Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th October 2011, 14:27   #31
BHPian

Default Re: i20 CRDI 5 or 6 Speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
Why are there 2 different gearbox varients?
What is the logic?
Why is the 5 / 6 speed choice available only on CRDi and not on petrol?
Refer to the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-6-speed.html (Hyundai i20 : shortage for 6 speed?)
SwiftSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 14:47   #32
BHPian

I have driven both the versions and own the 6 speed version. Not much of a difference in the city if you ask me. The Gear indicator asks you to shift to 6th only at 100+ kph

On the highways, a 6 speed helps. Since you don't have any time crunch and since 6 speed is available on order (I did not know this. I thought its all 5 speed now), Its better you go for the 6 speed if you are getting an i20. 6 speed is only for the Crdi's. Petrols don't get it.

Steering Rattle and weak AC has been discussed in and out on the forum. So, i wont comment on it.
Polo, I really don't like the motor even though i like the car. But, i heard that the new version with the 1.5 litre is coming sometime in 2012. Check if you can wait that long. All the Best
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 15:03   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you need a diesel Vehicle? You haven't mentioned your average estimated run. If its within 1000 kms/month, I would say go for the Jazz. Its premium, best interior space I guess and will give you good FE figures too. Also the magic seats may prove to be quite useful in those highway trips.

Other then that why don you also consider the Fabia?

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th October 2011 at 15:06.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 10:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:

1. Was so happy reading the i20 reports on TBhp but then all the anticipation when thru the window on reading about the steering noise issues of i20.
If you chose to buy an i20, you can only hope & pray that your car does not come inclusive of the dreaded steering rattle. If it doesn't, well, consider yourself lucky. However, if it does, you might as well bang your head against the wall than ask Hyundai to fix the issue.

Neither the company nor the dealer will ever give you a written assurance that steering rattle won't crop up in your i20. Just for the heck of it, you may enquire about i20 steering rattle issues with the dealership where you went for the TD.

As Kimified wrote, there are enough threads here on Team-bhp on that much debated topic, including one where Hyundai wanted to stealthily rectify that defect and to a large extent, failed. Hyundai boasts that 2011 i20 models do not have the issue, but feedback from 2011 i20 owners prove otherwise.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st October 2011 at 10:59.
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 12:37   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 : shortage for 6 speed?

Are you sure we can get the 6S on special order? I asked the Dealer and he mentioned only the 5S is available for the diesel. Have booked the Swift ZDi and quoted as 6-8 months. i20 6S was my second option.
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 14:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Are you sure we can get the 6S on special order? I asked the Dealer and he mentioned only the 5S is available for the diesel. Have booked the Swift ZDi and quoted as 6-8 months. i20 6S was my second option.
Hi Shome,<br><br>Here is the quote i got from Advaith Hyundai sometime 2nd week of Oct 2011.<br>Hope it helps. Dealer was quite clear that 6 speed is available.<br><br>regards,<br>musa<br><br><br>
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 : shortage for 6 speed?-i20-quote.jpg  

Musa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 16:27   #37
BHPian

Aah! Lots of confusion here it seems.

Initially, the i20 crdi came with a 5S unit. Later they switched to a 6S and seems they are back to 5S now.

The first set of 5S rides came with a Bosch ECU.
Somewhere down the line, someone in Korea thought that Bosch was not a good idea and they went for Delphi ECUs. These Delphi ECU machines came with a 6S gb.

Have driven both. The low end torque of the Delphi unit is pathetic to say the least, specially compared to the Bosch driven ones. It was too tuned for mileage!

Havnt seen the new 5S unit. However, I have a hunch that Hyundai has gone back to Bosch for their brain surgery! Can anyone confirm that?
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 17:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ShomeHere is the quote i got from Advaith Hyundai sometime 2nd week of Oct 2011. Hope it helps. Dealer was quite clear that 6 speed is available.regards,musa
thanks Musa. This is very helpful
Shome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

The 6 speed has been discontinued officially. Even Hyundai has removed the gearshift indicator from the diesel i20s.

Current lineup has:

1.2 petrol
  • era
  • magna
  • sportz with 4 alloys, bluetooth and driver airbag
  • asta with 4 alloys, bluetooth, ABS and dual airbags
  • asta with 4 alloys, ABS, dual airbags and audio visual navigaton
  • asta with 4 alloys, ABS, 6 airbags, sunroof and normal audio with bluetooth
1.4 4 speed automatic petrol
  • asta with 4 alloys, bluetooth, ABS and dual airbags, rear disc brakes
  • asta with 4 alloys, ABS, dual airbags and audio visual navigaton, rear disc brakes
1.4 crdi diesel 5 speed manual
  • era
  • magna
  • sportz with 4 alloys, bluetooth and driver airbag
  • asta with 4 alloys, bluetooth, ABS and dual airbags, rear disc brakes
  • asta with 4 alloys, ABS, dual airbags and audio visual navigaton, rear disc brakes
sidindica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 09:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If you chose to buy an i20, you can only hope & pray that your car does not come inclusive of the dreaded steering rattle. If it doesn't, well, consider yourself lucky. However, if it does, you might as well bang your head against the wall than ask Hyundai to fix the issue.

Neither the company nor the dealer will ever give you a written assurance that steering rattle won't crop up in your i20. Just for the heck of it, you may enquire about i20 steering rattle issues with the dealership where you went for the TD.

As Kimified wrote, there are enough threads here on Team-bhp on that much debated topic, including one where Hyundai wanted to stealthily rectify that defect and to a large extent, failed. Hyundai boasts that 2011 i20 models do not have the issue, but feedback from 2011 i20 owners prove otherwise.
Hi Skanchan95,

It's been a couple of weeks after the i20 TD and many many midnights past on TBhp reading up about i20 (and Figo). After all that heart still likes the i20 but distance has NOT made the heart grow fonder so we have decided to drop the i20 for now!

Just not happy with the steering issues. Thank you for being so vocal in highlighting issues with the i20 - it really helps folks like me for whom 8L is not a small amount and we generally keep our cars for many many years.

Also, I think that Hyundai will launch a new i20 (now that the Verna and i10 have undergone some upgrades) so prefer to wait it out.
Now, we are wondering whether to wait for the Ford EcoSport, the new i20, the Maruti RIII or just go for the Figo???
Wife doesn't like the Vista, Punto and Micra.
Any advise anyone?

ps: Being a Libran can be a pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why do you need a diesel Vehicle? You haven't mentioned your average estimated run. If its within 1000 kms/month, I would say go for the Jazz. Its premium, best interior space I guess and will give you good FE figures too. Also the magic seats may prove to be quite useful in those highway trips.

Other then that why don you also consider the Fabia?
Hi DrMohitg

Are you a doc? Me too, or rather was.
Actually, our combined run per month is about 600 km !!
But we have gotten to this stage in life where we want to start seeing the world before time runs out .... so we have more or less decided Diesel to start that journey. Hoping it goes well ... started to read the Travelogues posts on TBhp

Regarding the Fabia: 1. Not too comfortable with its dealership depth and 2. Having driven the Polo which is a 3pot and not liking it, I think I would feel the same way about the Fabia (but will TD is though).

Thanks for the suggestion.
Musa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 21:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Skanchan95,

It's been a couple of weeks after the i20 TD and many many midnights past on TBhp reading up about i20 (and Figo). After all that heart still likes the i20 but distance has NOT made the heart grow fonder so we have decided to drop the i20 for now!
I can understand what you are going through. It must be very tempting to buy the car, but believe me its a hellish experience to ask these Hyundai fellows to fix the issue. The rattle is from the steering and its not something a company can sleep over like how Hyundai has done (in my case, the steering malfunctioned in middle of traffic and I barely managed avoiding an accident.).

I am being vocal because I don't want anyone to go through the experience that I am undergoing with those great men from a joke of a company called Hyundai Motors India Limited.

They have the least sensitivity to a customer's troubles & complaints. When they ran out of all options to fix the steering issues, instead of working further to solve the issues, they began to question the customer's mental health. Wouldn't it piss anyone off?? This, inspite of having patiently co-operated with those fools all the time to find a solution.

You may want to read this, which basically sums up Hyundai's attitude. Just because their cars are selling well, they take "faults" lightly. It is related to the new Verna, but just shows about Hyundai's work ethics.

Quote:
yeah and i forgot, I have complained this to hyundai, They Simply told, We are producing Lot of cars and see sir we have lot of bookings and so there can be ""some faults in some cars"" which cannot be 100% perfect "" they also added " YOU ARE NOT OWNING A BENZ this is Hyundai" I am not looking for a BENZ quality but at least Some thing worth for the 12,00,000 Hard Earned Rupees.
HYUNDAI VERNA FLUIDIC Review, Accessories, Price, India, HYUNDAI VERNA FLUIDIC, Look Can be Deceiving, Nothing But a Good Looking - MouthShut.com

Quote:
Thank you for being so vocal in highlighting issues with the i20 - it really helps folks like me for whom 8L is not a small amount and we generally keep our cars for many many years.
I am glad that my negative experience with Hyundai is seen positively by people like you and that it helps you to come to the correct decision. Even when we bought the i20, we thought it would serve us well for the next five years, but it started giving troubles right from the start, which continue to this day. Even after spending such a huge amount of money(+ bank loan interest) over the car, it has only proven to be a headache with zero mental peace.

This from the bottom of the page in the above link, fro ma fellow i20 owner whose car too has such issues.
Quote:
Folks, I own a i20 for more than 2.5 years, so know a little bit what Hyundai sold to me.
Bottom of all the niceties and despicable experiences, Hyundai is a Korean manufacturer after all with little of their own original car building research/technology. They have off late struck a chord with masses with fancy aerodynamic designs (outsourced to European designers), premium interiors etc. Whatever they offer inside of it is at the mercy of the component vendor’s inhouse technology offering. So what you get is a mash up of everything that looks attractive at first glance.

I have been grappling with Shreenath Hyundai on a repeated complaint of steering wheel vibrating noise whenever front wheel hits bad road. Hyundai has sent out a confidential memo to all their service centres acknowledging a serious design flaw in the electronic motorised rack and pinion steering wheel assembly. Whenever the steering wheel kit/bush gets worn out the rack and pinion rattle and the sound is transmitted into the cabin. Hence, over two years, Shreenath Hyundai would have changed the steering wheel kit free of cost numerous times on each complaint and even replaced once the entire steering wheel assembly. All this is done free of cost only if the car owner raises rucus regarding the noise problem, otherwise they let the customers accept it as a usual thing and let it pass away...

I have sworn to myself that my next car would be German....period!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 26th October 2011 at 21:18.
skanchan95 is online now   Reply With Quote