Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 13:05   #151
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 845
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

I am yet to check the manual. It's in my car. For some reason isn't it normal to get your car serviced every 6 months?
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 13:51   #152
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am yet to check the manual. It's in my car. For some reason isn't it normal to get your car serviced every 6 months?
Yeah, as per the manual, its every 6 months/5000 kms, whichever comes earlier. But oddly, the service interval for the 2nd & 3rd service is set at 6 months/10,000 kms, whichever comes earlier.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 16:46   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

What should I expect before I head in for the 30000 km service on our IRDE1 i10 1.1 Magna? The owner's manual recommend replacing spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, fuel filter and engine oil. The engine oil has done only 4000 kms in one year. Hope I have to replace it still?

Apart, the muffler panels got rusted inside and was corrected earlier by welding. After refitting, the muffler is hitting somewhere on the under-body. This has to be corrected. Steering rattle is another major issue. It is too bad on bad roads.

It is giving good FE and the AC is too much of a chiller. I do not want anyone to disturb those.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:14   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What should I expect before I head in for the 30000 km service on our IRDE1 i10 1.1 Magna? The owner's manual recommend replacing spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, fuel filter and engine oil. The engine oil has done only 4000 kms in one year. Hope I have to replace it still?
I've been quoted an approximate of INR 8000 as estimate for 30,000 km paid service by Hyundai dealership! This includes parts change as per manual including spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil, fuel filter, air filter(if needed), brake overhaul, manual transmission fluid, tyre rotation alignment and balancing, wash and general checking. Though they pushed me for de-carbonizing, throttle body cleaning and engine oil flush, I denied all. They told that 8k is their usual estimate for the 30k service.

It is mentioned in the IRDE user's manual that transmission fluid need to be replaced at 150,000 kms but since I didn't carry my user manual they showed me a new i10's manual in which it is way below 45,000 and I had to agree! Do I really have to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 kms?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:39   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I've been quoted an approximate of INR 8000 as estimate for 30,000 km paid service by Hyundai dealership! This includes parts change as per manual including spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil, fuel filter, air filter(if needed), brake overhaul, manual transmission fluid, tyre rotation alignment and balancing, wash and general checking. Though they pushed me for de-carbonizing, throttle body cleaning and engine oil flush, I denied all. They told that 8k is their usual estimate for the 30k service.

It is mentioned in the IRDE user's manual that transmission fluid need to be replaced at 150,000 kms but since I didn't carry my user manual they showed me a new i10's manual in which it is way below 45,000 and I had to agree! Do I really have to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 kms?

I feel the estimate is fair enough for parts+labour

->spark plugs - required
->coolant -flush and replace
->brake fluid - flush and bleed
->engine oil-change since its one year,
->fuel filter-What is the recommended change interval?
->air filter(if needed)- chaneg it if older than 10K kms else clean it
->brake overhaul-brake over haul usually means flushing the brake lines and putting new pads and caliper servicing.Recommended
->manual transmission fluid-Not required if your gear shifts are fine.Can stretch till next service
->tyre rotation alignment and balancing-Get it done outside at some reputed shop for much cheaper
-> wash - feels good to see a clean car
-> general checking- Nothing but periodic service

And get the throttle body cleaned by actually removing it and cleaning it thoroughly.Not just spraying some fluid and running the engine! A clean throttle body will make the car much more lively and fuel efficient
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:44   #156
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

And get the throttle body cleaned by actually removing it and cleaning it thoroughly.Not just spraying some fluid and running the engine! A clean throttle body will make the car much more lively and fuel efficient
Hyundai pushes several customers for engine de-carbonizing or whatever, it's a scam. Don't do it. They will promise you the Moon, but charge you the Earth. And the benefits are honestly negligible. Yes, you may find the engine running smooth initially, but it's back to square one in a matter of a week.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:06   #157
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I've been quoted an approximate of INR 8000 as estimate for 30,000 km paid service by Hyundai dealership! This includes parts change as per manual including spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, engine oil, fuel filter, air filter(if needed), brake overhaul, manual transmission fluid, tyre rotation alignment and balancing, wash and general checking. Though they pushed me for de-carbonizing, throttle body cleaning and engine oil flush, I denied all. They told that 8k is their usual estimate for the 30k service.

It is mentioned in the IRDE user's manual that transmission fluid need to be replaced at 150,000 kms but since I didn't carry my user manual they showed me a new i10's manual in which it is way below 45,000 and I had to agree! Do I really have to change the transmission fluid at 30,000 kms?
The estimate seems to be fair, considering the number of jobs and parts.

For transmission oil, time factor also needs to be considered apart from the kms covered. Hyundai Service Advisor suggested me to replace transmission oil after 3 years, even if the kms covered were less than 30k. And its not that costly, probably less than Rs 500. I would suggest that you get it changed.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:17   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hyundai pushes several customers for engine de-carbonizing or whatever, it's a scam. Don't do it. They will promise you the Moon, but charge you the Earth. And the benefits are honestly negligible. Yes, you may find the engine running smooth initially, but it's back to square one in a matter of a week.

Suhas, read carefully, i meant Throttle Body cleaning, not Engine Decarb.And throttle body cleaning does make a whole lot of difference for a long time!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:24   #159
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Suhas, read carefully, i meant Throttle Body cleaning, not Engine Decarb.And throttle body cleaning does make a whole lot of difference for a long time!
Of course throttle-body cleaning is an entirely different thing. But under the pretext of giving you a smoother drive, they will tell you that the engine decarb exercise would help.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:43   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
A clean throttle body will make the car much more lively and fuel efficient
Thanks. It's already peppy and much fuel efficient. I get ~16 kmpl in city and 19-20-21 kmpl on the highway. i10 is way different from the Baleno at 30k kms when she had slightest of misfiring. The i10 does not feel aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hyundai pushes several customers for engine de-carbonizing or whatever, it's a scam. Don't do it. They will promise you the Moon, but charge you the Earth.
Denied those paraphernalia outright. Thanks to our threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
For transmission oil, time factor also needs to be considered apart from the kms covered. Hyundai Service Advisor suggested me to replace transmission oil after 3 years, even if the kms covered were less than 30k. And its not that costly, probably less than Rs 500. I would suggest that you get it changed.
Thanks. Yes it's 4 year old and costs close to Rs 500.

So the only mistake I've done is getting the wheel rotation alignment and balancing done from the service center. Taking cue from threads on the forum, I had plan to get it done from outside, but I fell for their offer of warranty on W/A W/B!

Apart, I have steering rattling issue which a test drive with the adviser suggests the urethane pad to be the culprit. Also the EPS motor is making mild hissing noise while turning the steering which I told to ignore. The motor costs close to 6k. The muffler, which was refitted earlier by another service center, is hitting some part of the under-body. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on how far these issues will be solved. My experience with Hyundai service is so similar to Maruti. They promise to do everything but most issues will remain. This is so different from my experience with Chevrolet; they pretend not to hear noises, and once they do, they correct it.

Have asked them not to touch the A/C, wiper and engine tuning. Probably will post the details of service tomorrow when I get the car.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:06   #161
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 845
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Guys I will be going for the 1st paid service tomorrow. I have checked the manual and these are the things that have to be replaced(as per manual) :--

1) Engine oil & filter
2) Spark Plug
3) Brake fluid
4) Engine coolant
5) Manual transaxle fluid (if required)
6) Fuel filter cartridge


Please give me your inputs.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:02   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Apart, I have steering rattling issue which a test drive with the adviser suggests the urethane pad to be the culprit.

The muffler, which was refitted earlier by another service center, is hitting some part of the under-body.
Got another 8k estimate for steering and muffler rattling!

item - part ; labor :-

steering campaign(?) - 110 ; 450 (changing polythene pad and yoke)
rod bush - 240 ; 500
insulator, suspension - 3100 ; 1000
bumper stopper bush - 400 ; 800
some other bush - 100 ; 450
heater coil padding - 0 ; 300
muffler leak welding - 0 ; 1000
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:48   #163
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 845
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Just returned from the 1st paid service. I must say Spring Hyundai service is excellent. They were very prompt and the SA explained to me the requirement of almost all the items mentioned in the bill.

He himself came up with steering rattling issue. Last december I had given them the car to fix the rattling noise. Since then the sound was there but it was very faint. It was pretty easy to ignore the noise. Today he himself said that he will get the new i20 damper and yoke and get rid of the noise. All under warranty ofcourse. He said he will call me since the part will take another 15 days to come. He even mentioned I can watch them change it as it will give me a better idea of what has gone wrong.


Finally I had to pay 3344 for the service and overall it was a good experience.

Last edited by Pancham : 23rd November 2012 at 17:51.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:25   #164
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 845
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

I forgot to mention the above quote of Rs. 3344 for the 1st paid service includes Rs. 550 for silencer quoting.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:18   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 444
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

@pancham - Can you please elaborate on what tasks were done and what was the explanation given? Also what's silencer coating? How does it help?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be? v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 45 13th March 2017 15:32
Road Tax rates Hiked. Vehicles get expensive in Haryana *UPDATE* Apr'13 Hiked again .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 28 28th July 2014 13:32
Hyundai increases labour rates again sidindica The Indian Car Scene 26 16th August 2010 08:58
Maintaining a car is now more expensive as labour rates increased by > 10 % at A.S.C. sidindica The Indian Car Scene 11 13th May 2009 15:48
Is FIAT Charging Exhorbitant Rates for Spares? And Tata for service/labour charges? gemithomas The Indian Car Scene 34 18th November 2008 12:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks