Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 17:47   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 75
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post


+ 1.
Airbags without ABS! "No sir, we can't prevent the skid, but you'd be safe when it crashes!" ABS should have been present (atleast optional) in the highest variant!
Airbags also help when someone crashes into you. If you are a trained, sensible and considerate driver, your main worry in Indian roads would be someone else crashing into you or rear-ending you. I personally think absolutely all cars should have air bags, and ABS can be optional.
Positron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 19:02   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -----****-----
Posts: 1,030
Thanked: 1,462 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
[*]front power windows
Great and thanks a lot.Just one question,going by the specs,i don't see rear power windows anywhere in the spec sheet.Is it not there?
BoneCollector is online now  
Old 26th September 2011, 19:14   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

ABS optional would have been nice. But recent studies on the Indian car buyers have shown that consumers prefer airbags over ABS. Maybe due to the city driven nature of these cars.
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 26th September 2011, 19:47   #244
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 75
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

I would be keen on price details too - anyone know if Hyundai does good exchange offers? My dad has an old Santro that and I am thinking it would be nice to switch if Hyundai would see a reasonable value for an old Santro.
Positron is offline  
Old 26th September 2011, 21:27   #245
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
I would be keen on price details too - anyone know if Hyundai does good exchange offers?
Do not expect any major offers from Dealers for the EON for the next few months. Having said that Hyundai resale values would really surprise you as they hold value if you have maintained the car very well.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 19:23   #246
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida, Gurgaon
Posts: 438
Thanked: 128 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Ohh Mann, one hell of a Car this is. Don't know why people are not comparing it with Honda Brio, which looks like a direct competition with EON due to looks and size, except engine. Pardon my ignorance, but to me EON looks like eons ahead of all its competitors including the today launch Honda Brio, much better styling inside and outside. Must say I am mighty smitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

+ 1.
Airbags without ABS! "No sir, we can't prevent the skid, but you'd be safe when it crashes!" ABS should have been present (atleast optional) in the highest variant!

That said, Hyundai has got it right! If the pricing is near Chevy spark levels (Need not be as low as Alto!) - Maruti, GM and other small car makers better run for cover till the can offer something better!

Was looking for a better engine spec though (Like Alto K10), but i guess that would be too much of an ask!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Airbags also help when someone crashes into you. If you are a trained, sensible and considerate driver, your main worry in Indian roads would be someone else crashing into you or rear-ending you. I personally think absolutely all cars should have air bags, and ABS can be optional.
Positron to me the logic of crazy driver is more applicable also because ABS one can use on quite often before any accident has happened, whereas Airbags are used just once when accident happens. Since most of the accidents happen due to driver's judgemental errors probably ABS is a must have feature than Airbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
I am not a Honda Fan ! - but the statement above is as ludicrous as it can possibly get. Eon compared to Jazz is the equivalent of comparing cashew nuts to Alphonso mangoes ...
Eon is a fantastic package on paper and I hope it lives up to the hype surrounding it.
All the very best to you on your new purchase as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Recently, I accompanied my friend to the Honda showroom to see the jazz. We liked the jazz and almost decided it. The purchase procedures to commence soon. But, after seeing the pictures of Hyundai Eon and its pricing, today I sent an SMS to my friend to have an immediate look at the eon before finalising the Jazz. Many of you may feel it funny, but, I seriously find no reason to go for the jazz which is priced much much above the eon !!!!
I agree that the comparison with Jazz is too far fetched but if on ignores the functionality of Size in Rear Seat and Boot and ofcourse the Engine Specs, EON is better value for money undoubtedly. IMO EON will be better on driveability as well considering its way too much lighter than Jazz.

Last edited by anu21v : 27th September 2011 at 19:41.
anu21v is offline  
Old 27th September 2011, 19:34   #247
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Positron to me the logic of crazy driver is more applicable also because ABS one can use on quite often before any accident has happened, whereas Airbags are used just once when accident happens. Since most of the accidents happen due to driver's judgemental errors probably ABS is a must have feature than Airbag.
EON is largely expected a city car hence need for ABS would be limited. Your average speeds in the city are very less. ABS + EBD is a better combination but this would increase the car price by 5-7%+ which is quite a lot in this segment.

Secondly Hyundai must have gauged the sale of i10 with ABS to decide if this feature was a necessity in the lower segment EON,

Cheers
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 20:08   #248
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,437 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

I believe Hyundai should have provided ABS + Airbags as optional in all viariants or atleast the top 1 or 2 variants. I understand they omitted this because of price sensitivity in this segment. But giving it optional would have meant that the price is within check and also would have made sense for some customers to opt it giving the extra cash. Also in India we hardly have the concept of 2 cars - one for City drive & one for Highway drives. Most of those people who buy this will use this for both - So the safety devices would have come handy too.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 27th September 2011, 23:43   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I believe Hyundai should have provided ABS + Airbags as optional in all viariants or atleast the top 1 or 2 variants. I understand they omitted this because of price sensitivity in this segment. But giving it optional would have meant that the price is within check and also would have made sense for some customers to opt it giving the extra cash. Also in India we hardly have the concept of 2 cars - one for City drive & one for Highway drives. Most of those people who buy this will use this for both - So the safety devices would have come handy too.
I believe, its immediate competitor that moves 25k units a month (Alto) and to an extent Spark don't provide abs and airbgas. If Hyundai is providing airbags, i would appreciate Hyundai for doing it. If they didn't provide ABS, there must be some reason, like, cost to put one, percentage of customer willing to buy eon with abs, airbags at higher cost which could easily approach i10 pricing thereby affecting i10 sales as well and making financial sense for them to produce it.

I agree abs and airbags would have been killer combo on Eon with a little higher pricing but lets appreciate them for atleast giving airbags and push Maruti and Chevy to provide it with their future upgrades. And who knows, Eon's facelift will have both.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th September 2011 at 23:45.
chevelle is offline  
Old 27th September 2011, 23:45   #250
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
EON is largely expected a city car hence need for ABS would be limited. Your average speeds in the city are very less. ABS + EBD is a better combination but this would increase the car price by 5-7%+ which is quite a lot in this segment.

Secondly Hyundai must have gauged the sale of i10 with ABS to decide if this feature was a necessity in the lower segment EON,

Cheers
You can't be serious!

Just because the Eon is a city car, doesn't mean that the need for ABS is limited. ABS prevents lock-ups even at slow and low speeds, especially when the tyres lose grip due to wet-weather or sandy/muddy roads.

This feature is a necessity in all cars! It's a very important safety feature that is made mandatory in all cars in several markets across the globe. Hyundai cannot decide whether it is a necessity or not. they, or any car company for that matter, cannot come to the conclusion that ABS is not necessary!

But in India, they skimp on such safety features in the name of VFM and pricing, which, IMO, is the worst thing a car company can ever do. You can never put a price on safety. Hyundai has always done it. And that's why Hyundai get's a big black dot in my books.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 00:00   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

The brio is i10 and ritz competitor and jazz is an i20 plus swift competitor. eon will squarely aim at the alto and spark. How about a price band of 2.5 to 3.4 stand?
sidindica is offline  
Old 28th September 2011, 00:24   #252
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,437 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
...but lets appreciate them for atleast giving airbags and push Maruti and Chevy to provide it with their future upgrades. And who knows, Eon's facelift will have both.
I truly appreciate that they have made Airbags standard on the top variant. However I would have probably liked to see the safety options as "optional" on some of the variants. As you said, the product in the Alto segment will not have the feasibility of having these features & more over the competition doesnt provide them as well. When I seriously want this product to be successful, I guess keeping the safety devices as optional would not hurt the customers who are tight on budget, also will help those who want to opt for it. And the pricing remains good vis-a-vis the competition. No one is forced to spend extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The brio is i10 and ritz competitor and jazz is an i20 plus swift competitor. eon will squarely aim at the alto and spark. How about a price band of 2.5 to 3.4 stand?
Will it be priced as low as 2.5L ? Also if this product is priced lower than Santro, I guess that will mean R.I.P Santro !
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 28th September 2011, 00:41   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You can't be serious!
But in India, they skimp on such safety features in the name of VFM and pricing, which, IMO, is the worst thing a car company can ever do. You can never put a price on safety. Hyundai has always done it. And that's why Hyundai get's a big black dot in my books.
Airbags is a part of safety feature. Only Hyundai's top level management can answer why they omitted ABS.

From what you wrote, will Honda get a black dot too for not providing safety in first two variants of Brio?

Its the market demand my friend and conversely, awareness among public about its importance. Just like sometime in 1980s or so, USA made safety features compulsory, if our govt does something like that, we will be able to see safety across all segments. But i don't see that happening, till then, we will have to live with less safety features at lower variants.

I was expecting Honda to lead with an example by providing safety features (abs, airbags) for all variants of Brio since they have done same for Jazz and City, but they mentioned that their target pricing will not be met if they did that. I guess same goes for Hyundai and Maruti too. But since Hyundai has initiated by providing airbags in this segment, others would do well to follow suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I truly appreciate that they have made Airbags standard on the top variant. However I would have probably liked to see the safety options as "optional" on some of the variants. As you said, the product in the Alto segment will not have the feasibility of having these features & more over the competition doesnt provide them as well. When I seriously want this product to be successful, I guess keeping the safety devices as optional would not hurt the customers who are tight on budget, also will help those who want to opt for it. And the pricing remains good vis-a-vis the competition. No one is forced to spend extra.
Its just in our nature that we always want more than what is served on plate.
They provided airbags and we want abs, if they would have provided both at top-end, we would have said why not in a lower variant, if they would have provided optional for all variants we would have said why not make it standard and so on.

BTW, won't the 'optional' safety kit thing apply to Alto and Spark too? What's their excuse after producing these cars for close to 10 years and still not giving one. Hyundai took the first step forward imo by giving Eon the airbags which were not there in Santro. I hope alto's facelift has one and so does spark.
chevelle is offline  
Old 28th September 2011, 00:50   #254
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Airbags is a part of safety feature. Only Hyundai's top level management can answer why they omitted ABS.

From what you wrote, will Honda get a black dot too for not providing safety in first two variants of Brio?

Its the market demand my friend and conversely, awareness among public about its importance. Just like sometime in 1980s or so, USA made safety features compulsory, if our govt does something like that, we will be able to see safety across all segments. But i don't see that happening, till then, we will have to live with less safety features at lower variants.

I was expecting Honda to lead with an example by providing safety features (abs, airbags) for all variants of Brio since they have done same for Jazz and City, but they mentioned that their target pricing will not be met if they did that. I guess same goes for Hyundai and Maruti too. But since Hyundai has initiated by providing airbags in this segment, others would do well to follow suit.

Its just in our nature that we always want more than what is served on plate.
They provided airbags and we want abs, if they would have provided both at top-end, we would have said why not in a lower variant, if they would have provided optional for all variants we would have said why not make it standard and so on.

BTW, won't the 'optional' safety kit thing apply to Alto and Spark too? What's their excuse after producing these cars for close to 10 years and still not giving one. Hyundai took the first step forward imo by giving Eon the airbags which were not there in Santro. I hope alto's facelift has one and so does spark.
More than Hyundai, it's Maruti that skimps on safety features a great deal. At least some variants of the i10 and i20 come with optional airbags and are standard on some variants.

Honda has disappointed me. I was expecting the Brio to come with 3 variants. The E, the S and the V. The E, understandably, will be the bare-bones Brio without the safety features. But I didn't expect Honda to introduce a S and a S(o). Honda does get a black dot from my side for skimping on safety features. But all the other cars they sell come with safety features as standard across all variants, which earns them a few brownie points.

Now if Honda can provide airbags on the Brio and price it @ 4.9 ex-showroom, why can't Maruti do the same for the Swift variants. Why is it that only those who can afford it can enjoy safety? Doesn't everyone have the right to have safety features?
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 28th September 2011, 01:29   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
More than Hyundai, it's Maruti that skimps on safety features a great deal. At least some variants of the i10 and i20 come with optional airbags and are standard on some variants.

Honda has disappointed me. I was expecting the Brio to come with 3 variants. The E, the S and the V. The E, understandably, will be the bare-bones Brio without the safety features. But I didn't expect Honda to introduce a S and a S(o). Honda does get a black dot from my side for skimping on safety features. But all the other cars they sell come with safety features as standard across all variants, which earns them a few brownie points.

Now if Honda can provide airbags on the Brio and price it @ 4.9 ex-showroom, why can't Maruti do the same for the Swift variants.
I agree, Maruti is culprit here, but unless we demand safety features, we won't get it. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Even when swift doesn't provide features it is the sales star and you know why!

I appreciated Honda for launching Jazz and city with safety features and not skimping on it and i hoped that others would follow suit, but i don't see that happening. I guess it will be same in lower segment too.

Quote:
Why is it that only those who can afford it can enjoy safety? Doesn't everyone have the right to have safety features?
Answer to your question is in my post below and i quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

Its the market demand my friend and conversely, awareness among public about its importance. Just like sometime in 1980s or so, USA made safety features compulsory, if our govt does something like that, we will be able to see safety across all segments. But i don't see that happening, till then, we will have to live with less safety features at lower variants.
Also, everyone has the right provided, they are aware of its importance and role those safety features play in day to day life. Awareness and its importance is something which needs to be inculcated by government, auto manufacturers so that public knows it.

Apart from that, i feel Eon's specs are pretty spot on. Hope the pricing is just as sid as indicated. That would be cherry on top.

Last edited by chevelle : 28th September 2011 at 01:30.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver airbag now standard on the Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent, optional on the Eon! RSR The Indian Car Scene 34 1st May 2016 00:51
Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3) mints21 The Indian Car Scene 52 14th December 2015 11:01
Planning long holiday, Delhi-Leh-Delhi, Delhi-Gangotri-Delhi by road arunforu1 Route / Travel Queries 19 22nd August 2009 02:25
Hyundai Cut prices- New detailed prices. harry10 The Indian Car Scene 5 9th December 2008 00:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks