Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th March 2006, 12:55   #121
BHPian

That might indeed be true, but there is no guarantee that GM's cars (aveo, optra, tavera) would continue to get serviced here. I would definitely not want to buy one of GM's cars in that case.

The thing is GM's problems are not very well known in India. The day the news appears in TOI or Dainik Jagaran, the company's sales are going to go into a downward spiral, just like Daewoo's.
vipul_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 13:38   #122
BHPian

but i doubt entire GM would collapse like daewoo.

daewoo collapsed mainly due to political reasons
xtr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 23:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr21
but i doubt entire GM would collapse like daewoo.
i agree ... the old opel days were different ... GMs shoddy image however might live on for a while ...just like alot of other rather unshakable myths ... but i personally wouldn't hesitate to buy GM cars here
Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 08:07   #124
BHPian

Thumbs up

HI Guys,
any idea on FE...
didnt hear anyting about it... he he he...
FE is what every one will look at...
well i would look at...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 11:39   #125
Max
BHPian

they should also offer optional pack with 1.4 varient.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 14:01   #126
BHPian

Visited the dealer on Saturday.

Asked him specifically about FE. He claimed an average of 14 in Delhi city conditions (1.4LS). He said FE is traditional weak point of GM cars which has been corrected in Aveo.

Not sure whether I can take him at his Face value.

We can assume safely a mileage of 10+ in city driving conditions I guess.

Lookswise, it is damn good looking much better than Fiesta and Honda City. Top end is priced on par with City. I would rather go with City than Aveo anyday.

They dont have leather seat option even in the top end!

Fog lamps do not have jewel effect. Looks outdated.

Space wise, it looked good. I also liked the rear seat. Very plush. Did not get a test drive. The sales guy has promised to call back on Tuesday. Let us see.

Dashboard on top end version looks neat.
shankaranand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 14:28   #127
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Not sure whether I can take him at his Face value.
The AVEO has been tuned for FE rather then performance.

Quote:
Top end is priced on par with City. I would rather go with City than Aveo anyday.
Why so? In the AVEO you get ABS, Dual SRS airbags, Spoiler, Fogs, Alloys, MP3, printed antenna, heated mirrors, chrome outside mirrors and door handles. You dont get any of the above in the City, and you get all this cheaper then a City GXi. Plus the Top model is way more powerful then City and almost as FE as the City if not more. Also City is not a safe contruction for the rear passengers simply check out the boot and that cross bar.

Quote:
They dont have leather seat option even in the top end
Which car in the segment has? They are giving Leather Steering and Gear knob in the top end version.

Quote:
Fog lamps do not have jewel effect. Looks outdated.
Thats a new effect they have given called black tint effect. Its gives better visibilty since fog lights are not meant to be like headlamps they are supposed to have different colour to increase visibility in fogs.

Quote:
Did not get a test drive.
Been ther done that. Check this thread for all round pics of the AVEO and test drive report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...tml#post194305

P.S Indians are addicted to Honda which is simply taking advantage of it
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 14:57   #128
BHPian

Test drove the 1.6L Top end version yesterday. The dealer was Sundaram Motors, Bangalore. Ride is excellent and the interiors are good. But, it looks like GM has forgotten to put in the RHD steering column mounted control stalks. It still holds the LHD version wiper and light control stalks. Dont know when GM learns these nitty gritty things. It has to just see Honda, Toyota and Hyundai. Their cars are made as per markets - RHD or LHD and I have never seen their cars with swapped control stalks. These might be small details, but still a critical one. The power windows were not at all working.

The sales guys are telling 13+ KMPL in city driving conditions, but they cannot be taken for granted. GM cars are not really known for FE. A long term report would answer this better.

Rear seat comfort is good, though not in the league of NHC.

And the car looks under tyred. The 185/65 R14 Tyres seemed puny when viewed in profile. Probably 205's with 15" Alloys - Atleast as an option would have been better.

-HARSHAVARDHAN
harshavardhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 15:45   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it looks like GM has forgotten to put in the RHD steering column mounted control stalks. It still holds the LHD version wiper and light control stalks
All Chevvy cars (Optra,etc), Octavia, Corsa and some more have this so thats not a problem.

Quote:
The power windows were not at all working
Test Cars are not fully functional cars. I have a test drive of a L n K without many important features working.

Quote:
The 185/65 R14 Tyres seemed puny when viewed in profile. Probably 205's with 15" Alloys - Atleast as an option would have been better.
185s are the widest in the segment, NHC and Fiesta both run on 175s. Also since Indian market is to hooked looking at FE, Chevvy is wise not to offer 205s on 15. Heck no lower D segmenter has 205s.

And as far as GM collapsing, dont worry about that, it surely wont happen. They have many many companys owned by them and have cut jobs. Also there are many other companies who will bail them out. Daewoo collapsed due to the owner suciding and blah blah. Even Hyundais owner sucided but then his wife took over the company after a batter with his uncle and won. Today Hyundai is one of the major threats in the world for top market position.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 16:36   #130
BHPian

Just a side thought, from a marketing mind

What a strange name is AVEO? It sounds rather toyish to me. No wonder even in this thread, very few people actually quoted this car by name.

Instead of saying "I own an aveo", I would rather say "I own an Esteem" (not a coincidence, though)

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 20th March 2006 at 16:39.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 18:04   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Just a side thought, from a marketing mind

What a strange name is AVEO? It sounds rather toyish to me. No wonder even in this thread, very few people actually quoted this car by name.

Instead of saying "I own an aveo", I would rather say "I own an Esteem" (not a coincidence, though)
its better than sayin 'i own LAURA'
xtr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 18:12   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr21
its better than sayin 'i own LAURA'
You really meant "Mera Laura" or "Tera Baap ka Laura", didnt you?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 19:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
You really meant "Mera Laura" or "Tera Baap ka Laura", didnt you?
What is someone's sister owns a Laura???
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 22:44   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan
Test drove the 1.6L Top end version yesterday. The dealer was Sundaram Motors, Bangalore. Ride is excellent and the interiors are good.
Hi Harsha
Good report. I think the Aveo front end looks really good, better than Oprta.

I can see a lot of Optra 1.6 buyers going for this car.
What did you think of the power and torque. Does it have the power to challenge the VTEC and the Baleno as the new "1.6 liter King"

Another thing I noticed is the the 1.4 is making good power too. Almost as much as Baleno (94bhp)and now you wonder if the bigger engine
is really worth the extra money. Interiors are really classy esp the top end.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 11:51   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan
it looks like GM has forgotten to put in the RHD steering column mounted control stalks. It still holds the LHD version wiper and light control stalks. Dont know when GM learns these nitty gritty things. It has to just see Honda, Toyota and Hyundai. Their cars are made as per markets - RHD or LHD and I have never seen their cars with swapped control stalks. These might be small details, but still a critical one.
You said it - another example of the Indian buyer being taken for granted. IMO, the indicator stalk on the left appeals to people who are very used to it having driven in LHD countries for a very long time. Maybe by not putting the stalks in the correct place, they are playing to this market or pretenders to this market.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote