Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th May 2011, 18:05   #31

Default Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

I own a VW polo and i am had certain issues like the delay in delivery, and i had also written about some design flaws in the official facebook page of VW polo... and was taken aback by the users' loud cries @ VW and no response for all those cries from the VW team too...

For my comments too, they gave no ears, and i felt like its a mere waste writing over there.
Anyone who would visit this this page where in VW owners had put up their views would give a thought whether to go for VW...

though i am pretty proud about my VW Polo, i am not so happy when it comes to customer service by VW... i am not blaming the dealer, but the overall attitude of VW India over its customers' views.
MadhanBabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 18:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

Please refer to this article which I posted in TBHP during the early days

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...liability.html (Impact of electronics on reliability)
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 19:12   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From my days in North America, I remember VW having a very poor track record for reliability. Not only was the reliability poor, but the parts were also killer expensive. Things hadn't changed much when I saw recent durability rankings for N/A.

Will a VW be as reliable & fuss-free as a Toyota in the long run? No ways. I've heard (many on the forum itself) of many Polo diesel owners complaining of blown turbos. The Laura & Jetta are identical; when the Laura has such a poor reliability record post 50,000 kms, I don't expect the Jetta to be much different.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 19:13   #34
Team-BHP Support

VWs do suffer from an image problem about reliability even in the US. A dear friend of mine whose Passat I had driven back in 2001 and what inspired me to go the Vento way earlier this year, wryly commented "All the best" when I told him excitedly about my new car. He then added that VW makes great cars and if nothing went wrong I was in for a great ride. Then he smiled and repeated "If nothing goes wrong". That was a lil scary! But he HAS retained his Passat (gave it away to a nephew) and has great regard for the car otherwise!

He upgraded to a used Infiniti.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 19:19   #35
BHPian

I met a Service Advisor working with VW today evening & he mentioned that many Polo cars are having uneven tyre wear issues/dashboard rattling complaints/excessive engine vibration in some cars.

Anybody heard of/experienced such issues?
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Aircraft systems are very complex, do we expect them to fail often. Not sure. I wouldn't expect the ABS/ESP to fail right when i need them most, or for that matter Airbags to fail to open right when i needed them most (At the time of accident).

Alternatively i would be ok with if something not as critical stopped working (Would be irritated but would live with it).

So i guess its a mixed bag, critical components shouldn't follow the logic ("Reliability is a direct correalation to simplicity") others can in my opinion.
That is why the parts in an aircraft are replaced at regular intervals, does not matter if they are still serviceable, they are changed. Many German brands take the same view and will replace parts they deemed to be beyond the useful life. There is a positive side to this. If they replace parts regularly, then you will never be stranded. The only down side is that they tend to replace parts which would have lasted two to four times longer in a Japanese car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
European cars are never known to be reliable like their japanese counterparts. But one thing for sure is it takes a lot of effort to provide reliable after sales service. Another challenge is to continuously meet the demand for volumes. Maruti and Hyundai were in India when the annual car sales volumes were around 50K cars. They had time on hand to learn. Its not so today. The ramp-up in volumes required is so steep, there is no scope for experimentation. This is where the reliability issues start creeping up. You start relaxing a lot to improve the first pass yield and before realising, you are deep down in a quality problem.

Or can you dare to stop bookings, ala Toyota Fortuner when you are starting off from a greenfield facility?
Volkswagen is a large volume player internationally, so there is no excuse for them to be unprepared to service large volumes of cars sold. Most of the problems with European vehicles has to do with electronics. Electronics has been the bane of all European manufacturers, they some how have not been able to get their electronics to the same level as the Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Based on my interactions with VW in India, I only found that they seem to have a chip on their shoulder when they talk about the Indian market. This attitude is not going to help them; in fact it will only hasten the onset of complacency into their service centres.

To be honest, it seems they are a bit uncomfortable or confused about their positioning in the Indian market. Moreover, I am not sure what will happen once their level of localisation increases; it could actually be a double edged sword.

I am sure the guys who have gone in for VW cars expect these to be niggle free. If any niggles cannot be fixed, then whats the VW USP?

I guess we will all have to wait & watch!
Even in the US market, those who want a trouble free vehicle go for Japanese vehicles. Those who want to flaunt their wealth go for the German cars. After all, owning a German vehicle is akin to owning an Elephant in the old days. You can buy one, but only a very well to do person can maintain one. In a way I see ownership of a German vehicle a statement to your wealth - if you can maintain one you must be exceedingly well off!
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 20:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most cars have problems but they are not the vehicle stalling, expensive parts type of problems
Probably the sample data is too small to derive the conclusion that all VW cars have expensive parts type of problems and only VW has expensive parts type of problems.

All cars have problems but the question here is how VW will honour the buyers.

Personally i am not convinced with the data provided (the link shared) and it does not represent the entire story.

SKoda story is different where we know what happened and we have the person who has been hassled by Skoda in Team Bhp giving us the real story.

But we all have hope that VW may not go the Skoda Route. One reason we are not playing with the existing set up and just doing what the manual says.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:07   #38
BHPian

Poor A.S.S. I can understand because VW is setting up in India but failing parts, electronic modules and not suitable for Indian conditions is something which is serious.

In India we dont have 911 or on road service helplines sp. travelling to remote places, and one can imagine situation if cars like VW break down in the middle of the road then where will we get support?

These companies pay hefty salaries, plenty of think tanks but still mistakes happening. Exactly same as Renault did with Logan.
ezee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:19   #39
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My daughter has been driving her VW Golf Pacific 2.0 TDI AT in Australia from the past 3 years without any issues. Apart from routine service maintenance/replacements, there have been no other repairs. My daughter and son-in-law are fully satisfied with their VW.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:33   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Though most people are generously criticizing VW on the thread, I wish to ask how many of you actually experienced these so called break downs and failures? Or is it mere speculation? Most of the TBHP owners have been pretty happy with there polos and ventos. Many of these cars have crossed 30-40k kms now.

Delivery issues are not bad Service in my opinion as even toyota has insane waiting periods on its highly selling models. VW has considerably been working and trying to bring the waiting periods down.

Marutis and Hyundais too have loads of problems from constant rattles from day 1 and steering issues of I20 which both the companies have failed to resolve even though they are the leading car makers in the country. Rather most of us have come to accept the infamous maruti rattles as part of the package.

Infact I was pleasantly surprised when I read that in one of the ownership threads on TBHP, VW sent him a personal letter(apparently from the engineer in charge) and a gift and apologized for the delay. I feel that speaks volumes about there intentions towards giving a good A.S.S.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:49   #41
BHPian

I think its more perception based and not exactly factual. I have been stranded in the middle of Bangalore city a couple of times with my "bullet proof" reliable swift, and found myself with my family on the highway for hours waiting for "the largest network of service centers in India" to help me out.

With my ownership of my Swift i've come to realize that all brands make their mistakes, my friends fuel pump in the Swift was packed on the way back home from the showroom and then again packed up in 10k kms. Another realization is that its not the brand that builds good After Sales and Service, its the individuals that we deal with in the dealership.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:58   #42
BHPian

The following is from the Industry's most reputed rating agency; The JD Power Ranking.

These are international rankings BTW. 5 = Among the best, 4 = better than most, 3 = About average, 2 = The rest

Overall Quality in 2010:
VW gets only 2/5 stars (That is extremely poor)
Honda gets 4/5
Toyota gets 3/5 (most probably due to product recalls in 2010)
Ford 4/5
Hyundai 3/5

Vehicle Reliability Study 2011:
VW gets only 2/5 (That is extremely poor again)
Honda gets 3/5
Toyota gets 4/5
Ford 3/5
Hyundai 4/5

At an individual vehcile level in 2010
Jetta gets 3/5
Golf gets 3/5

I have been actively evaulating Honda City, Vento TDI and ANHV 1.6 CRDI. Looking at this I will most probably have to knock the Vento off the list.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 22:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Though most people are generously criticizing VW on the thread, I wish to ask how many of you actually experienced these so called break downs and failures? Or is it mere speculation?
Kindly read my posts on page 5 in my thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nt-hole-5.html (VW Polo - The mint with a hole :))
anubhavarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 22:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I met a Service Advisor working with VW today evening & he mentioned that many Polo cars are having uneven tyre wear issues/dashboard rattling complaints/excessive engine vibration in some cars.

Anybody heard of/experienced such issues?
I don't know about uneven tyre wear and dashboard rattling but I know owners (3 to be precise) who are complaining about excessive engine vibration (all three cars in question are TDi's)

Quote:
Another realization is that its not the brand that builds good After Sales and Service, its the individuals that we deal with in the dealership.
+1 to that. In our 5+ years of ownership of the Skoda Octavia : the car ran completely trouble free and the service was excellent. And that was only because we managed to develop a good relationship with the service centre. It's a different matter that the Octy had minimal electronics, but I never had issues of parts failure, exorbitant service charges or inconsistent service. In fact, if it wasn't for TBHP - I would have never come to know about Skoda's horror stories.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 22:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavarya View Post
It is really unfortunate that you have had these issues with your car. I am no way saying that VW is flawless. What I meant was that in general people have been happy with there cars. An odd case here and there is not enough to dump the whole company as unreliable.

My new NHC in 2006 had a leak from the petrol tank at just 600kms. The showroom people took the car and said they do not knows how the leak has developed and replaced it and handed me a bill for the changed parts( dont rem the exact amount but it was expensive). My dad gave them an earful and they just waived the whole thing off. Till date the car consumes more engine oil then a normal honda should and again the service people haven't been able to diagnose a fault anywhere. Otherwise the car hasn't given any trouble. So do we say Honda is un-reliable?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote