Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Is a Skoda worth buying anymore?
Yes - The strengths of the product outweigh the ownership headaches 66 23.24%
No - Service and Support matter to me as much as the car 218 76.76%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th September 2006, 15:58   #136
BHPian

Guys!!!!!

One more observation I had made earlier also regarding airbags... Got it confirmed from Skoda guys.. You need to replace the entire dashboard as well as the airbag kits once it is blown and you need to shell out close to Rs. 1,75,000/- to restore it.

I just want to know that is this the case with all the cars equipped with airbags????

And these guys also confirmed that all these cost can be claimed through your insurance.

Cheers...
sumitdongerkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 16:13   #137
Team-BHP Support

sumitdongerkery, since dashboard/airbags come under "Plastic" you get just 50%.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 16:26   #138
BHPian

Very true... But I am amazed by the fact that entire dash needs to be replaced.. I find it ridiculous... just keen to know whether other cars also have the same issues with airbags

Cheers
Old 29th September 2006, 16:28   #139
Team-BHP Support

If you have the unfortunate incident where your airbags are deployed in a Octavia, you will have to change the following:

1. Drivers side airbag
2. Passenger airbag (if there was a passenger present and was wearing his seatbelt)
3. Both front seatbelts (if they were in use)
4. Upper portion of the dashboard (as the passenger airbag tears a portion of it when inflating).
5. Airbag module (though the VW forums say it can be reset).

All that costs quite a packet.

Quote:
I just want to know that is this the case with all the cars equipped with airbags?
Yes, you would need to change all those parts on any airbag equiped car. Though, the dashboard design indicates whether you would have to change the dash as well.

And airbags are expensive. It doesn't matter if they are for a Skoda or a Swift, they all cost upwards of Rs.25,000/- each becuase they are imported and incur a duty (Govt. making money off our lives). And the insurance only covers 50% (those cheats!).
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 17:01   #140
BHPian

I mean I was surprised listening to all the changes involved in restoring the airbags back after an accident... Am just wondering how many in this forum are actually aware of all this
Old 30th September 2006, 17:25   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
If you have the unfortunate incident where your airbags are deployed in a Octavia.
how very true!!!
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 18:12   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont understand why. RT, pls elaborate
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 06:58   #143
BHPian

i've heard of many incidents in which if a skoda just bumps a little, the airbag will come out....but if a big crash takes place, the airbag remains intact!!!.....

another interesting fact when we went to the Ford Showroom to see the Fiesta, when it was launched......my father asked the sales exe why there were no airbags in Fiesta, even as an option.....guess what he said???.....he narrated two incidents

first one was reg Skoda......a very well known garment showroom in Trivandrum had 4 founders.......one of them had an accident and was killed.......the airbag in his Skoda didnt deploy......a case was filed in the court against Skoda for 20 Lakhs.......it was all over the paper........this he said to illustrate that, even if you have an airbag, it need not deploy! particularly against Skoda, by adding that insurance companies are refusing to insure a Skoda!!!.....i dont know whether its true, but only that one of the founders died in a car crash.....

second one was reg Ford Endeavour......another well-known businessman in Kerala had a very big accident on the Highway, but they were saved due to the airbags.......the repair cost 3 Lakhs including 1.5 Lakhs for replacing the airbags!!!.....this he said to illustrate that Ford cars' airbags were good, unlike Skodas'.....but very expensive at 1.5 Lakhs.....but nobody values money over life ......i dont know whether its true

then my father asked him, the swift priced at Rs.5 Lakhs has airbags.....then how come the airbag replacement costs 1.5 Lakhs.....he said the airbags costs around 50k (for 2)......but for replacing an airbag, he mentioned all the things "Rtech" said except the seat belts.......

@ Rtech: why seatbelts?
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 11:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have the unfortunate incident where your airbags are deployed in a Octavia, you will have to change the following:

1. Drivers side airbag
2. Passenger airbag (if there was a passenger present and was wearing his seatbelt)
4. Upper portion of the dashboard (as the passenger airbag tears a portion of it when inflating).
5. Airbag module (though the VW forums say it can be reset).

All that costs quite a packet.
Rtech

Why seatbelts?

What about the steering-boss?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 11:33   #145
BHPian

The seat belts come with pre tensioners that activate just before a crash to hold you back.

The Fiat Palio comes with pre tensioners on the driver's side only.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 12:53   #146
Team-BHP Support

Skoda seems to be heading the Fiat India way. Good products bad service. Do these European companies - Rover, Peugeot, Fiat and now Skoda really don't care about having a stiff upper-lip attitude in India??
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 13:06   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rover, Peugeot, Fiat and now Skoda really don't care about having a stiff upper-lip attitude in India??
Peugeot is now busy making fun of India and its people...

lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 13:15   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Peugeot is now busy making fun of India and its people...

In no way do i consider that "making fun of Indian people".
That is a brilliant commerical !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 13:24   #149
Senior - BHPian

It is a matter of individual perception. I do not see any brilliance except typical Euro condescension.

Your conclusions may be different from mine.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 14:51   #150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i've heard of many incidents in which if a skoda just bumps a little, the airbag will come out....but if a big crash takes place, the airbag remains intact!!!.....
I am extremely surprised you mention this as I have seen a similar story.

Two Skodas, which had a worse frontal damage than Rtechs, did not deploy their air-bags. However, Rtechs with a much lesser level of damage had both its airbags deployed.

Yeah yeah, I know all about airbag sensors and how they work. Thats why I was surprisd on seeing this.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote