Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd July 2011, 13:11   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Should GM contemplate the relaunch of the SRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think if they put in the Optra diesel quite spacious, and will have a stonker of an engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A big NO. Now its matter of image. Even the Optra Magnum is not finding new buyers that quickly. As Optra Magnum diesel, price it a bit lower and fight against Verna, Vento, Fiesta and SX4 diesel.
Optra has many positives like :

None of the above mentioned competitors have all these points to the best of my knowledge. Why not relaunch the Magnum ?
Actually what both you gentlemen are saying makes eminent sense if one really thinks this one out. At least to my superficial understanding of matters automotive - this has the making of somethings similar on the lines of the Etios/Liva siblings out of the Toyota stables. Or maybe I am wrong in my understanding?

Last edited by RS_DEL : 22nd July 2011 at 13:13.
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:41   #17
BHPian

If it is a matter of choosing where to put their efforts, the SRV should not really figure in. They ought to put that into revamping the Optra. Just an upgrade to the dash and some other minor bits to the exteriors would be the bare minimum. A total revamp would be even better, as long as they can still price it within about 30-50k of the current ex-showroom (of about 8.5L). That will also give the potential customers that the car is not going to be phased out soon.

However if they can spare the design and implementation capacity, an SRV with a 2L engine and things that would go with it (stiffened chassis, suspension mods, whatever else) could be an interesting proposition. Given the humungous power that engine has, it could also be tuned totally for FE and it still would have enough power and torque left. If it can be priced up to 7L ex-showroom, it should have a good market.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:00   #18
BANNED

Somebody needs to come up with an "Impreza WRX STI hatch" for India and the SRV comes closest to it. But GM will need some convincing as they are desperate for good numbers.

Yes they have the Spark and the Beat but the SRV is in a whole different segment!
adidac369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Woah guys, just the topic and the car that I wanted to read about!!

I love hatch-backs and as many would agree, Chevy would have had the premium hatch market all along only if they had given SRV, what it deserved. Man, that car, quite simply looked like a NFS hot ride next to the then Santros, Wagon Rs, etc.

I was quite dissappointed to read GTO's confirmation about SRV rebirth, but heck I still gape at every single one of these rare HB's when they pass by.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

I didn't know much about this car except that it was the closest thing to a hot hatch we ever had in India- thanks to GTO and others who posted on this thread, I am now better informed.Have to vote "NO"- maybe there is room for a hot hatch from teh likes of Maruti or Toyota but for GM to do it now (when they can't even do justice to a seemingly awesome car like the Optra Magnum) would be silly.

One of my neighbours had this car for a short while, in the same blue shade that's been displayed in post#2. And it was QUITE a looker.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:09   #21

The SRV was launched during the peak of my teenage years. And boy was it a drool-magnet! The blue color was ideally suited to the gorgeous looks (albeit a bit quirky) ...

In fact during my recent visit to the local GM dealership in Ahmedabad - was there to TD Optra Magnum - I saw a very well kept example in the same blue color, and my teenage fantasies came running back from the dark recesses of my memory!

On a side note, why doesn't GM provide the blue color on Magnums? That is currently the only thing holding me back from booking a Maggy! Me and my father both want a Blue car next...after a Grey Swift, and a Silver ANHC...

GM, you reading this?
sam.666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:20   #22
BANNED

This car was never a hot hatch. Never had the performance to match the looks. I don't think it should be re-launched.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.666 View Post
On a side note, why doesn't GM provide the blue color on Magnums? That is currently the only thing holding me back from booking a Maggy! Me and my father both want a Blue car next...after a Grey Swift, and a Silver ANHC...
Seems the interest in the SRV is still there. A joint "revamp" to both the Optra and SRV - What an idea Sirji!

They did have a lot of similarities in design, after all.

A bit OT: The Optra isn't available in Blue. Colours now available (not the company's names) are: Black, Maroonish Red, Off white, White, Metallic light Goldenish colour, Dark Grey. You can find a lot of discussion about the Optra Magnum here (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)
Do read page 15.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote