Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th July 2011, 21:13   #46
BHPian

Default Re: New Maruti 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
No, this is not resembling the scoop pic. The google image is of the Cervo. The Autocar August issue carries an Autocar picture and it looks good to be an 800 replacement.
is there another picture other than the one on the website of ACI, and what is posted on this thread?
Old 25th July 2011, 21:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
is there another picture other than the one on the website of ACI, and what is posted on this thread?
Yes, in the August issue of ACI which is already in the newsstands.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 21:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes, in the August issue of ACI which is already in the newsstands.
And any news as to when will it come?
Old 25th July 2011, 22:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
And any news as to when will it come?
ACI says it is a mid 2012 launch. Your grandpa has to wait a bit longer.
Old 27th July 2011, 22:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default New Maruti 800 getting ready

An all new Maruti 800 is in the pipeline. Maruti is working on the all new model which is expected to be slotted below the Alto with the same F8D motor powering the current BS IV Alto. The new 800 is expected to be more spacious than the existing one. The spy picture shows the car with dummy headlamps. Notice the tear drop shape for the actual headlamp.

Attaching herewith the linky with spy picture on the Autocar India website

SCOOP! New Maruti 800 | Autocar India

Last edited by longhorn : 27th July 2011 at 22:59.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Maruti 800 getting ready

Wow. Looks pretty neat for a Sub 2 lac car with more space than the older sibling. I'm sure it's going to eat up NANO sales ( whatever TATA has been selling )
Old 27th July 2011, 23:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Maruti 800 getting ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I'm sure it's going to eat up NANO sales
Further, this maruti, is going to tread into Hyundai 800 territory too with the tall boyish look. The fun begins.
Old 29th July 2011, 00:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

I had heard a news some times back (1 year?) that Maruti will develop a car fully by themselves in India. It could be this car - a car below below WR, above Alto, and having 796CC Alto engine (means almost no royalty to Suzuki)!
Old 29th July 2011, 11:51   #54
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please do NOT post scans of copyrighted material on this forum. Your account can attract severe Moderator action. First warning. The attachment has been deleted

Here are more pictures of the new maruti 800. And i am glad to see maruti bringing back this iconic name at a very mouth watering price point of below 2 lakhs. Therefore sitting below the Maruti Alto.

Looks like the Nano has a tough road ahead of it.

Though the car in the pictures look more up market than the current Alto, i guess the finished product wont exactly look like this given the price point of less than 2 lakhs. But We will all just have to wait till Auto Expo 2012 to get the true story behind this new offering from MS.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2011 at 12:51. Reason: Please do NOT post scans of copyrighted material on this forum
amrisharm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 12:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Here are more pictures of the new maruti 800. And i am glad to see maruti bringing back this iconic name at a very mouth watering price point of below 2 lakhs. Therefore sitting below the Maruti Alto.

(Picture source Autocar India. Pg. 18, Vol. 12, no. 12, August 2011)

Though the car in the pictures look more up market than the current Alto, i guess the finished product wont exactly look like this given the price point of less than 2 lakhs. But We will all just have to wait till Auto Expo 2012 to get the true story behind this new offering from MS.

Attachment 584828
This one looks better than the K10 Alto to me, but overall a poor copy of the Fluidic Designs of Hyundai. However, it appears taller & the BS-V compliant 800 CC engine means that there is another sales king in the making. This is called R&D & Hero Moto (a.k.a. erstwhile Hero Honda) should learn from Maruti Suzuki.

Further, I believe that it should replace the current gen Alto-800 instead of sitting lower to the same, though lower prices are always welcome.
Old 29th July 2011, 18:49   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 584828
That looks like a mish-mash of several Maruti-Suzuki products. Let's start with the emulation of the A-Star's headlights and the grille, the mouth of which has been closed, a bit, and accented with a mustache.

You see bits of Alto around it too, and then we've got the Swift's window-line and the C-Pillar, which also leans towards the Ritz's as well, somewhat. The Wagon-R's silhouette is obvious, too.

It's alright.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:28   #57
BHPian

With the resurgance of the 800 , is this the end of road for the 800 cc Alto ? I mean , there will be so less to distinguish between the two . Same platform , same mechanicals ! I wonder what MSIL will skimp to bring such difference in pricing.
On the other hand , in this upcoming battle between the two 800's , there's going to be one loser , and that is , the TATA NANO.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what Suzuki is trying to achieve with this car. The game would have been much simpler with the Alto coming down a notch, A-star being relaunched with new interior which reduces the height of dashboard sill level and priced at current level or very slightly above the current Alto. Then it would be so logical for everybody.

The new 800 means that :
1) Suzuki wants to utilize the brand value of M800 name.
2) Alto will remain where it is right now.
3) A-star will not come one or 1.5 notches down.

Where can it go wrong :
1) A-star will never be able to pick up and a wonderful car that has got taught handling and good ride will be laid waste. A-star has one of the best handling and stability when compared to Santro, i10, Wagon R, Alto, Spark, Beat, Indica, Indica Vista, Nano.
2) Alto can get massively dented in sales if new M800 becomes a hit.
3) If the new M800 fails, then the brand value of M800 will come down. I wonder whether Suzuki has learnt fron Zen Estilo disaster or not. The entire Zen name has been wasted. I hope similar thing does not happen with M800.

The strategy as far as my view goes must be :
1) Place the current Alto even lower to fight Nano.
2) Bring down the A-star down.
3) Let Alto K10 be available in much lower trims just above 800cc Alto ( which would be fighting Nano ).

In this manner, there wont be any space left out. Those on very tight budget can get Alto 800cc. Those having more budget than 800cc but not as much as A-star ( and prefer Alto because of lower running costs and maintenance, may be perceived thoughts ) can go for K10 Alto.

Those looking for a car with current Alto budget levels can go for A-star.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are more pictures of the new maruti 800.

Good drawing by the Autocar team. Looks very similar to the scoop image except the A-pillar design, IMO.
Attached Images

Old 30th July 2011, 19:07   #60
BHPian

Sub 3-lakh space isnt crowded enough, and if this is going to be pitched in that segment, then looks/performance dont matter but fuel efficiency with reasonable space is paramount.

I really doubt this will be sub-2 lakh.. Maruti is better off with not positioning this against the Nano - no buyers there as the bike-to-car never really took off. Offcourse diesel might change the game but Maruti wont have a diesel for that space.
Closed Thread