Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st October 2011, 03:33   #61
Default Re: What can we do to keep pollution in check?

Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Welcome Dr.
My part was very very limited here except a mail by post. The Secretary obliged and acted immediately. Now I have a made a practice of sending feedback and observations once in a while, but only about my regular travelling route (bit selfish here).
Rather than selfish - I would term it to be accurate & 1st hand report.
Its best that you write only about what YOU experience, rather than just be a guy who keeps commenting, grumbling and writing about every damn thing just because he can!

So I thoroughly respect your methods - since I too have regularly started writing to companies with both +ve & -ve feedback.

Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have just one thing to write back.

Deep down - its the wants, the ego and the status that drives capitalism and the "development".
If we were only concerned about our needs, then we would be just wandering like animals foraging fruits and nuts, and probably hunting once in a while.

Its the development (till now) that has lead to the degradation of our environment.

Besides, what one person judges as a need can be judged by other person as a want.

Unless the environmentally favorable technologies are "artificially" given an economic benefit, there is no incentive, in this world fueled by capitalism, to apply it.

Well said.
True - the 'greed' has driven us forward (pun intended).
Like they say - the most lazy person comes up with the best inventions.

But - its high time our instincts of self-preservation took over and dominated our desires fuelled by the decline & demise of our own civilization.

Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
I agree with Dr. Suraj's points and a lot of other valuable comments on this thread. I think the only way to get the message across to people to reduce pollution is to use the media. We have seen so many effective adverts on TV. I am sure a set of well made ads played during prime time would help.

The bicycle has lost its charm in India. It is not cool enough anymore. When was the last time you saw a BSA or Hercules type bicycle advert on TV?

Thank you !!!

I totally agree to your last point.

I have been keeping close track of all the bi-cycle related posts on this forum
all other bi-cycle related developments
E.g. : Electric Bicycles, Cyclothons etc.

Grace One City e-motorbike review -- Engadget

I do intend to adapt to it when it finally gets feasible.
(read traffic, sweat & safety)
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 10:14   #62

I'll keep this brief - if you want to drive a car, the greenest option is a factory fitted CNG vehicle. Nothing greener outside of a Reva, but whether that can be called a car is still debatable.

Whatever your means of transportation, know that mimizing pollutants will only ever go so far. If you really want to preserve air quality, you need to do more to:

1) Save existing trees
2) Plant new trees

While it may not always be easy, you can definately form a citizens watch for your neighborhood trees. And while you may not be allowed to plant trees on main streets/ lanes, you can definately plant them in your garden/ society compound. Writing letters to societies/ municipal bodies is time consuming, but will almost always get some kind of a reaction.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 07:18   #63
Senior - BHPian
Default Green court bans vehicles older than 15 years in Delhi

A step in the right direction? Possibly the way the court is thinking is to take those vehicles off the street that comply to lower emission control norms.
NEW DELHI: ... highlighted the worsening state of Delhi's air, the National Green Tribunal cited the report and issued a slew of directions to immediately address the problem.

Among the 14 measures ordered by the green court on Wednesday was a ban on petrol and diesel vehicles older than 15 years a move that's likely to take an estimated 10 lakh vehicles off the road. It also barred burning of waste in the open besides placing restrictions on parking and ordering stricter vigil on overloaded trucks entering the city.
NGT said petrol and diesel vehicles more than 15 years old shall not be permitted to on Delhi roads. These vehicles are to be seized by authorities as per the Motor Vehicle (MV) Act.

It also ordered that the RTO shall not renew or issue registration for such vehicles or provide fitness certificates. If any such old vehicle is parked in a public area, it would towed away and challaned, the tribunal said.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 09:08   #64

They should have worked on removing the polluting vehicles from the road, and not necessarily the older ones. There are plenty of commercial (and some private) vehicles plying which leave clouds of smoke wherever they pass through.
i10 is offline   Reply With Quote