Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th July 2011, 11:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 5 New Cars from Skoda in next 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
What is the next-gen Octavia? Is that a new model for India or just an upgraded version of the Laura?
Next gen Octavia should be the new Laura (probably they'll bring the Octavia name back).
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:17   #17
BHPian

They should seriously consider bringing the Laura vRS. We need a car like that in India.

@vb-san, they may not bring the Octavia name back in my opinion for the simple reason that when they launched the Laura originally, it was the new Octavia. They launched it alongside the old Octavia and therefore, the Indian market perceived the Laura as a higher car than the Octavia when essentially, it was the newer version of the same car. If they bring the Octavia name back with the subsequent price hike which cannot be avoided, people will think they are being ripped off by being a sold a "lower" car than the current Laura at a "higher" price. It will be a sales disaster, IMHO.
Aditya666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 16:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya666 View Post
They should seriously consider bringing the Laura vRS. We need a car like that in India.

@vb-san, they may not bring the Octavia name back in my opinion for the simple reason that when they launched the Laura originally, it was the new Octavia. They launched it alongside the old Octavia and therefore, the Indian market perceived the Laura as a higher car than the Octavia when essentially, it was the newer version of the same car. If they bring the Octavia name back with the subsequent price hike which cannot be avoided, people will think they are being ripped off by being a sold a "lower" car than the current Laura at a "higher" price. It will be a sales disaster, IMHO.
THe Laura VRS is coming in August. But with the same 1.8 TSI as the stock Laura. It will come with the VRS body kit, stiffer suspension, bigger tyres, spl colours etc...

ACI has reported that Skoda plans to bring back the 'Octavia' name for the Laura. I do agree that this could be a disaster from marketing point of view since SKoda earlier intended to differentiate the Laura as a higher model. It is like Hyundai renaming 'Verna' as 'Accent'. But for Skoda , Octavia was a very strong brand on whose success the company has built its foundation in our country. Probably they want to have a common name for the model worldwide since, after all, it is the next get Octavia.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th July 2011 at 16:23.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 16:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THe Laura VRS is coming in August. But with the same 1.8 TSI as the stock Laura. It will come with the VRS body kit, stiffer suspension, bigger tyres, spl colours etc...

ACI has reported that Skoda plans to bring back the 'Octavia' name for the Laura. I do agree that this could be a disaster from marketing point of view since SKoda earlier intended to differentiate the Laura as a higher model. It is like Hyundai renaming 'Verna' as 'Accent'. But for Skoda , Octavia was a very strong brand on whose success the company has built its foundation in our country. Probably they want to have a common name for the model worldwide since, after all, it is the next get Octavia.
Aah yes, the vRS add-ons. I'm sure there would be an increase in power. Not saying that the current 1.8 TSi is down on power but a gain would be welcome.
Coming back to the naming, yes, the Laura is sold in Dubai as the Octavia. The Laura was launched alongside the Octy in India whereas, internationally, the Octavia as we know it was phased out and replaced by the new Octy, read Laura. If Skoda can pull of the naming correctly, they shouldn't have much problems selling the car as it does have a following of its own.
Aditya666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do we have any additional details around the 110 hp Yeti? I beleive this will be a 4X2 version and hence will be priced lower too. Do we have this engine option for Yeti in other markets?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:19   #21
BHPian

My Skoda dealer just gave me an update about upcoming cars this year:
1) Skoda Roomster (two front doors, sliding rear doors), to be priced lower than the Fabia.
2) Skoda Octavia Rider. Octavia is coming back with a revamped version called the Rider which is currently selling internationally.
3) No upgrades to the Laura, Fabia.
4) Yeti continues with the same engine (which is the most powerful version of all its engine variants internationally). Absence of Bluetooth/Phone features is a cost-cutting method. Skoda India maintains its SUV shall be driven manually (transmission). "What's in a Sports Vehicle that requires no labour from the driver?".
5) The Superb 3.6 petrol with 4x4 may get a price review.
AbiDas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Default My comments on Yeti 110hp 4X2 and choice of gearing

The Go Anywhere ability of the Yeti is it's USP, Laura with better Performance, bigger boot, better Ride and Handling does everything better. Without the AWD system the Yeti looks like a pointless vehicle to me(though it surely will pull more buyers).

The Yeti with the 140hp engine offers performance similar to 110hp Laura MT, expect the 110hp Yeti to be even slower.

Also, i am not a fan of more than 5 gears in a Manual transmission, more gears mean frequent shifting. The Yeti in comparison to Laura MT comes with one more gear but with much shorter gearing with closely stacked ratios, the widely spaced taller gearing(Laura MT) matches these broad powerband engines better.

The DSG 'box which is rumoured to be coming next year will be very good addition to the Yeti but they need to price is more sensibly, i feel even the current MT variants are overpriced.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 22:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

I am sorry to say this but most of the information the dealer passed on to you is incorrect, see my comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiDas View Post

1) Skoda Roomster (two front doors, sliding rear doors), to be priced lower than the Fabia.
The Roomster is unlikely to be positioned lower than Fabia here. Let's wait for more information on this. Roomster: Look

Quote:
2) Skoda Octavia Rider. Octavia is coming back with a revamped version called the Rider which is currently selling internationally.
International Octavia(Octavia II) is called Laura in India. The upcoming car which will compete with Verna, Vento and Linea is Skoda Rapid. See more details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...oda-rapid.html

Quote:
Fabia was recently facelifted recently. Laura will soon get a RS variant.

Quote:
4) Yeti continues with the same engine (which is the most powerful version of all its engine variants internationally). Absence of Bluetooth/Phone features is a cost-cutting method. Skoda India maintains its SUV shall be driven manually (transmission). "What's in a Sports Vehicle that requires no labour from the driver?".
Yeti also comes with the 170hp version of the same 2.0 engine, see here: Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 170hp 4x4 Elegance 170 hp - Car Specs - Performance, Engine, Comfort, Weights, Security, Photo Gallery , though it is unlikely to come here. A cheaper variant with 110hp version is expected.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 00:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
I am sorry to say this but most of the information the dealer passed on to you is incorrect, see my comments below.

The Roomster is unlikely to be positioned lower than Fabia here. Let's wait for more information on this.
I pretty much consider a dealer to be a credible source of information on upcoming launches of new cars. Most of the stories online are based on rumors, speculation and rarely on official statements by car manufacturers.

The Roomster is a virtual 2-door car. It is imperative for Skoda to price it below the Fabia, else it will fail to attract buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
International Octavia(Octavia II) is called Laura in India. The upcoming car which will compete with Verna, Vento and Linea is Skoda Rapid.
Actually, the Octavia Family sells as the Laura. The Octavia Rider is reportedly being introduced in August. Whether it will be called the Rapid is something I cannot ascertain.
AbiDas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 00:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I pretty much consider a dealer to be a credible source of information on upcoming launches of new cars.
My thinking is just opposite yours, car dealership staff are the people i least trust. Reasons-
  • They have commercial interests to take care of(for example-if they tell you a 170hp Yeti DSG is coming for the same price next month, would it be feasible for them to clear current stocks and their recent sale) Classic example of Ghoda & Ghaas ki yaari.
  • They are not really as well informed as they pretend to be, as dealerships are never passed on information in advance and sales executives have no interest in what they are doing(compared to online bloggers).

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th July 2011 at 00:16.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:22   #26
BHPian

Roomster is bigger than Fabia and won't fit in our small car category. I doubt they can price it lower than Fabia without the excise sop.

I have a strong feeling that current 1.8 Tsi laura will be stopped. They will launch a RS with the same engine at a higher price point. Skoda anyway seems confused with the petrol laura. If VW is planning to bring the 1.4 Tsi then we may see a 1.4 Tsi laura too, priced lower then the current petrol model and closer to the Civic/Altis.

Last edited by fi.robin : 12th July 2011 at 07:24.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My comments on Yeti 110hp 4X2 and choice of gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Also, i am not a fan of more than 5 gears in a Manual transmission, more gears mean frequent shifting.
The additional 6th gear in an MT is quite useful during long runs on the highway. The sixth gear is geared quite tall and allows the engine to run at a lower RPM while cruising at higher speeds. As a result there is lower NVH at these speeds as the car feels much more relaxed. Also it helps achieve better FE. In the city I doubt its utility, but out on the highway it helps. I find the 6th gear on my Laura TSI quite useful. Even at speeds in excess of 160 kph, the engine feels very relaxed. Of course it goes without saying that the gear throw has to be slick and accurate, otherwise it can be a burden on the driver.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Does a cheaper Yeti mean the 1.2 TSI versions are being planned?
Does that mean we are starring at a barrage of TSI brigade from VW also?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 07:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I heard that a sedan version of Fabia would be released to compete with Dzire, Manza and Etios.... Is this true ???
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 08:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
5) The Superb 3.6 petrol with 4x4 may get a price review.
Quote:
Completely agree with Anshuman. Dealers normally are the least informed of upcoming products.

For e.g.; last year when I was at the Ford dealership in my city, they were 110% sure that the next car from Ford is the Focus, and they had no idea of the existence of new fiesta

Quote:
The Go Anywhere ability of the Yeti is it's USP, Laura with better Performance, bigger boot, better Ride and Handling does everything better. Without the AWD system the Yeti looks like a pointless vehicle to me(though it surely will pull more buyers).

The Yeti with the 140hp engine offers performance similar to 110hp Laura MT, expect the 110hp Yeti to be even slower.
The DSG 'box which is rumoured to be coming next year will be very good addition to the Yeti but they need to price is more sensibly, i feel even the current MT variants are overpriced.
It will be great if Skoda align Yeti portfolio similar to the Laura. A 140hp DSG with the current elegance price range, and an 110hp manual at a lower price will be ideal.

Quote:
The Roomster is a virtual 2-door car. It is imperative for Skoda to price it below the Fabia, else it will fail to attract buyers.
Not true. It is a 4 door vehicle with a utility van kind of styling. The Yeti styling infact is a derivate of Roomster. I doubt if it will make any business sense in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Does a cheaper Yeti mean the 1.2 TSI versions are being planned?
Does that mean we are starring at a barrage of TSI brigade from VW also?
Hope that is the case. The small TSi engines can help in reviving the sales of petrol variants. And customer benefits from the high FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
I heard that a sedan version of Fabia would be released to compete with Dzire, Manza and Etios.... Is this true ???
The said car should be competing with the likes of Vento, City, New Fiesta etc.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote