Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th August 2011, 21:08   #181
BHPian

Default Skoda Laura VRS: First Impression

Chanced upon a test drive on the 'bride in waiting' Skoda Laura VRS. Had to pull some strings at the right places . Initial impressions:

1. 160bhp 1.8 TSI Motor. Same state of tune, whats the point? Engine growl or rather lack of it felt tame. Engine code 'CDAA'.
2. 6 speed manual stick. The clutch felt exactly the same as it feels on the current TSI, so no hard sport clutch here. Transmission code 'NMY'.
3. Trademark VRS seats, couldn't figure out if it was leather or leatherette. Manually adjustable front seats - IMO it deserved electric. Rear seats did not feel any different than the existing TSI Ambient seats.
4. 16" alloys, look hot. 205/R16 tyres (no idea which brand)
5. RCD 510, Bolero head unit.
6. VRS steering, no steering mounted controls though.
7. Manual AC. Oops!
8. Massive spoiler.
9. Chrome exhaust tips.
10. Xenon lamps with headlamp washers.
11. DRL, Led fogs.
12. Electric Sunroof.
13. Complete black interiors, look devilish. Not plush anymore.
14. Airbags all around (6?)
15. VRS pedal set. All metal.
16. Car seemed to ride at same height as the existing TSI. Do I see atleast some Bangloreans cheer.
17. Suspension, couldn't figure out anything in such a short drive.

Launching on 31-Aug, we had no information on the price point at the time of TD. I feel if priced beyond 14~15 ex-showroom this would turn out to be a market dud. All in all a TSI Laura with just a VRS body kit and a little razzmatazz, not an iota of VRS character. Kind of pseudo-VRS!

Rohit, grinning ear to ear!!
Name:  IMG2011082700225.jpg
Views: 4468
Size:  133.2 KB
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-img2011082700224.jpg
Name:  IMG2011082700233.jpg
Views: 2568
Size:  103.1 KB
Name:  IMG2011082700228.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  116.9 KB
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-img2011082700231.jpg
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-img2011082700236.jpg
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-img2011082700237.jpg
Name:  IMG2011082700235.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  167.5 KB
Name:  IMG2011082700239.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  89.5 KB
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-img2011082700244.jpg

Notes
1. No one invited us for this TD, we just had a VRS itch and it was completely self funded.
2. The car had not gone through a PDI, hence was in limp mode. Drive restricted to 3000 rpm.
3. Bhpian RohitM was present with me for the TD and was extremly helpful in enumerating this post.
luky_13 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 21:10   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura VRS: First Impression

Thanks lucky_13! credit goes to you in managing to pull this off!
Old 27th August 2011, 21:17   #183
BHPian

So, the first drive / impression of the vRS is out on the forum, first hand experience by BHPians.

Kudos to both.

The specs and features are not coming as a surprise. Like I mentioned on the other vRS thread, Skoda really needs to think about the 2.0 TFSi engine for the vRS to really make it feel & perform like a true vRS.

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2011, 21:37   #184
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Luky_13, Thanks for the details and Pics. Now that the details are out i am feeling both Good and Bad. Good because i won't have to lust for the VRs, i can continue to enjoy my TDI DSG, Also a TSi variant with more equipment was always missed. Bad because this is not a true blue VRs which is available in other markets, and if suspension works out to be same, it is just a car which looks like VRs, not the real VRs.

The VRs anyways will not sell in high volumes, if came with the 2.0 TSI and sportier suspension it would have done wonders to Skoda's image, just like the Octy VRs did.

@Luky_13: I can see the Tire Pressure Monitoring button on the central console, you missed it in the list.
Old 27th August 2011, 21:37   #185
BHPian

The good news is, that existing TSI owners (yes even TSI Classic owners ) can just buy the vRS body kit, add a RCD 510, get dark interior leather, upgrade to 16" alloys, clamp the vRS badge and bingo you have given birth to a vRS.

Psst, no one will ever know!!
Old 27th August 2011, 21:38   #186
Team-BHP Support

Noopster, seems your source about the DSG was wrong :( Either way what the heck is VAG upto. First an underspecced Jetta, and now a fake VRS. They certainly need to get their act together for the 15-20l segment. The Passat and the Superb, and the Vento are very VFM but the 2 latest launches are far from that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 21:51   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Chanced upon a test drive on the 'bride in waiting' Skoda Laura VRS. Had to pull some strings at the right places . Initial impressions:

1. 160bhp 1.8 TSI Motor. Same state of tune, whats the point? Engine growl or rather lack of it felt tame. Engine code 'CDAA'.
2. 6 speed manual stick. The clutch felt exactly the same as it feels on the current TSI, so no hard sport clutch here. Transmission code 'NMY'.
3. Trademark VRS seats, couldn't figure out if it was leather or leatherette. Manually adjustable front seats - IMO it deserved electric. Rear seats did not feel any different than the existing TSI Ambient seats.
5. RCD 510, Bolero head unit.
6. VRS steering, no steering mounted controls though.
7. Manual AC. Oops!
8. Massive spoiler.
9. Chrome exhaust tips.
10. Xenon lamps with headlamp washers.
11. DRL, Led fogs.
12. Electric Sunroof.
13. Complete black interiors, look devilish. Not plush anymore.
14. Airbags all around (6?)
15. VRS pedal set. All metal.
16. Car seemed to ride at same height as the existing TSI. Do I see atleast some Bangloreans cheer.
17. Suspension, couldn't figure out anything in such a short drive.

Launching on 31-Aug, we had no information on the price point at the time of TD. I feel if priced beyond 14~15 ex-showroom this would turn out to be a market dud. All in all a TSI Laura with just a VRS body kit and a little razzmatazz, not an iota of VRS character. Kind of pseudo-VRS!

Rohit, grinning ear to ear!!

Notes
1. No one invited us for this TD, we just had a VRS itch and it was completely self funded.
2. The car had not gone through a PDI, hence was in limp mode. Drive restricted to 3000 rpm.
3. Bhpian RohitM was present with me for the TD and was extremly helpful in enumerating this post.
any idea if it has electric folding mirrors like the elegance & l&k models?
Old 27th August 2011, 22:07   #188
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

TSI Laura owners can get the kit and alloys and feel happy.

This may actually get some Laura petrols to sell.

A true VRs would probably have been too expensive and fuel ineffecient to sell in numbers. But then at this price, Superb Petrol and Laura DSG Diesel upgrades seem a better idea.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:16   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Good because i won't have to lust for the VRs, i can continue to enjoy my TDI DSG, Also a TSi variant with more equipment was always missed. Bad because this is not a true blue VRs which is available in other markets, and if suspension works out to be same, it is just a car which looks like VRs, not the real VRs.
Exactly my thoughts after the test drive. What vRS, Who vRS! In fact Skoda has just shown current Laura owners on how to get their current steads to dawn a vRS avatar. They could have badged this one as TSI Elegance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Luky_13: I can see the Tire Pressure Monitoring button on the central console, you missed it in the list.
Correct, that's x-ray vision. There you got me by the short and curlies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Noopster, seems your source about the DSG was wrong :( Either way what the heck is VAG upto. First an underspecced Jetta, and now a fake VRS. They certainly need to get their act together for the 15-20l segment. The Passat and the Superb, and the Vento are very VFM but the 2 latest launches are far from that.
I gave heard a whisper that this is going to be priced around 16~17 ex-showroom, if it does then there is no way VW could plonk a DSG into it. vRS would then be treading into Passat-zone. Talk about market strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
any idea if it has electric folding mirrors like the elegance & l&k models?
Sorry brother, didn't take a note of that.

Last edited by luky_13 : 27th August 2011 at 22:21. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th August 2011, 22:21   #190
BHPian

Is it just me or does the side profile look very odd. I do think it is because of the raised ride height and smaller alloys [compared to European models] that is giving it this odd look. I'd prefer a standard TSi any day even in the looks department. But I must admit, the front bumper is sexy!
Old 27th August 2011, 22:25   #191
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Is it just me or does the side profile look very odd. I do think it is because of the raised ride height and smaller alloys [compared to European models] that is giving it this odd look. I'd prefer a standard TSi any day even in the looks department. But I must admit, the front bumper is sexy!
I feel this one does look better than the standard TSI in look, besides the standard TSI comes with 15" rims with 195 width tyres unlike the diesel that have 16" in the top trims with 205 width, the standard TSI is under tyred and the VRS does fill the wheel arches better.
Old 27th August 2011, 22:55   #192
BHPian

One more detail to whats already been published by luky

The vRS will be available atleast in the following colors:

a. Candy White
b. Black Magic Pearl
c. either Pacific Blue or Lava Blue

Cheers.

Last edited by rohitm : 27th August 2011 at 23:00.
Old 28th August 2011, 08:57   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Looks like Goodyear NCTs to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
One more detail to whats already been published by luky

The vRS will be available atleast in the following colors:

a. Candy White
b. Black Magic Pearl
c. either Pacific Blue or Lava Blue

Cheers.
No red? I think it will look smashing in red.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:34   #194
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

@luky_13 you are one lucky Bhpian to have driven this yet to be launched hot Sedan. Although Laura already is a winner in the looks department, the vRS is making it even better looker IMO.

The Alloys (Off course which can be fit afterwards), the Sun roof make this car a wanna buy, surely a better engine would have make it icing on the cake but the current one is not a slouch as far as engine performance is concerned.

Most of the sports launches in India rarely get a new engine spec (Except the Octavia i guess). Remember Palio Sport the poor thing didn't not only came with a 1.2 (As not 1.6 as in GTX) also didn't had alloys, total ripoff IMO.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:46   #195
BHPian

From those pics the car seems like it hasnt gone through PDI, (pre delivery inspection) i say that because the plastic covers and seat covers havent been removed yet, which means the suspension could be on lock mode for the drivers to drive it down to the workshop from their stockyards. This could mean the laura we saw in the last pic could possibly be lower by a little after pdi.

Im gettin tired of thd audi i really might sell it and go all out with a VRS doing stage 3 etc...i have booked an innova for a daily driver so ill be set . Does petes have everything for the 1.8 tsi engines?

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th August 2011 at 18:32. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Closed Thread