Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 19:23   #1231
BHPian
 
Speed Pujari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

I believe there is no comparison happening as such but more of like which is more VFM car, afterall both the cars solves similar purpose.

Certainly a proper guidance is needed for those visiting this thread for decision making purpose.

I dont think there is anything wrong in mentioning Jazz in this thread. That is how people may know the actually worth of Swift.
Speed Pujari is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 20:10   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Guys, as mentioned by many, its going way OT. Apologies. As for my purchase and opinions, will open a thread after first week of september. Can continue the discussions there.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 20:40   #1233
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 210
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, as mentioned by many, its going way OT. Apologies. As for my purchase and opinions, will open a thread after first week of september. Can continue the discussions there.
Well said. And by that time we will also have actual owners of Swift, and that will make it a dual worth participating. I have also postponed the booking of the new Swift D for the beginning of the next year, so as to be enlightened by on road experience of some Swift owners.
anandjha is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 21:35   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,111 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Mods: This might be OT, but excuse for just this time.

My replies/questions in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about looks, ride & handling?

The Punto scores pretty highly on both the looks, ride and handling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Ride and handling is a priority. Punto is on the top of that pyramid without doubt, I agree. But I'm not taking that risk putting hard earned money on a FIAT no matter how better it is!

Fair enough thats your point of view.

6. Should be mod-friendly since I'll be keeping it for a long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sadly, because of their after-sales network. And most importantly, huge depreciation. A first car is a big asset for anyone, and i really cant take the risk with the Punto!

With your point 6 and the the quote of depreciation, how does it matter if your car is being owned for more than 5-6 years.

Also on the After sales service, please do not have presumptions. I have absolutely no issues with the service for a 7 year old palio. There are good and bad service centers with all the manufacturers, so then it would be difficult to buy a car. Its not about the no of service centers, but the quality of service in itself.

More so when the Punto holds up together better than the Swift (read as going by previous standards of swift. As compared to new one, the design has got better but definitely not the quality)
A healthy debate is always welcome with proper justification, however, from some of your posts the only thing that I am able to observe is bias towards swift. I wish you all the best for your new car hunt.
nkrishnap is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 22:38   #1235
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

I wonder what pandemonium the facelifted PUNTO will create when it arrives next year. If the interior quality is up to standard and if the new dash is brought into INDIA, it might cause add a lot of fuel to the hot-hatch segment!!!
AdrenalinJunkie is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 23:01   #1236
BHPian
 
Furebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 312
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
I wonder what pandemonium the facelifted PUNTO will create when it arrives next year. If the interior quality is up to standard and if the new dash is brought into INDIA, it might cause add a lot of fuel to the hot-hatch segment!!!
+1 to that! I mean just look at the new interiors:

Name:  image.php.png
Views: 5389
Size:  219.4 KB

@All: Sorry for going OT...
Furebo is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 23:14   #1237
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I think you should check your facts before you go Tata bashing. How many Vistas have you seen as taxis? I have seen none. Indica. Yes, scores of them. But not Vista.
O/T how many people can differenciate between a Vista and an Indica in first glance in traffic or even care too?

Maybe its a fact (I dunno, dont care) that Tata Indica Vista is not a cab....

However there are millions of folks out there who wont buy a Tata precisely for the Taxi image. Now thats a fact too.
aseem is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 23:23   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,974
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
A healthy debate is always welcome with proper justification, however, from some of your posts the only thing that I am able to observe is bias towards swift.
If its bias not to consider Punto in my purchase, can't help it. I did not tell Punto is a bad car. I told ' Punto is on the top of that pyramid without doubt, I agree. But I'm not taking that risk putting hard earned money on a FIAT no matter how better it is!'

I told I'm not putting my money on FIAT. For various reasons that are already discussed on multiple threads.

@ All: Below is the qoute i received from Popular, Chennai.

Swift ZDi-
Ex- showroom: 6,48,384.
Insurance: 18,504.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 81,074.
On Road: 7,47,962.

Are the insurance and on road figures ok? How much is the exact road tax for chennai? Seems inflated, specially since the life tax and registration figures qouted for Mahindra Verito is 7k less (Forget basic accessories in swift. It would just be some free mudflap and carpets)!

Mahindra Verito. (Zulaikha, Chennai) (Had enquired the same for a friend same day!)
Ex- showroom: 6,77,042.
Insurance: 20,017.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 74,024.
On Road: 7,47,962.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th August 2011 at 23:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 26th August 2011, 23:28   #1239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
O/T how many people can differenciate between a Vista and an Indica in first glance in traffic or even care too?

Maybe its a fact (I dunno, dont care) that Tata Indica Vista is not a cab....

However there are millions of folks out there who wont buy a Tata precisely for the Taxi image. Now thats a fact too.
yes your right, i feel very sorry to say the kind of image TATA has created with the indica name is very bad with personal car owners.

Here in india people think about friends and family reactions before they buy a car ( this will not change even after 50 years from today)

If TATA brings a product like Vista with a new name and without the Indica badge, if they improve on their service network rather than spending 1000crores on the develpment of a nano, then TATA will prosper for sure.

What did maruti do in 2006?

They had a service network in place, they brought a very good product which is the Swift. They created a premium car image in the minds of consumers.

Later they went a step ahead in 2008 by sourcing the diesel heart and ensuring the product delivers the next level of performance.

The result is the car became a king, sold 6lakh units and not to forget they didnt get a chance to sell this king at discounts. they sold this king with hefty profits made on each car they sold.

TATA should learn from this example. I'm not saying TATA is bad, just saying they can do things in a much better way!!

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 26th August 2011 at 23:29.
Crazy4.Cars is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 00:21   #1240
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Lol! If CrAzY dRiVeR doesn't wan't to put his money on FIAT or Tata, thats his wish. The below posts are almost pushing him to buy a Punto or a Vista or a Jazz. If he's happy with a Swift, then thats the best car for him. Or even a Nano thats the best car for him. People have their own reasons to reject a car. Doesn't make other cars inferior.

LETS STOP THIS DISCUSSION RIGHT HERE AND CONTINUE WITH THE NEW SWIFT. THERE IS A PUNTO, JAZZ AND VISTA THREAD TO DISCUSS HOW GOOD THOSE CARS ARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Huge depreciation? Can you please help us out with some numbers or some fact else this remains a rhetoric. Rather than age old stories why dont you read out the ownership reviews to see if there is an actual problem with A$$ compared to other brands.
Why do you hate to admit that ride and handling is not a priority but the resale value 5 years hence is. But then again when comparison with Jazz comes in you start tom toming how good Swift's handling is as if that is all you care for. Come on man, honesty wouldn't hurt here rather proclaiming yourself to be someone you are not.


On one hand you say you don't care much about brand image and and in the same sentence you deride Tata Vista for being a taxi which it is actually not. It was the original Indica which has a taxi image.

I don't care two hoots about brand image but the Indian consumer does and there is no denying the fact that Honda has more snob value than a Suzuki.


It is good when compared to the old Swift which was average at best. Its still quite some way off Jazz's which is one of the best built car around.


Again what are you comparing it to? The older Swift was pretty much average and its not hidden, its all over the forum.


Lets give it another perspective. You want to use it once a year and its still not there. Wagon-R's boot, atleast the older one was much more usable than the Swift. 200 liters boot space in a premium hatchback just doesnt cut. Its not even enough for a small family on a weeks holiday.

In the end Jazz Vs Swift comparison is useless. Jazz is in a different segment altogether which is also reflected in its pricing. Jazz has received rave reviews in market throughout where the Swift isn't even sold.
Bucking the trend, Jazz is one Honda model which is priced cheaper in India when compared to the other markets. In UK Jazz range starts at 11XXX pounds while Swift range starts at 8XXX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I think you should check your facts before you go Tata bashing. How many Vistas have you seen as taxis? I have seen none. Indica. Yes, scores of them. But not Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
So the Fiat after sales is exceeding or atleast meeting the expectation of more than 2/3rd buyers. How is it bad or can be termed worst?


And when it comes to Swift it suddenly becomes the topmost priority when it comes to judging it in comparison with other cars.


More than the youth I see Swift being driven by more middle aged men here in Delhi. That doesn't fit the 'image' thing you are on about.


Why would I do that? Why this fixation with what other people think of your car?


You called it a "mini van" I didn't. Honda makes best petrol engines on the planet and its a fact.


I am sorry but from your posts I can assert that you haven't driven the Jazz at all. And before quoting official reviews, do we have an official review for Swift out yet?
What do you mean when you say the steering and handling arent there? What wrong with handling, oversteer, understeer, no steer? What wrong with the steering? The last I knew, both of them came with electric power steering and are equally life less but then again I find the steering in Jazz smoother and slightly more direct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Mods: This might be OT, but excuse for just this time.
A healthy debate is always welcome with proper justification, however, from some of your posts the only thing that I am able to observe is bias towards swift. I wish you all the best for your new car hunt.
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 00:41   #1241
BHPian
 
iFuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Delhi , Gurgaon & Chandigarh
Posts: 112
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Same question lot of forum members have been asking. Though I very much doubt that the review would tear apart the ANSS, because going by almost all the reviews otherwise out in the public domain, the ANSS is undoubtedly better in pretty much all respects over its predecessor, and hence looks to be a massive, massive success in the making.

But yes, I too am eagerly awating the review. In fact, there is a team member who has already got delivery of the first VDi and has posted his ownership report.
i searched the forum and my apologies as I am a bit new to the search function, however i did not find this said 'team member's VDi ownership report anywhere, can you please guide me to that thread
iFuel is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 01:07   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
@ All: Below is the qoute i received from Popular, Chennai.

Swift ZDi-
Ex- showroom: 6,48,384.
Insurance: 18,504.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 81,074.
On Road: 7,47,962.

Are the insurance and on road figures ok?
Insurance taken from the dealer always will have a huge profit margin. If you already have a vehicle with zero claims, you could transfer that insurance to this car and save on the quoted amount. Also try contacting a couple of insurance companies [Bajaj Allianz / TATA AIG / HDFC] and am sure you can manage much better quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
i searched the forum and my apologies as I am a bit new to the search function, however i did not find this said 'team member's VDi ownership report anywhere, can you please guide me to that thread
The thread might have been moved into assembly section. So we will not be able to see it till the mod team approves it and bumps it into ownership thread.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 02:00   #1243
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Agree with you that the thread goes OT if one gets confined to comparing 2 makes only.

However, whenever a new launch takes place there is a lot of curiosity and natural tendency for folks like us to compare rivals; and i guess that is the best part about these forums.

Moreover, after the lowering of prices, Jazz has put itself bang on against the Swift- they are no more in different segments. The base Jazz's price is identical to that of the Swift ZXi- comparisons are bound to rise.

Also have a look at the essential safety kit. A set of airbags and abs comes as standard on the Jazz starting from the base variant while it is only available on the Zxi. Yes you can argue that Zxi has more equipment levels but these would be offset by the space available and brand value of Honda.

Anyways, my vote goes to the Jazz baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Why are we so diligently comparing Jazz and Swift? Don't they belong to two different segments and cater to different expectations? After all isn't it only one Swift model ZXI that is pitted against 3 of Jazz's?

Jazz has for itself the 'aspirational' value of Honda which is an integral part of the company's marketing strategy, while Maruti, on the other hand markets its products on entirely different planks. While Jazz certainly is a good car but Swift is no raw deal either. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I wonder that for this forum how these attributes are important so as to have quite a number of posts comparing Swift and Jazz. After all 80% of Swift sale is Diesel and in case of Petrol, as mentioned earlier, it is only one ZXI that is pitted against Jazz.

Let's confine ourselves in this thread to Swift and for comparison b/w Jazz and Swift we will have lots of opportunities in the appropriate topics later on.
gaurav911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 09:18   #1244
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 493 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Poor guy near my house, bought a 'new' SWIFT last week and it has already become out-dated now! Wonder what all those Customers must be thinking. I think SUZUKI like YAMAHA should have pulled the R15 out of showrooms much before the launch of the new one
TheARUN is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 10:40   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,494
Thanked: 4,111 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Lol! If CrAzY dRiVeR doesn't wan't to put his money on FIAT or Tata, thats his wish. The below posts are almost pushing him to buy a Punto or a Vista or a Jazz. If he's happy with a Swift, then thats the best car for him. Or even a Nano thats the best car for him. People have their own reasons to reject a car. Doesn't make other cars inferior.

LETS STOP THIS DISCUSSION RIGHT HERE AND CONTINUE WITH THE NEW SWIFT. THERE IS A PUNTO, JAZZ AND VISTA THREAD TO DISCUSS HOW GOOD THOSE CARS ARE.
@ Mods: I know this is OT, but cant refrain from replying.

Agreed, that the choice is with the buyer. I cant remember reading anywhere about somebody pushing Crazy Driver to buy Punto or Jazz. What everybody has done to downplay some ridiculous observations made about the other cars.

But showing other cars in bad light just to push your choice is demeaning someone else's opinion on this forum, isn't that just pasting your opinion on somebody else. If you read my post, I have very clearly mentioned, we need a healthy debate and not a biased one. But its very difficult find such discussion off late.

Off this thread. Lets all praise our favorite cars away to glory.
nkrishnap is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars. vikrantj The Indian Car Scene 236 18th July 2012 21:43
Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 29 9th August 2011 16:15
Another Checkmate ! MSIL Opens Highest Workshop CRtorquefan The Indian Car Scene 14 19th July 2011 14:48
new body kits introduced for estilo and sx4 from msil-damn cheap ram_hyundai Modifications & Accessories 36 5th March 2008 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks