Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th March 2012, 08:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Confirmed : Maruti to set up manufacturing facility in Gujarat

More details emerge from Maruti as per this article in Economic times.

The biggest advantages I see with having a car manufacturing facility close to a major port are the savings in terms of logistics cost. I believe Maruti Suzuki India limited exports a significant amount of the cars manufactured and having a plant close to the port makes sense.

It is commendable to note that Gujarat at one point just had Chevrolet, AMW and a few others. In the last couple of years it managed to pull in Tata, Ford and now Maruti Suzuki. Two of them make up for more than 50% of Indian car sales.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 08:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

The biggest advantages I see with having a car manufacturing facility close to a major port are the savings in terms of logistics cost. I believe Maruti Suzuki India limited exports a significant amount of the cars manufactured and having a plant close to the port makes sense.

It is commendable to note that Gujarat at one point just had Chevrolet, AMW and a few others. In the last couple of years it managed to pull in Tata, Ford and now Maruti Suzuki. Two of them make up for more than 50% of Indian car sales.
That is a big news from Maruti Suzuki.

A few advantages that I see of moving car manufacturing to the new plant, in addition to an industry friendly government, is that the gujarat location Maruti chose is virtually equidistant from the north and south of the country. That will save shipping time and cost. The gujart ports are closer too, which will enable Suzuki export at a cost effective rate. Choosing a comparatively backward area like behcharaji, still baffles me, though! Maybe it is a cheaper land and not having to compete with the likes of Ford, Peugeot, Tata etc for labour/manpower in Sanand that may have prompted them. And Maruti is an institution in itself, so it may not need an vendor ecosystem of Sanand/Ahmedabad.
SunilM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 12:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
That is a big news from Maruti Suzuki.

A few advantages that I see of moving car manufacturing to the new plant, in addition to an industry friendly government, is that the gujarat location Maruti chose is virtually equidistant from the north and south of the country. That will save shipping time and cost. The gujart ports are closer too, which will enable Suzuki export at a cost effective rate. Choosing a comparatively backward area like behcharaji, still baffles me, though! Maybe it is a cheaper land and not having to compete with the likes of Ford, Peugeot, Tata etc for labour/manpower in Sanand that may have prompted them. And Maruti is an institution in itself, so it may not need an vendor ecosystem of Sanand/Ahmedabad.
Actually this is not true. Maruti is not moving car manufacturing completely out of Gurgaon to GJ. This was information misrepresented by ET.

Refer this thread for more details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-gurgaon.html (ET & Maruti disagree on making cars at Gurgaon)
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 17:21   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

So finally there is some progress,

Maruti has aquired 494 acres of land for Rs 133 crore near Hansalpur village in north Gujarat.

Sources:
Business Line : Industry & Economy / Government & Policy : Gujarat may allot 511 acres in Hansalpur for Maruti's plant

Maruti gets 494 acres land for Rs 133 crore at Hansalpur - www.daily.bhaskar.com

GIDC joins scramble for land near Hansalpur - India - DNA
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 09:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually this is not true. Maruti is not moving car manufacturing completely out of Gurgaon to GJ. This was information misrepresented by ET.
Of course, you do not shout from housetops that you are shipping out, until you actually do. This is a warning shot - shape up or we ship out.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki India to invest Rs 4,000 crore to set up new plant in Gujarat

Quote:
MS India Limited on Saturday signed an agreement with Gujarat government to set up a manufacturing facility to manufacture 2.5 lakh cars per annum at Hansalpur in north Gujarat, 100 km from Ahmedabad. Initially the company will invest Rs 4,000 crore in the facility, its seventh in India and first outside Haryana.
Quote:
The plant coming up over 700 acres will be commissioned in 2015-16 and create 2,000 direct jobs, said Shinzo Nakanishi, MD and CEO of Maruti Suzuki

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/13743800.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd June 2012 at 11:05.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
...I'm sure Maruti will want to dismantle their existing plant if possible and move totally out of Haryana after their never-ending labour unrest. Good for Gujarat!
Attaboy Gujarat. Does this mean some discounts for those in Mumbai/MH? I've noted a big difference in MS on-road prices between Delhi and Mumbai, as compared to MH manufactured ones like say a Skoda/VW.

If one can get Modi to also have a say in Petroleum Ministry, I'm sure this board will celebrate the most, but then who wouldn't like to go a step further and say Prime instead of just Petroleum?
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 00:15   #23
BHPian

I almost thought the original news was a teaser but now I'm relieved. Hats off to Modi. Also heard Hero Moto Corp going to Gujarat!
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 10:23   #24
BHPian

Such incidents are really bad news for Hardware industry .This is more than sufficient for maruti to move from Manesar to Gujarat
1 killed in fresh labour strife at Maruti plant - The Times of India
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 16:23   #25
BHPian

Looking at the latest incidents of labor unrest in Manesar, in which, now it seems that even Japanese workers were injured, it will only be a matter of time till Maruti relocates. I think that till the larger issues of labor laws are addressed my the government, such un-rests will continue and one states loss will be another states gain.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 09:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The Manesar events will accelerate the movements towards Western India. Labour violence is becoming a way of life. If the GM HR is burnt alive what more do we want. They must catch the culprits and execute them publicly (I know this may be illegal). Also, @neel385 I do not appreciate the phrase 'even Japanese workers'.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 09:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki is going to commence the establishment operations of its new production plant in Mandal taluka near Ahmedabad. On a recent trip to Japan, Modi met the chairman of Suzuki Motor Corp, Mr Osamu Suzuki, and confirmed that the company will make an investment of 4000 crore and will start the establishment of the plant within next three months.

So after all some good news for MSIL.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 18:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Motor Corp Chairman Osamu Suzuki visits Maruti Suzuki's Gujarat plant site.

Quote:
Japan's Suzuki Motor Corp (SMC) Chairman Osamu Suzuki today visited the site here where its subsidiary Maruti Suzuki India plans to set up a new manufacturing unit at an investment of Rs 4,000 crore.
Quote:
MSI is planning to set up a new plant that will have a capacity to roll out 2.5 lakh cars annually by 2015-16, besides setting up a skill development centre.
Suzuki Motor Corp Chairman Osamu Suzuki visits Maruti Suzuki's Gujarat plant site - The Economic Times
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 23:54   #29
BHPian

I wonder how a single state can overtake a few or most other states combined.
No Im not jealous, but I simply fear that this state could run out of resources too fast.

How could a state like Gujrat manage so much power? Can they produce all that? Do they have so much coal? Or, are they burning fuel that comes via their port? Or do they have atomic/ hydro electric resources? Or are they buying power from other states?

Where do they get all the fresh water? How many more people can this small state house? How much more migration can it handle?

I just want to compare Karnataka to Gujrat which are almost the same in terms of population density, and size.
Karnataka has real major rivers, which I doubt if Gujrat has. Gujrat is more than 1/3 kutch + desert, while Karnataka has 1/3 of western ghats which is extremely rich in natural resources.

So, if Gujrat can go ahead at such rapid pace, I fear if they can sustain for a long time to come.
The problems that Karnataka could face when bringing these investments are,
- All is centered around bangalore, and Magalore port is a little unreachable by road or rail because of the ghats.
- Land around Bangalore is very costly, and most of it protected for agriculture to keep some of the commodity prices in the metros low
- Western ghats are protected by environmentalists, NGOs and now even the UNESCO wants it protected.

So, is Gujrat handling all such issues? or do they don't have any?
Are the farmers agreeing to give away their previous little land?
Or, is the govt too strong to snatch them away from the poor farmers?
Or, are the farmers willingly throwing away their barren lands for more lucrative work?

Who is caring for the environment? Cities in Gujrat are among the highest in air pollution levels, what about potable water? Are we paying a hefty cost in the name of 'Munafa'?
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 00:35   #30
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good move and hats off to Modi for attracting another important investor to the state. This will also help Maruti from a long-term perspective by having multiple factories in distributed locations.
However, I'm not sure if this will provide (or if that's their intent) Maruti with an option in an emergency to shift production of some cars from a factory in one location to a factory in another location since each factory's manufacturing lines are usually setup with the expertise and focus to build a few cars. So in a situation like the current one at Manesar, will they be able to shift production of the Swift/Dzire cars to another factory ?
Also, given that setting up a new facility is going to take some time (1-2 years?) it may not help in the short term where the Swift/Dzire production is hit and booking backlog is piling up.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote