Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th August 2011, 12:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: New BMW X3 Officially out on Bmw.in. EDIT : Now launched @ Pg. 3

BMW X3 prices -X-Drive20d for Rs41.2L and X-Drive30d for Rs47.9 lakhs. Launch still to come - as tweeted by Hormazd.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Yeah same one with temporary red plates. I'm quite sure it's Monaco Blue.
Monaco Blue is not available on the X3. Nor is it there on the X1, X5, 7 Series or new 5 series. Deep Sea Blue & Imperial Blue are on the 5 & 7. The only blue on the X3 in India is Deep Sea Blue.

Edit: If that is the price range, BMW has broken its record of its value pricing strategy.

Last edited by Yeldo : 25th August 2011 at 12:59.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:15   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Launched!

High Points

- The new BMW X3 launched in two diesel variants: BMW X3 xDrive20d and xDrive30d.

- The X3 will be CKD produced (Completely Knocked Down) at the BMW Plant Chennai.

- Deliveries of the BMW X3 xDrive20d will start in September, and of the xDrive30d in October.

- The all India ex-showroom prices of the new BMW X3 are as follows

xDrive20d : INR 41,20,000

Four-cylinder diesel engine with 184 hp at 4,000 rpm & maximum torque of 380 Nm from 1,750 to 2,750 rpm.

xDrive30d : INR 47,90,000

Six-cylinder diesel engine with 258 hp at 4,000 rpm & maximum torque of 560 Nm from 2,000 to 2,750 rpm.

Specifications sheet: Specification Sheet The BMW X3.pdf

New BMW X3 Officially out on Bmw.in. EDIT : Now launched @ Pg. 3-bmw-x3.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 10:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New BMW X3 Officially out on Bmw.in. EDIT : Now launched @ Pg. 3

A short Test drive report.

Last evening me and fellow Bhpian H@r$h@l, were lucky to get a first hand feel of the car and below is a short impression of it.

Honestly, from the time the prices were announced I was a little disappointed, I guess a part of me still is esp. for the 3.0d which is as expensive as the 530d but is so short on equipment, I always assumed it will match the 530d in terms of features + 4WD, but well looks like BMW India is playing a whole new strategy this time will it work or fire back only time shall tell as the Q5 suddenly is available at a mouthwatering price of 35.15 Lac INR/-

From the time we entered the showroom, I could not get my eyes off the black X3 Xdrive20d standing, and was speaking to the manager who himself was honest at BMW's pricing but said do drive it? And it was a little late in the evening with light showers and heavy traffic, not exactly the best case scenario for a test drive, but still would a car buff pass it up? And Harshal's excitement only added to the desire to do so, and we set off in a white car, the ladies at the back loved it, and Harshal who is a tall guy too was quite comfortable at the back which is not really the case in my 530d, and even though it was a 2.0d engine it felt right and not one time did I feel the car was underpowered and this coming after my daily drive is a 530d, the car is well composed, takes roads easy, has a right set of ride quality, and with a GC of 212 mm there is little left to be desired to tackle the rough roads of our country.

Quality of Interior is nice, but it does not feel as plush as the 5, and the AC controls etc feel like they were taken from the lower BMW's rather than the black panel tech used in the 5/7/6 etc. BMW really should have kept the black panel tech for this also, adds a lot of aesthetic appeal including the instrument cluster.

The car also has the dynamic damper control even on the 2.0d which is missing on the 520/525d, so you are given 3 modes to choose from including Normal, Sport, Sport+ and on this test drive I only tried the Normal and Sport modes and all of it kept the car feeling better and by the end of the drive I felt this was perfect for Indian conditions.

The deliveries for 2.0d have started, but the 3.0d will take a few weeks due to the new engine, but the best bit I have been told is they MIGHT just add some equipment to the 3.0d but he was not able to confirm this, and if not now then perhaps the next lot of kits could get it?

Overall I am very impressed, and while I cannot justify if it's worth the extra 7 lac compared to the Q5, I personally loved the car to bits and with BMW India's brilliant warranty and after sales support it even makes for a stronger case. But then value is absolutely important which will vary from person to person, but to me this is the car I would buy if I was looking for a car in this segment, but of course in the 3.0d variant.

Regards,

P.S To end all confusions, the car comes with RFT's and no spare wheel / space saver, and it seems at the dealer meeting too all were told to ask any and every question besides anything related to RFT!
Old 1st January 2012, 10:46   #35
BHPian

@ S350L-E240
Have read several posts by you in the 530d discussions,which show you are very well informed on the BMW range.
If you could take the time to answer a few questions ,would highly appreciate it.
Currently running a 2007 320d,done a fair bit of long distance driving.Love the car,but four years down the line,hungry for more power from a standing start.The 530d seems to tick the box in that regard,but the compact dimensions and driving feel of my 3 are something I do not wish to sacrifice.
You seem to have access to info not available with several dealers I have spoken to,for example on the 530d power upgrade.
Read on another thread that BMW India agreed to undertake a conversion from auto to manual on an older M3.Do you think it would be possible for BMW to provide the 6-in-line 3lt. diesel engine in a new 3 chassis?(not interested in the hardtop convertible 330d already on offer).
Also you have mentioned the 535d could be in the pipeline,any updates on that front?
Was considering the X3 3lt.but apart from the high and unsupportive seat and the car's stance in general,am actually put off by the X drive where it seems like the car will actually drive itself,around corners at least,with reduced driver involvement.That apart,when I last checked a few days ago,no 3lt. demo car was available to try out in Mumbai,Bangalore or Pune.
Last of all,in spite of having filled up a couple of customer response sheets for BMW,where I mentioned my interest in a more powerful 3 series,got absolutely no response.If you know someone within the company whom I could contact to resolve my queries and could pm me details,would be really grateful.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the bother.
Regards.
(Had sent you a pm on the above but from past experience,realised it might have gone unread,hence this post)
Old 1st January 2012, 16:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

Absolutely sorry have been a little busy and believe me not ignoring your messages, will pm my replies to you.

Thanks for your trust but believe me there are people here who know a lot more and better than me.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987
@ S350L-E240
Have read several posts by you in the 530d discussions,which show you are very well informed on the BMW range.
If you could take the time to answer a few questions ,would highly appreciate it.
Currently running a 2007 320d,done a fair bit of long distance driving.Love the car,but four years down the line,hungry for more power from a standing start.The 530d seems to tick the box in that regard,but the compact dimensions and driving feel of my 3 are something I do not wish to sacrifice.
)
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 19:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
@ S350L-E240
You seem to have access to info not available with several dealers I have spoken to,for example on the 530d power upgrade.
If you don't mind another suggestion read on. If yours is an 07 320d I think that would be the 160bhp engine. After that the car received 2 power upgrades to 185bhp and 380nm of torque where it is now. The new 3s driving dynamics, though good will not be as good as the one you drive, as with all new gen Bimmers. I suggest you try out the present 320d. There is also a BMW performance kit for it which increases the power to 205bhp and 430nm odd. Infinity Mumbai have a TD car with the kit. This is just one option worth checking out since you are happy with the dynamics, size, and aren't complaining about the ride.

The X3 though it supposed to be a great car in terms of dynamics, and is apparently very stable. The 3.0 will be a stonker that you can be assured of. It will give the 530d a run for its money and be a bit more practical at the same time. But will miss out on features. Its a pity sports seats are not available as an option, though I am very sure they can be retrofitted.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 19:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Akshay1234,

Trust me you have no idea how much I tried get the sports or comfort seats retrofitted in my 530d, it just was not possible by BMW India, finally sold the car I have an issue when I don't have enough thigh support due to a weak left knee, which is the primary reason we had to sell it,

Now my only options are to look at CBUs or wait for the S class,

Regards,
Old 1st January 2012, 20:00   #39
BHPian

Thanks Akshay1234,
Never cease to be amazed at how helpful team bhpians are,with both S350-E240 and yourself both coming up with guidance on my 3/530/X3 dilemma.
Did consider the power upgrade on my car,but was advised against it by the Workshop manager at Navnit.From what I understood from the brochure,the engine and exhaust kit available at around 2,50,000/-together would improve 0-60 mph by around .5-.6 sec.,and since my car when new was supposed to reach 60 in 8.4 sec.,would bring the 0-60 down to the high sevens.
Looking for a car in the low 6 sec.range,which is 530d/X3 3.0d territory as of now.
If the new 3 with a more powerful engine comes in at those figures,then that would be my first choice.
Point taken on the older,heavier steering,preferred by me as well, to the electronic set-up on the more recent cars,but my chassis is 4 going on 5 and possibly that is why the Navnit engineer recommended a new car over a 07 upgrade.
Any other suggestions from anyone would be most welcome,am a die-hard BMW fan,if anyone from BMW India is reading this and would slot the 530d engine into a 3 chassis for me,it would be a dream come true!Most of my 46000km.on my current car have come from inter-city driving and if BMW would help out with my requirements,would volunteer to bring the car in regularly to Chennai to enable them to use it as a test car(absolutely refuse to refer to a BMW as a mule!)
Anyone out there listening?(Should be,as no car manufacturer in India today worth their salt can afford to ignore the overwhelming weight of opinions on our forum.)
Cheers and happy new year!
P.S.Sorry Akshay,did not proerly absorb the bit about the current 3 at 205 bhp available to TD at Infinity.Am in Mumbai next week,will give it a look,any idea on the acceleration figures?Would still wait for the new 3 ,unless the performance is signifcantly better than my car and very close to anticpated figures for new 3.

Last edited by 911987 : 1st January 2012 at 20:08. Reason: Adding to previous post,issue unaddressed
Old 1st January 2012, 20:10   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay1234,
Never cease to be amazed at how helpful team bhpians are,with both S350-E240 and yourself both coming up with guidance on my 3/530/X3 dilemma.
Did consider the power upgrade on my car,but was advised against it by the Workshop manager at Navnit.From what I understood from the brochure,the engine and exhaust kit available at around 2,50,000/-together would improve 0-60 mph by around .5-.6 sec.,and since my car when new was supposed to reach 60 in 8.4 sec.,would bring the 0-60 down to the high sevens.
Looking for a car in the low 6 sec.range,which is 530d/X3 3.0d territory as of now.
If the new 3 with a more powerful engine comes in at those figures,then that would be my first choice.
Point taken on the older,heavier steering,preferred by me as well, to the electronic set-up on the more recent cars,but my chassis is 4 going on 5 and possibly that is why the Navnit engineer recommended a new car over a 07 upgrade.
Oh you misunderstood me my friend. I wasn't suggesting to upgrade your car with the power kit, anyway its not even available for your version of the 3. Its only for the 177bhp and the 185bhp version. On the 185bhp version the 0-100 comes down from 7.6 to 6.9/7.0 seconds. I was suggesting you pick up the present 3 and get a kit on it you will get a great deal on that. And BTW the Performance pack costs 1,40,000 so I don't know what info Navnit is giving you. It also makes a huge difference in the pull of the car and the responsiveness, leaving the 0-100 figures aside. Have you driven the 3 with the 185bhp engine? If not go and try it out, just for the heck of it.

The F30 due for launch in June will come with the same diesel engine i.e 185bhp.

The 530d and X3 3.0 are both great cars and I would pick either without thinking twice.

EDIT - Do take a TD in Mumbai. PM me if you want my salesmans no, you can speak to him and arrange your TD. I've mentioned the acceleration figures. The new 3 with the same 185bhp engine, and the new 8 speed gearbox has a 0-100 time of 7.5 seconds, just a .1 saving over the current one. But if a petrol is fine the F30 should be launched with a 4 cylinder twin turbo engine with 250 odd bhp and a 0-100 time of 6.2 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Akshay1234,

Trust me you have no idea how much I tried get the sports or comfort seats retrofitted in my 530d, it just was not possible by BMW India, finally sold the car I have an issue when I don't have enough thigh support due to a weak left knee, which is the primary reason we had to sell it,

Now my only options are to look at CBUs or wait for the S class,

Regards,
Thats sad. I don't think an S would cut it for you after the driving pleasure of the 530d. How about the 535i, or maybe even the 640d?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st January 2012 at 20:21.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 20:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

You will in some time have your dream of a higher spec diesel in a smaller car, will ensure BMW hears you out

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 22:41   #42
BHPian

Thanks again to both preceding posters.
@Akshay,will be sure to td the modded current 3 as you suggested,which probably will be offered at increasing discounts as the new launch approaches.One small point,wonder if the 8 speed box as opposed to the current six-speed will reduce or eliminate the acceleration lag felt in my car(07 320d) or even the current model and would make it worth waiting for the new 3.
Not in the market for a petrol car with soaring fuel prices and doubtful fuel quality which could well mess up claimed acceleration figures.
One point I missed out in Akshay's earlier post on not complaining about the hard suspension---agreed the back seat occupants have no joy ride,but it's rare that we are more than two in the car,so no issue there.I actually like the firm ride.
As for Navnit's quote on the kit,mods in the engine bay were quoted at 1,50,000 while new exhaust system was an additional 1,00,000.Have heard that prices of accessories can vary drastically from dealer to dealer and state to state so the 1,40,000 figure for the mods does not come entirely as a surprise.
@S350L-E240
Hope you find a fitting replacement for your 530d soon and many thanks for offering to wire me up to the inner sanctum.
Cheers for the diesel six in the 3.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:32   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pix thanks to Anvancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post

BMW X3.

9 Shot HDR for the background Plate. 8 Shots for the fillers.

Anvancy
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:47   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again to both preceding posters.
@Akshay,will be sure to td the modded current 3 as you suggested,which probably will be offered at increasing discounts as the new launch approaches.One small point,wonder if the 8 speed box as opposed to the current six-speed will reduce or eliminate the acceleration lag felt in my car(07 320d) or even the current model and would make it worth waiting for the new 3.
Not in the market for a petrol car with soaring fuel prices and doubtful fuel quality which could well mess up claimed acceleration figures.
One point I missed out in Akshay's earlier post on not complaining about the hard suspension---agreed the back seat occupants have no joy ride,but it's rare that we are more than two in the car,so no issue there.I actually like the firm ride.
As for Navnit's quote on the kit,mods in the engine bay were quoted at 1,50,000 while new exhaust system was an additional 1,00,000.Have heard that prices of accessories can vary drastically from dealer to dealer and state to state so the 1,40,000 figure for the mods does not come entirely as a surprise.
I too think a diesel makes more sense nowadays. But driving a good petrol sometimes cannot be matched by a diesel.

The 8 speed will definitely be a better box, though I'm not sure if it will reduce the lag too much. I think they make the accelerator less sensitive so that the drive is smoother. But believe me, after I drove the tuned 320d, my car felt dead. It was so responsive with hardly any lag. Also on your car try a transmission reset, it should help a bit with the lag.

I remember someone telling me that BMW may bring in a few 335d's as a limited edition at the auto expo. So that may be an option for you, though expect it to be around the 50l range.

I'm surprised at the prices Navnit is giving you for the kit.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Some pix thanks to Anvancy!
I have one or two more. Ill share once i finish editing it.

Anvancy
Closed Thread