Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th February 2007, 14:24   #76
BHPian

I saw that too on NDTV. It seemed more on the lines of the SRV although the rear space wasnt as luxurious..
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 14:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

Fabia drive in Portugal was on CNBC, I think. Anyway, I saw it too and was disappointed with the car. It looks too much like the Swift. Also, the engines were disappointing. Petrol was a 1.2! I am sure with 68bhp it will be ponderous. And diesel was a 1.4 but with just 3 cylinders! I am guessing the car will compete with Swift DDis , Getz Crdi and Fiat Grande Punto MJD. The Fabia is going to have one tough fight here.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 16:32   #78
BHPian

i think it will be out in india only by early 2008. I head it on some channel !!
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 16:49   #79
BHPian

Smile

Hi everyone. Like everyone at first, I was also planning to get the Skoda Fabia, until I saw the pictures that came out in the newspaper, (shown in post #62), I was so disgusted that I dropped my idea of the Fabia. I hated its looks, it looked like a compressed octavia from the front and the back looks worse than the Ikon.

This went on until I heard of the plans for the very same Fabia which would be shown at the Geneva Motor Show. I was so sure the foreign version wouldn't be like this. The pics shown in post 64 relieved me. I prefer that kind of shape more than the earlier one.

My hopes are up, that they launch the PD version here with DSG and cruise control would be standard in it, because I want to go for that. The reason I'm going for it is because it's a Skoda, Skoda diesel engines rock, the DSG is simply bliss and I find the need for cruise control a lot do my highway commute. Auto triptronics are so cool!
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 17:04   #80
BHPian

Yep, it was CNBC. The hatch is to come in first followed by end of this year by the sedan early next.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 17:32   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A link to my related topic : Who is going to buy a Fabia? (Why Skoda is not launching the Fabia)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 09:32   #82
BHPian

Source: Skoda Fabia for India

Skoda is going to launch Fabia - a compact car in India by the end of 2007.
The world premiere of the new generation of the Skoda Fabia will take place at the Geneva Auto Show in March 2007 subsequently it will be launched in India. From the looks of it, the 2007 Fabia seems to have a lot in common in terms of design with the new Suzuki Swift.

Some details on the specs as per the article

A total of seven engines for the new Fabia, four petrol and three diesel engines will be available in Europe. But only two variants of diesel and petrol are likely to be offered in India (since only engines under 1500cc for diesel and 1200cc for petrol falls under the tax band of 16%).

These engines are already available in Romania and Czech market. Engines will be borrowed from Skoda roomster-another successful model from Skoda, for Fabia.

Mileage figure in Czech by similar vehicles powered by these engines (though fuel consumption varies for vehicles I believe these figures will help you to evaluate the engine).

Diesel engines:
1.4TDI PD/51 KW —-18.4kpl
1.4TDI PD/59KW —-19.1kpl

Petrol engines:
1.2 HTP/44KW —– N.A
1.2 HTP/51 KW —–14.7kpl

Very important for India (and for Skoda) will be the smallest of these engines offered. The three-cylinder 1198cc 12-valve petrol engine puts out 60bhp but this engine’s 11.4kgm of torque at a low 3000rpm

The 1422cc turbo-diesel will be Skoda trump card though. A three-cylinder version of the Laura’s PD motor, it puts out an impressive 79bhp and an even more impressive 19kgm@ 2000rpmof torque which can be matched only by Maruti swift. So it will go head-on with the Swift diesel, Tata indica and the soon-to-be-launched Getz diesel.

To be competitive apart from the performance and pricing, Skoda has to improve its customer satisfaction (it occupies 9th rank in JD power CSI study) before this launches.

The highlights of the new Skoda Fabia:
• Large boot with a capacity of from 300 to 1163 litres
• Above-average legroom for all passengers
• The best headroom for rear passengers in the small car class
• Choice of different engines
• Audio/mobile phone operation via new remote control module on the steering wheel (option)
• Large tilting sun roof (option)
• Electronically regulated “Climatronic” air conditioning (option)
• Integrated six-CD autochanger (option)
• Two-tier boot cover-which can be installed at two different heights increasing the flexibility and functionality of the boot.
• Curve halogen projector headlights (option)
• Cornering front fog-lights (option)
• Seven different wheel designs, four steel and three alloy
• Diesel particle filter for the 1.4 TDI PD/59 kW and 1.9 TDI PD/77 kW diesel engines
• Attractive rear lights in Skoda’s trademark C-shape
• Higher seat positions for driver and front passenger that afford a better view and more comfortable access

In the rear, a child’s seat can be affixed with a top-tether belt which limits the forward movement of the upper part of the child’s seat in the event of a head-on collision.

Fabia may be priced at around in the price band of 4.5-6lakhs (10-15 percent more than the Getz). What you will get for the premium will be quality levels previously unheard of in this segment, plenty of interior space and solid European build and safety. The Fabia is sure to give Hyundai getz and Maruti swift a few sleepless nights at the very least. It is certainly ahead of the game when it comes to interior space, quality and choice of engines
askicode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 14:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fabia may be priced at around in the price band of 4.5-6lakhs (10-15 percent more than the Getz).
This will most likely mean we will see more diesel fabia's compared to the petrol counterparts on the road.

As Navin[team-bhp mod] say's skoda might as well end up as a diesel engine manufacturer in India,why even bother to get their petrol range here.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 20:09   #84
nbr
BHPian

SKODA will definately bring in the FABIA diesel because, its the diesel which can match SWIFT D or FIESTA D , the petrol motor of SKODA isn't great comapred to the SUZUKIs and FORDs.
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 23:45   #85
BHPian

I have a different take on the likes of Fabia. The iNdian car market is maturing. Put the typical buyer of Swift, Accent, Getz in Palio or fabia and I bet they will be surprised with levels of comfort and quality. this is what a mature customer will look for when he has had enough of Marutis and hyundais, namely -Quality. I agree these cars will not be top sellers but due to their big car feel in a small and affordable package they will appeal to an evolved customer. They will also score because of ease of driving and parking in city due to being a hatch while being up to the job of highway driving. Marginal amount of fuel efficiency differnce will not bother such customers ,And there will be many. but the driving and ownership experience has to be good. what however can spoil the party is poor after sales service.To that extent I agree with GTO that these companies will have to get their aftersales in order.
MADMAX111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 00:31   #86
BHPian

Oops forgot. Pl add Grande punto to that list.
MADMAX111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 12:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

Is it going to be priced in the 5-6 bracket like what Autocar has said ? I think its more going to be 6-7.5 bracket.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 00:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

No the fabia will not make it to india in this form,but check these pics:

Skoda’s Study S2000 is a concept for a future Super 2000 Rally entry.

Pics source:
Study S2000: Skoda’s Super 2000 Rally Fabia
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote