Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 14:29   #1
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Last few months have marked frantic activity at the TATA Stable. On the surface, it may be calm but, underneath there seems to be a lot of stirring right from product improvement to network changes and overhaul in all levels of management.

Has it been positive? Well, only time will tell. What has indeed changed is company's stance towards marketing. They are no more letting other take credit for what is their forte. The newly launched Indica eV2 is the best example in this respect. Launched just a few months ago, and it is visible to common consumer for all the right reasons. Yes, the sales have been slow but, customer is aware! that must be half the battle won.

To further strengthen eV2 tag of India's most fuel efficient car, TATA organised mileage marathon in 10 of country's biggest markets inviting hundreds of eV2 customers to test their own vehicles and verify TATA claims of 25 kmpl.

Results would please TATA no bound and here is a short report.

Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon-tata-indica-ev2-mileage-marathon.jpg

More than 66% of eV2 customers were able to achieve mileage in excess of 30km/l whereas Tata Indica eV2 ARAI mileage is 25km/l. So, Are ARAI figures actually that difficult to achieve ?

I know how Manufacturer published mileage figures must be taken with a 'pinch of salt', sometimes even 'bucket of salt' but here we are talking about an exercise where customer is involved and not just in small numbers but over 400 people have participated from all across the country.

Well done, TATA!

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 9th August 2011 at 14:31.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 14:58   #2
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

If you see closely, most of the runs are on Sunday, except 1 which is on a Friday. Guess the cars were run in a manner that would give them the max mileage. Also the highest fig. from Pune seems quite difficult. The guy seems to have got down & pushed the car for 1/2 he way. I am sure I can also achieve higher figures in that manner.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:17   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
More than 66% of eV2 customers were able to achieve mileage in excess of 30km/l whereas Tata Indica eV2 ARAI mileage is 25km/l. So, Are ARAI figures actually that difficult to achieve ?

I know how Manufacturer published mileage figures must be taken with a 'pinch of salt', sometimes even 'bucket of salt' but here we are talking about an exercise where customer is involved and not just in small numbers but over 400 people have participated from all across the country.

Well done, TATA!
  • Can these figures be achieved in the daily drive for these owners? NO
  • Will it help anyone (except Tata for publicity)? NO
  • Is it only this car which can do this? NO
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:28   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Well said Anshuman.. its just a marketing gimmick! The results doesn't show us what were the conditions, how the FE was measuerd etc. A proper case study is expected.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:28   #5
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
If you see closely, most of the runs are on Sunday, except 1 which is on a Friday. Guess the cars were run in a manner that would give them the max mileage.
Sunday has been used for most marathons because it is convenient day for organising any customer event. Would so many customers have attended the marathon had it been a weekday? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
  • Can these figures be achieved in the daily drive for these owners? NO
  • Will it help anyone (except Tata for publicity)? NO
  • Is it only this car which can do this? NO
These figures will CERTAINLY be not achieved on most daily runs for same customer but you have to take into account that 66% achieved figures higher than ARAI figure during marathon. In a daily run therefore, it is possible to achieve at least ARAI tested figures if not more.

It certainly does help people other than TATA. For starters, any person looking for a fuel efficient vehicle knows where to go. Maruti has been harping on 'Leaner, Meaner, Fitter' for some time now. Does it help Maruti ? You would argue in nay but it actually does. As far as publicity is concerned, isn't it the aim of marketing, anyways? Further, every print ad in newspaper talks about ARAI figures. Even BHPians have FE as deciding factor before purchasing vehicles so, obviously it does matter to people.

This is CERTAINLY not the first car, or only car, to achieve these figures but it is the car which achieves these figures consistently and better than most other vehicles as has also been verified by ARAI.
akhilesh51 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:38   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,622
Thanked: 6,144 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

I remember a similar exercise was done by Ford in association with Autocar India a couple of times. Autocar team members would drive Ford Fiestas from one end of the country to another and report how brilliant of a car that is with outstanding fuel economy. Autocar would then print a 10-20 page pull out with their next edition and sing praises of a killer product giving even killer fuel economy figures.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:54   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

These figures will CERTAINLY be not achieved on most daily runs for same customer but you have to take into account that 66% achieved figures higher than ARAI figure during marathon. In a daily run therefore, it is possible to achieve at least ARAI tested figures if not more.
I easily manage to get Figures as good as ARAI figures on open roads with normal driving with AC on. Punto 20kpl, Laura 20kpl. With careful driving each and every car can return better figures than ARAI figures.

Quote:
It certainly does help people other than TATA. For starters, any person looking for a fuel efficient vehicle knows where to go. Maruti has been harping on 'Leaner, Meaner, Fitter' for some time now. Does it help Maruti ? You would argue in nay but it actually does. As far as publicity is concerned, isn't it the aim of marketing, anyways? Further, every print ad in newspaper talks about ARAI figures. Even BHPians have FE as deciding factor before purchasing vehicles so, obviously it does matter to people.
All Diesel Hatchbacks including Swift, Figo, Ritz, Micra, Indica, Beat, Punto, Polo, Fabia, i20.... can easily return 20kpl+ on highways at 100kph, they can do the 33kpl type of FE too if the owner decides to drive it like a moped on open roads with AC off, concentrating on minimal use of Accelerator and Brakes.

Quote:
This is CERTAINLY not the first car, or only car, to achieve these figures but it is the car which achieves these figures consistently and better than most other vehicles as has also been verified by ARAI.
Replied above.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 16:03   #8
BHPian
 
akhilesh51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jaipur, RAJ
Posts: 628
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I easily manage to get Figures as good as ARAI figures on open roads with normal driving with AC on. Punto 20kpl, Laura 20kpl. With careful driving each and every car can return better figures than ARAI figures.
My best intentions for this thread have been well answered by you here. My intention too was the fact that ARAI figures are achievable in normal conditions.

Secondly, I gather that you do not support TATA claim of Indica eV2 being most fuel efficient car in India. I will not refute your thoughts here.

finally, Is it a marketing campaign ? Obviously, YES. My only deviation is that this marketing campaign involves customers as opposed to many othe FE champion figures based on only company's internal figures or in collaboration with some magazine.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:08   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Mysor
Posts: 155
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Looks like a marketing gimmick to me. It's easily possible to get absurd fuel economy if you put all your energies into it and if you drive on long straight empty highways (eg bangalore hyd highway).

And about being the most fuel efficient car in india. I'd say that it's very possible to tune your cars specifically to ace the ARAI. I don't know the exact testing procedure tho. Does someone have a link? And case in point - some petrol 1.2s are shown to give high FE but don't in real life. Diesels claiming similar FE are much better in real life..
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:12   #10
BHPian
 
Thilak29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL 14 / KA 05
Posts: 384
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Am curious to know the way these Marathons are conducted, also I heard ARAI testing does not involve any road driving or normal day affairs but just keep the car rolling on a roller with A/c off other conditions which does not simulate on road state at all.
Anyone has more idea ?
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 19:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
These figures will CERTAINLY be not achieved on most daily runs for same customer but you have to take into account that 66% achieved figures higher than ARAI figure during marathon. In a daily run therefore, it is possible to achieve at least ARAI tested figures if not more.
While I agree with the numbers above, its taken me by surprise that 34% even on a mileage marathon didn't achieve the very achievable ARAI FE !!! I myself get a 10% more mileage than ARAI FE on highways with A/C & driving anywhere between 100-120 kmph. If I reduce the speed to 80-90, I get 10 more percentage which now adds up to a total of 20% than the ARAI figures. Now if I switch off the A/C the mileage will go up by another 10% ! And if I bring down the speed to 60 kmph without A/C, I am sure it will add another 20-30% to my mileage claims.

This is a pointless marketing gimmick. I would have been extremely happy if 100% of the participants had achieved at-least the ARAI FE in a FE marathon ! And where is the data on average FE achieved and lowest FE achieved in the same marathon ?? Should not the company add these also in a report ?

Also are they using these events to improve their own cars? If they are using the data in a right way, its commendable. But I still don't think that's even an agenda for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
It certainly does help people other than TATA. For starters, any person looking for a fuel efficient vehicle knows where to go. Maruti has been harping on 'Leaner, Meaner, Fitter' for some time now. Does it help Maruti ?
As you said if FE was the only concern, in the segment where eV2 is present, that would have gathered the max sales. But unfortunately thats not the case. Some other cars with lower FE actually sells more than eV2 and people are willing to wait for it for ages. So Indian mindset is NOT only FE, but a decent complete package. Unless TATA doesn't achieve it, no marathons are going to help them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Further, every print ad in newspaper talks about ARAI figures. Even BHPians have FE as deciding factor before purchasing vehicles so, obviously it does matter to people.
Its a mandate that the brochures should carry the ARAI figures. Not because the companies want to boast about those. Even the car with lowest FE has to to display the figures and this was devised to give the customers a better hang of whats in store for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Am curious to know the way these Marathons are conducted, also I heard ARAI testing does not involve any road driving or normal day affairs but just keep the car rolling on a roller with A/c off other conditions which does not simulate on road state at all.
Anyone has more idea ?
Marathons are a pointless effort & I would say it can be frustrating for some one who always brags about these FE claims, but are not able to achieve it in real world.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th August 2011 at 19:43.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 20:29   #12
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 591
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Interesting!!

I guess we all agree that its not just Tata that can do it, but even the bigger Fiesta can achieve an average of 32kmpl!

However, i am really surprised at the figures, as these are probably within city figures - not highway, isnt it? I mean, even if you select the start and stop points such that there is very less number of turns/humps etc, it would still be very very tough to achive these figures within the city.

A parallel thought: Does it mean that improving roads in our country can actually halve our oil imports? Does it mean we can actually improve roads with the same money which we save from better roads~better mileage? .
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 21:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
However, i am really surprised at the figures, as these are probably within city figures - not highway, isnt it? I mean, even if you select the start and stop points such that there is very less number of turns/humps etc, it would still be very very tough to achive these figures within the city.

A parallel thought: Does it mean that improving roads in our country can actually halve our oil imports? Does it mean we can actually improve roads with the same money which we save from better roads~better mileage? .
Highly unlikely that this was done inside City. City traffic will definitely not allow anyone to drive at a constant speed of 60 kmph or so in top gear to ensure such a high mileage, even on a Sunday. So ideally this is taken at straight roads with very minimal traffic and as you said which enables smooth acceleration & deceleration which are must for attaining such heavy FE figures.

And what you said it right. Improving roads will definitely improve mileage for those who drive with in the right way & minimize the maintenance on a car. And reduce accidents too in my opinion.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 22:06   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
aniketi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Poor Tata. Whatever they do, people will get behind them. All knows that all companies do these type of marketing gimmicks, then why be so harsh on Tata only? Why always them? VW, Ford, Honda also claims lot in case of FE but in actual people get very less. But people keep mum about that as those are so called best brands. But if Tata do it, people will start making noise. I have personally seen Tata cars, also driven one for years. In normal driving conditions also they give one of the best averages in the market.

I remember Ford was doing similar FE ads long back when they launched Fiesta. They used to claim 31. If now Tata is claiming similar thing whats the problem? Also you need to understand that they are targeting low end customer, cab drivers mainly who want car for daily runs which is cheap, low on maintenance & decent A.S.S. I dont think Tata is doing anything wrong.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 23:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Tata Indica eV2 Mileage Marathon

Be it any company, not only TATA, the FE marathon stuff is CRAP ! Why would you "fool" customers showing unreal FE. On another note, its the obsession of the people to the FE that inspires these manufactures to go for these stupid gimmicks. It would be great if they do better things like Mahindra Great Escape / Fortuner 4WD Boot camps or something on those lines which will show the actual strengths of a car - may be intra city / state runs etc!
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Indica eV2- Technical Specifications & Feature List Stratos Technical Stuff 5 18th October 2015 20:44
Tata Indica eV2/Indigo eCS CR4 Reviews greenhorn Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 4th March 2015 10:59
Team-BHP scoops Tata Indica eV2 Facelift JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 21 20th June 2013 14:37
Mumbai Marathon Anyone?? V-16 Shifting gears 3 15th January 2013 09:44
Tata Indica eV2 cheaper by 23K safari_lover The Indian Car Scene 8 4th October 2012 19:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks