Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2011, 09:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

Looks like different groups designed the car without caring for each other and then assembling them together. So uneven with no continuity.
The Japs with their reliability should also think about giving something atleast decent looking (excepting Honda) to provide the much needed driving appliances that the market needs.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

The car looks definitely better than the ugly DZire though i can't be compared with a City or Verna.
If The plain jane Etios can do well, why can't this?
All it needs is a sensible pricing - closer to Etios and less than City/Verna and a good dealer network.
But looking at how Micra is priced, I doubt that it will be priced less. May be just a tad less than City but not in the Etios terriitory.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

This car is obviously pitted against the entry level sedans,Manza,Etios and Dzire,and from the looks of it,it has a fair chance of doing well,if it gets the basics right.
Consumers in this price point are usually ones who are graduating form a hatchback to a sedan or the 2nd car in the family.So you need to give them more space,good interiors and space utilization,a decent engine and a high FE.Features,design finesse shall never be the top most priority because people who would be buying entry level sedans would be ones who are used to entry level hatchbacks.Say someone who has used a santro,will aspire to buy a sunny,but rarely would person who used an i20 aspire to buy a sunny.

Looking at all those parameters,i think Sunny would do well,and an ever important diesel engine it has got the basics correct.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

The "chibba" (for lack of a better word) looks of the front bumper on the sides, flowing in from the fender look a bit odd to me.Its as if a giant cupped the car's front with both hands and went koochiee koochie koo on it. Same goes for the back as well.
But this looks like a design that can grow on you and stick.
I do like the front of the car though. Quietly menacing type of looks.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:23   #50
BHPian

The golden color looked fine but the red color brings out the butt ugly looks similar to (un)Dzire. The steering looks funny and the interiors looks visibly a hatch evolve which it is.

It looks better than Etios, Manza and Dzire. With the right pricing, it would definitely take a pie from the lower C sales.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:50   #51
BHPian

The front end looks a bit like the Teana. Rear looks wierd. Dzirish almost. Looks more like a competition to the Manza and the Dzire. But considering that the high end diesel Micra is closer to 7 lakhs, I think Nissan will price it closer to the Vento/Verna/New Fiesta gang. Engine options, IMO are going to be the same as those for the Micra. May be a little fine tuning for the added weight. If they can do a Fluence on the diesel engine, I think it might do well.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:01   #52
BHPian

Mid Size , Sheesh what were they thinking, looks Huge close to the Kizashi, And whats with the name , personally i would never a buy a car named Sunny

They should cal it NS 1.5 or something.

Thanks for Sharing Stratos

Cheers !

Last edited by ryan_wheelz : 4th August 2011 at 12:02.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:17   #53
BHPian

The car looks just about OK. Conservative in many ways, boring and dull in some ways. Would be good if detailed specs were available.

The way the roof line slopes towards the boot is atrocious. Head room would be at a premium for rear benchers.

Nissan should think of launching both petrol and diesel variants at the same time. I don't see the petrol attracting any buyers. If the diesel is to have the same DCi unit as the Micra, will it not be underpowered for a car of this size? Hopefully, a VGT would be in place to bump up the power/torque.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:55   #54
BHPian

The top end looks quite spartan, I wonder what treatment would the lower end models would get. I feel the steering would look better without those controls, will look more even & balanced than what it appears right now.
Nissan seems to be trying to follow in the footsteps of its bigger brother Honda when it comes to pricing it cars. The Micra also seems a tad over priced & I dont hope for any change with this car also. They seem to be playing the margins card right now with the limited no. of dealerships. Once the dealership no's swell they might change the game plan and become a volumes player.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:02   #55
BHPian

Geez! i never thought anyone would look to the Dzire as inspiration. Overall looks pretty inspid, but best to reserve judgement tell its tested here. Last time I judged a car by its looks, had to eat humble pie (Qualis).
Old 4th August 2011, 13:06   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Manza, Dzire, Logan {verito},Etios, and now Sunny. Somehow our car manufacturers are stating that they cannot make a decent looking sedan under 7-8 lakhs. If you need a good looking one, then you have to spend 9-10lakhs on the New Verna or the vento.
Werent Ikon and Accent decent looking sedans in their era at more or less the same cost as the above cars? I know the newer cars are actually better products, but the looks are very debatable.
But, if the product is good, then many people will not mind the looks so much.
Old 4th August 2011, 13:33   #57
BHPian

dimensions of the car look big, but the design looks aged, nonetheless better compared to etios or manza. The 3 quarter view of tail lamps resembles that of new swift, isnt it? The name of car could play a spoiler, seriously "sunny"??? they could have come up with some alternate name. There are cars in India which sell under different names than their international names. Sunny always reminds me of bajaj
Old 4th August 2011, 14:44   #58
BHPian

My feeling looking at the car.

a) It looks way better than Ugly Etios and Dzire and decent Manza

b) All Entry C Segment Cars have interiors similar to their Hatch Back Siblings except Manza. So if dziere and Etios are acceptable so should be this. No problems

c) Looking at the size and front exteriors changes, its evident it will have a different personality than Micra. In case of Etios and Dzire frome front to B-Pillar it is 100% common design with HB. Not in the Case of Sunny. I would say just to differentiate this point i would rather choose Sunny than Etios or Dzire. At par with Manza.

d) Engine option and price will decide the future. I won't mind a price above Manza/Dzire but below ANV, but i would definitely mind the price gap between Petrol and Diesel Versions. If it is La-Micra, I am willing to forget diesel version of sunny.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

I think it looks rather decent, and is the better looker in it's segment right now.
It looks good from the front 3 quarter pic.
The roofline looks a bit out of place. i think they have tried to maximize head room.
a more sleeker roofline would make the car look even better IMHO.
Had read somewhere that the interior space is expected to be good.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:23   #60
BHPian

It might beat Etios in its looks, and probably price, but it definitely falls short of Manza and Dzire. Not much to look at and with unknown long term ownership costs (even for Micra), I don't expect it to sell much. For the least expensive 3 box, Nissan does not have a strong contender. Nissan does not have either the Tata or the Maruti advantage. There is nothing in this car that will convert a Manza or a Dzire buyer.
Closed Thread