Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 19:02   #1336
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Auckland/Pune
Posts: 8,835
Thanked: 9,509 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

I truly sympathise with those Jazz owners who bought the car perhaps just before the price cut was announced, like the OP. At least those who'd bought it a while back had enough time to get used to the idea that they'd overpaid in the first place.

But Honda and its dealers are not really obligated to compensate these owners in any way. So this thread is a little odd- expecting them to is not really reasonable.

Price discrimination- selling the same product at different price points depending upon the capacity/willingness to pay- is practiced in every industry. Especially so in the services industry- check out last-minute airline and hotel fares and you will get an idea!

I once successfully got my family's tickets reissued at a lower price because the "early bird" online rate offered by the airline was undercut by a later offer. I walked up to their city office (in Singapore), created a big ruckus, found one sympathetic employee and it was done the same day. In that case, however, the flight was in the FUTURE so I had that much bargaining power.

In this case, you rationalised that the price was suitable at the time (most people, self included did not- we thought it was WAY overpriced). Presumably you arranged for it so that you were financially not too put off. So all that remains is to enjoy the car to its fullest and act like the price cut never happened.

OR, buy another now and reduce your average purchase price
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 20:21   #1337
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 1,026 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

So....... was Honda making a profit of INR 1.75 Lacs on every Jazz sold thus far? Too hard to believe. Or am i missing something?

Am sure HONDA is not selling the latest ones at a loss either.

Or has Honda managed a technological breakthrough overnight to offer the same technology, same quality at a MUCH lower price?

Ruling out the above possibilities, there is just one thing quite obvious. The guess is yours!
Warwithwheels is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:02   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On the X-Lanes
Posts: 5,801
Thanked: 32,235 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlibuyer View Post
I generally agree with your logic; I would have agreed more if:

1. it was a meager discount running in few thousands,
2. if the price cut wasn't declared only days after I about the high priced version of Jazz,
3. we were indeed taking about electronics like mobile phones, cameras, laptops, or Levis jeans. (would really have preferred to be unlucky with jeans or a mobile than a car!)

However, in my situation, the discount is massive amount of 1.75 lacs! Although I'm aware that car discounts keep on coming and going and it is a very common thing, I do not recall in the remote past any car discount which is around 25% of the car price!

Also I wouldn't have minded the discount had I bought my Jazz an year or six months ago. I really wish there was responsible communication from the company/dealer advising the new customers to wait for a month or two to buy the new/discounted Jazz.

Finally, I feel before I take the philosophical position of letting it go and feel good about the car I have and enjoy it without concerning myself about the discount, I should at least try to know what Honda feels about it. I'm trying to reach them only because I believe they care, and as an existing customer I deserve to know if they do.
I see where you are coming from, and I completely sympathise with you.

However, do take the other scenarios into consideration as well -

1) Jazz was never a volume seller from the day of it's launch. Even when the markets favored petrol cars, Jazz was considered VERY premium and too steep for the average hatchback buyer. Those who bought it, bought it because of the Honda badge, flaunt value and exclusivity associated with the Jazz brand. A Jazz buyer today is also exclusive - more so because he has just got a petrol hatch upwards of 6.5L OTR, when there are diesel options available for far less (Figo, Liva, Beat, etc.). More so because it is STILL a Honda.

2) What if Honda decided to pull the plug on the Jazz? They already had the Brio all ready to storm the volume market, and it's pretty safe to assume that it will outsell the Jazz at, at least 2:1 ratio, if not more, when launched later this month. "Oh, we have a wonderful alternative in the Brio. How long can we sustain the Jazz at these pricings? Let's pull Jazz out, and bring the Brio in!" What would you have done then, my dear friend? Granted, they might not have done so, but it's showings in monthly sales, specially in 2011, had put a big question mark on it's future in India.

3) Do you want the Jazz to pull out of Indian markets? Ask any Jazz owner (our own Jazzman bought the Jazz X at nearly 9.0L OTR!) and he will reply vehemently in the negative. Costly or cheap, you WILL want the car to stay in the market. Just ask the people who are stuck with cars which have been pulled out of the markets and you will realise how difficult it gets to maintain such cars - Mitsubishi owners, Matiz owners, heck even Esteem owners!

We own a 13-year old Esteem which Dad wanted to sell off back in 2009, but we didn't get even a half-decent offer to sell it off! A car which we had bought at nearly 5L OTR was offered prices of 70K-80K max! Dad finally decided that we will stick with our faithful Esteem till it went bust.

4) As for your argument of 25% being struck off the pricing, I will present a more premium example - the Volkswagen Phaeton. At 95L OTR (Mumbai), it had scant buyers BUT some people bought it even at that price. VW decided to give 37L Cash Discount back in July to clear Phaeton stocks, which brought the prices crashing to around 58L OTR (Mumbai)!!! How would an existing Phaeton owner have felt then? Today the Phaeton retails for around 77L ex-showroom, still around 18L below it's original price.

5) I will also echo another point raised in this thread - suppose Honda had HIKED the rates of the Jazz by, let's say, 50K. And they started sending letters to all Jazz owners who bought one since January 2011 to pay 50K extra at their respective dealerships because of this reason. Would you have paid it? Didn't think so.

Our own beloved members, adimicra, selfdrive and many others, were gravely disappointed with this revised pricing as well. But they took it in their stride and today they are over it and are enjoying their cars. It's understandable, but it's a fact and it has to be accepted. If you are a true Honda lover and you really love your Jazz (I assume you do because you bought it despite it's premium pricing in the first place), you will forget everything else and just enjoy the car.

One life, one decision. Why the regrets? Like the Jazz says, "Why so serious?"

Enjoy the Jazz.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th September 2011 at 21:20.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 21:08   #1339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Bingo. +1.

Initially, I was also equally disappointed.

But, not any more. Get over it. We all love our Jazz'es and the car is really wonderful to own and drive.

One life, why so serious?
Cheer up, buddy.
Agree with you Adi.

get your ownership review going again. As yours was the one that was getting updated on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
Okay, they cut the price by 1.75lac but I don't think you or any Jazz customers who purchased it in last couple of months suffered the same amount of loss. I did check Jazz back in May/June but was out of my budget. At that time also they were offering a straight 55K cash discount, +10K corporate discount and on second visit he offered other 5K cash discount (=70K total) without much negotiation. So I think effective discount would be near-about 1lac and not 1.75lac.
Anyways, just think about the time you enjoyed the car before the price cut, its the same Car!
Agree with the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well to be honest, I was disappointed too with the price cut.
At the same time, I still love my Jazz and will keep it till I intended earlier. It is a fine car and IMHO the facelifted version offers nothing better that I want.
Get your Ownership thread also live and kicking again. Missing that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post
Just think that you paid more to achieve and enjoy your dream earlier.
Obviously the resale value is down that many points, but you did not buy the car thinking of how much you going to sell it for.
Yup it is more important how early can you achive your dreams, it hold true for all the events in life.

Well another school of thought about the resale value:

Jazz is a hit in the market with new price --> Honda increases the price marginally in few months (As done by Honda in past) --> Your in the market to sell after 5 years net impact is not more.

I know there will be lot of view which will not agree to the above school of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We value the car even more now. And especially since ours is the Deep-Sapphire-Blue Jazz. The colour isn't available on the new Jazz and we would have wanted it very very badly!
Mine is also Deep-Sapphire Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlibuyer View Post
However, in my situation, the discount is massive amount of 1.75 lacs! Although I'm aware that car discounts keep on coming and going and it is a very common thing, I do not recall in the remote past any car discount which is around 25% of the car price!
Finally, I feel before I take the philosophical position of letting it go and feel good about the car I have and enjoy it without concerning myself about the discount, I should at least try to know what Honda feels about it. I'm trying to reach them only because I believe they care, and as an existing customer I deserve to know if they do.
Not sure if you have lost 1.75L. Please check what is the price now and you must have paid not more then 60-70K more.

Last edited by scrooze : 9th September 2011 at 21:12.
scrooze is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:30   #1340
BHPian
 
uday.ere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 467
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Called up my dealer to know the new OTR post increase, but was told that there has been no increase in prices. Looks like it hasn't been communicated to the dealers.

But, if there is a hike, wouldn't the dealers have some info on it if not the exact amount ?

Would strongly suggest that you ask them for price protection if you have booked before the price hike (if any). Generally, they would say prices prevailing at the time of delivery would be charged to you, but I would recommend telling them firmly that you are going in for the price at the time of booking (if it works to your advantage that is)
uday.ere is online now  
Old 9th September 2011, 21:47   #1341
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune / Mumbai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Would strongly suggest that you ask them for price protection if you have booked before the price hike (if any). Generally, they would say prices prevailing at the time of delivery would be charged to you, but I would recommend telling them firmly that you are going in for the price at the time of booking (if it works to your advantage that is)

My dealer while paying the booking amount clarified saying the price at booking will remain. But incase of discounts / freebies / offers at the time of delivery, they will be passed on!
freak1201 is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 22:16   #1342
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,902
Thanked: 4,576 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
And as wise men have said, no point in thinking about stufff which is outside your 'Circle of Influence'...we need to reduce our 'Circle of concern'. There are already so many things in life to be concerned about..why add another one?

One life, why so serious?
Cheer up, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
At the same time, I still love my Jazz and will keep it till I intended earlier. It is a fine car and IMHO the facelifted version offers nothing better that I want.
Completely aligned with your thoughts. Get your ownership threads re-opened, and keep updating on your Jazz experience
vb-san is offline  
Old 9th September 2011, 22:57   #1343
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,581
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely aligned with your thoughts. Get your ownership threads re-opened, and keep updating on your Jazz experience
vb-san: thanks man.

The thread will be reopened shortly and guess what...I am really enjoying the car as usual. I even got the Bluetooth adapter installed and working on my Jazz.

And now, I have been bitten by the car detailing bug..so got a host of products. will do my first detailing session this weekend or the next.

I can't be angry on Jazz...it brings a smile on my face every time I drive it..I just love it

Last edited by adimicra : 9th September 2011 at 22:58.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 23:01   #1344
BHPian
 
Hayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 746
Thanked: 1,828 Times
Default

As a number of people have said, this happens all the time. In 1998, the Zen was available for ~ 4 Lakhs, without power windows, power steering, adjustable ORVMs, body coloured bumpers, stereo et al. Once the Santro was launched, Maruti swiftly followed with an upgraded Zen VXi, at the same price which had most of these features. A few months later, the old Zen was back as the LXi for 3.2 l - viz about 20% down.This was at a time when the price reduction was a decent annual salary for engineers.

That's life - we take calls, some pay off, others don't. Cheer up, buddy.
Hayek is online now  
Old 9th September 2011, 23:16   #1345
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,322
Thanked: 728 Times
Default Re: Unlucky (but hopeful) existing Honda Jazz owners

When I bought my Spark, I didn't get any offers. Shortly after, the 3-year maintenance plan became free, and they knocked the price down so that I could have purchased the LT-O in the price I paid for the LT.

Too bad. I like my car, and I bought it because it suited my wants and requirements at the time. I continue to recommend the Spark to others and would have loved to buy an Aveo LT-O 1.6 (still looking for one second hand, but it is a rare beast apparently).

IMHO, companies will find different ways of making money. Keeping consumers happy is one way, but not to the extent of charity. Accept it and move on.

Enjoy the Jazz - It was and still is a wonderful hatch, and one I would buy if still available when I "upgrade" from my Spark
VeluM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 23:54   #1346
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,525
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Would strongly suggest that you ask them for price protection if you have booked before the price hike (if any). Generally, they would say prices prevailing at the time of delivery would be charged to you, but I would recommend telling them firmly that you are going in for the price at the time of booking (if it works to your advantage that is)
How do i get my dealer to agree to this ? The booking form clearly says prices at the time of delivery prevail. If i do manage to convince them i will stand to benefit as there is a strong reason to believe that there will be a price hike. I have booked on 21 Aug, just 3 days after the launch.
shashank.nk is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 00:07   #1347
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,180
Thanked: 13,591 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Has anybody checked out the latest issue of Autocar India and Overdive magazine? Both the magazines have suspiciously left out Honda Jazz from their 10 car & 6 car 1.2 litre shootouts (respectively), and have predictably declared the new Swift as the winner.

I smell a rat. Perhaps Maruti has offered a large advertising contract to the magazines for doing this? I wonder if things like this happen in the industry.

Last edited by smartcat : 10th September 2011 at 00:09.
smartcat is offline  
Old 10th September 2011, 07:15   #1348
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,774
Thanked: 2,260 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Our own beloved members, adimicra, selfdrive and many others, were gravely disappointed with this revised pricing as well. But they took it in their stride and today they are over it and are enjoying their cars. It's understandable, but it's a fact and it has to be accepted. If you are a true Honda lover and you really love your Jazz (I assume you do because you bought it despite it's premium pricing in the first place), you will forget everything else and just enjoy the car.
To be honest, I felt like a protest was in order and it may not have been the fasting type! I think I was more cheesed off by the reaction at the dealers where the SAs laughed off the matter.
Nevertheless, guess who had the last laugh? I had a pending enquiry for the Civic AT, which I thought would be the logical upgrade. I hunted down the same SA who had grinned at my concern over the price cut. I wiped it off his face (and a couple of his colleagues) by waving a chequebook and asking him to convince me to book the Civic. I told him I didnt want to see him laughing again after a Civic price reduction when petrol prices touch 100. He scurried away to get the manager who tried to tell me a few lines, but I already had the email from honda so I repeated the rest of the template to him. I also told him I had nothing against him/ his team or the dealership. Just that they did not handle it well. Cheap thrills - yes. Do I care - No way.

I think I reached closure with this when I sat in the drivers seat of my Jazz. I could see the facelifted jazz in the showroom window with all that chrome. When I sat there, I realised it does not matter what anyone thinks about my purchase. Because I know that I would not have bought that hideously chromed version. The only person who should take offence here is the guy who decided that the chrome looks good on the Jazz. And I would also like to tell him where he should go. All for the best I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Get your Ownership thread also live and kicking again. Missing that now.
Mine is also Deep-Sapphire Blue.
Also have a DSB, yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
My dealer while paying the booking amount clarified saying the price at booking will remain. But incase of discounts / freebies / offers at the time of delivery, they will be passed on!
Thats really kind of him. Has he insisted on any higher percentage of payment while booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely aligned with your thoughts. Get your ownership threads re-opened, and keep updating on your Jazz experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
vb-san: thanks man.
The thread will be reopened shortly and guess what...I am really enjoying the car as usual. I even got the Bluetooth adapter installed and working on my Jazz.
Well, thanks to those who saw/ contributed to my thread, I was considering opening a new long term ownership review. It has been delayed due to a few reasons, admittedly price cut disappointment being one of them though not the main one. There should either be a new one or a refurbished/ renamed version in some time, though I cannot say how soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Has anybody checked out the latest issue of Autocar India and Overdive magazine? Both the magazines have suspiciously left out Honda Jazz from their 10 car & 6 car 1.2 litre shootouts (respectively), and have predictably declared the new Swift as the winner.

I smell a rat. Perhaps Maruti has offered a large advertising contract to the magazines for doing this? I wonder if things like this happen in the industry.
yeah, isnt that convenient now? Honda still has a lot to learn on being 'practical' in India

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th September 2011 at 07:20.
selfdrive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 08:57   #1349
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune / Mumbai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I think I reached closure with this when I sat in the drivers seat of my Jazz. I could see the facelifted jazz in the showroom window with all that chrome. When I sat there, I realised it does not matter what anyone thinks about my purchase. Because I know that I would not have bought that hideously chromed version. The only person who should take offence here is the guy who decided that the chrome looks good on the Jazz. And I would also like to tell him where he should go. All for the best I guess.




Thats really kind of him. Has he insisted on any higher percentage of payment while booking?




Too much of chrome on the select makes it look kind of gawdy!
I guess i made a payment of standard booking amount - Rs. 50k
freak1201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 09:25   #1350
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat
Has anybody checked out the latest issue of Autocar India and Overdive magazine? Both the magazines have suspiciously left out Honda Jazz from their 10 car & 6 car 1.2 litre shootouts (respectively), and have predictably declared the new Swift as the winner.
Wasn't this always the case? Ever since 1994 (which was when I had enough disposable pocket money to spend on auto rags) I've observed that all rags - irrespective of team, style, beliefs, preferences etc. - would go ga-ga over the latest product launch and award it their highest accolades.

I kept living in denial for ~10 years, even when astute people otherwise not even remotely interested in cars and bikes kept pointing out the blindingly obvious truth.

After enriching 2-3 rags with enough of my money over the years I stopped sometime in 2005/6 or so.

I still pick one up at the airport book shop once in a blue moon, because I hope and would like to believe.

But they're all still the same, and frankly, no different than politicians (say different things and engage in mud-slinging, but when push comes to shove, end up doing the same nasty things).

Sorry for the off-topic rant but I sincerely believe TBHPians should stop endorsing auto rags of any colour.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well mints21 The International Automotive Scene 19 4th November 2015 18:34
Piaggio slashes Vespa price by Rs. 6.5 - 7k sam.666 Motorbikes 16 19th March 2013 14:00
Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000! GTO The Indian Car Scene 508 31st July 2011 12:04
Honda to raise car prices, and Jazz launch soon. EDIT : Jazz spotted testing on pg.14 GeekSrik The Indian Car Scene 463 9th March 2010 11:17
Well Well Well keralshobhit Introduce yourself 2 30th May 2009 15:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks