Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 22:10   #151
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,038
Thanked: 3,278 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

no, Lohith. It was parked at Prerana A.S.S center. So just peep in, and no drive. My SA also wasnt there - so did not get inside the gaadi. Otherwise, would have at least cranked the engine to see how it was.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 09:58   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 280
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Hi Friends,

A general question. What effects does the 3000 rpm redlining have on the driveability of this 3.0L CR4 unit ? 2. Considering that the Gold GX and the Scorpio LX are comparable in price, would the handling and ride, space and FE tilt in favour of the LX ? (I admit, the GX has a lot of additional accessories & fitments, whereas the LX is a bare bones Scorpio, BUT with the Hawk engine.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 10:23   #153
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,038
Thanked: 3,278 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
What effects does the 3000 rpm redlining have on the driveability of this 3.0L CR4 unit ?
2. Considering that the Gold GX and the Scorpio LX are comparable in price, would the handling and ride, space and FE tilt in favour of the LX ? (I admit, the GX has a lot of additional accessories & fitments, whereas the LX is a bare bones Scorpio, BUT with the Hawk engine.
@Lifebuoy, a 3000 rpm redline will have no adverse affect on the driveability of the engine. Your normal operating range will be 1.5k - 2k rpm. If cruising at 100-120kmph, you may be at about 2200 rpm. You would not need to go to 3000 rpm for most of your driving.

Between Sumo Gold & Scorp LX, You will have to decide which one you want. There's image factor. Else both will find buyers when you want to sell them a few years down the line. Both engines should do well and last long.
The mHawk is arguably a better engine - more advanced, and was built for the CR technology. The CR4 is based on the tried and tested 3.0L engine. It is always good to have features in-built, or at least add-able without too much cost.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 22:20   #154
BHPian
 
koushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lifebuoy, a 3000 rpm redline will have no adverse affect on the driveability of the engine. Your normal operating range will be 1.5k - 2k rpm. If cruising at 100-120kmph, you may be at about 2200 rpm. You would not need to go to 3000 rpm for most of your driving.

Between Sumo Gold & Scorp LX, You will have to decide which one you want. There's image factor. Else both will find buyers when you want to sell them a few years down the line. Both engines should do well and last long.
The mHawk is arguably a better engine - more advanced, and was built for the CR technology. The CR4 is based on the tried and tested 3.0L engine. It is always good to hav e features in-built, or at least add-able without too much cost.
The maximum bhp of Gold is at 3000 rpm. And the rpm redline is also 3000 rpm. Condor can you pl share what does that mean? Can the engine rpm above 3000 help increase the speed of vehicle?
koushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 11:05   #155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,797
Thanked: 2,108 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

@koushik: Higher revving engines are always more fun to drive. The Sumo Gold makes sense only when you compare with the Bolero. Scorpio is a much newer and better product than both Sumo/Bolero. If your budget permits the Scorpio LX, it will be a better choice than the Sumo Gold. Scorpio LX is about 8.2 Lakhs exshowroom, so lifetax insurance, registration etc will be approx 20% more which makes it about 9.8 lakhs on the road. I thought Sumo Gold was more like 7 lakhs or something ex showroom.

Most expensive Sumo Gold GX has ex showroom price of 7.2 Lakhs.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 16:16   #156
BHPian
 
WindRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

a review - 2012 New Tata Sumo Gold Review and Road Test
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 20:22   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 280
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lifebuoy, a 3000 rpm redline will have no adverse affect on the driveability of the engine. Your normal operating range will be 1.5k - 2k rpm. If cruising at 100-120kmph, you may be at about 2200 rpm. You would not need to go to 3000 rpm for most of your driving.

Between Sumo Gold & Scorp LX, You will have to decide which one you want. There's image factor. Else both will find buyers when you want to sell them a few years down the line. Both engines should do well and last long.
The mHawk is arguably a better engine - more advanced, and was built for the CR technology. The CR4 is based on the tried and tested 3.0L engine. It is always good to have features in-built, or at least add-able without too much cost.
Hi Condor,

Since you own a Sumo, what is the outlook in your community / friends circle ? Can you shed some major problems with it ? Does the short wheel base and a 4.9 m turning radius make a BIG difference in parking, narrow lanes, etc ? (What I am hinting at is the driveability in city).

I can take on the frowns if I arrive in a SUMO to work .. that's not the issue, what is, is ... is this 20 year old box worth 8-10 years more ? Is the engine reliable (the forums say so) and what about the suspension ? I have heard friends complaining about the Safari's suspension and the expenses involved.

Can someone give a frank opinion on Mahindra After Sales Service compared to TATA ? I have three TATA cars and the After Sales Service in Delhi is just about OK .. nothing to write home about . Is mahindra the same ? If yes, does the Scorpio also have its share of problems aka the Sumo or Safari ?

Can some one advise ?

Last edited by lifebuoy : 25th April 2012 at 20:24.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 20:37   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Lifebuoy,

I think i was in your place few months back and i think i can shed some light on the question of yours.

For me it was the Bolero as the first option, but the engine, driving comfort factor led me to drop it from my list.

Since my preference was not to have a big SUV/UV and in the budget of around 9lacs i wanted to try Sumo gold.

before i TD this vehicle i never liked it but after the first TD i fell in love with it, i felt it was much easier to maneuver in the tight lanes and turning radius is very short. the steering felt very precise and getting used to it dint take much time. suspension is very nice gobbles up huge potholes effortlessly.

I td the vehicle on a winding/ghat kind of terrain and vehicle felt very planted and in control, something which i never had expected.

Anyways i ditched it only because of the look factor, but with a good AT tire and nice alloy it will look masculine, can also customise the bumper and with bull bar etc it would look mean for sure.

My comparison was with OHC and Fiat Adventure which i had owned earlier, this vehicle will certainly wont disappoint you.

I went for Safari cause i always had a soft corner for it and obviously for the look factor, trust me i still feel Sumo CR4 is more practical vehicle you may end up using it more as its much easier to maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Hi Condor,

Can someone give a frank opinion on Mahindra After Sales Service compared to TATA ? I have three TATA cars and the After Sales Service in Delhi is just about OK .. nothing to write home about . Is mahindra the same ? If yes, does the Scorpio also have its share of problems aka the Sumo or Safari ?

Can some one advise ?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 20:52   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,551
Thanked: 1,161 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I can take on the frowns if I arrive in a SUMO to work .. that's not the issue, what is, is ... is this 20 year old box worth 8-10 years more ? Is the engine reliable (the forums say so) and what about the suspension ? I have heard friends complaining about the Safari's suspension and the expenses involved.

Can someone give a frank opinion on Mahindra After Sales Service compared to TATA ? does the Scorpio also have its share of problems aka the Sumo or Safari ?
It is a Boxy design and there is no plan by Tata motors to launch a facelift / upgrade to the Sumo. Sumo is basically for the Private Cab segment used by MNCs to ferry employees working late at night. Cabbies would buy the Sumo irrespective of looks, so dont expect any facelifts in the near future. Yes the supension shows its color after 80,000 - 1 lac kms. You might need to replace them.

Taking TeamBHP as a baseline, The Experience with Mahindra A.S.S is anyday better than the Tata A.S.S. 18 lakh rupee Aria Customers have had issues with the Tata A.S.S (indian21r), so imagine what service you would get for a Sumo which costs 1/3 rd of Aria.

If we could suggest - If Money is not a constraint go in for the Scorpio base model or XUV5OO W6 model
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:02   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,120
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Dont know about the past but presently Tata does not intend to sell it only to cabs, infact if cabbies are liking this vehicle that shows this vehicle is easy to maintain and rugged.

On suspension, 80k kms and most of the cars would need a suspension overhaul and it would lot cheaper to get the suspension fixed in Sumos case.

On reliability factor, please check XUV5oo niggle thread, TATA *** may not be up to the mark but i dont think any *** is perfect, have had bad experiences with Honda ***.....

Suspension of Scorpio is pathetic, feels good on a good road once you take it on a bad patch then you would understand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It is a Boxy design and there is no plan by Tata motors to launch a facelift / upgrade to the Sumo. Sumo is basically for the Private Cab segment used by MNCs to ferry employees working late at night. Cabbies would buy the Sumo irrespective of looks, so dont expect any facelifts in the near future. Yes the supension shows its color after 80,000 - 1 lac kms. You might need to replace them.

Taking TeamBHP as a baseline, The Experience with Mahindra A.S.S is anyday better than the Tata A.S.S. 18 lakh rupee Aria Customers have had issues with the Tata A.S.S (indian21r), so imagine what service you would get for a Sumo which costs 1/3 rd of Aria.

If we could suggest - If Money is not a constraint go in for the Scorpio base model or XUV5OO W6 model
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:08   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,797
Thanked: 2,108 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I guess Mahindra's decision to put the M2DiCR engine in the Bolero may backfire against them in the long run.
@ben IT is not an issue with the engine per-se. The same M2DICR engine is in the Genio pick up where it is tuned to 75 bhp and 22 kgm Torque.

Since most of the Bolero buyers are rural segment who care more about mileage than power, they have detuned the engine to 63 bhp and 19 kgm Torque. Bolero is targeted mostly at the rural and unsophisticated crowd. Hence Mahindra can put things like digital meters, slow engines and MGR pictures in the Bolero and it will get lapped up by the rural buyers.

I have the DI Turbo in the Thar DI and it barely moves. I have no clue how people actually manage to drive the older DI Turbo Bolero on the highways.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 25th April 2012 at 21:10.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 07:26   #162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Delhi,Allahabad
Posts: 280
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the advice, help and support. I went to TD a Gold and to try and convince my family that it is a good vehicle, sans image and looks, failed MISERABLY.

What then happened was this - after a week of that visit, I brought home an ARIA, Arctic Silver Pure version yesterday.

The interiors are far far superior to the Gold anyway, I had a close look at a Scorpio VLX too. The space and comfort that the ARIA provides is stupendous, the Scorpio trails into insignificance. It has all 4 discs, ABS+EBD is standard as is dual AC, projector lights (low beam), steel wheels with DUELERs, great butterfly wipe wipers. First fill : 55.5 ltrs of Diesel ! The DiCOR is a great unit - acceleration is fantastic ! NVH levels are again , VERY GOOD, you can hardly hear the engine ! Rear wipe + wash is standard, so is the demister. Music system (tested on FM only) is FANTASTIC with the 6 speakers, but cannot handle too much bass, i feel.

Will post updates and photos too !

Sandy
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 07:39   #163
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,038
Thanked: 3,278 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
What then happened was this - after a week of that visit, I brought home an ARIA, Arctic Silver Pure version yesterday.
hi Sandy, Congrats ! Wishing you a long, happy, and trouble-free ownership of this lovely vehicle. The Aria has much better comfort levels, and far better presence than the Gold.

The Sumo will not cut it as a family vehicle in most cases, though drive-ability in city is excellent. And the short turning radius is a boon in city. But when you go out on the highway, you will not be able to attain higher speeds like you could do with the Aria.

Another point is that the Aria has been in the market for some time, and TM would have real-time feedback of any problems. Not so with the Sumo Gold. The platform & mechanicals may be clean, but the engine is new. It would help to wait a little before anyone buys the Gold.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 11:21   #164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,797
Thanked: 2,108 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The platform & mechanicals may be clean, but the engine is new.
It is not a new engine. It is a detuned version of the 3.0 Safari DICOR Block
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 11:57   #165
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,038
Thanked: 3,278 Times
Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

But there is more to the engine than just the block
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refreshed TATA Grande (SUMO badge vanished) nijan The Indian Car Scene 37 29th August 2012 15:21
Tyre upgrade for Tata Sumo Gold koushik Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 4th April 2012 19:33
Investing in Gold ETF or physical Gold - Which is better amitk26 Shifting gears 37 12th May 2011 02:35
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande MillionSwords The Indian Car Scene 217 26th October 2009 20:16
Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX drmessiah SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 20th April 2009 18:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks