Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th September 2011, 18:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: *SCOOP* Renault's new small car Modus caught testing. EDIT : New pics on Page 6

Looks like a 4mtr version of Ritz!
Most likely it will sport 1.2ltr 75HP and same old 1.5ltr dci engine.

IMO, Modus will be a good option if priced in the range of Ritz/i10 and not go Jazz/Swift way.

Is Nissan planning to bring in Note which is based on the same platform as Modus?
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 11:12   #47
BHPian

Default re: *SCOOP* Renault's new small car Modus caught testing. EDIT : New pics on Page 6

Is it just me or is the car really that ugly? I never thought I'd see a more hideous looking car than the Ritz or Dzire, until I saw this one. Ugh!

Function over form, I suppose.
Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 16:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Yet another 'tall boy' if you want to call that and yes love tall boys for their sheer comfort in ergonomics and space utilization and once again the front looks much nicer than the rear. Hope they price it bang opposite to Ritz and offer much needed choice. Also the open show (not fully masked test mule) itself signifies that they are actually testing the market perception and must be just the very next corner in the launch schedule.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 21:09   #49
BANNED

Renault's small car is going to be based on the V-platform shared with the Micra
the car that is in this thread is based on the Logan Platform.
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 00:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica
Is it just me or is the car really that ugly? I never thought I'd see a more hideous looking car than the Ritz or Dzire, until I saw this one. Ugh!

Function over form, I suppose.
+1to that.

Any feedback on the reliability/utility from other countries where it's sold?

Hope it doesn't end up being a competitor to Indicab (like Logan).
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 10:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Renault's small car is going to be based on the V-platform shared with the Micra
the car that is in this thread is based on the Logan Platform.
That is so true. IAB is carrying the same story confirming that Modus is NOT the car for india and its here just on global trail.

Renault Modus is NOT our small car; Here on global tests
funkyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 22:47   #52
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This is terribly . Couldn't find a relevant thread hence posting here. I had clicked this Renault Vel Satis a long time ago. This is one of the most ugliest designs i have seen in a long long time! Note this is a private import & not undergoing any testing. Do not know what the owner was thinking when he got this imported.

SCOOP Renault's new small car *Modus* caught testing. EDIT : New pics on Page 6-vel.jpg
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 23:14   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This is terribly . Couldn't find a relevant thread hence posting here. I had clicked this Renault Vel Satis a long time ago. This is one of the most ugliest designs i have seen in a long long time! Note this is a private import & not undergoing any testing. Do not know what the owner was thinking when he got this imported.

Attachment 612066

There are cases where people, mostly NRIs and expats, bring in the cars that they've used abroad, into India. That's why we sometimes see unusual imports, like this one. I've spotted a Mitsubishi Colt hatch in Bangalore several times. It's quite a pointless car to import, I thought. But then it occurred to me that there are people who prefer to drive what they've been used to abroad.

There is an option for these people to bring these cars into India at relatively subsidized rates.

That said, I think it looks pretty okay. The French are known for their quirkiness and I appreciate most of their designs. The Modus would be quirky too. No harm in that, IMO.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th September 2011 at 23:16.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 10:43   #54
Team-BHP Support

I understand the Vel Stais belonged to Renault's original collaborator
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:33   #55
BHPian

Superb catch... This segment is hot hot hot!!

I am glad about the number of choices I am gonna get when I am go for my next hatchback next year March.

International market have this pitted against the Opel Agila/Suzuki Ritz.

Renault might charge a premium and so I am expecting this car to be competing with the Punto, Micra and the i20.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 16:28   #56
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Attachment 612066
Seriously this is yuck . I don't know, some Renault designs are really bad before I saw your post the car which I disliked most in terms of rear design was Renault Megane II
s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 22:24   #57
BHPian

Indianautoblog says it is not for India

They have quoted this thread also-

Quote:
Official – Renault Modus is NOT our small car; Here on global tests

An interesting scoop came from Team-BHP where member JRAJE has managed to expose what many believed is Renault India’s 3rd car for the Indian market. It seems like Renault is testing the blue mini MPV Modus that has been on sale since 2004 in Europe. The car snapped up is a Grande Modus which was a facelift given to Modus in 2008.
We did a background search to understand the specifications of the vehicle and discovered that it sits on the B-Platform like the Logan, Clio and Sandero.
Renault has been talking about the V-Platform (Versatile) hatchback for the Indian market and as there is a platform mismatch IndianAutosBlog.com called up a Renault official who told us that the Modus testing around Chennai is here as part of the “validation testing in eight countries for the next generation Modus.”
The validation tests are being conducted in a contrast of countries for unknown parameters. Renault tests its products in various conditions to see if it can cope with intense dust, heat, moisture and other natural elements.
Renault’s small car will be showcased at the Auto Expo and a few months later sent into the market. It will share engines with the Nissan Micra and occupy the B+ segment that has the Hyundai i20, Honda Jazz and Volkswagen Polo. Which one is it going to be, we don’t know. What we know is it certainly isn’t the Modus.
Following the hatchback, Renault will bring down the updated Duster followed by an affordable sedan.
[Spy shot sourced from Team-BHP.com]
Link- Renault Modus is NOT our small car; Here on global tests
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:49   #58
BHPian

So what is this planned B-platform hatchback like? Are there any spy or scoop shots available, or any other information?
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:08   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Indianautoblog says it is not for India
Could be, couldn't be. Until a car is launched, it's all speculation. Here is some more insider info (that is contrary to what IAB has posted):

- Launch will be near Diwali 2012
- Delivery will be in Jan 2013
- A higher-spec 1.4L petrol engine could also be on offer.
- Features is going to be one of the USPs.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 16:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

IF this one does make it to the Indian market, it sure would see some sales. Specially in the tall boy segment. Quirky design but still saleable.

Loved the rear seat sliding feature. IIRC, the first in the segment. Also liked the front seat folding for purse/laptop bag.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote