Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 00:52   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,600 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Classic case of 'Honey, I blew-up the Vento'

Jokes apart, that's quite a nice car, with clean and simple lines. A no-nonsense German exec-sedan at a great price. Perfect for the individual who wants all the necessary creature comforts without shouting out from the roof-tops about it.

I dislike the fake-wood treatment though. And oddly, even the interior reminds me of the Vento! Bland, boring and highly functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
The new Vento looks very good. Nothing flashy, but it will definitely age well. I particularly love the Audi like tail. The interiors look high quality and way more spacious than the outgoing model. Good job VW and a good price!
Looks like it has positively confused you too!

I know it's just a typo, sorry I couldn't resist!
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 01:22   #47
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
VW designers seem too be getting a bit lazy in my view. Family look is one thing, but this is taking it too far.

From the front, its a modded Vento. Interior wise too, the Polo, Vento now Jetta all look basically the same.

Its one thing having a 9 lakh rupee car which looks like its hatch sibling, but an 18lakh rupee car. I am not too sure.
+1
Consider the plight of a family who wants to buy 2 cars from this lineup of VW! They'd get the keys of one car and try to open the other with it

Just some 'IMOs':

It may have a 'clean and timelessness' look, but it really seems to be devoid of any design flair and character. When cars are bland, many seem to find character in them. Not me.

This is far too bland. Yes, everyone may not want to shout from the rooftops about their new car, but this one seems too grandpa like to me. But well, it may suit the classic banker likes, who need to be in a black suit with a white shirt.

Gimme a Laura looking car any day; or night; or when I am blindfolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Classic case of 'Honey, I blew-up the Vento'
You summed it up mate!
Summed it up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The pricing is all right if you benchmark it against the competition. But on a different note is this car worth 1.5 times the Vento. Sure it has got a bigger & better engine, more space and everything a segment above, but asking a 5L premium is a bit high. But what can you say, Skoda pricing is similar.
Very much agree oxyzen. I wonder how it'll pan out once Skoda releases the Rider, which would be pitted against (or with, given they are cousins) the Vento. Given it is likely to be priced below the Vento, it may make the Laura seem overpriced. Or maybe they will not price the Rider much below the Vento.

Quote:
Leave out the underpowered Altis. The Cruze is a much better FVM. Had it offered better interior quality and a bit more space, it could have taken the winds away from VW & Skoda's sails. Not that it havent.
If only the Cruze had Optra like space, ergonomics and comfort inside - it would be such a force! Let us see how the new Cruze works out. May put the Jetta in a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th August 2011 at 01:30. Reason: Typo
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 01:23   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
aniketi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How does it compare to the spacious Altis & Civic? The Laura & Jetta haven't been able to match the Japs for space thus far.
Do you really think Civic is spacious? At least in the back its not. I have traveled in my friends car many times, its not at all spacious. Fitting 3 adults is also a pain. Leg room i find ok but not that great seeing class in which it comes. Also Ingres / Outgres is pain due to height issue. Tall people always touch there head to roof :(

So i will never call Civic as spacious car at all
aniketi is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 01:23   #49
BHPian
 
druk75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 107
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I dont think you get Bluetooth and GPS. The bluetooth module costs closes to 35K and that too the old module.

There was no GPS.

The only thing i can think of is giving the Vento system which has all the features but is not the RCD system.

I am absolutely sure the GC is given erroneously. Sad that a company like VW cant even post proper data in their website.

On the other hand if its 139 i just pity them selling any number in Chennai let alone other places.
Couple of months back i was offered the bluetooth and gps worth 40K for free plus a cash discount on the trendline of 50K. I belive it still holds good and will be applicable for comfortline as well if i were to push the SE. Sure hope the GC is a typo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think there is climate control on the highline, see the pictures on the website. If there isn't then I am just shocked. Earlier today I was shocked at Skoda for the excuse of an RS, and now at VW for the Jetta.

At the same price as the Laura L&K I don't see why anyone would buy it. Honestly the DRLs on the Laura look cooler, its got 12 speakers vs 8 of the Jetta, real leather vs leatherette, and adaptive xenons vs halogens. The only + of the Jetta is paddle shift.
There sure is climate control, but not automatic nor is it a dual zone which the old Jetta had even in trendline guise. I believe the DRLs on the Jetta is just an ad gimmick and in reality its just the good old park lights. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sure as hell I want to be wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
The new Vento looks very good. Nothing flashy, but it will definitely age well. I particularly love the Audi like tail. The interiors look high quality and way more spacious than the outgoing model. Good job VW and a good price!
I guess this was a deliberate pun. The Jetta is so very similar to the Vento up front that one could be forgiven if this looked like a newer Vento on steroids.

Under-powered or not, feature wise, the Corolla Altis looks a steal in the fully loaded variant, with the HID, auto lights and wipers, auto dimming inside RVM, leather and wood interiors et al.
druk75 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 01:27   #50
BHPian
 
druk75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 107
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I dont think you get Bluetooth and GPS. The bluetooth module costs closes to 35K and that too the old module.

There was no GPS.

The only thing i can think of is giving the Vento system which has all the features but is not the RCD system.

I am absolutely sure the GC is given erroneously. Sad that a company like VW cant even post proper data in their website.

On the other hand if its 139 i just pity them selling any number in Chennai let alone other places.
Couple of months back i was offered the bluetooth and gps worth 40K for free plus a cash discount on the trendline of 50K. I belive it still holds good and will be applicable for comfortline as well if i were to push the SE. Sure hope the GC is a typo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think there is climate control on the highline, see the pictures on the website. If there isn't then I am just shocked. Earlier today I was shocked at Skoda for the excuse of an RS, and now at VW for the Jetta.

At the same price as the Laura L&K I don't see why anyone would buy it. Honestly the DRLs on the Laura look cooler, its got 12 speakers vs 8 of the Jetta, real leather vs leatherette, and adaptive xenons vs halogens. The only + of the Jetta is paddle shift.
There sure is climate control, but not automatic nor is it a dual zone which the old Jetta had even in trendline guise. I believe the DRLs on the Jetta is just an ad gimmick and in reality its just the good old park lights. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sure as hell I want to be wrong on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
The new Vento looks very good. Nothing flashy, but it will definitely age well. I particularly love the Audi like tail. The interiors look high quality and way more spacious than the outgoing model. Good job VW and a good price!
I guess this was a deliberate pun. The Jetta is so very similar to the Vento up front that one could be forgiven if this looked like a newer Vento on steroids.

Under-powered or not, feature wise, the Corolla Altis looks a steal in the fully loaded variant, with the HID, auto lights and wipers, auto dimming inside RVM, leather and wood interiors et al.
druk75 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 06:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,623 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The pricing is all right if you benchmark it against the competition. But on a different note is this car worth 1.5 times the Vento. Sure it has got a bigger & better engine, more space and everything a segment above, but asking a 5L premium is a bit high. But what can you say, Skoda pricing is similar.

Leave out the underpowered Altis. The Cruze is a much better FVM. Had it offered better interior quality and a bit more space, it could have taken the winds away from VW & Skoda's sails. Not that it havent.
5L seems a lot if you see it like that. But I feel the car deserves that over the Vento all the more once you see the pricing of the others in the segment. Its bigger, better engine, more spacious, much more luxurious than the Vento. I was fiddling with the idea of buying the old Jetta last week instead of the Vento ( you are familiar with my 'what car' thread. The Jetta feels way more upmarket than the Vento.

I agree that Cruze has got the killer pricing in this segment. And it shows in there monthly sales too. But its too short on interior space. I could just not make myself comfortable in the car. If you can look beyond that then no doubt that Cruze is way more VFM then anyother C+/D segment offering!
drmohitg is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 07:59   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 328
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is that so? The 2 cars are in different segments catering to different needs. Why will they price the Jetta in respect to the Vento. They priced it well enough to compete with its rival the Laura.

14.10L OTR for the base model! you are joking right? Or did you seriously expected the pricing for the Diesel Jetta to start from 12L ex-showroom?
Much of my initial reaction that it was tad overpriced was because of Jetta looking like blown up Vento. Had it looked fresh, different and nothing like Vento, then yes probably would not have felt it that way.

And I guess Oxyzen, pretty much said what I meant to convey otherwise.
rajivn is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 08:52   #53
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

My point of view.

Likes
  1. Stance, very subtle. Somewhere between classy and aggressive. Would have loved a more muscular look.
  2. Interiors, quite refreshing and typical VW.
  3. Manual and AT at par, all variants get a 140 bhp state of tune. Will leave lot of Laura TDI (manual) owners grinding their teeth.
  4. VW reinstates its confidence in the 6 speed DSG.
  5. Flappy pedals unwrapped, finally.
  6. iPod gets acceptance.
  7. Curtain air bags for driver and passenger.
  8. Multi function display and steering mounted controls.
  9. DRL's, the dangling space carrot has finally landed.

Dislikes
  1. Ground clearance just 139mm ; VW dealers would have been advised to stock up their inventories with underbody spares. Will keep the service centre busy.
  2. Unlike the Laura DSG the automatic gear lever in the new Jetta looks like an after thought.
  3. Somehow VW seems to be stuck on their erstwhile 'RCD' series Head unit, time to bring on the 'RNS' with navigation.
  4. Climatic ac across all variants. No Climatronic (climate control) in a car costing 22L!
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 09:28   #54
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 866
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Seems like VW group has decided that for AT users they will position Laura and for MT it's Jetta. As fas as GC is concerned, if the numbers are right, i wonder who is going to buy this car in Blr. The car will be marooned right outside the showroom in of the lunar craters which exist on our roads
ethanhunt123 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 09:40   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Been eagerly waiting for this car to be launched. What is the opinion of this house when comparing trend line with Renault Fluence ? Fluence is less powered for sure.

Last edited by Rameshdude : 18th August 2011 at 09:42.
Rameshdude is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 10:21   #56
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 866
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Renault is a good buy if you want to be chaufered and/or more concerned with FE. Jetta should be better for someone looking for more power.

BTW none of the Blr dealers have one on display or TD. They should get it sometime next week only.
ethanhunt123 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 10:33   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Renault is a good buy if you want to be chaufered and/or more concerned with FE. Jetta should be better for someone looking for more power.
Many dont know that Jetta rear seats are very comfortable and perfect for a single person or two person Chauffeur driving car. Just that it gives a little more for the driver. Both Jetta and Laura are great Chauffeur driven cars and gives premium comfort at the rear.

The only grapewine is that the rear vents for AC's are not exactly powerful. Air flow is very minimal if the front vents are all open.

There is a vent for the rear footrest area as well.

I am eager to look out for the ride wise report. The suspension set up and the total comfort factor of the car. Will take a test drive for sure to feel the difference.
VW2010 is online now  
Old 18th August 2011, 11:40   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Not sure weather I like this or not. Lack of Climatronic is just plain shocking!

Priced almost close to the Laura L&K, I feel the L&K wins hands down, except for the paddle shifts that the Jetta Highline gets.

The pricing across variants, is as good as it gets though. Good move by VW.
Swanand Inamdar is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 11:56   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,192 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
My point of view.

Likes
(...)
Dislikes
Good summary. One point:

Quote:
Unlike the Laura DSG the automatic gear lever in the new Jetta looks like an after thought.
The AT gearshift is *identical* to that in the Vento. The Skoda DSGs have a typical look (very rugged and masculine) that is completely missing in this. VW really is carrying teh family look too far. Besides the Vento is a torque converter to the Jetta's DSG.
Keeping VW features less premium than Skoda's and then pricing at a premium is a strange strategy, if you ask me.

Quote:
  • Somehow VW seems to be stuck on their erstwhile 'RCD' series Head unit, time to bring on the 'RNS' with navigation.
  • Climatic ac across all variants. No Climatronic (climate control) in a car costing 22L!
Spot on! These two features (or lack thereof) alone would make the Jetta a dealbreaker for many.
noopster is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 12:19   #60
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 866
Thanked: 239 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Good summary. One point:

Keeping VW features less premium than Skoda's and then pricing at a premium is a strange strategy, if you ask me.
Not really when you look at Ambiente & Elegance. Features are more or less similiar with a couple of things missing in Laura and a couple missing in Jetta. Only the Highline AT is shockingly bare infront of L&K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
  1. Somehow VW seems to be stuck on their erstwhile 'RCD' series Head unit, time to bring on the 'RNS' with navigation.
  2. Climatic ac across all variants. No Climatronic (climate control) in a car costing 22L!
Spot on! These two features (or lack thereof) alone would make the Jetta a dealbreaker for many.
Agree for Climate Control. But which car in India comes with Navigation inbuilt in A/B/C/C+ segment ? None AFAIK so it cant be a dealbreaker. Anyways even if they get in RNS systems, they need to do a tieup with MMI etc to incorporate their maps in VW system. What i really feel is missing in these cars are customisable options like adding RNS etc aftermarket. If they can offer similiar options as add-on abroad, why cant they do it here.
ethanhunt123 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!* sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 111 18th February 2015 13:04
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs Abhinav667 The Indian Car Scene 239 10th April 2013 19:57
100 BHP+ Diesel Sedan under 10 lakhs - Booked Verna CRDI SX (ABS), now under 9 lakhs newcoolgadgets Sedans 84 16th September 2009 21:28
VW Jetta AT or Skoda Laura L&K 2.0 AT EDIT: its The Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T akhilesh51 Sedans 27 14th July 2009 18:20
VW Jetta is Launching in India EDIT: Now Launched nicejits The Indian Car Scene 249 8th October 2008 15:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks