Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 17:54   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

We all have our interpretations and time clarfies it all, so lets see. But clearly if the do indeed have a capacity shotfall for the jazz then the price cuts in recent times are very untimely from the company point of view, what would be the point of booking excess orders at lower prices when one can't supply them. Quite odd.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 19:35   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Honda's factory in Thailand has been flooded. And here in India, MSIL is going through what could possibly result in a factory lock-out, if they don't sort the issue. What is happening to factories these days? It is either a natural calamity, or a man-made one that's affecting production.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the flooding will have an effect on the production and sales of Hondas in India. Most of what Honda-India needs for production has already been shipped I suppose. There should be good stock of parts as of now. The Brio is on the assembly-line at the moment.

And by the time the factory gets ready for production in Thailand, production should go up in India, and the next shipment should be ready in Thailand.

This is just speculation, and on the basis of my understanding of the automobile-industry.

I don't think companies would let floods affect production of their cars in other countries, unless it's a very very serious issue that requires a complete factory rebuild, or something like that. Only then will production be really hit, I suppose.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 20:20   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 750 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

This is what Honda had to say

"A spokesman for the company in Tokyo said the Japanese auto maker is also considering substituting parts normally sent from Thai plants to India with components supplied from Japan and elsewhere. He said Thai-made parts are only a portion of the 10% to 20% of parts imported to supply production in India. A Honda spokeswoman in India, meanwhile, said the company has enough stock of Thai-made components to last until the end of October?


Thai Floods Roil Supply Chains - WSJ.com


Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Honda's factory in Thailand has been flooded. And here in India, MSIL is going through what could possibly result in a factory lock-out, if they don't sort the issue. What is happening to factories these days? It is either a natural calamity, or a man-made one that's affecting production.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the flooding will have an effect on the production and sales of Hondas in India. Most of what Honda-India needs for production has already been shipped I suppose. There should be good stock of parts as of now. The Brio is on the assembly-line at the moment.

And by the time the factory gets ready for production in Thailand, production should go up in India, and the next shipment should be ready in Thailand.

This is just speculation, and on the basis of my understanding of the automobile-industry.

I don't think companies would let floods affect production of their cars in other countries, unless it's a very very serious issue that requires a complete factory rebuild, or something like that. Only then will production be really hit, I suppose.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 22:12   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 166
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Definitely not a great picture.

An aerial view of a flooded Honda car factory in Ayutthaya province October 10, 2011. Nearly 200 factories, including one run by Japanese car maker Honda Motor Co. Ltd. closed in the central Thai province of Ayutthaya because of flooding, which could threaten Bangkok this week, officials said last Sunday.

Source: MSN
Attached Images
 
amit_2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 13:29   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune / Mumbai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
What i dont understand is why does Honda want people to buy the Brio? if a brio buyer shifts to the Jazz, isnt that equally profitable(if not more) for Honda? Or is it that they have designed Brio to be priced lower and hence have higher margins?

I dont think Eon will have anything to do with Brio sales. Its like saying Brio will not sell because of Alto. Eon is likely to be priced below the Santro/Replace the santro. In my opinion, anyone looking at Brio will definitely not consider the Eon. an i10 maybe, but not the Eon for sure.
Maybe, the Jazz is not such a profit proposition to Honda after the price cut! Maybe the Brio fetches them as much profits as the old Jazz!
freak1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:32   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Parts shortage due to devastating floods in Thailand is forcing Honda to cut production by 50% in US and Canada.

"Flooding in Thailand, where Honda has parts suppliers and assembly lines, made it too difficult to forecast earnings for the full fiscal year through March 2012. A projection will be announced when it becomes available, the company said.

Honda also said it will stop all production in the U.S. and Canada for one day on Nov. 11, and all Saturday overtime work will be canceled through November. "


Other manufacturers like Nissan, Ford, GM, Hyundai & Chrysler are also affected, but their impact doesn't seem to be as devastating as Honda's.

First it is Tsunami in March and now these floods. Honda is surely going through difficult patch

Source:
News KFWB
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 17:05   #22
BHPian
 
Cheiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
... Honda factories are submerged due to the major floods going on in Thailand and its gonna get worse. ... Any updates on what is the latest import situation to India for Honda from Thailand. ... Any chance this will affect Honda India?
One way this has affected Honda SIEL is that they are now discontinuing the pre-Diwali discounts on current Honda City as the face-lift model is being delayed.
Cheiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:15   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LA <--> Bombay
Posts: 459
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiron View Post
One way this has affected Honda SIEL is that they are now discontinuing the pre-Diwali discounts on current Honda City as the face-lift model is being delayed.
Looks like they are out of parts and whats the point of discounts when there are no cars to sell

On a serious note, I think after giving discounts and now removing them who the hell is gonna buy a City now.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 06:52   #24
BHPian
 
Cheiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Floods in Thailand - Honda factories submerged - Will it affect India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Looks like they are out of parts and whats the point of discounts when there are no cars to sell

On a serious note, I think after giving discounts and now removing them who the hell is gonna buy a City now.
Oh, people will still book a City, but will expect the facelift model. I have a suspicion that there are not many left of the old model in inventory. Once the facelift model comes, whatever inventory is left will be heavily discounted - if any is left.
Cheiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Thailand Chronicles: 7 day road-trip to North Thailand royalcruiser Travelogues 10 5th August 2016 19:40
Car was half submerged in water - What to do? csentil Technical Stuff 60 23rd November 2015 19:21
Thailand Floods affect Honda India's Output. EDIT : Full production resumed GTO The Indian Car Scene 38 15th February 2012 22:00
Civic submerged at Dakshin Honda EDIT: Now resolved ajmat Indian Car Dealerships 84 12th September 2009 00:55
Maruti Zen submerged in water AKNAN Technical Stuff 9 28th August 2009 18:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks