Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th May 2013, 14:20   #31
Default Re: Maintenance & Spare Parts of Discontinued Cars

How about premium cars? Are the spares availability in the same manner?
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 15:10   #32
Default Re: Spares availability for cars sold in India

Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think once a model has been discontinued, the manufacturers are supposed to provide spares for about 10 more years. I don't know if there's a rule on it or it's a self-imposed policy.

However you must also factor in things such as whether the car has been imported into India. For direct imports, or CBUs (Completely Built Units), the spares need to be imported too, since there's no local manufacturing.

Today with the common platform madness displayed by most car manufacturers, most of the running parts should be interchangeable across different models of the same platform. If you are really worried about a specific model, you can always check out the auto parts shops to gauge which models still have spares available.
The Rule is after discontinuing a model the parts should be available for atleast 7 years. Most of the successful models dont face any problems the problem lies with unsuccessful ones.
But i am pissed off with hyundai, the showroom dont give spares for my santro, so for once i procured them locally from OEM(original euipment manufacturer) but this time i wanted winshield wiper nozel they refused, i asked them to give it in writing as there shouls not be any problem in selling a spare part then they gave it to me. But i was even shocked to see the price it was Rs 150 for a parts which can be had for only Rs20-30 still i bought it. My friend had a similar case with his Palio S10 something with the AC went wrong but it took more than a year for the parts to arrive even though the showroom was owned by his uncle. Same fellow is the owner of Honda 2wheeler showroom where my CBR 250 spent more than hundred days before being repaired and delivered. Its very much reliant on the dealership too some owners dont even take a look at the dealership for years letalone the service.
jasmeetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 16:08   #33
Default Re: Maintenance & Spare Parts of Discontinued Cars

Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
How about premium cars? Are the spares availability in the same manner?
I think procuring spares for any successful global car - especially successful in the US, is easy.

The spares for my Accord are pretty cheap abroad. You have a range to pick from (OEM, 1st quality, 2nd quality) depending on your budget. You also have a wide range of accessories (HIDs, cruise control, bumper lips, eyelids etc)

'Premium' D Segment cars here are not premium in the US. Also, models like Camry/Accord/Corolla/Civic sell around 10K-30K a month. Combine that with a DIY culture and it's heaven for us.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote