Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st July 2011, 13:33   #316
BANNED

Default Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

That sounds really Cool I am going to try this on my NE over the weekend. I am all excited to see as in how much carbon is my NE going to throw out.
GreenDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 11:23   #317
BHPian

Post Re: The Premier 118 NE thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Just wanted to know how many of you have tried pouring water in carburetor.
Our 118 NE had suffered an issue of hydrolocking due to a leak developed in the cylinder head about 3 years back. Coolant from the radiator had filled the engine and the inlet manifold!! The head and the gasket had to be replaced. Luckily there was no damage as shown in this article. Hydrolock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Because of our experience, we will never dare to try out something that was shown in the video!!

Karthik
can you check if the people who have tried it whether they actually open the engine partially before and after the experiment to see the difference?

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 16:31   #318
Senior - BHPian

Not that I know of. We have tried on several cars with excellent results. Yesterday, I tried with my S1. Its running damn smooth now
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 01:51   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Not that I know of. We have tried on several cars with excellent results. Yesterday, I tried with my S1. Its running damn smooth now
Okay. Was just curious whether the carbon coming out of the exhaust was from the engine or the exhaust itself. Hence wanted to check if someone tried to partially open the engine before and after the experiment.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 18:39   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Okay. Was just curious whether the carbon coming out of the exhaust was from the engine or the exhaust itself. Hence wanted to check if someone tried to partially open the engine before and after the experiment.
This is obviously the carbon coming out from the exhaust. I don't think the deposits from the engine & manifold can come off so easily. Engine de-carbonizing machines use a special chemical for this.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 21:39   #321
BHPian

Adding water will definitely remove the carbon from the combustion chamber.From both the piston crown and the head.last time i blew my cars head gasket we took off the head and found water in one of the 3 bores of my 800. Only the piston in that bore was squeaky clean, the other two were covered in a thick layer of carbon.

But let me warn you. NEVER pour water into your engine. water being incompressible for the most part will bend your con rods and damage your crankshaft. Padmini cranks will bend far more easily since they have 3 bearings only.

the particular bore was clean because of the extreme pressure in the combustion chamber that disintegrates the carbon and also bends engine components out of shape.

the carbon in the engine is doing you no harm. Infact it should increase performance since it reduces combustion chamber size at max compression increasing the compression ratio the same way a shaved head would. So guys please stop trying not so smart ways of decarbonizing your engine, just change your oil on time and the carbon thats in the engine (except for the combustion chamber) will get cleaned by the oil itself.

Addendum: besides con rods and cranks, expect piston rings to be amoung the casualities. PLEASE DONT TRY THIS
i am sure experts like behram sir will back me up on this. Any gains experienced are psychological and the side effects will be visible soon.
please do not destroy the lovely padminis engine like this.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 29th July 2011 at 21:47.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:40   #322
BHPian

Default Re: 118 NE Propeller Shaft and Joints Details

Quote:
Ilango : I am attaching pictures of all the pages from the section on Propeller Shaft and Joints in the 118 NE Service Manual.
Hi Rahul,
I am in need of the part numbers of the right and left stabilizer arms. Could you please find some time to look into your service manual and let me know. Thanks in advance.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 04:22   #323
BHPian

Post 118 NE Rear Suspension Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Rahul,
I am in need of the part numbers of the right and left stabilizer arms. Could you please find some time to look into your service manual and let me know. Thanks in advance.
-Ilango
Ilango : The service manual does not list any part numbers. I am however attaching pictures of the pages from the section on the rear suspension.

Rahul Waghmare.

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2720.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2721.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2722.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2723.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2724.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2725.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2726.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2727.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2728.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2729.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2730.jpg

Name:  IMG_2731.JPG
Views: 1478
Size:  400.3 KB

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2732.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2733.jpg

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2734.jpg
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:03   #324
BHPian

Default Re: 118 NE Rear Suspension Details

Quote:
Ilango : The service manual does not list any part numbers. I am however attaching pictures of the pages from the section on the rear suspension.

Rahul Waghmare.
Thanks a lot dude...
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 13:07   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to know how many of you have tried pouring water in carburater. I stumbled upon a video on youtube where a guy does this and supposedly decarbonize parts of the engine the water gets into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
That sounds really Cool. I am going to try this on my NE over the weekend. I am all excited to see as in how much carbon is my NE going to throw out.
Guys, instead of risking the engine with water, it is a safe bet to try something that is documented in reputed books. I was reading a book that we have, the Automobile Driver's Manual. It is a great book that explains about the various systems in an automobile. I am attaching picture of a particular paragraph that gives a sort of quick fix. But to do a thorough decarbonizing job, it is always better to open the engine. By the way, if you happen to find this book, just pick it up. It is a very good read for amateurs like me.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2752.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2753.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-img_2754.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 13:50   #326
Senior - BHPian

Intersting idea! I dont mind trying them on my NE and S1
Old 5th August 2011, 14:23   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Intersting idea! I dont mind trying them on my NE and S1
Dude,
Try out such experiments only if you see such symptoms of black smoke in the exhaust.

On the other hand, as Rahul mentioned that day, the carbon particles get chipped off from the piston crown and the engine head due to the extreme presure building inside the combustion chamber. It makes me think why not spray water into the combustion chamber while you want a boost. Just kidding dude. When the car is running fine, better to not to do some cruelty by making it a Guinea pig.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 14:26   #328
Senior - BHPian

Okay. Illango I will let this one go by. I will try it only when I see such symptoms. I hope I never see such symproms thought
Old 6th August 2011, 09:27   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Okay. Illango I will let this one go by.

Hi Karthik,
There is nothing to get scared about this, and there are engines where water is injected into the chamber. Cower's 6 stroke Diesel engine is one such an example.
• The Six-Stroke Engine • Damn Interesting
If the engine is designed to handle such high pressure, then there is no harm.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 11:33   #330
BHPian

I am not sure if this picture is posted on T-BHP but thought of sharing with you.
ENJOY
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-fiat_124sedan_frontview.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote