Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st October 2013, 12:02   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Does anybody have any idea about the regular paid service for an i10 Magna Kappa2. This is my first paid service and V3 - Hyundai, Chennai has quoted a bill of 6000 Rs! Isn't that way too much?
6k is very high for routine service. It should be in the range of 3.5-4k.

Have you already approved the quotation ? If not, ask them to remove unnecessary items like oil additive, engine flush, decarbonisation etc.

Wheel rotation and balancing/alignments needs to be done at 10k kms. If you have not covered this distance and are not facing any alignment issue, don't approve for this.

They also might have included jobs like AC duct cleaning, interior foam wash, exterior wax polish etc. Refuse all of these.

Refer to you car manual to confirm what jobs need to be performed at the routine intervals. Refuse everything else suggested by the service advisor.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 12:11   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Indus, one of the prominent Maruti dealer in Kerala has launched a service program called ISP (Indus Service Program). The maintenance package is valid for a period of 3 years from the day of enrolling into the package. The package is valid till a car is 7 years old.

What I don't like is the fact that insurance renewal is mandatory from Indus. Any thoughts guys?
I know it's an old post, still ! I would NOT bother about Indus atleast in Kottayam and they always managed to do a low profile job! AVG is the one I would anyday recommend in Kottayam for service.

Though the charges are high, I have returned a happy customer save for one instance or so, which again ended on a positive note after I raised a complaint.

Indus @ Kanjirappally didn't have stock of couple of things when I went there, never returned the car on promised time and I lost a wheel cap + mud flap (left rear tyre) when the car was returned (which I noticed after a day and hence could NOT do anything)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I feel so pissed off with the ASC, Popular Hyundai, Kottayam. Even after taking the car back for an interim service, 3 months after the 30k service, the highway FE stays at 15-16 kmpl range...

...Highly unrecommended from my personal experience. Customer dealings might be good; they are so prompt in conveying things and taking feedback, but charging a bomb and not fixing things properly are not going to get you anywhere, Hyundai.
I don't think either popular (Maruti) has any positive recommendations in Kerala - am I wrong?

Quote:
...I was the one who took initiative to service my in-laws' car and I really don't know whether they will entrust me this job another time...
You just trotted a very sensitive territory!! Caution advised!

Quote:
Does the rack bush for a Swift cost 27k for the whole assembly? My friend's car, which was just a week past the warranty period, has rattling issues and the ASC has told that the bush does not come alone, the whole set has to be changed!
Steering rack?? Was this done and what was the cost involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
....Wheel rotation and balancing/alignments needs to be done at 10k kms. If you have not covered this distance and are not facing any alignment issue, don't approve for this...
If the car runs ONLY in good city roads, probably a wheel alignment at 10K is fine. But personally I get my car's alignment done at every 5K kms (my shop recommends a 4K interval). Assuming that the tyres last for an average 30-40K kms, 10K is a big too interval for any benefits.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st October 2013 at 12:15. Reason: Adding the below post
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 12:38   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I don't think either popular (Maruti) has any positive recommendations in Kerala - am I wrong?
But, Popular is like Maruti in the general public's mind. Bigger and more number of service centers with more reception counters is all what some (may be many) people look at. That place is literally swarmed with vehicles with no time for SAs to provide specific care for out of the box issues.

OT: Popular Hyundai is setting up two new shops at Adichira, side by side.

Quote:
You just trotted a very sensitive territory!! Caution advised!
Couldn't but . I guess it is from your own experience you are providing this advice

Quote:
Steering rack?? Was this done and what was the cost involved?
Last time I met him, he decided to live with the rattle. Will post further updates if I get to know if he has done anything for the rattle.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 12:41   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the car runs ONLY in good city roads, probably a wheel alignment at 10K is fine. But personally I get my car's alignment done at every 5K kms (my shop recommends a 4K interval). Assuming that the tyres last for an average 30-40K kms, 10K is a big too interval for any benefits.
10k is the Hyundai recommended interval for wheel rotation for i10.

But I agree with your point that it depends on the usage conditions.

I personally get it done at 7-8k kms (my usage is on a combination of good and bad city roads).

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2013, 14:01   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Wheel rotation and balancing/alignments needs to be done at 10k kms. If you have not covered this distance and are not facing any alignment issue, don't approve for this.

They also might have included jobs like AC duct cleaning, interior foam wash, exterior wax polish etc. Refuse all of these.

Refer to you car manual to confirm what jobs need to be performed at the routine intervals. Refuse everything else suggested by the service advisor.
My car has run near 13000 KMs and the interior roads that I drive are pretty bad. Yes, the SA mentioned AC duct cleaning and interior cleaning. Seems like I have to be more careful from next time onwards. I feel like getting robbed that too on salary day!
eyesice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 17:36   #201
HKP
BHPian

Went for paid service (i20 ASTA Petrol 17000KM) last week at trident and shocked to see Rs. 10555/- bill.

Apart from routine service they sold interior cleaning, de-carbonizing etc. My bad. Did not pay much attention.

Additionally, they also called and told the break pads will need to be changed and will cost 2K. Told them will do next time, frankly I did not notice any issues with break !!

So yearly almost 20K to maintain a 2 year old i20 after that too without any issues. Probably, this is going to be my last Hyundai car!!

\\hkp
HKP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 18:48   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
Went for paid service (i20 ASTA Petrol 17000KM) last week at trident and shocked to see Rs. 10555/- bill.

Apart from routine service they sold interior cleaning, de-carbonizing etc. My bad. Did not pay much attention.

Additionally, they also called and told the break pads will need to be changed and will cost 2K. Told them will do next time, frankly I did not notice any issues with break !!

So yearly almost 20K to maintain a 2 year old i20 after that too without any issues. Probably, this is going to be my last Hyundai car!!

\\hkp

May Aging Esteem costs half that much to maintain yearly!
I don't visit the A.S.S, most of the jobs are done at local garages and I am always with the car whatever repair job they are doing.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 19:07   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats huge for a petrol car, that too at 17K. Did they use synthetic oil?

Regarding brake pads even some MASS says that it has to be changed every 20K Kms, but I didn't allow and it went till 43K Kms. So, as long as you are not harsh on your brakes, it should go for at least 35-40K. Any recommendation mentioned in your manual for brake pad change?
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 20:53   #204
BHPian

Quote:

\\hkp
That's way too high for a petrol car without any issues. I recently got my 3 yr old 18k driven i20 serviced with a bill of around 3.5k. It would have reduced further, if not for the engine decarb. Will make it a point to instruct the SA to avoid this next time.
Me-hul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 20:13   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Does anybody have any idea about the regular paid service for an i10 Magna Kappa2. This is my first paid service and V3 - Hyundai, Chennai has quoted a bill of 6000 Rs! Isn't that way too much?
I just serviced my i10 Kappa2 Magna 1.2 on 23 December, on completion of its three years.The odo reading was a little over 47,000 kms. The complete service cost (including washing) came to Rs 2,608. I only told them NOT to do any tyre balancing/rotation/alignment and no unnecessary add-ons (fuel injector cleaning, additives, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
6k is way too mauch. This is certainly due to unnecessory add-ons.
Totally agree. Simply instruct the service advisor to AVOID all unnecessary add-ons (fuel injector cleaning, additives, etc.) and you can expect the service cost to drop sharply.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 21:12   #206
BHPian

I recently got my 3year old i20 with 20k km on the odo serviced and the bill came about to about 5500Rs. A lot of unnecessary additives and other things were mentioned on the bill.

What is bare minimum that needs to be done in a service apart from engine oil change?
midazolam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 19:23   #207
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
What is bare minimum that needs to be done in a service apart from engine oil change?
1) Check breaking oil
2) Check power steering fluids
3) Light inspection (they actually just push reverse gear and make a round of car visually inspecting all the lights and call it light inspection )
4) Check wind shield fluids
5) Change engine oil 5k if mineral, 10k if fully synthetic (you may use oil flush), fully synthetic oil recommended. Mobil1 is the best, shell ultra helix is also great.
6) Change engine oil filter every 10k kms (Original recommended by GTO)
7) Check break pads (every 20k recommended) and replace if they are warn out
8) Check spark plug gaps in petrol cars or may be replace them
9) Check timing belts / chains
10) Check alternator belt
11) Check coolant levels and replace as per the manufacture recommendations
12) Check battery voltage and water level (most garages don't do it)
13) Diesel wash the car body + engine bay wash (inside bonnet)
14) Clean or replace air filter
15) Wheel alignment + Balancing+rotation every 5k-7k
16) Air condition service (may be once a year)
17) CNG cars - check for any gas leak with soapy water at joints
18) Check wipers
19) grease springs (e.g. bonnet) door lock joints etc.,
20) change fuel filter as per manufacturer recommendation (Major service)
21) I also recommend getting fuel tank cleaned every few years, though some may argue its not required (Major service)
22) Clean interiors with pressurized air or get interior detailing done from professionals

forgive me if i forgot something.

You can do most of above things yourself in 5 minutes and take a car to local mechanic for oil change + oil filter change + fluids top up + wash + alignment balancing etc. and can learn thing or two about your car.

IMO: Decarbonization, additives, under body coating, exhaust system cleaning are scam. I may be wrong, correct me!

Last edited by Max : 25th December 2013 at 19:34.
Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 19:45   #208
BHPian

A quick tip for getting rid of rattles/noises /loose plastics. Take your car to a body shop and ask them to fix the rattles. They'll do it in 10 minutes and much lower cost.

They fix dashboards /bumpers / plastics all day on newly painted /accident repaired cars. And they're the best people with the skills /tools to get the job done.
drsingh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 20:22   #209
Senior - BHPian

my i10 1.2 kappa first 10000kms/12 months service ( ran only 3800kms) came to Rs.1085 . Only oil and oil filter was changed.

For my Elantra's suspension work, check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3323150
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:46   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post

Check your car's owner's manual. There will be a couple of pages in there where the maintenance schedule is printed. From there you can easily deduce what needs to be done at what "kilometre" service.

Maruti's and Hyundai's are relatively easy cars to work on, parts are available in the open market and the vehicles are less complicated than the Germans.
So for regular scheduled servicing - unless something drastically goes wrong, and provided your vehicle is out of the warranty period - it makes sense to find a good neighbourhood mechanic to get things done. That way it will be cheaper, you can keep an eye on your vehicle and know exactly what is being done.

Remember : All Authorised service stations have a workshop revenue target. They will blindly replace things and bill you for it even if that part does not need changing - and cook up some story for you. And apart from very few authorised service centres - the diagnostic ability of these guys are pretty poor - unless its a straightforward issue!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote