Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 13:22   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

^^ Please go through last line of my post, that will answer the query. My post is just for the extreme reactions.

Please continue the discussion on Honda/Toyota vs Euro Reliability here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html (PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!)

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th May 2011 at 13:26.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:24   #17
BHPian
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

@ vkochar:

I don't mean to sound offensive, but try defining "otherwise brilliant and excellent VFM" when you are stranded on a highway in the middle of the night (or a hot summer afternoon, take your pick) with a brand-new 20-lakh-rupee luxury car that just broke down (for whatever reason, thats irrelevant for a brand new car).

Just because Skoda cars use some complicated thingamajig technology, doesn't mean its alright for them to start failing right after rolling out of the showroom.

By now, all of us know that most Skodas suffer engine/gearbox problems. But are these supposed to exist in 20-lakh-rupee cars?

Maybe Skoda should get a declaration signed from every customer stating:

"I hereby declare that since I am buying Skoda's DSG gearbox (or whatever complex thingy they put in their cars), the technology for which being experimental and complex, I am buying the car at my own risk, and I will not hold Skoda or any of it's dealers responsible for it's failure."

V.A.G needs to get it's Skoda act together, fast.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Skoda, and looking at the way things are going, I don't intend to do so anytime in the future.

@ samyakmodi: Are "any" problems supposed to occur in a brand new car? Is the nature of the problems even relevant here?

Again, apologies if I sound offensive to anyone.

- Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:26   #18
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 138
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

I mean paying 18.6 lakhs, travelling less than 4K km on a new vehicle and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere does scare people, thinking of it from saftey of family members in my opinion reactions are justified. It could be any manufacturer but seems that Skoda loves lemons.
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:30   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

We somehow tend to overlook the obvious!! I remember Honda recalled some 50K odd City's recently, don't remember the reason although we have a thread somewhere in here. so basically aren't they saying that 50k odd of their vehicles were defective!!
Other than recalling vehicles all other issues are isolated cases.
The alternator on my Palio conked off within the first year itself, got replaced under warranty. But, it would be unfair to relate the incident to a defective piece.
There are a thousand of moving parts in a car, & although I do agree that the quality scan within each manufacturer's unit's should be defect free, like it or not "mechanical parts do fail", sometimes due to a defective part & sometimes due to driver\owner negligence.
I have seen friends abuse their cars like no one's business & then blaming the product\manufacturer when it eventually breaks down.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:33   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

This is what happens when one earns a bad reputation. OK, the car failed twice. A new car at that. But as Anshuman rightly stated, havent there been other cars from other stables that have failed? Why is it news only when Skoda fails? Or is it so that once you plonk 20L on a car, its not supposed to fail?

For the record, yes I am a Skoda owner and yes, I have had a headache free owning experiance till now. The A.S.S has been good for me, but thats a completely different topic.

P.S: This is in no way Pro Skoda or Anti Skoda rant from my side. Just a post to the extreme reacitons this thread has gained.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:41   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
This is what happens when one earns a bad reputation. OK, the car failed twice. A new car at that. But as Anshuman rightly stated, havent there been other cars from other stables that have failed? Why is it news only when Skoda fails? Or is it so that once you plonk 20L on a car, its not supposed to fail?

It should NOT PERIOD . Even if it breaksdown ,the turn around time to repair it should be matter of hours at the same time immediate replacement car given for the inconvience caused . I don't really understand why should you accept "its ok the car can breakdown with manufacturing defect " ? , be it 20 L or 2 L car .

Lets assume that you accept the car can breakdown , look at their customer care attitude( pathetic) towards a person who has invested 20 L on their company products .

No only poor engineering/Quality control but poor customer service .

Last edited by black12rr : 30th May 2011 at 13:45.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:43   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,135
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
We somehow tend to overlook the obvious!! I remember Honda recalled some 50K odd City's recently, don't remember the reason although we have a thread somewhere in here. so basically aren't they saying that 50k odd of their vehicles were defective!!
Other than recalling vehicles all other issues are isolated cases.
The alternator on my Palio conked off within the first year itself, got replaced under warranty. But, it would be unfair to relate the incident to a defective piece.
Mine was recalled too. I know 3 different people who's City's too were recalled. But none of us was left stranded anywhere. Yes, defects are likely but how often and how serious is the question. Germans or Europeans seem to lead the way here.

And if my City was recalled for something again and I would begin to doubt the trust I put on Honda for being reliable whether it left me stranded or not.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:44   #23
BHPian
 
tazmaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 660
Thanked: 1,128 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
We somehow tend to overlook the obvious!! I remember Honda recalled some 50K odd City's recently, don't remember the reason although we have a thread somewhere in here. so basically aren't they saying that 50k odd of their vehicles were defective!!
Other than recalling vehicles all other issues are isolated cases.
The alternator on my Palio conked off within the first year itself, got replaced under warranty. But, it would be unfair to relate the incident to a defective piece.
There are a thousand of moving parts in a car, & although I do agree that the quality scan within each manufacturer's unit's should be defect free, like it or not "mechanical parts do fail", sometimes due to a defective part & sometimes due to driver\owner negligence.
I have seen friends abuse their cars like no one's business & then blaming the product\manufacturer when it eventually breaks down.
Agreed but the reason why Skoda is making it to news is because they are super expensive to fix, the dealers and skoda care a dam for the customer and they have not taken any corrective steps to rebuilt trust (example: a recall). A recall for faulty parts only shows that the company is committed to the person who gives them business. Skoda has complex technologies and their staff is under trained but whose responsibility is it to fix this issue? A customer should never get a reply saying "Sir the technology on the car is complex and it will take time to sort it out". If the technology is complex have the tools and engineers to tackle it else don't sell them!
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:54   #24
BHPian
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

@ Swanand: This is also what earns one a bad reputation, depending upon which way you look at it.

Brand new cars from all stables do fail, and it is an unpardonable thing, irrespective of the price of the car. Even if a brand new Nano fails (under normal usage), TML is guilty, no doubt. To put it in your words, even if you plonk 2L on a "brand-new" car, it is not supposed to fail. At least, that would be my expectation; niggles I can bear. If they can't assure a breakdown-free experience, I'll take the Japanese car, thank you.

But in Skoda's case, the numbers are markedly higher than those for other brands. And I feel one the reasons for this is their high-handed approach towards dealing with the situation after their car has broken down. This forces the aggrieved owner lash out in public against the manufacturer.

Instead, if they choose to take a customer-centric approach to the problem (MSIL anyone?), the aggrieved owner will pardon the manufacturer and let it go, thereby keeping the "known" number of failures low.

To summarize, it is the what the manufacturer does "after" the breakdown that separates the men from the boys. In that sense, Skoda needs to grow up.

@ black12rr, asr245 and tazmaan: +1.

- Bullitt

Last edited by Bullitt : 30th May 2011 at 13:56.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:02   #25
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 792
Thanked: 261 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
@ vkochar:

I don't mean to sound offensive, but try defining "otherwise brilliant and excellent VFM" when you are stranded on a highway in the middle of the night (or a hot summer afternoon, take your pick) with a brand-new 20-lakh-rupee luxury car that just broke down (for whatever reason, thats irrelevant for a brand new car).

Just because Skoda cars use some complicated thingamajig technology, doesn't mean its alright for them to start failing right after rolling out of the showroom.

By now, all of us know that most Skodas suffer engine/gearbox problems. But are these supposed to exist in 20-lakh-rupee cars?

Maybe Skoda should get a declaration signed from every customer stating:

"I hereby declare that since I am buying Skoda's DSG gearbox (or whatever complex thingy they put in their cars), the technology for which being experimental and complex, I am buying the car at my own risk, and I will not hold Skoda or any of it's dealers responsible for it's failure."

V.A.G needs to get it's Skoda act together, fast.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Skoda, and looking at the way things are going, I don't intend to do so anytime in the future.

@ samyakmodi: Are "any" problems supposed to occur in a brand new car? Is the nature of the problems even relevant here?

Again, apologies if I sound offensive to anyone.

- Bullitt
no offenses taken - and point well taken.

what i wanted to point out was the over reaction here just because it's a skoda. how many ferraris have caught fire till date with just fast driving - considering it's built for that?? I am inclined to believe the percentage OR PPM is higher than things going wrong with a Skoda.

I was not saying that a vehicle worth even 2 Lacs should be accepted with any manufacturing defects - the point is that things do go wrong. People do drive differently - and at times few delicate parts might break down. I am not saying that it is acceptable. All I was trying to say that Skoda is not the only company which has a record of breaking down. There are plenty other mass producers here who's vehicles breakdown every now and then and we don't create a fuss about it here as much as we end up doing for Skoda.

we should wait for a detailed report before lashing out is all i am saying.

Peace!!

Last edited by samyakmodi : 30th May 2011 at 14:20.
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:14   #26
BHPian
 
flipsyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 636
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Its a Skoda. I would have been awe-struck if the story went well. They should stop making cars and make furniture instead. Cos the way I see it their interior quality, fit and finish is brilliant!

I for one have the poorest opinion of Skoda and its products. Not to say that rival Germans don't break down but Skoda just doesn't seem to care about its customers. When I spend close to 20L or more on a car I want to feel like I matter at least a slight bit to the company.

I have had excellent experience with Toyota A S S. Maybe Skoda can learn a thing or two from the Japs.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:26   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Its a Skoda. I would have been awe-struck if the story went well. They should stop making cars and make furniture instead. Cos the way I see it their interior quality, fit and finish is brilliant!

I for one have the poorest opinion of Skoda and its products. Not to say that rival Germans don't break down but Skoda just doesn't seem to care about its customers. When I spend close to 20L or more on a car I want to feel like I matter at least a slight bit to the company.

I have had excellent experience with Toyota A S S. Maybe Skoda can learn a thing or two from the Japs.
May the good lord bless me then I am expecting delivery of my 1.6 Fabia soon!!
However, I am not deterred by the isolated stories. I was called a mad man when I purchased my Palio from Fiat. The car stopped only once in the city when it blew it's alternator. Other than that, it never ever failed us.

Last edited by mb_jg : 30th May 2011 at 14:28.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:33   #28
BHPian
 
flipsyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 636
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
May the good lord bless me then I am expecting delivery of my 1.6 Fabia soon!!
However, I am not deterred by the isolated stories. I was called a mad man when I purchased my Palio from Fiat. The car stopped only once in the city when it blew it's alternator. Other than that, it never ever failed us.
Congrats on your new car! You shouldn't get put off by off beat stories. Every car manufacturer screws up every now and then. Just that Skoda seems to be doing a lot more screwing up and grabbing all the bad limelight
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:37   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Congrats on your new car! You shouldn't get put off by off beat stories. Every car manufacturer screws up every now and then. Just that Skoda seems to be doing a lot more screwing up and grabbing all the bad limelight
Not worried at all. I would rather enjoy the car than sit & worry about it breaking down. I've read worse about the bad publicity that FIAT received, although they have brilliant products.
I clearly remember a friend who owned a Palio 1.6 GTX. He loved driving it hard but cribbed like hell about the F.E I would've shot myself if I had a gun!!
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 14:55   #30
BHPian
 
Bullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 194
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

@ samyakmodi: Refer my previous post.

IMO, Skoda has yet to learn the art of "damage control" once one of it's products has broken down. Only a good damage-control exercise can cover-up the incident, by keeping the customer satisfied and letting the problem go unnoticed from the eyes of the press and forums like TBHP.

But, for whatever reason, they just don't want to engage an aggrieved customer in a pro-active manner. This forces the customer to report even the smallest of incidents, in turn increasing the failure count for Skoda and giving them a bad name.

To sum it up, Skoda is the only company with a "highly visible" record of breaking down. And they choose to keep it that way.

This is precisely why the Honda's and Toyota's of the world engage in recalls (heck, even TML did something of the sort for the Nano). They engage customers proactively, thus keeping the faith intact, and the number of reported failures against them low.

And this is not about "manufacturing defects", its about "complete breakdowns", 2 entirely different things. The former need not be show-stoppers for the customer, and would merely qualify as a "niggle" if it doesn't affect the customer a lot.

Ferrari's catch fire too, but considering their client list, I'm sure they must be replacing it el-pronto, lest they get a bad name amongst the remaining limited list of prospective "elite" customers. But then, I haven't bought a Ferrari yet, much less burned it down by superfast driving, so how would I know?

(Which also implies that I'm open to any positions of test-driver in their organization. :-P )

@ mb_jg: Congrats on the new acquisition! Hope it gives you millions of (s)miles!

P.S. I feel Skoda-bashing threads like this one can give prospective Skoda owners some good lessons. Just ignore the bashing bit and pick up the useful stuff, especially from previous owners.

Last edited by Bullitt : 30th May 2011 at 15:00.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!! djpeesh Superbikes & Imports 169 18th September 2017 02:32
Yet another Skoda Yeti fi.robin Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 77 10th March 2013 15:59
The Yeti® writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb) Sam Kapasi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 406 6th July 2012 20:32
‘Torque Automotive have sold me a used car’ - Yet another Skoda story h@r$h@l Indian Car Dealerships 63 30th April 2012 23:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks