Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Is a Skoda worth buying anymore?
Yes - The strengths of the product outweigh the ownership headaches 66 23.24%
No - Service and Support matter to me as much as the car 218 76.76%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2006, 23:55   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

well guys; skoda is maintaining market monopoly, and most of the spare parts can't be found openly, other than authorised workshops. which is why, maintaining a skoda can become a hassle after the first three years or so. speaking for myself, i can say that i wouldn't like to be stuck with a 3 year old car whose periodical maintenances run sky-high. (the damn clutch, pressure plate and release bearing replacement costs a whopping 73,000 bucks; similarly priced corolla has the same spare parts priced at around 18G's. both prices are approx. authorised showroom prices, and inclusive of labour. the price lists are long, and the some of the differences are UN-Believable.)

hate to say it, but the way things stand today, i might not recommend a skoda.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 00:10   #77
jat
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

It seems to be getting a little hot here. Let's start the air con

To understand the problem, we will discuss without involving cars now. Suppose a person wants to buy something (which he usually buys once in 3~6 months) and there are many high quality products available in market. He picks up one for some reason - say there is a beautiful salesgirl with a beautiful smile (please note quality of product is independent of salegirl beauty or her smile) ;-). But when he visit the shop, the salesgirl continue to ignore him and keeps on talking to another salesgirl even though he is the only customer in the shop for quite some time. Don't you think that guy is going to walk out frustrated and go to some other shop? That's quite human. And that's what we are discussing here. Hardly anybody has gone against the quality of Skoda, but again the attitude of the company and its dealer is such that they don't want be market leaders. See Hyundai - their product was never considered good but they gained a foothold in market because they kept on learning from complaints from customers. And Palio was considered as one of the best products in the market but has lost due to company attitude. What we want the Skoda to do is to look at the customer requirements. It has to adjust as per customer requirements. If you want to have beer and the waiter insists on serving wine because the wine they serve is best, would you like to have it. Just go over Karthik's problem and you can understand. You can get a feeling that neither company nor the dealer is actually interested in solving their problem.

In case on Hyundai, when they launched CRDi, they had a small fault of some plastic hose connecter got cracked in somebody's car in small town. They changed the design and changed it all the cars manufactered on before the design fault. Now you can understand, why they are able to win the trust of comman man. And most the guys in India don't read car magazines etc.

RK

Last edited by jat : 1st February 2006 at 00:12.
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 00:21   #78
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
It seems to be getting a little hot here. Let's start the air con

To understand the problem, we will discuss without involving cars now. Suppose a person wants to buy something (which he usually buys once in 3~6 months) and there are many high quality products available in market. He picks up one for some reason - say there is a beautiful salesgirl with a beautiful smile (please note quality of product is independent of salegirl beauty or her smile) ;-). But when he visit the shop, the salesgirl continue to ignore him and keeps on talking to another salesgirl even though he is the only customer in the shop for quite some time. Don't you think that guy is going to walk out frustrated and go to some other shop? That's quite human. And that's what we are discussing here. Hardly anybody has gone against the quality of Skoda, but again the attitude of the company and its dealer is such that they don't want be market leaders. See Hyundai - their product was never considered good but they gained a foothold in market because they kept on learning from complaints from customers. And Palio was considered as one of the best products in the market but has lost due to company attitude. What we want the Skoda to do is to look at the customer requirements. It has to adjust as per customer requirements. If you want to have beer and the waiter insists on serving wine because the wine they serve is best, would you like to have it. Just go over Karthik's problem and you can understand. You can get a feeling that neither company nor the dealer is actually interested in solving their problem.

In case on Hyundai, when they launched CRDi, they had a small fault of some plastic hose connecter got cracked in somebody's car in small town. They changed the design and changed it all the cars manufactered on before the design fault. Now you can understand, why they are able to win the trust of comman man. And most the guys in India don't read car magazines etc.

RK
While I agree 100% with you on the human psyche... Skoda is far better than Hyundai when comparing cars over a budget of 12-13L. Kindly surf our forum and read what a mess they've made out of the Sonata Embera in India... The Tucson is another shining example of this. Hyundai is good till Elantra level, but beyond that, Hyundai loses it far more than what Skoda does. At the same time, I must also say that Hyundai does have it's spare parts priced reasonably.

OT: Amit bhai, no jaadu ki jhapi for me? hehehe ... See, I do have an open mind and I still see you as the same Amit who thinks like my heart (refer Sonata Embera thread).

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 1st February 2006 at 00:25.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 00:38   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
but if you look at the money taken out of your pocket, a petrol corolla will cost you the same.
Buddy ,you are spot on ,thats what i am trying to say since my very first post.. but i would slightly differ from you cos i feel in long run(say after 3 years of ownership) a Diesel skoda will slightly be having a upper hand (included the premium they charge for service) but never the less, i take your words that a petrol Corrola will cost us as much as a Diesel Skoda(assuming both were trouble free) than why the heck are we discussing/arguing over this ,we all need to understand that if we drive more than 70-80kms/day ,the cost of ownership comes out to be more or less the same ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
OFF TOPIC, KINDLY EXCUSE! you like the Octavia and feel it's the best for you, so, go for it and don't care what anyone says.
Haha ,nice advice there boom . You know what ,apart from the discussion/argument what i am really improving on is my typing speed(yes i am very bad at it) and let me tell you only team-bhp could make me do this or else i am a lazy head .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 01:36   #80
BANNED
 
MrBoombastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Haha ,nice advice there boom . You know what ,apart from the discussion/argument what i am really improving on is my typing speed(yes i am very bad at it) and let me tell you only team-bhp could make me do this or else i am a lazy head .
I wouldn't call all our (yours, adys, amits and mine) posts an argument... We all put in our different viewpoints and weigh them... This is what helps technology/ cars improve and also helps us Team-BHPians and the guests who surf our forum make the right choices. I'm sure the 4 of us know this in our hearts and if we were all in the same city, the 4 of us are mature enough to have even gone for a fun-filled drive together after just 5 minutes of this discussion.

NOTE! I do realise you said discussion/ argument. As far as typing goes, Team-BHP is improving my typing skills too... I'm a two finger typist

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 1st February 2006 at 01:38.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 02:53   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
This is what helps technology/ cars improve and also helps us Team-BHPians and the guests who surf our forum make the right choices.
I completly agree bro ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
if we were all in the same city, the 4 of us are mature enough to have even gone for a fun-filled drive together after just 5 minutes of this discussion.
OT Wow, now that would 've been great if we could do something similar ..but having said that i would love to meet motormom too, to take her blessings and learn/share some of the experiences .. Lets hope we do it someday,sooner than later ..
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 11:26   #82
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

Guys, lets not get petty here. State your opinion and be done with it. You can't please all of the people all the time.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 12:46   #83
BHPian
 
Beeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Treasure island
Posts: 335
Thanked: 2 Times
Talking

Just wondering wether all the people who voted own skoda cars but i dont mean to offend or say that others should not vote..
cheers!!

Last edited by Beeman : 1st February 2006 at 12:48.
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 12:52   #84
Max
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Thane
Posts: 534
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

wow !!! this is the kind of information I was always looking for about skoda. All of my friends used to say that skoda is hell lot of costlier to maintain and I found this to be true!

Buying elephant is another thing and maintaining it is other !
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 17:18   #85
BHPian
 
turbofreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool Skoda didnt surivive 26th july rains in mumbai

Hi ,

During the heavy rains in mumbai on 26th july according to a survey skoda and honda cars were most affected. Please keep this in mind too..

Regards,

Turbofreak
turbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 21:02   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Nothing to do with skoda here. Any car with ECU when gets water in ECU means expensive repairs, except when its an indian made car(100% indian) where ECU costs 10000rs approx rather than 30000+.

And according to another survey 99% of the surveys are false
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 21:43   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
And according to another survey 99% of the surveys are false
thats a good one
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 22:14   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
karthik247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR, HYD
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

First of all, i have to say that Skoda is simply a great car to drive. Even after all those repairs that i had this month, i still feel good driving the car which is back to full performance. Now it may not be a great car for the people who are chauffered but once ur in the front seat i'm sure it'll beat Corolla, Elantra and the Optra which are in the same league.

So on one hand YES its a great car if ur gonna be driving it.

But the service is not upto the mark. Regular services take almost a whole day and i've seen cars in the workshop that were there for routine service and took 2 days for it to complete. And i've also kinda been cheated cuz they once filled normal oil instead of the synthetic oil i always prefer. Parts as everyone know are way over priced. If u see the ACI Nov 2005 magazine, u'll see the cost of the parts compared to the other cars in its segment. So driving it can be as much fun as it can be risky and hard on ur wallet. But most people buy the Skoda for the high FE and most of them do get arnd 15kmpl on an average.

But i dunno abt the dealerships in other places, but only if they were better Skoda would have been the best car in the segment. Oh and ofcouse u'll also need a lil more cheaper parts.

So Skoda's are great cars, but u better be careful while driving them or else...

Last edited by karthik247 : 1st February 2006 at 22:15.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 22:26   #89
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
First of all, i have to say that Skoda is simply a great car to drive. Even after all those repairs that i had this month, i still feel good driving the car which is back to full performance.

So on one hand YES its a great car if ur gonna be driving it.
Another example of underage / illegal driving (according to your profile)!

karthik247 - nothing against you personally but lots against underage / illegal driving.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 23:30   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Give us the source. We have sold a bunch of Tdi DSG Jetta's and none has had any problems so far. Owners can't stop raving over the DSG and no one has made any complaints about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
source?
Oops ,i am sorry i forgot to mention the source ..

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs...8834&start=120
Go through this forum and you 'll find ample of Audi owners crying and regreting why they went for DSG ..
But ,the good news is that most of the problems 've been rectified now by VW group ,though there still seems to be the odd(minor) issues or two ..

Having said that ,i think Laura owners need not get worried cos i havent heard any such issues with it but ya they need to take good care of hers ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
i ve heard some kinda problems new octavia owners facing with the DSG.
Correction : what i actually heard in the forum(briskoda.net) was that many people were facing MAJOR problems with their Audis not the Skodas ..
No such DSG problems in skodas ,thankfully .

Last edited by Beemer : 1st February 2006 at 23:44.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lancer in 2L? Makes sense anymore? aalaap Sedans 65 8th March 2015 21:50
nhc isnt new anymore. manaa45 Street Experiences 8 7th August 2007 12:40
Should we trust the J.D. Power Rankings anymore ? mithun The Indian Car Scene 9 11th December 2006 10:58
Do people actually buy cassette players anymore? Rtech In-Car Entertainment 39 3rd February 2006 15:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks