Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 10:53   #1246
BHPian
 
Furebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 312
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Poor guy near my house, bought a 'new' SWIFT last week and it has already become out-dated now!
My sympathies, if he was an unsuspecting customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Wonder what all those Customers must be thinking.
But many people I know of purchased the old swift on purpose as they found it iconic. Beat that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I think SUZUKI like YAMAHA should have pulled the R15 out of showrooms much before the launch of the new one
They did stop the production. The sales made were only of the existing stock. Check previous month sales figures.
Furebo is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 10:56   #1247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
@ All: Below is the qoute i received from Popular, Chennai.

Swift ZDi-
Ex- showroom: 6,48,384.
Insurance: 18,504.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 81,074.
On Road: 7,47,962.

Are the insurance and on road figures ok? How much is the exact road tax for chennai? Seems inflated, specially since the life tax and registration figures qouted for Mahindra Verito is 7k less (Forget basic accessories in swift. It would just be some free mudflap and carpets)!
Okay, please read through the Insurance article in the forum you will get lot of ideas.

please read through my ownership thread, you'll know how is saved 7.5k on insurance when compared to maruti insurance.

Okay remember one major point in insurance, If you buy Maruti insurance underwriten by Royal Sundaram, and if you buy Royal Sundaram Insurance directly from their online website the difference is as follows.

- Maruti Insurance Cashless claims are not rejected irrespective of whatever is the labour charge on the claim amount. For example if you make a claim and the bill is 20k out of which labour is 8k, the amount is taken care fully by MSIL (Since they have some adjustment with the insurance underwriter)

- If you have brought the insurance directly from Insurance companies which have cashless option at most maruti garages like take royal sundaram online for example, if your claim amount is 20k with 8k labour charges, these clever insurance guys have a clause in their policy document saying only chaepest labour garage work amount is santioned, thus he will say if you get this job done outside, the labour charge is only 4k, and they will say you to bear the extra 4k incase you wish the car is taken care at the MSIL dealership.

Note : The above fact is confirmed by the Customer care and SA of royal sundaram when i purchased their policy. They confirmed this fact when i pushed them a lot to explain the difference between the policy when a customer buys directly from them and when a customer buys a maruti insurance.

Remember one more thing these insurance companies like Bajaj A or HDFC ERGO, they will not agree to this fact, no matter how much you ask them, once it is time to make a claim, they will open the clause from the insurance document and keep it in front of your eyes.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 27th August 2011 at 11:01.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 13:07   #1248
BHPian
 
Mr_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 842
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
@ All: Below is the qoute i received from Popular, Chennai.

Swift ZDi-
Ex- showroom: 6,48,384.
Insurance: 18,504.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 81,074.
On Road: 7,47,962.

Are the insurance and on road figures ok? How much is the exact road tax for chennai? Seems inflated, specially since the life tax and registration figures qouted for Mahindra Verito is 7k less (Forget basic accessories in swift. It would just be some free mudflap and carpets)!

Mahindra Verito. (Zulaikha, Chennai) (Had enquired the same for a friend same day!)
Ex- showroom: 6,77,042.
Insurance: 20,017.
Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories: 74,024.
On Road: 7,47,962.
For verito, you total doesn't tally, it comes to 7,71,082.

For the swift, under Registration, Road Tax & Basic Accesories,
1.) Handling charges - 5k (as per popular motors)
2.) Registration - Actual cost (1.2k) + Agent (1.8K) = 3k
3.) 3rd year warranty - Do check the cost. 4.5?
4.) road tax (10%)- 64,838/- rupees + another tax (around 1.5K)
5.) Mudflaps.. - 1.2k
6.) Temporary registration - ?? Why?

Honestly they don't like asking all these, Selva Kumar (Team Lead) of popular motors never turned up after all these.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 27th August 2011 at 13:15.
Mr_Bean is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 13:58   #1249
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
i searched the forum and my apologies as I am a bit new to the search function, however i did not find this said 'team member's VDi ownership report anywhere, can you please guide me to that thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The thread might have been moved into assembly section. So we will not be able to see it till the mod team approves it and bumps it into ownership thread.
unfortunately, the thread seems to have been moved. The owner was from Goa, and had taken delivery of a White Swift VDi. I myself am not able to locate the thread now. But it was originally posted in the New ownership review section.

By the way, I booked a white swift VDi today. On road price is Rs.6.81 lakhs Delivery sometime in Jan- early Feb, which suits me fine, no real hurry to get the new car. SOmething awsome to look forward to in the new year.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th August 2011 at 14:04.
arindambasu13 is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 16:03   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,945
Thanked: 16,632 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Was going through OVERDRIVE magazine's mega comparison test- (Petrols)

Maruti Swift v/s VW Polo 1.6 v/s Hyundai i20 v/s Fiat Punto v/s Skoda Fabia v/s Toyota Liva v/s Ford Figo.

They have the following to say about the Swift P- "Has the best performance, best efficiency, best refinement and most revvy charecter. This is a jewel of a motor. "

Swift is the winner of the comparo. However, i wish Jazz was included in the test as well. New prices wouldn't have been announced at the time of the test!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
My sympathies, if he was an unsuspecting customer.
Maruti gave ads for the new Swift well in advance. If he bought it one week ago, I doubt he would have been aware of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
please read through my ownership thread, you'll know how is saved 7.5k on insurance when compared to maruti insurance.
Thanks. Point noted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
For verito, you total doesn't tally, it comes to 7,71,082.

Honestly they don't like asking all these, Selva Kumar (Team Lead) of popular motors never turned up after all these.
Lol! Thats the qoute given in print by Mahindra dealership. Never cross-checked because i am not looking at the car.

Thanks for the breakup. Looks like some items can be knocked off, atleast if i buy the car in kerala.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th August 2011 at 16:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 16:37   #1251
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Was going through OVERDRIVE magazine's mega comparison test- (Petrols)

Maruti Swift v/s VW Polo 1.6 v/s Hyundai i20 v/s Fiat Punto v/s Skoda Fabia v/s Toyota Liva v/s Ford Figo.

They have the following to say about the Swift P- "Has the best performance, best efficiency, best refinement and most revvy charecter. This is a jewel of a motor. "

Swift is the winner of the comparo. However, i wish Jazz was included in the test as well. New prices wouldn't have been announced at the time of the test!
Yes I saw the episode on TV on CNBC Tv18. 7 cars compared and Jazz not included was a surprise. The other surprise was that Liva was second best compared to cars like Polo 1.6, Figo and i20. Swift was clearly the winner with Sirish saying the one car he would like to take home was the ANSS. But I guess inclusion of Jazz may have made difference to the top 2.
nurni76 is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 16:56   #1252
BHPian
 
mayank10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 73
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Yes I saw the episode on TV on CNBC Tv18. 7 cars compared and Jazz not included was a surprise. The other surprise was that Liva was second best compared to cars like Polo 1.6, Figo and i20. Swift was clearly the winner with Sirish saying the one car he would like to take home was the ANSS. But I guess inclusion of Jazz may have made difference to the top 2.
Well, felt great after watching the conclusion part. The only concern they mentioned about Liva was related to its interior design, which in never affects the performance of the car. Liva performed exceedingly well in the competition and lived up to the T name.

Undoubtedly, Swift has and will be the best Hatch in India. The cult of the car!
But Toyota has done a good job. The car is great if you look at the performance, space and handling.
mayank10 is offline  
Old 27th August 2011, 22:51   #1253
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,982
Thanked: 1,338 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
O/T how many people can differenciate between a Vista and an Indica in first glance in traffic or even care too?

Maybe its a fact (I dunno, dont care) that Tata Indica Vista is not a cab....

However there are millions of folks out there who wont buy a Tata precisely for the Taxi image. Now thats a fact too.
Yes, people may not differentiate between Vista and a regular Indica. But you are a teambhpian and a senior one at that. It shouldn't be a problem for you to tell 'em apart. But of course! You don't care ( I sense a tinge of arrogance here ). Because it's Tata. Urgh! Cheap brand! Or, can we say bloody Indian brand? Innova? No problem. So what if it's a taxi. It's after all a Toyota. The problem is more with mindset of certain "know-alls" in this country than with Tata cars themselves.

By the way, I never owned a Tata car. I own a Lancer and an A-Star. And an Activa and a Honda CBX750. All Japanese. I do not endorse Tata cars either. But then I do not ridicule them either. They are ttrying to get a toe-hold in automotive industry. Ok, you won't buy their products and won't encourage them. that's ok. It's your personal wish. But at least do not try to rub their noses into the dirt either.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 23:39   #1254
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,945
Thanked: 16,632 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Guys,

The overdrive article has got me thinking. Do i need the ZDi version paying 80k+ more than the petrol version.

I calculated our car usage for the past 10 years and it averages to just around 630kms per month. However, this will go up significantly if a diesel comes into the picture. I suspect it will run around 1000 - 1200 kms per month. The swift diesel being a fun drive complicates things even more.

Just for the case of Swift ZXi and ZDi, what would be the average running required to justify the purchase of an ZDi over ZXi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Yes I saw the episode on TV on CNBC Tv18. 7 cars compared and Jazz not included was a surprise.
New Jazz prices would not have been announced at the time! Launch happened only on 18th, IFRC.

Although Swift was launched on 17th, car was made available to the media a week back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Liva performed exceedingly well in the competition and lived up to the T name.
Congrats on the new car mayank10!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th August 2011 at 23:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 28th August 2011, 00:11   #1255
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, people may not differentiate between Vista and a regular Indica. But you are a teambhpian and a senior one at that. It shouldn't be a problem for you to tell 'em apart. But of course! You don't care ( I sense a tinge of arrogance here ). Because it's Tata. Urgh! Cheap brand! Or, can we say bloody Indian brand? Innova? No problem. So what if it's a taxi. It's after all a Toyota. The problem is more with mindset of certain "know-alls" in this country than with Tata cars themselves.

By the way, I never owned a Tata car. I own a Lancer and an A-Star. And an Activa and a Honda CBX750. All Japanese. I do not endorse Tata cars either. But then I do not ridicule them either. They are ttrying to get a toe-hold in automotive industry. Ok, you won't buy their products and won't encourage them. that's ok. It's your personal wish. But at least do not try to rub their noses into the dirt either.
Stating an opinion that most folks share about a product doesnt mean that I am ignorant.

Any person bhpian or otherwise would be hardpressed to notice subtle differences between Vista and Indica V3 (or whatever the latest V is)...

The same is true for new Swift and old gen Swift and I have stated the same in this thread. Having said that, being similar to old Swift (iconic/cult status) car in India is not such a bad thing, but being a similar car to Indica, doesnt envoke same feelings or passions.

Additionaly, Innova is miles apart in refinement, for that matter even Qualis was as opposed to Tata Sumo or Indica, the cars that I have extensively traveled in and was refering too. Just by steping inside a Sumo with my eyes closed I could tell it was not Qualis, the whole damn car rattled and had vibrations. Its that image that Tata needs to shed. Tata needs to come a long way to convince buyers like me that their products carry that same level of refinement and peace of mind that a consumer demands.... They are making steps in that direction, and I appreciate it. However at the same time, the current product line-up just doesnt cut it!

Lastly, please accept my opinions and dont make it personal (implying I am arrogant). I am not directing or asking you to agree wiht my opinions, I am merely stating them....

Cheers Mate!

Last edited by aseem : 28th August 2011 at 00:13.
aseem is offline  
Old 28th August 2011, 10:01   #1256
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Everytime i log into Indian Car scene i would wish this thread is closed,because that would mean the official review is up,but alas!
avishar is offline  
Old 28th August 2011, 10:42   #1257
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

I calculated our car usage for the past 10 years and it averages to just around 630kms per month. However, this will go up significantly if a diesel comes into the picture. I suspect it will run around 1000 - 1200 kms per month. The swift diesel being a fun drive complicates things even more.

Just for the case of Swift ZXi and ZDi, what would be the average running required to justify the purchase of an ZDi over ZXi?
@ Crazy Driver:

Guess what- I am in the same dilemma for the past many days.

Yesterday, I went to the showroom with checkbook in hand. And did a test drive of the diesel. Its a very good car no doubt about that, but the turbo lag under 2000 RPM is very evident. In fact, I was looking at the tacho al the while during the test drive waiting for the power to kick in, though when it did, it was great.

Now, my monthly running is exactly 1000 kms, plus or minus another 150-200. With that figure in mind, and from the calculations that I did, my breack even point for the Rs.1.1 lakh extra (VDi v. VXi) that I pay for the diesel, would be about 50,000 kms, or maybe even slightly more. by which time, I would be in my fifth year of ownership, typically the time when I would probably be looking to upgrade to the next segment.

I went ahead the booked the VDi, but very clearly told the sales person that I may change my booking to a VXi a month or two down the line. I did the booking because that ways, if I do end up taking delivery of the diesel, I would be in the waiting line from yesterday.

The VVT is a cracker of an engine, and if youre a fan of free revving petrols, look no further. The feeling of refinement and smoothness, coupled with the nice steering and handling, will make the K12 a joy to drive. I am still in two minds about my choice, and yes, there is still every possibility that I would instead go for the petrol. The reviews coming in from every quarter only strengthen my belief that its a gem of an engine (I did see the Overdrive show yesterday too).

Your current monthly running definitely does not warrant a diesel. Even if you run about 1000 kms a month, its still a tough call (from the financial perspective), just like the situation I am facing. In my case, additionally, I am a petrol lover (a feeling reinforced after I drove the diesel yesterday, which, though excellent in its own way, just did not give me that X factor that I found when driving petrol Swifts), and that complicates things even more. Also, I found a fair amount of engine noise, which maybe because I am used to driving inherently smoother petrol engines. I am somehow getting the feeling that I should quit worrying about petrol prices, and go with my heart. Lets see what I finally end up doing.

Good luck with your decision

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th August 2011 at 10:47.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 11:51   #1258
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

New Jazz prices would not have been announced at the time! Launch happened only on 18th, IFRC.

Although Swift was launched on 17th, car was made available to the media a week back.

Congrats on the new car mayank10!
Hi it's true Jazz launched on 18th, but that should not have been a criterion. In fact if price was a factor, Polo 1.6 should not have been in the race. I guess Jazz should have very much been there, but I guess they wanted a 7 car shoot out as they did it in North east (7 states). But why leave out Jazz??

Go for the Zxi. If you love Free revving engines, you will love this K series. I have not driven the VVT, but the old K series was a lovely engine & as per reviews the new one is a gem and has taken refinements to a level even better than before. The biggest advantage being you will get the delivery faster

Last edited by nurni76 : 28th August 2011 at 11:54.
nurni76 is offline  
Old 28th August 2011, 13:25   #1259
BHPian
 
MutantX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 868
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Guys, my FIL wants to buy the SWIFT but unfortunately we were unable to locate one dealer in chennai who had the TD Vehicle for the petrol version. Could anyone confirm if they could help us locate a dealer for SWIFT TD (petrol version will be fine).
MutantX is offline  
Old 28th August 2011, 13:36   #1260
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,329
Thanked: 4,191 Times
Default Re: MSIL discontinues old swift. EDIT : New Swift LAUNCHED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
@ Crazy Driver:

Guess what- I am in the same dilemma for the past many days.

Yesterday, I went to the showroom with checkbook in hand. And did a test drive of the diesel. Its a very good car no doubt about that, but the turbo lag under 2000 RPM is very evident. In fact, I was looking at the tacho al the while during the test drive waiting for the power to kick in, though when it did, it was great.

Now, my monthly running is exactly 1000 kms, plus or minus another 150-200. With that figure in mind, and from the calculations that I did, my breack even point for the Rs.1.1 lakh extra (VDi v. VXi) that I pay for the diesel, would be about 50,000 kms, or maybe even slightly more. by which time, I would be in my fifth year of ownership, typically the time when I would probably be looking to upgrade to the next segment.

I went ahead the booked the VDi, but very clearly told the sales person that I may change my booking to a VXi a month or two down the line. I did the booking because that ways, if I do end up taking delivery of the diesel, I would be in the waiting line from yesterday.

The VVT is a cracker of an engine, and if youre a fan of free revving petrols, look no further. The feeling of refinement and smoothness, coupled with the nice steering and handling, will make the K12 a joy to drive. I am still in two minds about my choice, and yes, there is still every possibility that I would instead go for the petrol. The reviews coming in from every quarter only strengthen my belief that its a gem of an engine (I did see the Overdrive show yesterday too).

In my case, additionally, I am a petrol lover (a feeling reinforced after I drove the diesel yesterday, which, though excellent in its own way, just did not give me that X factor that I found when driving petrol Swifts), and that complicates things even more. Also, I found a fair amount of engine noise, which maybe because I am used to driving inherently smoother petrol engines. I am somehow getting the feeling that I should quit worrying about petrol prices, and go with my heart. Lets see what I finally end up doing.

Good luck with your decision
IMO, at times I feel that we get too much invloved in this calculation of breakeven point and tend to miss the fun part of driving.

I would say, if you love only petrol engine and you decide to go for it, then there is no need to think of the breakeven point. If your heart says petrol and you decide to go for diesel then you are always going to think of the breakeven point, mostly whenever there is a increase/decrease in the petrol/diesel prices and you will keep on calculating thus missing the fun part of driving.

If you like going on long drives, then a diesel engine is the right one for you because petrol will definetley stop you from long drives. As mentioned in one of my earlier post, I love long drives but wouldn't feel like going on one because I had a petrol car and the average usage then was 1000Km/month. Now after moving to diesel, I have the freedom for long drives without feeling a big pinch in my pocket and the average usage has jumped to 2000+Kms/month. In the end, MY monthly fuel expense remains the same as the car usage has increased but I enjoy my long drives.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars. vikrantj The Indian Car Scene 236 18th July 2012 21:43
Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 29 9th August 2011 16:15
Another Checkmate ! MSIL Opens Highest Workshop CRtorquefan The Indian Car Scene 14 19th July 2011 14:48
new body kits introduced for estilo and sx4 from msil-damn cheap ram_hyundai Modifications & Accessories 36 5th March 2008 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks