At least Audi and BMW have that as std.

Please feel free to check the cost of services and parts at an alternate dealership. Don't be surprised if you find a dealer overpricing the parts (they usually charge a huge amount as "labour" ). This can be negotiated.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 22:27   #57
anb
BHPian

I have booked BMW 320d sportline today and expecting the delivery of the car around next week. I am a little bit confused about taking the service package. My running is around 16 K km per year and planning to keep the car for more than 5 years. Secure plus package costs Rs. 3.06 lakhs for 5 year/ 80,000 km. Shall I take this service package?
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 11:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I have booked BMW 320d sportline today and expecting the delivery of the car around next week. I am a little bit confused about taking the service package. My running is around 16 K km per year and planning to keep the car for more than 5 years. Secure plus package costs Rs. 3.06 lakhs for 5 year/ 80,000 km. Shall I take this service package?

I have taken the same as my intentions were same.
sinhsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 15:26   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the price list for BSI with me? When I bought the BSI earlier this year, they had only 5 year/60k kms and 5 year/1L kms plan. And IIRC, I paid around 3.03L for the 5 year/60k kms. If they have revised the rates, then I will speak to BMW to upgrade my plan too.

Here is the price list that was valid at the time I bought it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BSI Pricelist WEF 01st July, 2013.pdf (56.3 KB, 391 views)
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 04:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
BSI is a must.......I did own one and the car does seem to have maintenance issues......trust me go for it.
E90-E250 is offline   Reply With Quote