Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2011, 23:42   #61
BHPian

Default Re: June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Honda: Good show by the City. Quite an achievement with the petrol only option. No improvement whatsoever for Jazz disappointing.
I think Honda are waiting for the response to the City sales before making a call on the Jazz pricing.. Should be pretty convinced now. I doubt its only pricing as they might be exploring cheaper/stripped variants.

Any new news on the Jazz pricing? A friend is waiting more eager than ever before. Its a very close fight between I20 Sports & cheaper Jazz, and Jazz seems to be winning on every front except prices.
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:54   #62
BHPian

Thanks GTO and Smartcat.

Verna and Etios big suprises.

Maruti numbers will be back on track in July, after all maruti customers always dont mind waiting for whatever reason, End of the day they need a MSIL car.
Swift 9k is not bad despite the production loss and despite the 2nd GEN on the cards. Ritz was settling down the 6k mark, has fallen down this month. Expecting to see the Ritz at 8 or 9k mark shortly, people are liking the car now and many Ritz's VDI's on roads atleast in Bangalore now.
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO!

Its sad that the strike affected Maruti sales badly. I am curious to see people buying 32 Kizashi's and 3 GV's. What were they thinking

And 0 Evo's. Why am i not suprirsed?

City beat the Vento this month. But look at Etios 5000+! Once they bring diesel - they will be close to 10K! Etios is certainly taking business away from City.

Verito - did Mahindra revive it or what?

I am very happy Corolla diesel got a thubs down form the market. Hope Toyota takes the feedback well and brings in a 1.8 or 2L engine to the market.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:33   #64
BHPian

Dear GTO,

I have a query - is there one single thread where all the previous stats have been captured? If there is one, I haven't found it yet. If we were able to make one, I or someone could delve into the performance charts to graphically represent MoM, YoY performance of each vehicle, each segment, each OEM etc.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd July 2011 at 11:33. Reason: Please do not quote the full post when replying.
cingsman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 10:48   #65
BHPian

@GTO,thanks very much for the post.Really appreciate it.

Have noticed that Vento has taken the beating that Volkswagen truly deserve.They are too opportunistic and unprofessional.With a slight demand on the product they began ill-treating the customers.Still people desperately flocked at their gates for want of better products.Now with City prices down and Fluidic Verna and SX4 coming up, Vento is getting the correct treatment it deserves.

Guys at Volkswagen,please remember,the car is yours but hard earned money is ours-so the market belongs to the customer not maker.

Last edited by charthom : 3rd July 2011 at 10:50.
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:15   #66
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Shocking numbers for Linea, Lancer and Cedia. IMO all three are fantastic cars, even though the Lancer has been around for a long time.

Good numbers by the Verna, Etios and Bolero. The Etios has surely taken away the market share from all its competitors and the upcoming diesel version will do even more wonders.

Thanks a lot for the compilation, GTO sir !!
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Though I agree to every single point you have made about VW and their attitude, the less numbers aren't due to less demand, but the failure on the part of VW to increase their production numbers. If you want to call it arrogance, I will agree with you once again, since I myself is at their receiving end waiting for my car to be delivered for the past 5 months now. Unless they have a severe shortage of some critical components, I'm unable to understand the reason behind this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom
@GTO,thanks very much for the post.Really appreciate it.

Have noticed that Vento has taken the beating that Volkswagen truly deserve.They are too opportunistic and unprofessional.With a slight demand on the product they began ill-treating the customers.Still people desperately flocked at their gates for want of better products.Now with City prices down and Fluidic Verna and SX4 coming up, Vento is getting the correct treatment it deserves.

Guys at Volkswagen,please remember,the car is yours but hard earned money is ours-so the market belongs to the customer not maker.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:25   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Somehow, I don't believe there is "an 'Etios' factor behind the steep drop in 'Dezire' numbers". The drop in Dzire figures is most likely solely due to the strike at the Maruti plant.
Exactly. Dzire still has the diesel advantage which is almost 70% of its sales. This numbers will remain constant till Etios comes with the D engine.

Quote:
he/she would have been told that the Dzire is not available at that moment and that there would be a long waiting period for it.
Chances of a Dzire available off the shelf is too remote. The Dzire waiting periods should have gone up by at least 2 months because of the strike. But people who want the Dzire [Diesel] will still stick since they don't have any comparatively good option.

Quote:
...immediately pick up the Etios would be remote, simply because there is an equally long waiting period for the Etios.
Etios has a much lesser waiting period, a max 1-2 months compared to 5-6 months for Dzire as per some reports.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:45   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cingsman View Post
Dear GTO,
I have a query - is there one single thread where all the previous stats have been captured? If there is one, I haven't found it yet. If we were able to make one, I or someone could delve into the performance charts to graphically represent MoM, YoY performance of each vehicle, each segment, each OEM etc.
Awesome idea really...I also havent seen such a thread...this kind of an analysis would be awesome and would really indicate the trends and I'm sure we would be able to derive a lot of interesting inferences.
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

These threads have become a monthly platform for some people to vent out there anger and criticize and ridicule car companies they dont like. Earlier it was the City. Now the Vento seems to be the flavour of the season. Somehow magically this month of June people decided en mass that VW has acted too arrogant and decided to boycott there products. And they have all together then flocked to the Hyundai showrooms where the Staff is known for its high professional standards and booked a Verna. What a naive way of analyzing things!
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
These threads have become a monthly platform for some people to vent out there anger and criticize and ridicule car companies they dont like. Earlier it was the City. Now the Vento seems to be the flavour of the season. Somehow magically this month of June people decided en mass that VW has acted too arrogant and decided to boycott there products. And they have all together then flocked to the Hyundai showrooms where the Staff is known for its high professional standards and booked a Verna. What a naive way of analyzing things!
@drmohitg,Hyundai staff have very good in my 11 years of association with them. And I found the volkswagen staff to be shockingly unprofessional in my only 25 minutes I spent with them.

The Verna is selling more because it is a more appealing product overall.The Vento is selling well because it is a diesel and so economical.Since Verna is an overall better product it is logical that it may outsell the Vento. Before Verna, many people had been tolerant to the the Volkwagen arrogance out of sheer lack of choice.Now they can choose-so it is high time that Volkswagen staff dropped opportunism and showed professionalism.

This is not naive-just logical.Let us relish the logic of irony in the sutuation

Do you honestly think that people are being immature and sentimental when they hold resentments against a dealer who ill-treats them when they(people) offer business worth 10.5 lakhs. Anyone in any business should have the basic etiquette-which is to show respect to the taker.
charthom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Market is a great leveller - just like Honda got the much deserved kick up their back side and was made to understand they cannot get away with day light robbery and charging customers around 50K extra based on a brand. its great that we now have equally good or better alternatives which smashes monopolistic pricing behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Though I agree to every single point you have made about VW and their attitude, the less numbers aren't due to less demand, but the failure on the part of VW to increase their production numbers. If you want to call it arrogance, I will agree with you once again, since I myself is at their receiving end waiting for my car to be delivered for the past 5 months now. Unless they have a severe shortage of some critical components, I'm unable to understand the reason behind this!
Bala , one has to look at the struggles of Verna and i can bet Fiesta would also face a similar situation if the response is half as good as ANHV or Vento. None of these companies launch a car with a localisation content anywhere close to their target value. VW, Hyundai , Ford all would launch cars where they would initially import components and slowly scale up local content. Hyundai imports CRDi engines, VW imports engine components , etc. Scaling up is also a factor of the gearing up of the auto ancillary units that they are tying up with and the speed at which they are able to scale up ( which in turn is dependent on a host of other factors such as bank funding , etc) . So its just not a magic tap that gets turned on and production can be scaled up within a few months . Capacity will always follow demand in auto industry since its a well known fact that the biggest bane of the auto industry is over capacity so no one would launch with a 5000 per month demand in mind . Look at what happened in Toyota even - there are enough and more examples so I am not surprised at the long waiting period of the ANHV and certainly not the Vento ( given that VW is a relatively new comer in India with a new ancillary base)

Quote:
Somehow magically this month of June people decided en mass that VW has acted too arrogant and decided to boycott there products. And they have all together then flocked to the Hyundai showrooms where the Staff is known for its high professional standards and booked a Verna. What a naive way of analyzing things!
I found one comment particularly hilarious which predicted that the new Fiesta (alongwith ANHV) would kill off Vento - some path breaking analysis there I am sure which conveniently forgets some bare facts and reviews on the product staring at the face. Ford has always been an also ran in the Indian market so expecting a new product , which is no way path breaking, to break new barriers, is at best naive
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:27   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@drmohitg,Hyundai staff have very good in my 11 years of association with them. And I found the volkswagen staff to be shockingly unprofessional in my only 25 minutes I spent with them.

The Verna is selling more because it is a more appealing product overall.

This is not naive-just logical.Let us relish the logic of irony in the sutuation

Do you honestly think that people are being immature and sentimental when they hold resentments against a dealer who ill-treats them when they(people) offer business worth 10.5 lakhs. Anyone in any business should have the basic etiquette-which is to show respect to the taker.
I must point out that Verna is a better VFM product for some. At the same price of the Vento TDI they offer Electrically foldable ORVM, Steering Controls and USB connectivity. But is that all that you seek in your car? I personally love the way the Vento drives ( only experience has been a TD for both Vento and ANHV on the exact same road) , The built is better, The back seat is better to name a few.

As far as experience with the Staff goes please understand that barring Skoda, Almost everyone else is human. Toyota acted snobbish when fortuner had a 6 month wait, Honda has acted snobbish for the City, VW acted snobbish for the Vento, and my most recent experience with Hyundai while checking the ANHV has been no better. Its what most people follow in India - If your product sells, you are GOD!

As far as After sales is concerned I think VW is doing great. So many forum members have been happy with there service with all the free coupons flying in with the change of every season. Did Hyundai deliver you a coupon for a car?

Competition is supreme. Agreed. For the next 6 months if Vento sales are not better, you have all the right to blame it on poor management. But just one month of dispatch figures is not the right kind of statistics you should base your decision upon.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd July 2011 at 15:29.
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Did Hyundai deliver you a coupon for a car?
Affirmative.I hold a previlege customer card from MGF Hyundai which entitles me 5% discount on all services,spares accessories etc.

Regarding the Dealer attitude-I largely agree with you.Yes, Hyundai has not been great while dealing customers for ANHV. My point was the feelings and reasonings are genuine whether against Volkswagen or Hyundai- it is our moral obligation to see that we and our fellow owners are treated fairly.

I decided against TDing Vento because of cold dealer approach-and don't regret a bit. The only occasion Hyundai guys really misbehaved with me-I stirred up the horn's nest and both the Service manager and Sales manager turned up my residence with a letter of apology.

Let there be plenty of products,healthy competition,and fair treatments so that we don't have to boast/fret about insignificant things.
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:47   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Affirmative.I hold a previlege customer card from MGF Hyundai which entitles me 5% discount on all services,spares accessories etc.

Let there be plenty of products,healthy competition,and fair treatments so that we don't have to boast/fret about insignificant things.
Glad to know you got it.

I am pretty sure VW will pull up its socks if the numbers of ANHV continue to be ahead by such a margin. Let the initial hoopla die down and then a clearer picture will emerge.

Also is VW facing serious production issues? Because last week I was told by the VW showroom in Delhi that the waiting for the TDI is still 3 months. Or may be its fast becoming a fashion amongst car manufactures to keep maintaining a certain amount of waiting time for each product to create an aura.
Closed Thread