Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th October 2011, 21:35   #466
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

I am a tad disappointed with the pricing of eon. IMHO, Hyundai has lost a great opportunity to seriously dent alto sales and gain from them. This price range comes in comparision to estilo and wagon R instead of alto. Maruti can take a sigh of relief

a 30-40000 price difference matters a lot to this segment buyers and that should weigh in maruti favour but then indian market has a habit of surprising us a lot
Old 13th October 2011, 22:18   #467
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai seems to have brought out a good car with a bad price tag. IMO its overpriced by 20k. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Eon will not take over the Alto's numero uno position. 20-25k is a huge sum in this segment. Moreover in today's high fuel price age, whether Eon will be able to match Alto's FE needs to be seen. Eon will be suitable for those who are more value conscious while Alto will pull the right strings for those whi are price conscious.
Old 13th October 2011, 22:49   #468
Senior - BHPian

I read in the quick review that the dashboard is set high and front visibility is not that great for short drivers. I think Alto has an advantage here (from a new driver perspective as well). And yes, the price is higher than expectation.
Hope Nano diesel is out soon.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:08   #469
Senior - BHPian

As i have learnt on this very forum that it appears to be a Hyundai trademark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Drive View Post
Just Test Drove Eon,

-ves:
Steering was totally vague and lifeless, iam not sure whether this was only in the car i drove or on all cars!
Old 14th October 2011, 00:18   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
There is nothing great in selling decades old model in cheap prices. Infact alto should be even cheaper.
+1 There is a night and day difference between the quality, fit and finish of the Alto and EON. There is no way Hyundai could have priced such a quality car less than or equal to Alto.

You get what you pay for. The K10 may be a good engine, but Maruti is not selling engines, it sells cars! Overall Alto looks dated and outright cheap. Eon is like a burst of fresh air in this segment - though priced marginally higher. Don't underestimate the common man, they will be able to see the contrast as soon as they compare both the cars. It should sell very well.

Last edited by SunilM : 14th October 2011 at 00:20.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:36   #471
BHPian

Hyundai got the emotional appeal of the car right, unlike Suzuki's Astar. But the pricing is high. Eon will have reasonable success, but need to watch for regular numbers after the initial euphoria dies down.

Indian consumer will happily pay for quality, but the price gap is just too much in this case. There is a Rs. 30,000 price difference for similar spec Alto models. e.g. AC+Power Steering list price is 2.81L for Alto Lxi and 3.12L for the Eon Era- both Delhi. Suzuki already has discounts and offers running on the Alto, and that means the real-showroom price difference will be closer to Rs. 45,000. Add the difference in additional expenses like registration and insurance, and we may be talking about a net Rs. 50,000 difference in the on-road price. And, Alto Lxi is the most popular Alto model. This is an unbeatable deal for most buyers, esp in comparison to the Eon. So, while Eon will get decent numbers, Alto will remain the king of the hill for now. In fact, Eon pricing makes Astar looks like a very good deal! I hate the looks, but I wonder if the comparison will end up driving some sales to the otherwise lost Astar.

If I recall correctly, Suzuki used to export the Alto 1/ 1.1L with airbags+ABS, and even an auto transmission. They'll have the vendors relationships to do this at an affordable cost even now. If they can pit the Alto 10K (or even the 800cc alto) at 3.5-3.75L price range with airbags+abs+auto transmission, Eon will lose a lot of the metro sales as well. No need for leather seats and body stickers gimmicks by suzuki- the automatic Alto's convenience for our cities will beat the looks and interior quality appeal of the Eon for a large share of the prospective Eon buyers.

Hyundai may have cemented its place as a quality small car maker, but lost the plot when it comes to wresting the top slot from the Alto and it's maker. May be they weren't aiming that high after all.

I guess we'll have to wait for an upgraded Nano in CNG and diesel avatars at 2-2.5L for the top-end version, for Alto to drop the mass-market crown. But Tata Motors have proven adept at messing things up. So, fingers crossed.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:11   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
They could not have named it anything from i1 to i9 and these trademarks are reserved by Audi (i think) worldwide.
Eon is a nice name in itself. It is gonna be a alto killer. Killer pricing and brilliant product
ofF topic: the trademark has been registered by BMW for their electric cars....

Coming back to the Eon: I was chatting with two Hyundai dealers who also felt the Eon was overpriced by 20,000 rupees. Also Hyundai isn't going in for any factory expansion and so they have capacity constraints. A certain Hyundai exec told me that since the focus of Hyundai is on profitable growth and buyers are willing to pay a premium for hyundai cars, why would the company not want to make hay while the sun shines... it's a completely different story that us Indians treat any and every brand (except the home grown ones) as Premium. Relics of the License Raj

Last edited by djpeesh : 14th October 2011 at 01:22.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:34   #473
BHPian

I think Eon will sell well on this present price-point, purely on the hype and because of the fact that there are too many altos on the road already, so for people looking for different looking car the price difference should not matter. its like many people opt for cars other than Swift just because there are too many of them on the road!

In addition, it creates space for Hyundai to bring in cash discounts or add-ons 4/6 months down the line once they hype settles. So a good move in all IMO.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:50   #474
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Note from Mod : Team-BHP's official Hyundai Eon review has been uploaded at this link (Hyundai Eon : Test Drive & Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2011 at 17:37. Reason: Adding link to official review
Closed Thread