Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd August 2011, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Default Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Today's Hindustan Times reported a freak mishap near Jaipur when all four wheels of a Fortuner got jammed on the highway. The SUV skidded some 30m before stopping. Fortunately no one was hurt as the traffic was sparse.

Link:Man takes firm to task over mishap - Hindustan Times

The Jaipur workshop where the SUV is being repaired indicated something about front differential being damaged causing the wheels to get jammed. I hope TKM takes the case seriously and does a full analysis to get to the bottom of the defect. The owner now wants compensation of 50 lakhs.

I suppose this is an one off incident. But considering the number of these SUVs on road and faith reposed on them by their drivers, it is scary to think of another incident on a busy highway.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Freak MIshap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

I am shocked to know this happening in a Toyota, of all brands! The customer's anger is fully justified considering what could have happened if any vehicles were in the vicinity of the Fortuner when its wheels locked up. I hope Toyota gets to the bottom of the issue and/or compensates the owner with a replacement vehicle, else they risk denting their reputation.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Ok, this is a new issue, but all the 4 wheels getting jammed could only be possible due to a critical brake issue or the transfer case being jammed due to a critical malfunction and both these components are extensively tested.

Though it is an extremely rare incident, it will lead to further defamation of the Toyota brand now.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:09   #4
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

Well freaky, can't imagine consequences of a similar event when driving down the hill full of Hairpin bends. With the TFort being a fullltime 4 wheel drive I cannot think of anything, ideas experts?

On a lighter note, me feels Toyota takes the Extremes I guess, they are either extremely reliable or they don't stop (read stuck Gas pedal) or they never move an inch...
Maverick_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Although the incident has highlighted that even the bullet proof Toyotas can go wrong sometimes (Although rare), we need to wait for the response from the Manufacturer, and that will determine how good/bad the brand service really is.

Things go wrong all the time including cars and sometimes some of the critical functions do go wrong (Although all would like that they shouldn't). Its important that such critical components rarely fail (This is just one incident since launch of the Fortuner). What is now more important is how the Toyota takes care of the customer and the learning from the incident.

Differential locking, Engine Seizing have been happening of various cars and models. I myself have seen some of those with Marutis and Mahindras and the sight of them happening in front of you does scare you and gets you worried, but i believe what happens after that is more important.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very True. Here I am cribbing about my injectors getting damaged prematurely due to shoddy service by TATA and then refusing to own up to the fault. If they manufacturers own up the responsibility of their own faults, the pain would be much less for us sufferers.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Stuff like this does not just happen. Must be something to do with the 4 wheel drive. Is it possibly if the person changed the 4 wheel drive mode, and drove on for a while this could have happened?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:50   #8
BHPian

Who says Toyota is reliable?

Look at the amount of recalls that have happened in the US the past one year.

How can we expect that they would be better here when they have so badly screwed up in their biggest market.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Who says Toyota is reliable?

Look at the amount of recalls that have happened in the US the past one year.

How can we expect that they would be better here when they have so badly screwed up in their biggest market.

Cheers
Toyota is facing a lot of heat in the US market. I stopped counting after 25 recalls (since 2009) on Toyota's recall information website.
BBR_SHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Today's Hindustan Times reported a freak mishap near Jaipur when all four wheels of a Fortuner got jammed on the highway. The SUV skidded some 30m before stopping. Fortunately no one was hurt as the traffic was sparse.
That's something new.. But lets not start bashing Toyota, Let wait and watch how Toyota react to this situation.

Lucky for the Owner keeping in mind this happened on the highways where normally people are doing good speeds to come out unscratched. and he is right in suing Toyota.

Its time Indian Consumer act is modified to ensure the customers are not taken for granted..
rajchetan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Recently my car (Figo TDCi) spin wheeled when the Engine stalled when I was trying to negotiate a curve. Though the issue is more grave here, it is interesting to see what turns up, because me and many other such Figo owners deal with the issue without much complaining.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2417993
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:25   #12
BHPian

Don't know why people start bashing the company on just one incident. Toyota has been selling approximately 1000 units of Fortuner a month in India and many more units in other part if world, and haven't heard this kind of incident.
Please wait until the company responds. May be owner drove the car in 4L for higher speeds.

I will wait for the other side of the story before bashing Toyota.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:44   #13
BHPian

Each serious incident/accident should be fully reported and properly investigated by people who know what they are doing. And the investigation itself, should be carried out with an intention of finding the real cause or causes in order to prevent future recurrence, and NOT with intent to blame or point fingers.

The tendency to judge quickly without thorough investigation only clouds the issues and scares people who might get adversely impacted from contributing to truth and safety. Manufacturers become defensive, drivers shy of admitting mistakes, and what not.

While I empathize with the owner and his/her annoyance/anger consequent to the incident, what is more important than the compensation is that manufacturer finds out quickly what went wrong.

Before that can happen the manufacturer needs to have access to the car they don't own. Toyota should request to buy back the car - in this case at three time the market price, (because it is car from which they can learn rare and important lessons) plus offer a brand new vehicle of the owner's choice from Toyota stable. We should not call it a compensation but a reward to contribute to safe driving.
SushilBajpai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 10:37   #14
BHPian

Good post there by Sushil. As an SUV owner albeit a part-time 4x4, I would certainly like to know the detailed analysis and findings by Toyota which I trust they will be doing, given they are (were?) front runners in quality control. Even otherwise as an auto-enthusiast we'll all be following this closely.

Interesting to note that the media article never focussed on the driver and the situations in which the mishap occured; things can never almost always be blamed on a vehicle.

I can only guess a transfer case jam which locked up all 4 wheels (breaking of even a small gear tooth is enough), and as some one pointed above, could be because of knowingly/unknowingly engaging 4x4 combined with high speeds (even 4h has a limit).

(last line in my post above) I meant locking the centre differential that is.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th August 2011 at 20:15. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 14:34   #15
Ice
BHPian

...the article says that "the differential tube locked". I wonder what they're trying to say. Looks to me like the 4L was activated at speed. And the man demanding 50L is of course the biggest news on the page, and will ensure that Toyota also publishes their side of the story.

@Sahakar:
1. Compare the number of Toyota recalls vs. other companies' in the US
2. Compare the reasons for recall. If I remember correctly, the Prius's gas pedal getting stuck was because the floor mat used to shift during driving and pin the pedal down.

No mass produced machinery can boast of 100% conformance. The fact that Toyota is recalling cars itself indicates that they're looking to rectify production/design errors and stop any future incidences.
Ice is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote