Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st September 2012, 14:56   #121
Default Re: The Toyota Diesels (Etios / Liva / Altis) didn't shake the market, did they?

Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
I have heard people rave about the toyota reliability but my personal experience has been a far cry from it.
My family owns a diesel Altis( I advised strongly against it to my dad but something about the T badge appeals greatly to a lot of 40+ indian buyers!) I mean no disrespect to anyone who owns it but to me, it is exactly the kind of car you buy if you really don't care/know much about cars and when their expectations from a car doesn't stretch beyond "something reliable to drive them about in reasonable comfort and gives decent fuel efficiency". Nothing about the car feels premium except for the PRICE and ride.

Coming back to the reliability. I had to replace the brake pads at 20000 kms and after a mere 10000 kms, i was told to replace it again, along with brake discs!
Other issues i had so far;
At 14,000kms, i had reported an engine oil issue following which the car was recalled at 20,000kms and rectified only to have a complete engine malfunction(loss of power, noise etc) 2500kms later.

At 23500kms, the oil check light was back on and was rectified.

The car has 34000kms on the odo now and i am hoping i have no more surprises in store for me.

In the last one year we have had this car, my dad almost sold it twice. But then decided to keep it for another year or so.
I would like to add that brake pads and discs are some how Toyota Corolla's Achilles heel. I have a 2005 Corolla currently at 88K and in my 7.5 yrs of ownership I've had 3 brake pads changes and front and rear brake discs too over this period. I didn't bother much after the 1st change but than I started inquiring and found these to be consistent with many other corollas. Whats even more disappointing to note is that despit having noted this problem through their petrol version Toyota has simply ignored it with their Diesel offering for the corolla. And mind you brakes pads and dics are not exactly cheap.
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 19:45   #122
Default Re: The Toyota Diesels (Etios / Liva / Altis) didn't shake the market, did they?

Someone I know also owns a petrol Altis. He too has experienced the Achilles heel at about 16k on the odo. During his visit to the service center, he happened to notice that brake pads of Altis are far more expensive than even the T-fort.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this a money-making scheme of the dealers or is Toyota to blame here. Even after so many years of the best selling Corolla, can't believe they are yet to find a more permanent solution to this.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:27   #123

Altis diesel is not hot due to puny engine size. Buyers in this segment look for 2 litres atleast. One of my uncle here who is a doctor has recently purchased an Altis Diesel. Many of his friends say that their Ventos and Vernas are better than this as they come with larger 1.6 engines. My uncle is ok with this statement. Other buyers of this segment may not want to hear this comment after plonking upwards of 15 lakhs.

In case of Etios and Liva, it has more to do with overall poor quality perception that goes with these cars. Once Toyota rectifies these, sales of Etios siblings will rise. Toyota has said that for next two years they are going to work on strengthening the Etios brand.

The 1.4 D-4D of Toyota is the engine from Toyota Europe lineup (others being a 2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-4D). By late 2013/early 2014, Toyota will be abandoning their own diesels in favour of 1.6 and 2.0 litre units from BMW. Anyway the 1.4 unit is imported in India, so if the BMW units get launched in India we may be able to see a marked improvement in Toyota's diesels uptake.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote