Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd June 2011, 16:19   #1
BHPian

Default CBU registration charges and taxes: How much did you pay?

I hope I am posting this in the forum. Well I was searching for a thread on CBU registration charges and taxes and wasnt able to find anything more than "it is significantly higher than CKD". So I thought it will be good to know from people who have bought CBU's the following:

1) Which car did you buy?
2) What was the registration cost and taxes?
3) How much higher (in terms of percentage) are the charges compared to a CKD or Built in India car of the same price?
4) Do you need to pay a higher transfer of ownership charge when you buy a CBU 2nd hand?

Would be great to hear back from all of you on this as I plan on buying a 2nd hand CBU (since they depreciate like a lot ) soon but wouldnt like to spend a bomb tranferring the same!

MODS: Please do shift this thread if its not appropriate for this section. Thanks.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 22nd June 2011 at 16:35.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:45   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: CBU registration charges and taxes: How much did you pay?

7% regular versus 14% for CBUs. However, the High Court recently passed an order and instructed the RTO to apply the regular 7% tax on CBUs, as they don't use any more road than Indian manufactured cars (Link to Thread (High Court lifts double tax on imported cars)). Of course, the RTO has a right to appeal.

The RTO tax structure varies from State to State. Also note that there is no difference in individual & company registration for CBUs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
7% regular versus 14% for CBUs. However, the High Court recently passed an order and instructed the RTO to apply the regular 7% tax on CBUs, as they don't use any more road than Indian manufactured cars (Link to Thread (High Court lifts double tax on imported cars)). Of course, the RTO has a right to appeal.

The RTO tax structure varies from State to State. Also note that there is no difference in individual & company registration for CBUs.
I doubt this rule has yet come into effect?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:29   #4
BHPian

So I am guessing this rule only applies to Maharashtra as of now. I am sure in Karnataka, they are looting the common man as usual.

How about transfer of ownership for 2nd hand? Are the amounts the same as the normal transfer or there are some extra charges there as well? I know normal transfer of ownership costs about 200-300 bucks.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 20:40   #5
BHPian

Just got off the line with the Volvo dealer guy and as per him S60 being a CBU , the Registration/RTO charges are almost 20% in Mumbai.

Any update if this is coming down ?
barua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 02:42   #6
BHPian

Hello members,
I was also searching on the same matter in respect of my state i.e. Punjab and got to know there is only 5 years validity of road tax on CBUs. And after completion of 5 years, CBU owner has to renew tax according to the newer price of the vehicle.
In case you are looking to buy used CBU car, new owner has to bear 6%-8% transfer-ship fees and recurring 5 years road tax.
Any experienced owner of pre-owned CBU, kindly throw some more light on it.
SYSTEMIZED is offline   Reply With Quote