Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:18   #91
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,384 Times
Default

Dear Karthik - Nassan A12 engine with Mikuni carburettor will develop around 49 BHP as against 52 BHP it develops with Hitachi carburettor. Fuel efficiency will also be lower. Hitachi is the best. Why did you change it?

Best regards,

behramDhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:52   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - Nassan A12 engine with Mikuni carburettor will develop around 49 BHP as against 52 BHP it develops with Hitachi carburettor. Fuel efficiency will also be lower. Hitachi is the best. Why did you change it?

Best regards,

behramDhabhar
Non availability of spares of Hitachi carb suggested me to go for the Mikuni setup. In Bangalore, literally no spares including the packing is available. Since Mikuni is on many other cars, spares are very easily available. Moreover, after chaning to Mikuni, I do not see any change in power or pickup. Since both the engines are pretty old, I believe there is no noticeable change. May be at a very high RPM power difference can be found. It is exactly how it was before. In fact, both the cars start at a single crank now. On Hitachi, many a times, I had to slightly pump the accelerator while cranking.

I have not checked the Fuel Efficieny yet. But for sure on my 92 NE, I feel its improved as I visit the petrol pump less often than before. I havn't noticed anything on my 91 NE yet. I will keep an eye on the FE.

I will do a mileage test with a bottle some time and post the details here.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 20:10   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Behram sir,

Any reason why the mileage would drop when a Mikuni is used on an older 118 NE. I dont seem to notice any change in mileage, may be because of the headers and free flow exhaust that I have. Moreover, I felt its good to have since I can make use of the fuel return.

I have anyways kept the original Hitachi and its manifold safely at home. In fact, I have 4 hitachi carbs, 2 manifolds that suit hitachi and couple of Mikunis stocked up.

The main issue for me was spares and also to an extent most mechanics werent able to tune it properly. Either performance was bad or FE was bad. I ended up buying 2-3 hitachis in last couple of years due to lack of spares. The idling thing (solonoid I guess) is difficult to find for Hitachi and once I had to shell out 800 bucks for it. I am sure that many parts are available in Mumbai much more easily. In Bangalore, its a bit different as many dont keep any NE items compared to Fiats.

Last edited by funkykar : 28th April 2010 at 20:11.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 20:29   #94
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

Karthik guru

Need an A/C kit for the 118NE. Need a real good one.

Let me know, when and where shall i come to pick it up.

Thanks in advance.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 20:43   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Karthik guru

Need an A/C kit for the 118NE. Need a real good one.

Let me know, when and where shall i come to pick it up.

Thanks in advance.
Is this for Joy? Have been seeing many many NE's with AC's being broken down. I myself picked up a AC unit for one of my NE's. I am not too satisfied as it consumes too much juice and feels like I am towing a car. I hadly use it. I infact picked a decent one and replaced/reconditioned some of its parts like the gas bottle, bearings and stuff. I think my NE's engine is little too old for the AC. Its clocked 90k kms. Moreover, I dont prefer to use the AC nor blower. For some reason, it makes me a little sick. Even at home, I dont even use a fan even when summer is at its peak. I only put the AC on my NE to modernize it and that was the only missing bit.

My other NE (maroon) too has a AC unit. It is not working. May be it needs gas filling to be done. I never bothered to check it.

See if you want to pick one of the units from my cars itself?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:03   #96
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

We used to have a lovely NE for a lot of the years and was later used by me when I used to go for tuitions (when back at home). It was a special car not only for us but also as an NE as it was actually one of the first NE's to be made (from the first batch). Was specially ordered by my dads friend who was the sole dealer for NE's in the North-East for himself. It came stock from the factory with a Nissan engine and lots of original spares (everything written in Japanese) in the boot, which never had to be used. Some of the special features that the car came with apart from the totally Japanese mechanicals:

1) National Air con
2) Factory tinted (dark brown) glass all around including the front windscreen
3) Automatic radio antena controlled from the head unit.

We then picked it up from the owner and had it till about 2004. It used to run like a dream. I have never come across gear shift like that ever. Was a pleasure to drive. Had to give her up due to parking problems at home. That was one car my dad never wanted to part with. It was somehow special to him and had his favourite no. on it (AMU 9000). Was a grey car. Will post photos of the car when I go home to Assam sometime this year.

The only problem with the car was constant repainting and body work (every 2 years). Apart from that it was very comfortable.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 29th April 2010 at 12:04.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:06   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
We used to have a lovely NE for a lot of the years and was later used by me when I used to go for tuitions (when back at home). It was a special car not only for us but also as an NE as it was actually one of the first NE's to be made (from the first batch). Was specially ordered by my dads friend who was the sole dealer for NE's in the North-East for himself. It came stock from the factory with a Nissan engine and lots of original spares (everything written in Japanese) in the boot, which never had to be used. Some of the special features that the car came with apart from the totally Japanese mechanicals:

1) National Air con
2) Factory tinted (dark brown) glass all around including the front windscreen
3) Automatic radio antena controlled from the head unit.

We then picked it up from the owner and had it till about 2004. It used to run like a dream. I have never come across gear shift like that ever. Was a pleasure to drive. Had to give her up due to parking problems at home. That was one car my dad never wanted to part with. It was somehow special to him and had his favourite no. on it (AMU 9000). Was a grey car. Will post photos of the car when I go home to Assam sometime this year.

The only problem with the car was constant repainting and body work (every 2 years). Apart from that it was very comfortable.
Nice experience! When did you sell the car? Do you have any old pictures of the car?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:55   #98
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Nice experience! When did you sell the car? Do you have any old pictures of the car?
Yup have some. Will have to dig them out though so will need some time. Will try to put up original and when I had it.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:46   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Yup have some. Will have to dig them out though so will need some time. Will try to put up original and when I had it.
Appreciate any pictures you have. By any chance, do you have the excess spares with you? I know I am being too very optimistic
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:07   #100
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Appreciate any pictures you have. By any chance, do you have the excess spares with you? I know I am being too very optimistic
Sorry mate.. Gave it with the car to the next owner. Never know when it will come in use for him. He likes collecting slightly older cars so I am sure it is very well looked after as well and sparingly used so I wont be suprised if those part are still with him. Unfortunately, I lost his contact info.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 15:09   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Sorry mate.. Gave it with the car to the next owner. Never know when it will come in use for him. He likes collecting slightly older cars so I am sure it is very well looked after as well and sparingly used so I wont be suprised if those part are still with him. Unfortunately, I lost his contact info.
No problem dude

Are you considering buying another 118 NE ?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:23   #102
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Here are the pics.

Pic 1: As is from the factory.
Pic 2: Changed HL to Maruti ones as the stock ones were not powerful enough. And Foglamps added. All this was required due to heavy rain and fog in the winters in Assam. Also the dark winshied is clearly visible here.
Pic 3: Car in the background. To showcase the spoiler. I think it looked good on the NE
Attached Thumbnails
The Premier 118 NE thread-pic-3.jpg  

The Premier 118 NE thread-pic-2.jpg  

Attached Images
 
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:34   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Wow! Your NE looks great. The spoiler too looks great. Wish you had a closer pic of your NE with the spoiler.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:52   #104
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Wow! Your NE looks great. The spoiler too looks great. Wish you had a closer pic of your NE with the spoiler.
Thanks. Yup she was a beauty! And the aircon it came with (National) was the best I have experienced till date!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:06   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,287
Thanked: 1,211 Times
Default

Took my NE to Premier Land in Bangalore. It is being run by Mr. Govindan. During the Premier days, he had an authorized service station for Premier on Bannerghatta road. Now he runs a garage from his house in Jayanagar. He is too choosy on which car he selects for service/repair/restoration. He always prefers his good old customers who are regular.

Myself, Arun and Sujith had a very long chat with him today. He was sharing a lot of his experiences with Premier and their cars. He did agree to take my car in next week.

By the way, my NE is not in a perfect condition. Its just in a very good running condition. I have lot of tiny niggles with it. Suspension is not all that good. Gear box has a noticeable humming sound. He will check the car thourougly for any mechanical problems and fix it
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'95 Premier 118 NE Petrol - The Journey Begins! ObsessedByFIAT Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 6th June 2014 12:02
Premier 118 NE - Grey Goose - Restored Pics on Page 2 hillram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 37 22nd May 2014 00:40
My restoration project 118 NE svpatra Modifications & Accessories 47 30th April 2012 15:18
Used Maruti800, premier padmini , premier 118ne ? sakharamcool Hatchbacks 8 27th May 2008 11:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks