Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th November 2011, 16:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Now I am really scared about my first paid service for my i20 coming up. How much should I expect? Would doing it in a HMP be better than dealers?
To my knowledge HMP infact charge more than other dealers in Chennai. I have been servicing with HMP, Chennai for all the time.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:14   #32
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

These are the bills I've received after servicing my Santro:

Jan 2011: Rs. 4517

July 2011: Rs. 5130

Sep 2011 (repairs): Rs. 6100.

The Hondas at home, the '06 Civic and the '10 Jazz are not as expensive to maintain. Together!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
These are the bills I've received after servicing my Santro:

Jan 2011: Rs. 4517

July 2011: Rs. 5130

Sep 2011 (repairs): Rs. 6100.

The Hondas at home, the '06 Civic and the '10 Jazz are not as expensive to maintain. Together!
And the worst part is these rates are for there cheapest car on sale if we take out the newly launched Eon from the equation. I think most buyers are not aware of this fact.

My Altis's 10k service will cost me Rs 1500.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:29   #34
BHPian

I am surprised with all the service charges quoted here. Maybe i am next in line to get looted But, I guess the price hike is fair enough. Like some people already pointed out, you can't expect everything else to be priced the same when you are getting a pay hike right ?

I have an i20 Crdi. Brought in November 2010. I did not pay a single penny for my first service at 1k km. My second service at 10k (6 months) costed me 5.2k (This is including a 1.2k exterior and interior wash). Take this out and it would have costed me around 4k including balancing/alignment/oil change. I think 4k is pretty decent for a 10k km service.

I have my next service due on 29th of this month. Will keep you posted on the cost.
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My Altis's 10k service will cost me Rs 1500.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 2nd 'free' service (at 10k kms) for the Altis would cost you around 2.5-3k. And then, around 20k kms you will most probably need brake pad replacement (nearly 15k for all 4).

Interestingly, Altis' consumables are much more expensive than the previous gen Corolla. :(

Last edited by Puneet.S : 7th November 2011 at 16:36.
Puneet.S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:38   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 2nd 'free' service (at 10k kms) for the Altis would cost you around 2.5-3k. And then, around 20k kms you will most probably need brake pad replacement (nearly 15k for all 4).

Interestingly, Altis' consumables are much more expensive than previous gen Corolla.
It will cost me 1500. I took the smiles package. Otherwise it would have costed me 2k which also is a very reasonable amount given that its a 15L car.
As far as break pads is concerned well it must be depending on how you drive the car right? Anyways the 15k for the break pads is almost in line with the Cruze which is also around the same amount. But I do agree that its way more then what the previous generation corolla costed.

How much does Hyundai charge for the break pads for the Verna for the sake of comparison?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It will cost me 1500. I took the smiles package. Otherwise it would have costed me 2k which also is a very reasonable amount given that its a 15L car.
As far as break pads is concerned well it must be depending on how you drive the car right? Anyways the 15k for the break pads is almost in line with the Cruze which is also around the same amount. But I do agree that its way more then what the previous generation corolla costed.

How much does Hyundai charge for the break pads for the Verna for the sake of comparison?
Altis brake pads are known to wear out sooner than normal. Toyota certainly is learning a trick or two from their Korean counterpart.

I have no idea about Verna as I never owned one.
Puneet.S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:49   #38
BHPian

I cannot agree more with the topic at discussion here. My dad's 7 year old Santro has never been to any independent garages. We always service it at HASS.

Last service cost us around 4500 (regular paid services + wheel balancing +wheel alignment) which I feel is high. This is just the regular paid service. Imagine the cost with any minor work/repairs. Should set you back nothing less than 7-8k.

And, average bill on my i20 (just had the first 2 "FREE" services) has been 1000/-. Next visit to the showroom is due in Jan. And I am sure, it will not be pleasing.

And for a minor dent work on my rear door the quote I got was 21,000/-. I got a quote of 2000/- from Sejal Motors listed in our TBHP directory for the same work. That, more or less, sums it all.

Last edited by flyingkolors : 7th November 2011 at 16:52.
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:13   #39
BHPian

my i20 clocked close to 15K so far. Did two paid services, I don't remember both of the cost me more than 3K. I have been using V3 Hyundai OMR. So far they are good, I give my piece of mind to the post service Review calls if they don't do it right or mess up.

I remember seeing the updated cost posted on the bulletin board, thought it was announced long back. I was thinking 3K itself is very high and planning to use some good reputed service center instead of Hyundai, looks like mine is relatively less.

Last edited by carbhp : 7th November 2011 at 17:15.
carbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Maintaining a Hyundai can now make you bankrupt. The labour rates are shockingly expensive in Delhi.
Thanks Sid for starting this quite an interesting thread. With the rising inflation all companies are bound to increase their servicing/ labour charges sooner or later. This is the simplest way to make some fast money in this era of declining automobile sales. You first sell the cars at competitive (read lower than competition price) so that many vehicles are sold (increase in market share) & then recover these loses by increasing the servicing costs (which go un-noticed for most of the customers) at least those who are not members of TBHP .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Simple solution to a complex problem, find a good service guy (not the company owned service center) and get it done from him. I don't take my car to Maruti and have not been using MASS for last 2 years. For smaller repairs and service i go to the garage near my house and get it done. Anything major i go to Carnation (Although that will in most probability change the next time i have to do any repairs).
Perfect solution, even I have been following this principle. Service your car from authorized SC only till the time you are offered free service or your car in under warranty. The moment you don't qualify either of the criteria look out for a friendly garage to fix the small niggles or regular oil change servicing.

Recently I got the 1,00,000 (One lakh) km servicing done for my car from an independent garage in October. This was a major service which included timing belt, AC belt, alternator belt change, all filters change, engine oil, gear box oil, coolant change (scheduled). Besides this I had my own list of tasks. The total servicing charges, hold your breath Rs 6384.00. (This includes the Rs 100/- tip given to the mechanic who serviced my car)

If anyone is further interested in knowing the break-up of part & labour charges, they can visit my thread, message # 74 --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-beyond-5.html

I am not harping about my car's low maintenance cost (there are many more whose costs are much lower than mine). The point I want to make here is that service your car exactly as per your car manual (nothing extra, no fancy items like engine decarb, engine flushing, this treatment & that treatment) which are not mentioned in your manual. If the Service Advisor suggests you to get particular things done, ask him to show the circular from the company recommending that. Also as far as possible try to be with your car when it is being serviced, this way you can avoid any chance of service centre fleecing you & you know exactly what is being done on your car.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 19:10   #41
rbp
BHPian

Default Re: Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hyundai service charges has increased considerably in the last one year.

AFAIK, cleaning/washing cost is included in Paid service cost.

Insane.
Can you share the break up of 5k ?
Sorry, I dont have the exact breakup and also the figure quoted by me of 5K is incorrect, I had included the wheel alignment and balancing. I have the summary of the service cost in my ownership thread here.
The oil was provided by me and I skipped wheel alignment, which was a must.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2424498 (My Korean beauty, Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta with sunroof)

3,694 Rs [Air Filter, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter, Labour, misc]

This figure does not include the wheel alignment and balancing, which comes to 1K plus. If you include that it comes up close to 5K.

I still feel 3700 for a paid service without wheel balancing and alignment is very costly, as I said my bro pays a figure of 2.5 to 3 K for a 25 lakh fortuner's service, by the way my bro also has a santro and he keeps joking the puny santro costs him more to maintain then the behemoth Forutuner.

Last edited by rbp : 7th November 2011 at 19:12.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 20:34   #42
BANNED

Normally people buy Santro, never get it serviced at Hass after free service.
I know many of them and are happy with getting it serviced out side.
They even are not bothered how their car is driving but they can't afford much better car so they still go GA-GA for their car that it is still running and most of time converted to CNG.
believe me, I am surrounded with these friends and they are happy lot.
I even can't drive their car for a kilometer but they think that I am trying to demean them. such is the situation in India and they even don't know if there is any Team-bhp exist.
So hats off to every car owners in their respective choice.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 21:23   #43
BHPian

A very good thread.
This is definitely the first/second reason why Eon will never be a competitor to the Alto. The other being Eon substantially (15+%) more than the Alto.

Yep, from my experience I do agree that Hyundai service is definitely more expensive than Toyota/Honda. One reason is their limited service network (compared to maruti) and larger sales (compared to others than Maruti). This results in the service centers getting overloaded and the demand-supply equation makes them the king.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 21:47   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I'm surprised to see so many complaints regards Hyundai service. Guess I have been lucky. I have owned two Hyundai's for last 12 years without breaking into a sweat when it comes to seeing the service bill. I have been using HMP, Chennai for last 12 years too without any serious complaints. I guess the dissatisfied group should come out with the break up of their service charges and any body repair work/suspension work. I have never seen any service charge on my Elantra touch 9k, I'm surprised to see a Getz Prime 1.1 being charged close to Rs.11k. I feel there have been exaggerated reactions to this topic.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 22:07   #45
BHPian

I have a 10yr old Santro and 4 yr old City. Just got my city serviced last friday for 2.7K (plus 400 for the pickup/drop). Santro is going this saturday - it will cost nothing less than 5K given my prior experience.

Both cars have never been to any independent service stations, and have been maintained like my children (except the Santro's scratches!)
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote