Team-BHP - SCOOP: Tata Aria with Automatic Transmission
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SCOOP: Tata Aria with Automatic Transmission (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/110155-scoop-tata-aria-automatic-transmission.html)

Source:Carwale

Sources confirm that Tata has been working on the automatic version of the Aria. The automatic version of the Aria has been undergoing tests in India as well as abroad.Tata could utilise some of its technology and expertise from JLR to develop their first automatic transmission. The car had undergone certain tests in the UK for about 3000-4000kms.
The automatic transmission will add another option for the Aria buyers. Since, the current Safari, the new upcoming Safari Merlin and the Grande have the same 2.2-litre engine DiCOR engine that powers the Aria, Tata could use these boxes on them as well.

Do you think an AT in 4*2 option would boost their sales? Considering the price to be around 15.9L?

I think this could be the next big thing for TATA & would boost their sales as there is no Auto gearbox (SUV or MUV) except the scorpio and endeavour in this range.

:thumbs up oh yes way to go i would say. Autobox is the need of the day. Hope they bring in a trusted and robust autobox . This would definitely boost their sales.

I hope Tata doesn't force the autobox customers to buy only the top-end.
And I am curious to see what sells more, a 4X2 automatic or a 4X4 manual, if they are going to cost somewhat the same. I guess we do not have a similar scenario in any product here.

Sure, customers in this category would like an auto box. If offered in 4x2, may become a decent volumes model.

Good news, but I guess we should not expect a launch soon. Usually AT versions are about Rs.1L more expensive than corresponding MT versions. So, this would make the Aria even more expensive. Hopefully, when Tata launches the AT, they will do so in all trim levels.

Yes if launched at all trim levels then it will certainly help both Tata and the customers. Customers today have no option for an AT box from scorpio to Captiva/Endy. But if they launch it only it the top variant which they most certainly will IMHO, it would not have any effect as it will go more closer to the big SUV category.

Excellent - I would expect 4X2 high end and 4X4 high end to be in AT. Lets be realistic and not expect TATA do some magic with its offering and pricing just because its TATA.

Prem.

Aria is just about well-priced with the 4x2 variant.

Won't the AT make it overpriced again?

I wonder how many people are not buying the Aria just because it doesn't have an AT; don't think the AT will "boost" sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohanjf (Post 2559370)
I hope Tata doesn't force the autobox customers to buy only the top-end.

I think that is exactly what will happen.

TATA will take some time to come up with an AT. Meanwhile the competition could be from the already existing XUV5oo, which is rumoured with an AT and Twin Turbo. Mahindra has some experience in AT (4/5 years with Scorpio AT), whereas TATA has to start from scratch. If TATA's AT version is priced on par with XUV's Twin turbo version, The results are already known.

I would really Love to see TATA's AT available in all models from Base model to Top-End. I know this is a dream but this is a way to woo the public back and not offer AT only on the Top models. Offering AT on base variants will be a segment first and a sure shot sales hit, but whether TATA has that large heart is a wait and watch game.

2 things need to be done to make this work. The first is the pricing, since Tata got that so horribly wrong first time out. And Tata also needs to make it available across variants and not just on the top end. If they can do that, it'll offer consumers a great option since there's only the Fluence, Civic and Scorpio at a roughly similar price point. You can throw in the Cruze and Laura into the mix as well, but they're slightly pricier, so I'd be inclined towards overlooking them as direct competitors.

Good luck Tata, I'm rooting for you guys. Hope against hope and all that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y@SH (Post 2559354)
Source:Carwale

Sources confirm that Tata has been working on the automatic version of the Aria. The automatic version of the Aria has been undergoing tests in India as well as abroad.Tata could utilise some of its technology and expertise from JLR to develop their first automatic transmission. The car had undergone certain tests in the UK for about 3000-4000kms.
The automatic transmission will add another option for the Aria buyers. Since, the current Safari, the new upcoming Safari Merlin and the Grande have the same 2.2-litre engine DiCOR engine that powers the Aria, Tata could use these boxes on them as well.

Do you think an AT in 4*2 option would boost their sales? Considering the price to be around 15.9L?

I think this could be the next big thing for TATA & would boost their sales as there is no Auto gearbox (SUV or MUV) except the scorpio and endeavour in this range.

Looks like the Indian Auto Major is silently but very aggressively flexing its R&D muscle. Its been a while you have heard about an Automatic Transmission in a Made in India car. I think they could potentially target top end variants, although am not an A.T. fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 2559471)
TATA will take some time to come up with an AT. Meanwhile the competition could be from the already existing XUV5oo, which is rumoured with an AT and Twin Turbo. Mahindra has some experience in AT (4/5 years with Scorpio AT), whereas TATA has to start from scratch.

Tata could get some help on this from Land Rover who got much more experience than Mahindra. Tata already sells Automatic transmission buses and Trucks (Prima). Also i assume the auto box will be sourced form some one like ZF, wont be made in house. I do not think past experience will make much of a difference though

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamveevee (Post 2559613)
Tata could get some help on this from Land Rover who got much more experience than Mahindra. Tata already sells Automatic transmission buses and Trucks (Prima). Also i assume the auto box will be sourced form some one like ZF, wont be made in house. I do not think past experience will make much of a difference though

Yes Tata has got the JLR tag, but whether it will use a premium brand technology like LR to fit in an economy category is a question (aria price compared to LR price is economy).

I am sure Tata will not lift the JLR auto box and plonk it in Aria. Even if they do, they will charge a premium for that, which itself will over-price the already overpriced Aria.

Tata is in right direction.clap: Introduce A/T on Aria's all variants at existing price tag and silently push the manual price 1.5L lower asap.

Tata must develop two A/T boxes 250NM & 450 NM range suiting all of its full range of passenger cars/uvs.

I pray that this doesn't take a looong gestation period before hitting the streets.
AT while maintaining the prices same would bring back ARIA in the equation which it lost earlier due to price point and recently due to XUV for its brillinat product + price combo.