Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th September 2017, 10:18   #136
BHPian

Default VW's suffer from poor reliability?

With Volkswagen the issues seem to be with some key parts like injectors, Turbos and DSG gearboxes, all quite expensive to replace.

I have a 2011 Skoda Rapid TDI and went thru this too. First up the turbo fails one day, fortunately for me it was within the warranty period so got it replaced free of cost. Within a year of this incident, the EGR failed, and my car was out of warranty! I wrote emails to Skoda and the dealer asking them to replace the EGR free of cost since it was just out of warranty and they agreed to do so. While Skoda and the dealer handled these issues quite well and did not argue about replacements free of cost, the prices of these spare parts shocked the daylights of me. The Turbo costs a whopping 1.5 L while the EGR is in the range of 40K. What if one had to shell out this kind of money from our own wallet?
And in spite of heavy localisation of the Vento, Rapid and Polo I wonder why the Turbo costs nearly 3 times that of Maruti. Im told the Turbo of Swift diesels cost anywhere between 40-45K, not sure of this.

But like most VW and Skoda owners here, apart from the above issues I think the car is brilliant in terms of sheer quality and the way its put together. My car is nearly 5.5 years old (although less than 50k on the ODO) it doesnt feel the age and doesnt produce rattles or minor any other minor issues at all. I wish VW sort out the issues with such expensive and important parts. The next time I buy a VW or Skoda I want to ensure that they have 4-5 years of warranty minimum.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th September 2017 at 13:06. Reason: typos
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 11:20   #137
BHPian

My Vento 1.6tdi bought in September 2010 has so far done only 43.5k Kms. Touch wood! I have had no major issues apart from glow plugs replacement at about 37k Kms. Even then the car was fine apart from the engine warning light coming on following a body shop repair. My Vento is one of the first batch and seems to be handling well. I intend not to get the emission software update done.
msd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 21:40   #138
BHPian

Default Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

German cars are not purchased for reliability. They are purchased for the tough body shell and drivability. I have a 2011 Audi q7 and recently ABS warning lighted up. Costed me $1100 to fix. On the other hand I have a 2011 Honda accord and only paid for oil changes($30). Recently had an minor accident where a Honda Accord scarped the rear of my Audi. The rear light plastic was gone. Apart from that, not much visible damage to Audi. But the accord had its front bumper and the bonnet out.

So we need to ask our selves? What we need in our Cars?
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 10:34   #139
BHPian

Default Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

Here is the update. Please have a look at the pictures before and after the strut mount weld at VW Bangalore/Elite Motors.

I have to admit that while the service guys there were very understanding of my irritation, the sales guy has completely disappeared.

Have already written to VW requesting for a confirmation that the issue will not result in safety being comprised during highway drives and that there will be no long term collateral issues. They have forwarded the email to the service center once again. On insisting that VW send a written email, they have gone into hibernation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Reporting in one more incident - new Polo weld issue. My 6 month old Polo 1.2 started making squeaking sounds (around 3 months back) behind the dashboard area. The service center guys asked me to come back during the 6 month checkup since they were upgrading their system to be GST complaint. VW has diagnosed it as a suspension mount welding defect (right side). Same thing was reported by aashish_84 a couple of months ago in this thread.

The solution proposed was to take out the entire suspension assembly, re-weld the suspension mount, paint it and put things back. Expected downtime is 1 week. Have also requested them to provide me with a written reason why this happened. Will keep you all posted on how that goes.

Do you think there would be any safety issues at highway speeds because of this service center welding? Thanks

So much for VW welding quality..
Attached Thumbnails
VW's suffer from poor reliability?-white-sealent.jpg  

VW's suffer from poor reliability?-sealent.jpg  

Attached Images

sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote