Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 17:29   #1
BHPian
 
Autocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thane/Nagpur
Posts: 322
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

While buying a car, obviously we tend to approach multiple dealers of same brand to get quotes and select the one giving the best offer. At times people work in City X (which is Metro) and belong to City Y (a smaller City). The total cost of buying in City Y is at times cheaper (by 20-30K) due to Octroi benefits (or may be some other reasons) compared to City X (the Metro), hence some of us end up buying and registering the car in City Y and Driving/Servicing in City X.

There could be further combinations and permutations on buying wherein someone buys a car from a dealer in State X and registering in State Y and so on.

I work and live in Thane/Mumbai area but belong to Nagpur. While buying my Fiat Linea, due to various constraints around registering a vehicle in Thane (without owning a house and hence not having permanent address) I ended up buying my Fiat Linea from Jaika Motors, Nagpur.

After the purchase I drove her to Thane and have been using it in Thane/Mumbai area for daily office commutes and occasional outings. Compared to Thane I saved 20-25K.

I am getting my car serviced at Balaji Cars, Thane. Obviously Balaji Cars people do not show proper interest and courtesy while servicing my car. They do not provide pick up or drop off facility for servicing (whereas Jaika Motors, Nagpur provides that service). Sometimes I wonder if I would have got similar service/treatment had I bought the car from them? May be not.

On the other hand, I still get phone calls from Jaika Motors (Nagpur) about various camps organized by Fiat. Yesterday I got a phone call from them wherein Jaika Motors is doing free check-ups for Linea. The lady on phone mentioned Jaika service engineer would be visiting my home, will do the check up at home and let me know if anything needs to be done, afterthat they will give a free gift. Being in Thane means I can't experience this special service/promotion from Jaika Motors. In the last 18 months I never got any such calls from Balaji Cars.

That's where the idea for this thread came in. In my opinion in the long-run it's beneficial to buy and service your car from same dealer (assuming the overall quality of service workshop is above average). The reasons being:

1. One can approach the dealer with more authority than a dealer from whom you didn't buy the car.

2. Dealers in general tend to be more considerate when they know the customer has bought car from them. It typically helps when it comes to warranty issues.

3. One can take advantage of the dealer promotions and special offers that happen from time to time.

Would like to hear experiences of fellow BHPians on this subject for everyone's benefit.
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,696
Thanked: 89,103 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
The total cost of buying in City Y is at times cheaper (by 20-30K) due to Octroi benefits (or may be some other reasons) compared to City X (the Metro)
Just a note : You can still buy the car from City X and ask him to register it in City Y. As long as you have genuine address proof, there is no problem at all.

Quote:
I am getting my car serviced at Balaji Cars, Thane. Obviously Balaji Cars people do not show proper interest and courtesy while servicing my car.
It should not have been this way. Perhaps, Balaji Cars is incompetent overall, including for the cars he sells himself. Remember, the service station usually makes a higher profit than the sales outlet for most dealers. Balaji should theoretically welcome your business.

There might be some bias when it comes to cars with free servicing coupons, as the dealer is reimbursed peanuts by most manufacturers for the free visits. However, they'll roll out a red carpet when its time for paid services & repairs.

3 of the 4 cars I own were serviced at dealers other than the original point of delivery, and I haven't faced a single issue. Ever.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:25   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
I am getting my car serviced at Balaji Cars, Thane. Obviously Balaji Cars people do not show proper interest and courtesy while servicing my car. They do not provide pick up or drop off facility for servicing...... months I never got any such calls from Balaji Cars.
Have you tried the Fortune cars at Wagle estate. As per my information they are pretty good for both Tata and the Fiat brand servicing. In fact when I was scouting for a sedan and had approached them for a TD of Manza they offered me Linea instead and went about hogging the fantastic service provided. An interaction with one of the Fiat owners later confirmed that the service is truly good.

My experience says that no matter whether you get your car serviced from the same dealer from whom you bought or not, the workshop is bound to provide the service. If thats not the case the manufacturer need to be notified about the glaring irregularity.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:37   #4
BHPian
 
mi2n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 421
Thanked: 944 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
In my opinion in the long-run it's beneficial to buy and service your car from same dealer (assuming the overall quality of service workshop is above average).

I'm experiencing quite the opposite.
For the first free service i took my car to the dealer's service centre. It was a neutral experience, nothing to write home about. But the staff were neither friendly nor knowledgeable. The Service center lacked basic facilities like customer lounge, etc. The vehicle was kept the entire day for no apparent reason. Over-quoted on a few accessories.

For the second free service, I took my vehicle to the Service center of the most preferred dealer in the city. Was greeted well, had much better infrastructure than the 1st A.S.S. i visited. They sales staff were courteous and facilities top notch. Vehicle was delivered in 2-3 hours as promised. However, the location of the facility was a bit awkward for me and the sales staff tried to push in some undesirable accessories .

For the 3rd free service i tried my luck at Longia Motors, they do not sell cars and only provide after sale service for Chevy. It was the most homely of all, most importantly, they allowed you to stay with the vehicle while the servicing was done, courteous staff, proper facilities and inspires confidence. Even the senior most officials are easily accessible.

Car dumped coolant, called up Longia's on-road assistance. They gladly and perseveringly addressed the cause. Car was later given to them for checkup of the issue. Again, 1st class treatment offered, everything surprisingly transparent and no money charged for the whole episode.
mi2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:02   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,188 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

I bought my first car from a Hyundai dealer that I never visited again. My DSA from the bank that financed the deal had some "setting" with him and so I picked up the car there. But it was inconvenient for me so I just handed it in for service to another guy who most of the other Hyundai owners in the office used. When I changed cities, naturally I changed service dealerships as well.

With my Swift, I have got it serviced from 2 different MAS outlets and next time will probably go to a third. That's the power of competition for you!

Point being: these guys should be thrilled to be getting your business. If you're getting shortchanged by your service centre, do exercise your power of choice and find a better guy.

Last edited by noopster : 15th June 2011 at 19:04. Reason: Typos!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Smile Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With my Swift, I have got it serviced from 2 different MAS outlets and next time will probably go to a third. That's the power of competition for you!
How is the records maintained for the car when you take it to different service centres every time. Would it not be worth to have the servicing done at one place instead of so many so that atleast the history of the work done, technician details, quality checks is all available at one go and at one place..
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:44   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,188 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How is the records maintained for the car when you take it to different service centres every time. Would it not be worth to have the servicing done at one place instead of so many so that atleast the history of the work done, technician details, quality checks is all available at one go and at one place..
I just keep the hard copies of the service receipts and job cards- they are always to be found in the glovebox!

Crude but effective huh?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:05   #8
BHPian
 
ajitkumarlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

I bought my car from Trident and at least on two occations other service centers have managed to find my contact and have called me for free check up, basically looking for future business/services at their center.

So they basically welcome any new service customers.

But I have not tried it though as the one I bought from is right accross the road near my office.
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:10   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,039
Thanked: 2,075 Times
Red face Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I just keep the hard copies of the service receipts and job cards- they are always to be found in the glovebox!

Crude but effective huh?
Do the service receipts have any details of what the job done was. In my case all i get is the receipts with a single line stating that XX service done, no details. But I have seen at the service centre for my car there is a whole lot of detailed job done history maintained every time the car goes for service of nay kind. I had asked for those details but was refused saying that was for the workshop personnel only. Didn't understand why workshop does not want to share it.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:22   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,188 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic but @ghodlur- which car is this? I have never heard of a service station refusing to share details of services performed and parts replaced on a car. That is pretty basic information that you have a right to.

Please check my Swift ownership thread. The details for every visit are captured there.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,721
Thanked: 2,806 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Do the service receipts have any details of what the job done was. In my case all i get is the receipts with a single line stating that XX service done, no details.
That is strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The details for every visit are captured there.
Same here. I have detailed service history (print outs) of all the service visits - be it any A.S.S. - for all my cars : include MS, Honda, Opel.

Coming back to the main topic : is it such a big deal? I feel it is completely normal and routine to buy from a dealer and get the car serviced at some other.

This thread discusses the same : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-outlets.html (Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outlets)
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 21:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,425 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

They usually welcome new customers since they make business with every customer addition. Think of a word of mouth advertisement they get [and hopefully some new customers as well] once you are happy with them.

I bought my car in Kerala from AVG motors and have serviced it in Surakshaa, Bangalore since I used to work there and I never had any complaints. To be frank, I was so pissed off with the first free service in AVG with issues like wrong tyre rotation [uni-directional tires were mounted in the opposite direction], some paint chipped off on doors while installing rubber door protection and all. But now the service looks better there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
the sales staff tried to push in some undesirable accessories .
That's what the sales team are trained for. They will always try to sell something or the other. If you don't want, you could politely [but firmly if required] refuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
For the 3rd free service i tried my luck at Longia Motors, they do not sell cars and only provide after sale service for Chevy. It was the most homely of all, most importantly, they allowed you to stay with the vehicle while the servicing was done, courteous staff, proper facilities and inspires confidence. Even the senior most officials are easily accessible.
This is basically the DNA of the A$$. Am sure with this kinda treatment, they will be having a wider customer base than the dealerships who sell cars and also service those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have never heard of a service station refusing to share details of services performed and parts replaced on a car. That is pretty basic information that you have a right to.
You are right. Any service centres should provide whathever clarification a customer ask for. For Surakshaa, its a plolicy which is printed on their bills that "please demand compensation if the SE doesnt explain the bill to you" ! And every time [even for general service costing 120/-] the SE tell me about the work done and the cost related to it. Wonderful experience I must say.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 22:17   #13
BHPian
 
raj_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 145
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
With my Swift, I have got it serviced from 2 different MAS outlets and next time will probably go to a third. That's the power of competition for you!
+1 to that. I service my car from 2 different service stations. I have found them neutral in terms of where I have purchased the car from. They are interested in service income, whether it comes from their own sales shop or otherwise. Period.
raj_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:42   #14
BHPian
 
Autocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thane/Nagpur
Posts: 322
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

My 3rd Free service is due in about 1K kms. This is kind of an eye opener to exercise power of choice. But, the comment about Free Service coupons makes me think if I should change service station for 3rd Free Service or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It should not have been this way. Perhaps, Balaji Cars is incompetent overall, including for the cars he sells himself. Remember, the service station usually makes a higher profit than the sales outlet for most dealers. Balaji should theoretically welcome your business.

There might be some bias when it comes to cars with free servicing coupons, as the dealer is reimbursed peanuts by most manufacturers for the free visits. However, they'll roll out a red carpet when its time for paid services & repairs.

3 of the 4 cars I own were serviced at dealers other than the original point of delivery, and I haven't faced a single issue. Ever.
Thanks for sharing your perspective!

My first impression about Fortune was not that great. I went their for one of the Fiat Free Check Up Camps last summer. I thought the facility was very cramped, just for doing a Free Wash and underbody inspection they took more than 2 hours. Hence, didn't go for a proper service. Considering giving them a 2nd chance, this time for a proper full service, if unable to shortlist a better one. Let's see.

OT:

Would appreciate any further inputs about best/better Tata-Fiat service dealers in Mumbai/Thane area (other than Balaji-Thane and Furtune-Thane). Anyone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Have you tried the Fortune cars at Wagle estate.

My experience says that no matter whether you get your car serviced from the same dealer from whom you bought or not, the workshop is bound to provide the service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
+1 to that. I service my car from 2 different service stations. I have found them neutral in terms of where I have purchased the car from. They are interested in service income, whether it comes from their own sales shop or otherwise. Period.


I guess you are lucky. Wish every dealer can be like Longia Motors. Thanks for your inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I'm experiencing quite the opposite.

For the 3rd free service i tried my luck at Longia Motors, they do not sell cars and only provide after sale service for Chevy. It was the most homely of all, most importantly, they allowed you to stay with the vehicle while the servicing was done, courteous staff, proper facilities and inspires confidence. Even the senior most officials are easily accessible.

Car dumped coolant, called up Longia's on-road assistance. They gladly and perseveringly addressed the cause. Car was later given to them for checkup of the issue. Again, 1st class treatment offered, everything surprisingly transparent and no money charged for the whole episode.
Considering using power of choice. Thanks for sharing your views!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I bought my first car from a Hyundai dealer that I never visited again. My DSA from the bank that financed the deal had some "setting" with him and so I picked up the car there. But it was inconvenient for me so I just handed it in for service to another guy who most of the other Hyundai owners in the office used. When I changed cities, naturally I changed service dealerships as well.

With my Swift, I have got it serviced from 2 different MAS outlets and next time will probably go to a third. That's the power of competition for you!

Point being: these guys should be thrilled to be getting your business. If you're getting shortchanged by your service centre, do exercise your power of choice and find a better guy.
I don't know if it's a big deal or not. But for me this was my first new car buying experience, it is definitely a big deal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Coming back to the main topic : is it such a big deal? I feel it is completely normal and routine to buy from a dealer and get the car serviced at some other.

This thread discusses the same : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-outlets.html (Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outlets)
Thanks for sharing the experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I bought my car from Trident and at least on two occations other service centers have managed to find my contact and have called me for free check up, basically looking for future business/services at their center.

So they basically welcome any new service customers.

But I have not tried it though as the one I bought from is right accross the road near my office.
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:50   #15
BHPian
 
Autocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thane/Nagpur
Posts: 322
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Buying a Car from Dealer X and Servicing from Dealer Y. Is it Worth?

Yet to get a response in favor of retaining the sales dealer for service. Looks like its a normal practice to shuffle dealers between Sales/Service.

What about warranty claims?

1. I believe manufacturers share detail about any within warranty replacements with Selling Dealer. How does the warranty claims work in such a case?

2. While running the vehicle, if some of the parts malfunction and are covered under warranty. There would be a room for interpretation and discretion for dealers to settle such claims. Won't you get a better warranty claim service from the dealer that sold the car to you than the other one?

How has been your experience with warranty claims especially when handled by a different service dealer (other than the one you bought car from)?
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a flood hit car for cheap - Is it worth the risk? harishnayak Hatchbacks 50 17th December 2015 17:43
Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outlets Torquedo The Indian Car Scene 18 10th June 2011 12:46
Is it worth it buying a Skoda anymore? GTO The Indian Car Scene 184 26th April 2009 14:27
Is it worth buying a Palio GTX 1.6 bruce Hatchbacks 1 27th March 2006 17:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks