Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th February 2014, 10:49   #496
BHPian

Default Re: Govt plans to impose additional levies on diesel cars

If Government implements report , it would make companies think twice in bringing new diesel technology or any new technology to market and such a drastic step would lead to eventually car being out reach of masses without an efficient public transport to replace it.

Instead of improving infrastructure first, this knee jerk reaction will do more harm than good in long run , even some manufacturers might shut shop similar to situation in Australia is facing now as all manufacturers are shutting shop leading to cars being imported in the country

P.S- 30% cess is too much in my opinion for a diesel car,instead diesel fuel should be priced over petrol which would dissuade users from buying diesel.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 11th February 2014 at 10:54. Reason: to correct errors and add few points
FrozeninTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:34   #497
Senior - BHPian

Keep treating the symptoms.
  • No mention of doing away with subsidy.
  • No recommendation to drop state taxes on CNG to make it more attractive an option?
  • What will stop people from registering their cars elsewhere and using it in the NCR? I already see loads of CH/HR/UP/RJ/HP/UK registered cars on the roads everyday (from parts which are not included in the NCR). No recommendation on stopping this influx at the border points.
  • Diesel is used much more for power backup (offices/schools/markets/malls/cell towers) than it is used by cars (there was a thread also here with the exact split up) - no recommendation on how to check that.

Looks like a half baked idea at best.
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 11:50   #498
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Green bench panel reccommends 30% cess on diesel cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Green bench panel reccommends 30% cess on diesel cars, submits reports and recommendation to Supreme Court.

Another major quote from the news article;

The other two directly linked recommendations;
* Union of India be directed to impose additional 30% environment compensation charge on private diesel cars. Ministry of petroleum and natural gas be directed to invest revenue from this source to produce clean diesel (10 ppm sulphur) to enable nation-wide introduction of Euro V and Euro VI norms and scale up public transport

* Delhi government be directed to impose higher taxes on cars and to drastically reduce taxes on buses and public transport vehicles. Other concerned governments Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan in the NCR may also be directed to take similar measures

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/30180391.cms
I find it quite amusing.
The car companies are willing to do Euro V and Euro IV for all vehicles?
But why don't they?
Because govt cannot sell low sulfur diesel.
So how does govt react?
They will make cars costly. So the cars will keep polluting, the govt gets more money, and somehow say the problem is solved.

If govt is serious, it needs to
1. Ban oil companies from supplying high sulfur diesel
2. Introduce stiff penalties for adulteration. How can a EU V engine help if its running on kerosene?
3. Stop shifting the blame of its own incompetence to the consumers. Countries which wanted to fix pollution started selling low sulfur diesel and made EU V mandatory.
4. Start supplying electricity. When there is no power, what does it expect mobile phone towers to run on? Air?

All over NCR industries pollute the Yamuna. NGT even had to go and fine UP govt for allowing construction and industry on wetlands. The pollution control board is a joke in most states.

Dear govt, first fix your own house. Everything will be fixed automatically.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:02   #499
Senior - BHPian

Another panel report that will be followed by another panel report sometime later. Just to keep some people employed, let the public be fooled that the govt. is serious. Just google on Kirit Parikh reports on subsidies and pricing. There are so many.

The Union Budget 2013-14 had targeted reduction in fuel subsidies. However that target will not be met.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:20   #500
BHPian

Are the guys in the top office of the country even thinking rationally? This just reeks of "lets get more money from the bakras" plan that seems to be firmly rooted.
Why should we not blame the government? I believe as a taxpayer and a legal citizen of this country, i would like to know how well our government has been utilizing income. Also, if they were so very caring about our "junta" and looking at the connection between smoke and deaths, why hasn't ABS and airbags been mandated and BS4 emission norms been enforced strictly? They could have reduced fatalities from accidents by mandating the above along with strict license procedures.
Day by day i am losing respect for this government and i feel i can only say one thing on how the country is being by them now, with a saying in tamil of course: Korangu kaila poo malai (A garland in the hands of an ape/monkey).

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 11th February 2014 at 12:22.
Arch-Angel is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:31   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Are the guys in the top office of the country even thinking rationally? This just reeks of "lets get more money from the bakras" plan that seems to be firmly rooted.
Why should we not blame the government? I believe as a taxpayer and a legal citizen of this country, i would like to know how well our government has been utilizing income. Also, if they were so very caring about our "junta" and looking at the connection between smoke and deaths, why hasn't ABS and airbags been mandated and BS4 emission norms been enforced strictly? They could have reduced fatalities from accidents by mandating the above along with strict license procedures.
Day by day i am losing respect for this government and i feel i can only say one thing on how the country is being by them now, with a saying in tamil of course: Korangu kaila poo malai (A garland in the hands of an ape/monkey).
This is not a government report, this is not a government panel. Essentially this is supreme court led activism. Here is the link to an article from TOI which clearly mentions the green bench comprising Justices A K Patnaik, S S Nijjar and F M I Kalifulla having converted a report of Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority into an application and having issued notices to the Centre and NCR governments (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/30180391.cms)
Of course I agree with that a stronger government wouldn't have let judicial activism reach such unprecedented levels.
carZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 12:51   #502
BHPian

Talking Re: Govt plans to impose additional levies on diesel cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
This is not a government report, this is not a government panel. Essentially this is supreme court led activism. Here is the link to an article from TOI which clearly mentions the green bench comprising Justices A K Patnaik, S S Nijjar and F M I Kalifulla having converted a report of Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority into an application and having issued notices to the Centre and NCR governments (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/30180391.cms)
Of course I agree with that a stronger government wouldn't have let judicial activism reach such unprecedented levels.
Thanks for the information. But i guess we all know where this could lead to, right? Believe me if this gets through, we would be seeing chappals flying in every direction. .
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 11:23   #503
BHPian

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/33876166.cms

Quote:
The government plans to impose an additional 30% environment compensation charge on diesel vehicles and is considering tightening the emission norms by mandating fuels compliant with Euro-IV norms by next year and Euro-V norms by 2016 while it is targeting Euro-VI norms by 2021.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 18:49   #504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
I welcome this. It should be implemented ASAP, alongwith other measures to crackdown on the many other dysfunctionalities in the market for automobiles. As the owner of petrol cars, and a lover of two-wheelers, I am sick of subsidising diesel private vehicles.

Of course: I am doubtful much will be done. The alliance between car companies and the car-buying priveleged part of the public is much too powerful. In india, even the privileged are entitled to 'populist' subsidies of all sorts, aren't they? Even when they are NOT honest tax-payers.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 19:47   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Loss on diesel sales climbs to Rs 6.80 a litre.
Quote:
The loss on sale of diesel has climbed to Rs 6.80 even as state-owned oil companies for the second time skipped the monthly price increase on government diktat.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...litre/34479240
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:43   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Make it open market - add the Rs.6.80 or whatever immediately or by an accelerated rate of increase of Rs.1.50 to 2.00 pm. Onwe good thing, more of the non-PSU pumps with better fuel and service will open.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:53   #507
BHPian

I believe this is good. Deregularize the diesel prices and provide diesel at subsidized rates to only vehicles which are used for ferrying essential commodities. Easier said than done but govt should be ready to take a chance or else the public is always looted by way of overtaxing for other products.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:12   #508
BHPian

@TorqueyTechie: how would you define essential commodities? Are these food, water,clothing and shelter? Do you know that sand sells at a rate of 2 Lakhs per truckload in Bangalore. Does that require subsidized rates? Or tomatoes, eggs, drinking water, any kind of clothing?
Even PDS is not given free, but sold. Probably the only items which qualify are election freebies.
I think that any commercial activity should not be subsidized. The transport companies write off their fuel expenses for taxes anyway.
wildsdi5530 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:57   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
... Do you know that sand sells at a rate of 2 Lakhs per truckload in Bangalore. ...
Who told you sand sells @2L/Truckload ?

AFAIK it sells for ~23K.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:04   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@TorqueyTechie: how would you define essential commodities? Are these food, water,clothing and shelter? Do you know that sand sells at a rate of 2 Lakhs per truckload in Bangalore. Does that require subsidized rates? Or tomatoes, eggs, drinking water, any kind of clothing?
Even PDS is not given free, but sold. Probably the only items which qualify are election freebies.
I think that any commercial activity should not be subsidized. The transport companies write off their fuel expenses for taxes anyway.
Essential commodities would be as listed in the URL below. It basically is food products like foodstuffs, medicines, iron , steel and few others. So yes sand does not come under essential commodoties for now.

PDS is not given free but sold at a very nominal rate and you still have rice being sold at 1/2 per kg for BPL people. Its another matter altogether that they are not being followed properly.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote