Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th September 2011, 22:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW India 2012 and premium small cars and perceptions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Trust me everyone, stop being mislead by any calculations this (Mini) is going to be expensive,

It WILL be priced above 1 in India.
It WILL not be below 20 and expect the countryman to go a lot higher.

And please take this as a genuine guarantee and avoid speculations on this thread.

Regards,
Yes, I agree!

The Mini would be launched in India, to draw the crowd into showrooms and then they'd promptly point direct them to the !-Series, which is based on the Mini. My guess is that BMW will aim to localize the 1 to a great extent, and that should help keep the price below 20 lakhs. The Mini, on the other hand would be a CBU, or maybe even a CKD. But it would be heavily spec'd and I'd expect it to be similar to the ones sold in the UK.

The 1 should be BMWs volume car. It is going to be, basically, a watered-down Mini.

I won't be surprised if BMW plan on designing and engineering a sedan on the 1-Series platform. Sedans sell much more than hatchbacks. Size talks here in India. And that's why we see even Audi mulling on introducing the A3 with a boot in India.

The future is bring for the auto-industry in India.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 08:56   #17
BHPian

Thanks S 350L-E 240 for the info.
It will be interesting to have 1 series in India. Apart from price point of view its right sized car for daily commuting where you can enjoy bimmer's sportiness.
What about 1 M???
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:30   #18
BHPian

1 series M would be awesome. However I doubt if it would make it here because of the homologation issue with <3000 cc engine. With that it would cost 65 - 75 lakhs that's about the price of a Cayman
316kmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Thanks S 350L-E 240 for the info.
It will be interesting to have 1 series in India. Apart from price point of view its right sized car for daily commuting where you can enjoy bimmer's sportiness.
What about 1 M???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
1 series M would be awesome. However I doubt if it would make it here because of the homologation issue with <3000 cc engine. With that it would cost 65 - 75 lakhs that's about the price of a Cayman
I doubt we will get to see the 1-M anytime soon. The car may not cost as much as a Cayman or a Z4, but it will cost around 50 lakhs, if brought in though CBU route.

BMW is looking at volumes in India. That's their priority at the moment. Currently, their volume car, the 3-Series, is due for a replacement. My guess is that BMW will introduce the new 1 along with the new 3, or maybe introduce the 1 after introducing the new 3.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt we will get to see the 1-M anytime soon. The car may not cost as much as a Cayman or a Z4, but it will cost around 50 lakhs, if brought in though CBU route.
If below 50 L, it would be more practical than Z4 and 370 Z.
Recent reports suggest BMW service support is much better comparing other Germans so it wont be a problem going for niche products from BMW range.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
If below 50 L, it would be more practical than Z4 and 370 Z.
Recent reports suggest BMW service support is much better comparing other Germans so it wont be a problem going for niche products from BMW range.
50 lakhs was just a ball park figure. It could be more, it could be less. I'm not sure about it myself.

What I'm sure about is that the 1-M is cheaper than the Cayman and the lotus Europa, that it is generally pitted against.

There are two ways of looking at it. The 1-M is a hatchback on steroids. If you look at it in this way, then it does not make too much sense.

The other way of looking at it is: The 1-M is a sports-coupe. Looking at it in this way will make more sense. Basically, the 1-M is a hot hatch that can give mainstream sports cars like the Porsche Cayman and the Nissan 370Z a run for their money.

But creating a niche is not as easy as it looks. BMW will look to introduce its more mainstream models first, before experimenting with cars like the 1-M. At this point, it does not make sense to introduce the 1-M. There would be few, or no takers for it at all. This is due to the perception of the Indian buyer.
Old 16th September 2011, 14:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

1M is not coming at all, lot of dealers are demanding it but BMW India is refusing considering its an outgoing model made in very limited numbers and investments required to support the customers will be huge, if anything now the focus is completely on expanding existing lineup, setup of Mini and ofcourse the new BMW 3 which you MIGHT see at the auto expo.

Suhaas,

The 1 sedan will perhaps be considered in 2013 and go head on with the Audi A3 but then honestly speaking cars like the 1 have so little rear space I wonder if it will even make sense. But you stand pretty correct on your judgements about the 1 and Mini,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 16:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
1M is not coming at all, lot of dealers are demanding it but BMW India is refusing considering its an outgoing model made in very limited numbers and investments required to support the customers will be huge, if anything now the focus is completely on expanding existing lineup, setup of Mini and ofcourse the new BMW 3 which you MIGHT see at the auto expo.

Suhaas,

The 1 sedan will perhaps be considered in 2013 and go head on with the Audi A3 but then honestly speaking cars like the 1 have so little rear space I wonder if it will even make sense. But you stand pretty correct on your judgements about the 1 and Mini,

Regards,
The 1-Series, in sedan guise, should have the leg-room that an entry-level C-Segment car has, and that should be adequate, if someone is looking for an entry level luxury sedan. The 1 sedan should be priced around 18-22 lakhs and someone looking to buy a Jetta or a Laura, or even lower end cars like the Corolla/Civic may toy with the idea of owning a BMW.

Obviously, cars like the Superb might take away some sales due to the 1's leg-room, but the 1 should be targeted at the younger customers who prefer driving rather than taking the back seat.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote