Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your *ONE* deal maker?
Engine 181 34.09%
Ride quality 29 5.46%
Handling 59 11.11%
Looks 29 5.46%
Space 14 2.64%
Equipment 14 2.64%
Build Quality 38 7.16%
Interiors 8 1.51%
Safety 30 5.65%
Reliability 110 20.72%
Other (Please specify) 19 3.58%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 03:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What is your *ONE* deal maker?

Hi,

Its Handling + a free revving petrol engine for me, if NO PRACTICALITY is considered.

If practicality or daily economy is considered, right now, considering the fuel prices, I'd choose a 'turbo kick' diesel hatch. Say, the Swift.

But for the "ONE" its gotta be handling. No compromise.

For Eg: I have driven the Optra and the Octavia over very long distances, and for me the Skoda clicks well, even though the Optra manages to put more than a smile on your face with its neck breaking torque.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 06:47   #32
BHPian

Six months of the year, the roads in Kerala are bad and I have had severe back problem with my earlier cars. But with my present car, I am comfortable and not much back issues ( touch wood).so ride quality is important for me.
Thanks

Last edited by Rameshdude : 27th October 2011 at 06:49. Reason: Was incomplete
Old 27th October 2011, 08:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

My requirements :-

1. Space, with special emphasis on driver's seat and space (am bulky)
2. Engine, with emphasis on fuel efficiency, cheap spares(budget-conscious)
3. Availability of spares and mechanics (need not necessarily be authorized service stations)
4. Above and over, cost of the car.

Speed for me is of no practical use as I seldom travel beyond 100 kmph. More likely, it is the low-end torque which is more important for me. I do like handling to be a little taut. I feel uncomfortable with plush riding, I do not mind a bit harsh ride.

Equipment - wise, being budget-conscious, I am satisfied with good brakes and AC (this one is not mandatory, though desirable ; former is an absolute necessity).

Last edited by simplyself : 27th October 2011 at 09:02.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:16   #34
BHPian

Well - in my opinion the reliability and equipment provided is the "deal maker". One interesting thing is that I rejected the Maruti Ritz on nothing more than Maruti not providing a day/night rear view mirror in the cabin - might sound rather silly but IMHO a manufacturer who wants to save Rs.500 on a decent RVM for a top end variant (i.e. 6 lakhs and odd) car is not worth pursuing for a purchase. My logic was the Swift which is practically in the same price bracket is provided with one - but why not the Ritz??? Or is it Maruti's opinion that people who drive the Ritz are not blinded at night by headlamps from cars behind him?
Old 27th October 2011, 09:18   #35
BHPian

I voted for Engine. We are BHPians , nothing even comes close as a deciding factor while buying a car than the engine.
Period!
Old 27th October 2011, 09:24   #36
BHPian

For me reliability is the ONE deal maker, I haven't had a single break down with my pre-owned baleno, so was my bro's old zen

Poor reliability means frequent visits to the service station, lost time equals to opportunity lost on earning money.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Good one! Thanks for starting the thread.

I have voted for a less popular choice – Safety.

Initially when I bought my car in 2003, my priorities were ride and handling, followed by safety. At that point I felt the Ford Ikon 1.6 was the best bet (in the budget I was looking for).

In the current scenario, if I am in the market for a new car, I will look for the one which offers maximum safety in the given price range/segment. And for me, overall build quality and handling are also parameters which contribute to a safe car.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th October 2011 at 09:28. Reason: re-aligned
Old 27th October 2011, 09:55   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess its the engine for me too. If I ever start a search for a new car, it always begins with the cars (of that segment) with the best engine. Other factors come into play later. If a car has a weak engine or is not rated highly for its refinement and driveability, then that car is given a skip altogether. No matter how well it scores on all other points.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:58   #39

Hi GTO, I would like to have an option "All of the above" in the poll may be I'm asking for too much. Let us know few cars which ticks most of those boxes with an affordable price range? Apologies if this is off topic!
Old 27th October 2011, 09:59   #40
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted under Others because I look at overall package and for me the price must justify the package. Though there is subjectivity in VFM, with in the said price point, I look at all the features. Hence it is very difficult to go only by one feature. My heart is for the engine/gear box combo but my head is the for the overall package.

Cheers

KPS
Old 27th October 2011, 10:00   #41
BHPian

I did'nt know that handling was such an importante aspect of a car until we bought the Figo.
I only test drove it in the city fr a few Kms before buying it. The first thing that stuck was around a corner, I just accelerated as well as turned the steering, and the car simply threw me off. I was surprised to see how much the steering had kicked in. And then the other factors also majorly contributed to buying the car.

But now I realize how much we love its steering. Be it City, or high speed roads, or the ghats, or high speed corners. A long drive is so much more fun and comfortable for the driver with this one.

So its handling for me
Old 27th October 2011, 10:07   #42
BHPian

I voted for handling as being the one deal breaker for me .
Would have voted for engine but I dont feel confident to take a car to the max unless and until it handles well irrespective of the fact weather it has an amazing engine or not .
Best example Hyundai Verna. This car has a Godzilla of an engine but is let down by crappy handling ( no offenses to anyone ) which makes it pointless to have such an amazing engine , unless all you do are straight highway runs .
Old 27th October 2011, 10:17   #43
BHPian

Without any doubt engine is first. I dropped the Beat diesel and picked up a Ritz DDIS for the sole reason of having a better engine.

Handling and Build Quality comes next ofcourse.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Its tough to vote on this one. Reliability without safety and engine is meaning less.
Engine power without even reasonable handling wont be good enough.

If the car is the only car in family, Reliability wins hands down.
Two cars in family, one with reliability and the other one with engine ( like Fiesta 1.6, Vento diesel, etc. )
But a separate car only for me, then its Engine for sure, any given day. I can live with a below par handling like the current Honda City, but engine has to be lively and fun.

Will vote for Engine = heart of a car.
Old 27th October 2011, 10:32   #45
Mik
BHPian

I wish i could vote for two options or more.
For me, engine - specifically the low end torque is most important.

Other factors in descending order of decision making influence are

1. Handling
2. Looks
3. Reliability
4. Safety

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks