Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th August 2011, 15:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Glad to know that passengers are safe.

Given what happened, I feel asking for 50L compensation is not justified. Had there been damage, it would have been a different story.

Since this is the first incident of its kind, its a one off.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Glad to know that passengers are safe.

Given what happened, I feel asking for 50L compensation is not justified. Had there been damage, it would have been a different story.

Since this is the first incident of its kind, its a one off.
Its the owner to decide what he wants .Had one of us been in the situation ,we would also be fuming with anger. . Even 2 crores is less . Its like actual murder or attempt to murder ,both are same .

Chalta hai attitude should go away and manufactures should be punished .
black12rr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr

Its the owner to decide what he wants .Had one of us been in the situation ,we would also be fuming with anger. . Even 2 crores is less . Its like actual murder or attempt to murder ,both are same .

Understand your point, but do you know the other side of story? What if the owner was driving the car in 4L at high speed?
My point is, Toyota us selling around 1000 units/ month of Fortuner in India and much more internationally, and no serious issues of such nature has come up. Let Toyota investigate and then come up to conclusion. Just don't start bashing company on a single incident.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post

There is a law in India that says innocent till proven guilty.
It is a shame when people adopt this mob culture for punishment and violence at the very outset.

Anyone would be fuming with anger no doubt, but what I am talking is grounds for compensation.

Couple of points :

A . Lets look at this objectively -

How would you justify 2 crores?
This is not a kid in class handing out candy that you can stick out your hand for

B. Attempted murder? You mean the 2nd largest manufacturer in the world WANTS to MURDER a family of four?
What are you accusing the executives at Toyota of?

Not denying that Toyota should accept responsibility and apologize to the customer and his family once all the facts come out.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
B. Attempted murder? You mean the 2nd largest manufacturer in the world WANTS to MURDER a family of four?
What are you accusing the executives at Toyota of?

Not denying that Toyota should accept responsibility and apologize to the customer and his family once all the facts come out.
Assuming that the family (if) was seriously injured and survived the accident , should be equated to if there was a accident and one or all of them did not make it. Both should cases should be treated equally . Since the family survived the weight-age of amount of punishment should not go down ,but increased , since the family has to go through mental trauma and aftershocks . If the car was found to be manufacturing defect .

Last edited by black12rr : 10th August 2011 at 13:00.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 13:36   #21
BHPian

Its not about 0.5 Cr ores or 2 C as compensation here . Its about knocking the doors of the Automotive vendor about the problem .

In US this is quite common and thats why more vehicles are officially recalled for any defects . We have not heard any major recalls in India . Most of them are done silently rather then accepting a problem .

If this is a company defect and if this could have caused life threat, then as consumers we should be compensated . 2C might also be less .. ( Disposable income in India is getting higher and we earn better these days )
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 14:25   #22
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Lets not blame Toyota before we know all the facts. There are approximately 15,000 Fortuners on Indian roads and this is the first incident of this kind that we have heard of. I doubt any similar incident would have gone unreported.

I own a Qualis and a Fortuner and have had ZERO breakdowns in them so far. The Qualis has done 1,85,000 kms and is a 2003 model and the Fortuner is a 2009 model with 36,000 kms on the clock.

The incident is a grave one and should not be taken lightly. The passengers were lucky to survive. If this had happened on a highway while overtaking or on a hill road the results could have been very different.

I suspect the diiferential/drive line jammed due to some reason. Could it be that 4HL was engaged by mistake and was driven by the owner on tarmac at high speeds. I doubt it. A yellow light comes on when 4HL is engaged and is hard to miss. Even if the passenger knocked it by mistake with their knees (which is again very unlikely) the driver would see the light and correct the situation easily by pulling it back in to 4H. Could the differential oil have leaked?...

Its not only WHAT went wrong but HOW & WHY that need to be answered as soon as possible. Also all other owners need to be made aware of the findings.

I shall reserve my judgement and refrain from blaming Toyota till everything is known. At the same time one can understand the reaction of the owner of the ill fated Fortuner for blaming Toyota for this serious failure.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Ive contacted the owner of the ill fated Fortuner and asked him to shed some light on the matter and also share with us what the findings are for the reason of this failure.
I hope he will share the findings with us as this information may save other Fortuner owners from a similar situation who may not be as lucky as him to face it on a deserted road.
Information sharing is what this forum is all about and though most times it is for fun, this time it may save lives
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 20:49   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Ive contacted the owner of the ill fated Fortuner and asked him to shed some light on the matter and also share with us what the findings are for the reason of this failure.

That's a very positive move. Hope to see an update soon.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 01:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
That's a very positive move. Hope to see an update soon.
I also contacted Toyota Fortuner on their Facebook Page and written on their wall Toyota Fortuner | Facebook

I request Toyota Fortuner to please shed some light on this matter. I as an owner of a 2009 Fortuner am very interested to know not only WHAT but also WHY AND HOW this happened. I am a loyal Toyota Owner and an ardent fan of this brand. All we really want to know is the truth.

The parts in bold are what ive written on their wall and also to their Customer Care in an email.

Sadly neither the Owner of the Fortuner or Toyota have responded yet.

If you are on Facebook do go to the Toyota Fortuner page and comment on my query to them. A little pressure isn't such a bad thing. Though somehow i still feel it may not be the fault of the vehicle in question.

Last edited by Manuuj : 11th August 2011 at 01:06.
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 01:07   #26
BHPian

^^
@manuuj : right said.
Let us wait for the analysis to come through and then get judgmental.

Who knows, how well maintained or badly driven that Fortuner was, during its last 20K kms.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 01:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
^^
@manuuj : right said.
Let us wait for the analysis to come through and then get judgmental.

Who knows, how well maintained or badly driven that Fortuner was, during its last 20K kms.
That is true Monaro. The person who owns the Fortuner is a Rally enthusiast and i doubt he would not know when not to engage 4HL or LL. It seems like a maintainence issue.

Maybe he took it for off road in slush and water a few times in the past and was unaware of the propeller shaft greasing regimen pointed out by Guderian on this very Forum. Though i wonder if that can cause such a massive failure?

This is of course all conjecture and theory. Only the two parties involved can shed light on the matter. I for one want to get to the bottom of this. I drive around in one all the time. More importantly my sister has one too and she is in it a lot with her kids. If this is a safety issue Toyota must address it.

If it turns out it was a owner caused failure then we must be made aware of that too so we may not repeat the same mistakes. One must remember not every Fortuner owner is on Team BHP and may be wholly unaware and unprepared.

Only Toyota can set the record straight and educate its customers.
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 01:40   #28
BHPian

Post Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
That is true Monaro. The person who owns the Fortuner is a Rally enthusiast and i doubt he would not know when not to engage 4HL or LL. It seems like a maintainence issue.

Maybe he took it for off road in slush and water a few times in the past and was unaware of the propeller shaft greasing regimen pointed out by Guderian on this very Forum. Though i wonder if that can cause such a massive failure?

This is of course all conjecture and theory. Only the two parties involved can shed light on the matter. I for one want to get to the bottom of this. I drive around in one all the time. More importantly my sister has one too and she is in it a lot with her kids. If this is a safety issue Toyota must address it.

If it turns out it was a owner caused failure then we must be made aware of that too so we may not repeat the same mistakes. One must remember not every Fortuner owner is on Team BHP and may be wholly unaware and unprepared.

Only Toyota can set the record straight and educate its customers.
Right said!
The prop shaft issue did race in my mind when I 1st read this thread.
As you mentioned, this can also be one of the factors for the diff locking up.
If Guderian came across the ignorance of the Toyota Mechanics over the knowledge of prop shaft greasing (and that too in a place like Mumbai/ Thane!), imagine the state of this gentleman's T-Fort (and also being a rally enthusiast) never receiving that kind of greasing at a Jaipur SC, during two consecutive 10K kms service intervals.

I'm not sure if the analysis of this particular incident would be brought forward by the media, but you sir, are indeed doing a good job by being in contact with the main protagonist. This will ensure that you will share the outcome with fellow T-Fort owners like us and make us wary of the situation at hand.

Thanks again!
cheers.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 06:59   #29
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please read the previous posts before making a comment that has no relevance to the discussion.

Last edited by n_aditya : 11th August 2011 at 14:26.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 12:55   #30
BHPian

Hi all,

Just an update on the story about someones Toyotas wheels getting jammed up. As u all know i had contacted both the owner of the Fortuner and Toyota on this issue as explained in my earlier posts.

Today i got a mail from the Owner Navanshu Saharan on my facebook account which i am Copy Pasting for you all:

Hi Manuj,

I have written n no. of mails to Toyota to find out why the wheels got jammed. They do not have a concrete answer. They say the front differential tube got jammed. Which everyone knows. But why ? Is what they are not able to explain yet. Will keep you posted, as soon as I hear anything from them

cheers

By the way can anyone explain to me what a front differential tube is?!
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote