Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 15:08   #226
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 871
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Carwale is showing ~15.7L ex-showroom Blr making it roughly ~19.4L OTR Blr. Niche offering i would say, not worth paying ~4L over Ambiente TSI for a body kit with sunroof and touchscreen system.
ethanhunt123 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 15:11   #227
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Now only the pricing can decide if this is going to be worth it. If priced at par with the Elegance then it will be a decent deal, but if they go above into L&K level then it will be a ripoff.

What is missing from the RS which is present on the L&K are -
DSG
Maxidot display
Auto lights
Auto dimming external mirrors
Power seats with memory (incl mirrors)
12 speakers vs 8 on the RS
Multifunction steering wheel
Climatronic AC

What is has over the L&K
Sports seats
Bodykit
Sunroof

Frankly I wish there was the 7 speed DSG on this with paddles.

EDIT - Ok so seems its 15.2 ex showroom Mumbai. Considering the Ambiente is 13.xx ex showroom this seems like its well worth the price.

Good on you Skoda for the price. But its sacrilege not giving 17s at the least.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 31st August 2011 at 15:13.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:12   #228
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

They have only revealed pricing for Maharashtra. Not sure if carwale's price is rough idea or genuine.
mayanksabharwal is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 15:39   #229
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

What is missing from the RS which is present on the L&K are -
DSG
Maxidot display
Auto lights
Auto dimming external mirrors
Power seats with memory (incl mirrors)
12 speakers vs 8 on the RS
Multifunction steering wheel
Climatronic AC

What is has over the L&K
Sports seats
Bodykit
Sunroof

Frankly I wish there was the 7 speed DSG on this with paddles.

Good on you Skoda for the price. But its sacrilege not giving 17s at the least.
Honestly, the real enthusiasts could live with the 6-speed manual, and the lack of features like Climatronic AC and so on. The multi-function steering won't really be missed by the true-blue enthusiast IMO. A clean, no-nonsense steering is the way to go for a car like the vRS with sporty intentions. Same goes with electronic-adj-seats.

What are 'auto-lights'? I think the lights on the new vRS are self-adjusting.

However, what really hurts is that they haven't given us great engine options. The regular 1.8TSI lump is a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I mean, it's a great engine, but the 2.0 200 hp petrol motor would have been appropriate, and the 170 hp diesel would have been a nice option too.

The vRS abroad comes with massive 18" wheels, if I'm not wrong. And Skoda have downsized it to 16" for India. It's so sad.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 15:50   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,094
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

The details for the VRS are available on the India Skoda website:
Individualities

Also, attaching the brochure for the India Laura VRS , from Skoda India website.
SkodaVRSbrochur (1).pdf
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:59   #231
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

I don't know why people are disappointed with the vRS. I think what they have offered is fantastic and actually just perfect.

1. No Climate control. This is great. Laura's have reports of failing AC electronics and doing away with this is the right thing to do. How many times do people keep changing the AC settings. I have it in one of my cars and not in the other. Never felt I'm missing out in my Figo that doesnt have it.
2. No electric seats. Again better without. I've seen motor fails and the seats jammed in a super uncomfy position. Nice to have but will not be missed.

16" with stiffened suspension. 16" compared to international 18" on stiffened suspension will be a nightmare on our roads. If one reads the overdrive review in sep issue, they have mentioned 16" with stiffened suspension is bone jarring. Imagine with 18". Suspension is stiffened but raised, great for our speed breakers. The earlier RS used to scrape everything, even the front skirt would hit some bumps. Many cracked bumpers on the old RS meaning expensive replacement.

Engine the 1.8Tsi with 160PS is still the most powerful and quickest car in its segment and even the segment above. It can reach silly speeds in no time and the mid range once the turbo is on song is mind blowing. This added with a not too bad FE for the power. The 200bhp 2.0TSI would be a great performer but a guzzler.

Now lets compare with the old vRS. What did it offer compared to the 1.8Tpi.
1. Front skirt
2. Rear spoiler
3. xenons
4. 16" alloys
5. sport seats
6. climate control
7. silver/CF inserts on the dash.
8. sunroof

Compare this with the new vRS and the 1.8TSi ambiente. It's the same as before.

ps: I am not completely sure if the car has xenons and if it has ipod connectivity. If not this is a big omission.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 16:09   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: new delhi
Posts: 78
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

This is what they had to say when i asked them about not bringing the 200hp car [from the Live chat session]

i quote:
Skoda Karl : The 2.0 TSI offered internationally is suited to run on minimum 95 octane fuel, which is scarce in India. Its performance (top speed, accelaration) though is only marginally superior. You may refer to the internationaly website (skoda-auto.com) for the values. We wanted to deliver the TSI experience in the most appropriate and accessible package
Jaxy is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:09   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,094
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I don't know why people are disappointed with the vRS. I think what they have offered is fantastic and actually just perfect.

1. No Climate control. This is great. Laura's have reports of failing AC electronics and doing away with this is the right thing to do. How many times do people keep changing the AC settings. I have it in one of my cars and not in the other. Never felt I'm missing out in my Figo that doesnt have it.
2. No electric seats. Again better without. I've seen motor fails and the seats jammed in a super uncomfy position. Nice to have but will not be missed.

16" with stiffened suspension. 16" compared to international 18" on stiffened suspension will be a nightmare on our roads. If one reads the overdrive review in sep issue, they have mentioned 16" with stiffened suspension is bone jarring. Imagine with 18". Suspension is stiffened but raised, great for our speed breakers. The earlier RS used to scrape everything, even the front skirt would hit some bumps. Many cracked bumpers on the old RS meaning expensive replacement.

Engine the 1.8Tsi with 160PS is still the most powerful and quickest car in its segment and even the segment above. It can reach silly speeds in no time and the mid range once the turbo is on song is mind blowing. This added with a not too bad FE for the power. The 200bhp 2.0TSI would be a great performer but a guzzler.

Now lets compare with the old vRS. What did it offer compared to the 1.8Tpi.
1. Front skirt
2. Rear spoiler
3. xenons
4. 16" alloys
5. sport seats
6. climate control
7. silver/CF inserts on the dash.
8. sunroof

Compare this with the new vRS and the 1.8TSi ambiente. It's the same as before.

ps: I am not completely sure if the car has xenons and if it has ipod connectivity. If not this is a big omission.
Hi Vid6639,

Great summary! Completely agree with you, as in India we also have to have a practical car which can face the road challenges - potholes / breakers and crazy traffic!

Also, to add to the list, it does have Xenon headlamps + cornering fogs!

(Apologies for the double posts - I lost track of time and thought I had crossed the Edit window)

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st August 2011 at 16:11.
Behemoth is online now  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:09   #234
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,156
Thanked: 2,461 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
But honestly, wasn't this the case with Octy RS as well?
The only difference between Octy TPi and Octy RS was suspension, interior cosmetics and body kit (including sun roof).
Yep that is just how it was with the first VRS as well. The petrol base spec - Rider too had the same engine. But at that time possibly they did not have a different international VRS.

Yet comparing the 150 odd bhp of the first VRS the current one out almost 8 years later gets just a 10% bhp boost? So there would be cribbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to get info on the Laura RS straight from the horses mouth? Log on tomorrow, 31st of August 2011 from 4 pm to 6 pm.

The chat will be conducted live at Site Under Construction.
Nice new way to do it.

We will once again see Yellow cars on the road after a long time, and frankly the VRS is the only one that can carry off yellow fairly well.

---- i.e. besides a lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What are 'auto-lights'? I think the lights on the new vRS are self-adjusting.

The vRS abroad comes with massive 18" wheels, if I'm not wrong. And Skoda have downsized it to 16" for India. It's so sad.
Auto Lights are lights that come on automatically when it gets dark (like when we go into a tunnel without lights.)

18" or for that matter even 17" on the Laura on Indian Roads would be back breaking as it already has a stiff suspension and hence ride.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 17:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ACM is online now  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:23   #235
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Auto Lights are lights that come on automatically when it gets dark (like when we go into a tunnel without lights.)

18" or for that matter even 17" on the Laura on Indian Roads would be back breaking as it already has a stiff suspension and hence ride.
I'm sorry, I hadn't asked the question correctly. When Akshay mentioned auto-lights, I assumed he is talking about lights that automatically adjust. I'm aware of auto-lights.

Well, it does make sense, when you look at it practically. You're absolutely right, actually! But then that's like saying "the bikini model must wear a gown at the photo-shoot, there is just too much skin on the telly! Her face should be enough, she is pretty after-all!"
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:24   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep that is just how it was with the first VRS as well. The petrol base spec - Rider too had the same engine. But at that time possibly they did not have a different international VRS.

Yet comparing the 150 odd bhp of the first VRS the current one out almost 8 years later gets just a 10% bhp boost? So there would be cribbers.
And there was not much of team-bhp around then (compared to this day)...so general customer satisfaction levels were higher.

BTW, I was looking at the RS and regular Laura TSI specs side by side:
GC: same, 164mm
Suspension: same (at least the text description), not sure how they specify stiffness, etc, may be they don't
Brakes: same

So all in all, RS is a fully equipped version of a very powerfull petrol car with manual transmission...spoiler, sunroof, not bad.


In fact they should now launch various engine and transmission options one by one and force Honda out into the diesel territory..

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 31st August 2011 at 16:25.
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:28   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Not sure about others, i kindof like the looks. Laura already was a looker and the vRS colors and the some of the features make it a real killer combo. Offcourse the price (especially in BLR) is getting into a segment higher range and this car may not sell purely because of that.
mayankjha1806 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:31   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Rs 15.20 lacs ex showroom maharashtra - available in Yellow, white, blue and black.

No red color ? No sunroof ? Same engine as the TSi ?

Come on Skoda ! We aint fools

Last edited by normally_crazy : 31st August 2011 at 16:40.
normally_crazy is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:45   #239
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Rs 15.20 lacs ex showroom maharashtra - available in Yellow, white, blue and black.

No red color ? No sunroof ? Same engine as the TSi ?

Come on Skoda ! We aint fools
Sunroof is very much there. Same engine as the TSi but wasn't it the same as the older vRS i.e. same as 1.8TPi.

The earlier vRS was also 1.5L more than the 1.8TPi.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 31st August 2011, 16:51   #240
BHPian
 
balenopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 909
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

yep. Sunroof is there, but no USB conectivity. Suspension has been stiffened and ride quality is plain "unacceptable" but that did make the handling plain brilliant. Just the kit and alcantara/leather seats do not really do justice. Yes it has better looking alloys, but then all one pays is for looks and you can kit up a stock Laura TSI for much cheaper than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-vrs.jpg  


Last edited by balenopower : 31st August 2011 at 16:54.
balenopower is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura vRS DCEite The Indian Car Scene 60 12th June 2011 22:12
Automatic within 19L !!! funkydevil Sedans 20 11th May 2008 21:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks