Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 17:54   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,886 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Sir, first of all i was talking about the diesel superb and not a TSI Superb.
I just checked the Skoda website, they do indeed sell a diesel superb with dsg !!
Nikhil, if you are talking about Superb TDI CR DSG, the price difference with Jetta Highline cannot be just 2 lakhs. It should be close to 5 lakhs
vb-san is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 18:33   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,788
Thanked: 3,028 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Similar looks and same dimensions are done mostly to allow sharing of components. At first glance the Vento and the Jetta can share Headlight assembly , ORVM , door handles, front grille including the fog lamps - applying economies of scale can help squeeze out costs.
Auto cos follow common design philosophy across their model range to give that similar family look, not necessarily with the objective of achieving economies due to part sharing. For eg : The headlight of the Jetta may resemble the Vento but it is not the exact same headlight assembly and will be coded differently in their parts bin.

Many internal parts and mechanicals are shared irrespective of the commonality in the outside design. For eg : 1) Innova and Corolla , 2) Swift , SX4, GV etc..
Santoshbhat is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 18:48   #78
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,005 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

If i read it right on the website, even the Highline does not come with genuine Leather upholstery but Leatherette which is a form of artificial leather.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 19:29   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,571
Thanked: 2,046 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Please be specific as to how i have distorted information?
Nikil no harm done. Just that the Diesel version costs around 27-28L on road while the Jetta high end will cost around 20-21L.

The new High end jetta is in direct competetion to the Laura L&K and thats why we see some of the features that were absent in the Comfortline of 2010 jetta.

VW missed a cue if they worried about Skoda sales. They should have given the highline at 17L ex show room instead of 18. They had a good chance to convert L&K guys to Jetta. Now it may not work out. @21L i am very tempted to pick the Superb let alone any cars.

I am ok with spending on the fuel for the ship i get

Another tit-bit-

The spare wheel is not the usual full size alloy wheel. But a rim based emergency wheel. Someone has to confirm, but i got this information from a friendly dealer.

Also do not go by the website. The gallery shows a picture of full climatronic system with heated seat symbol and the 2010 Jetta centre console. I mean fire those idiots who tried to update their website. And fire the QA who thought everything was fine.

Last edited by VW2010 : 18th August 2011 at 19:41.
VW2010 is online now  
Old 18th August 2011, 19:58   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
VW designers seem too be getting a bit lazy in my view. Family look is one thing, but this is taking it too far.

From the front, its a modded Vento. Interior wise too, the Polo, Vento now Jetta all look basically the same.


If I went into a VW showroom, I would see 3 brothers standing next to each other. Baby brother Polo, middle bro Vento and now the elder bro Vento. Though VW seems to have altered biology a bit by giving us the youngest first and eldest last.
Literally, agree with your observation, since its the same as mine. Get these 4 VW cars together, and pull thier parent company insignia's and get a person with not much interest in cars and ask him whats common?
It wont take him much time to reply that all are from the same company, and that these are siblings. The look was good enough till polo and vento , but extending it uptill Passat and Jetta is just too much for me. Since, it doesnt bring out that 'distinct' something[atleast from the outside] which would set one aside from other.

Ironically, one was waiting for some time for the launch of the new Jetta. Wistfully yearning , perhaps, it would set in motion something that might enable previous generation Jetta owners to sell thier Jetta, so that one could get hands on a previous generation Jetta--which one truly loved. Earlier, My parents hadn't relented to my request for buying the prev-gen Jetta , since, it was a bit too expensive. Perhaps, when many prev-gen Jetta cars end up in second hand market, one could get hands on one of them!.
ritedhawan is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 20:41   #81
BHPian
 
kroniq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

hey guys went to see the car today at the showroom as i was eagerly waiting for its launch. I had gone to the showroom yesterday too but the car arrived today.

The new Jetta that i saw was the DSG and was white in colour. After i reached the showroom i was searching for it to realize the car that i thought was the vento was actually the Jetta.
Jumped inside the passenger side to see how it feels. The beige interiors dissapointed me. And on my asking i was told they dont have options depending on the colour you choose like they did before.

Composing myself to look for plus points went and sat at the backseat, it was quite comfortable and the rear a/c vents were present unlike the model sold in the US.

Comparing it to the laura, I feel the backseat is better in the Jetta the angle of the back is better. Giving it a plus point in my head i walked over to the driver side

Driver seat: Before sitting i noticed the seat controls and i dint like the quality at all. It looked tacky. I made my self comfortable and adjusted the steering to my like. When i tried adjusting the center armrest to rest my elbow on while i pretend to shift gears, I relaized it is not adjustable, i asked for the key to start the engine and hear the engine.

As soon as i put the key in the ignition i could see the DRL's from the reflection of the glass door infront of me. i realised the Laura DRL's are much better. I then switched it on and it was similar to the diesel clutter of the laura. Revved it, it dint rev past 2500-3000 making me wonder if it had the launch control. Took my hand forward to switch the a/c and no climate control system. It reminded me of the base varient of Laura.

I walked out deciding that the next car that i would buy would be a laura elegance dsg or if i extend my budget by 1.5 lakhs i would go for the superb manual.

Hope i could be of any help.
kroniq is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 20:48   #82
BHPian
 
druk75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 107
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Literally, agree with your observation, since its the same as mine. Get these 4 VW cars together, and pull thier parent company insignia's and get a person with not much interest in cars and ask him whats common?
It wont take him much time to reply that all are from the same company, and that these are siblings. The look was good enough till polo and vento , but extending it uptill Passat and Jetta is just too much for me. Since, it doesnt bring out that 'distinct' something[atleast from the outside] which would set one aside from other.

Ironically, one was waiting for some time for the launch of the new Jetta. Wistfully yearning , perhaps, it would set in motion something that might enable previous generation Jetta owners to sell thier Jetta, so that one could get hands on a previous generation Jetta--which one truly loved. Earlier, My parents hadn't relented to my request for buying the prev-gen Jetta , since, it was a bit too expensive. Perhaps, when many prev-gen Jetta cars end up in second hand market, one could get hands on one of them!.
Not all is lost. I believe most dealers are still ready to give you the old Jetta for a good discount, to clear stocks. This may go on for another month at least before Volkswagen pulls the plug on it completely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Another tit-bit-

The spare wheel is not the usual full size alloy wheel. But a rim based emergency wheel. Someone has to confirm, but i got this information from a friendly dealer.

Also do not go by the website. The gallery shows a picture of full climatronic system with heated seat symbol and the 2010 Jetta centre console. I mean fire those idiots who tried to update their website. And fire the QA who thought everything was fine.
I understand that the spare wheel is the steel rimmed type and not an alloy. But they are specifically mentioning that its a full sized wheel.

Also, if the pictures in the gallery are of the old Jetta, its conveniently misguiding the prospective buyer as we do not always get to see the exact variant we desire until we order it and our car is ready for delivery.... What a shame...for Volkswagen. So, do you mean to say that even the seats are not the ones shown in the gallery? I was just about thinking that even if its not real leather, they look quiet elegant and rich....the first and second pictures of the interior are of the new jetta dash, i'm pretty certain as the AC knobs read the same insignia as seen on the dash of the launch car. Any comments?

Hasn't anybody yet tried contacting some dealer to get some genuine info regarding the actual GC?
druk75 is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 20:48   #83
BHPian
 
kar.carthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

I think the pricing is very aggressive. When comparing the basic and top end variants of the Laura,the Jetta beats it head on. The price difference between the 2 base variants is a mere 25 to 30 K,for which u get 2 additional airbags,ESP,a fresh looking car,a little more premium feel etc.

But Iam not sure if its is appropriate strategy to price is so closely to its sister brand and product. This may affect the Laura Sales.

Personally if the Jetta was launched in Jan,I would have opted it over my Laura (Ambient)
kar.carthik is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 21:58   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Sir, first of all i was talking about the diesel superb and not a TSI Superb.
Also please have a look at the launch image of the car, you will see a highline with the manual ac knobs !!
I just checked the Skoda website, they do indeed sell a diesel superb with dsg !! I was doubting myself for a minute

Please be specific as to how i have distorted information?
I just called the Skoda people and then to reconfirm sent someone from the office to get a price list. The OTR price in Delhi for the base superb which I believe comes with the DSG is 25.xx L. The Jetta highline is 18.xxL ex-showroom Delhi. So OTR price will be around 19.5L - 20L. Thats a whopping difference of 5+L boss! And hence my post above. Cheers!
drmohitg is online now  
Old 18th August 2011, 22:02   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,480
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroniq View Post
hey guys went to see the car today at the showroom as i was eagerly waiting for its launch. I had gone to the showroom yesterday too but the car arrived today.

The new Jetta that i saw was the DSG and was white in colour. After i reached the showroom i was searching for it to realize the car that i thought was the vento was actually the Jetta.
Hey thanks for the comparison. Can you please tell which showroom did you go to? I went to the one in Moti nagar and they still haven't got the display car. Earlier I was promised by the SA that he will give me a sneak preview of the car on 7th itself but for some reason the car hasn't arrived it seems.

Mods: sorry for the back to back posts.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 18th August 2011, 22:43   #86
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Nikil no harm done. Just that the Diesel version costs around 27-28L on road while the Jetta high end will cost around 20-21L.

The new High end jetta is in direct competetion to the Laura L&K and thats why we see some of the features that were absent in the Comfortline of 2010 jetta.

VW missed a cue if they worried about Skoda sales. They should have given the highline at 17L ex show room instead of 18. They had a good chance to convert L&K guys to Jetta. Now it may not work out. @21L i am very tempted to pick the Superb let alone any cars.

I am ok with spending on the fuel for the ship i get

Another tit-bit-

The spare wheel is not the usual full size alloy wheel. But a rim based emergency wheel. Someone has to confirm, but i got this information from a friendly dealer.

Also do not go by the website. The gallery shows a picture of full climatronic system with heated seat symbol and the 2010 Jetta centre console. I mean fire those idiots who tried to update their website. And fire the QA who thought everything was fine.

I probably got confused with the TSI prices and the TDi prices. Cheers. All in all the Highline still isnt a good deal IMHO.
nik_kapur is offline  
Old 18th August 2011, 22:44   #87
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I just called the Skoda people and then to reconfirm sent someone from the office to get a price list. The OTR price in Delhi for the base superb which I believe comes with the DSG is 25.xx L. The Jetta highline is 18.xxL ex-showroom Delhi. So OTR price will be around 19.5L - 20L. Thats a whopping difference of 5+L boss! And hence my post above. Cheers!

Agreed ! I was looking at the TSI Price, my bad.
nik_kapur is offline  
Old 19th August 2011, 02:14   #88
BHPian
 
kroniq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 41
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey thanks for the comparison. Can you please tell which showroom did you go to? I went to the one in Moti nagar and they still haven't got the display car. Earlier I was promised by the SA that he will give me a sneak preview of the car on 7th itself but for some reason the car hasn't arrived it seems.

I went to showroom on MG road Gurgaon. They said the test drive vehicle will take 4 days to come, but till then you can see the car.
kroniq is offline  
Old 19th August 2011, 04:16   #89
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

People who have seen the New Jetta -

How does the finish compare to the Laura? Laura seems to have better finish and a more appealing design inside too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Civic is the most spacious car in its segment, along with the Altis. Sit in the Civic, Altis, Cruze & Laura - back to back - and come back to update us.
Couldn't help bringing this up ( ) - How would the Optra fare in inside space comparison? It seemed to be similar to the Corolla/Altis and the seating seemed more comfortable than the Civic (which seems a tad too low to me). Not too sure of my opinions here though.

Quote:
I would disagree. If you are only bothered with the backseat, nothing beats the Altis D4-D...1.4L engine be damned. There's ample room, the ride is nice, and the seat is perfectly contoured for chauffeur-driven comfort.
Quote:
But then, why even spend 14 lakhs? Just buy a Manza diesel and enjoy the supreme comfort levels.
Or buy the Optra at about 9L OTR Delhi (lesser in Haryana) and get ample space, absolute wonderful ride and a very good driving experience too. And yes, a 2L engine too.

(may not be the appropriate place to discuss it - but I wonder why this car is always given a miss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
1) I really like the laura's looks. It has this bold and muscular stance. I have nothing against the jetta's looks but i already have a vento in my garage and i wouldnt want my new car to look like a BIG DADDY VENTO!
+1 - Just love the Laura's looks. Especially from the front. Jetta is disappointing in comparison. But looks are soooooo subjective - I am sure there'll be people who'll love it too.

What you say about buying a Jetta, when one already has a Vento just mirrors the thoughts I shared in my previous post on this thread. Just too boring to have a Vento and a Jetta in the same garage.
Poitive is offline  
Old 19th August 2011, 07:18   #90
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
druk75: Not all is lost. I believe most dealers are still ready to give you the old Jetta for a good discount, to clear stocks. This may go on for another month at least before Volkswagen pulls the plug on it completely.
My parents arn't willing to spend 1 ruppee more than the pre-designated budget[Which is max. 10 lakh] for my buying a car. If I still persist for buying the prev-gen Jetta, reasonably the only option for me is Used car/Second hand car market.
ritedhawan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!* sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 111 18th February 2015 13:04
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs Abhinav667 The Indian Car Scene 239 10th April 2013 19:57
100 BHP+ Diesel Sedan under 10 lakhs - Booked Verna CRDI SX (ABS), now under 9 lakhs newcoolgadgets Sedans 84 16th September 2009 21:28
VW Jetta AT or Skoda Laura L&K 2.0 AT EDIT: its The Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T akhilesh51 Sedans 27 14th July 2009 18:20
VW Jetta is Launching in India EDIT: Now Launched nicejits The Indian Car Scene 249 8th October 2008 15:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks