Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 15:10   #106
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I just fail to understand why other cars can't have service interval of 1 year. How is Eon technologically superior to i10 ?
Rohan
Hi Rohan,

Its not technological superiority of the engine, but the engine oil. Most manufacturers use synthetic oil in the engines now which gives a service interval of 10~15k kms, as opposed to 5~7.5 k for mineral oils.

Also, synthetic oils are less prone to degeneration due to aging compared to mineral oils.

You can change over to synthetic oil, but its expensive and may not justify the change for your running.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 19:29   #107
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 767
Thanked: 271 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That is atrocious! Now I am dreading . Our i20 is due for its first paid service soon. Can you post the breakup of the costs?
If its a diesel, it should be around 5K. The diesel filter itself costs close to 1.8K I think. Yes, hyundai is expensive to maintain than previous, especially with their modern crdi engines.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 19:49   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Guys, would anybody be having some details about spare-part costs for i20 diesel? If so, please share.

Also, I had read some place that the clutch replacement for i20 diesel costs as much as 24K. Is that correct? If yes, any changes since they have moved to the 5 speed gearbox?
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 20:32   #109
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
If you browse through a similar discussion on another thread, you would realise that Hyundai only "recommends" a time frame. Suffice to say, you may be in a position to service your i10 after the "recommended" 6 months.

Check out the discussion from this post onwards:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2630354
I am aware of this discussion. But this discussion was targeted at free service. Samurai's free service was initially denied by the Service Centre because he had exceeded 6 months. This is a different discussion altogether.

I am complaining about Hyundai's service interval of 6 months/5000 kms for routine services.

The owner manuals and the service charts at service centres clearly mention that service interval between 2 services should not exceed 6 months or 5000 kms (whichever comes earlier).

As per my knowledge of the language, the words "should not" do not indicate something optional. In case of a warranty claim, the customer can be denied warranty if he does not stick to the recommended service intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That is atrocious! Now I am dreading . Our i20 is due for its first paid service soon. Can you post the breakup of the costs?
Like I mentioned, I did not get the bill because their billing computer was not working. But roughly the breakup is like this - 950 for servicing, 1200 for engine oil (no additive) and filter, rest is for miscellaneous items done in routine service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Its not technological superiority of the engine, but the engine oil. Most manufacturers use synthetic oil in the engines now which gives a service interval of 10~15k kms, as opposed to 5~7.5 k for mineral oils.
I seriously doubt that Hyundai is using synthetic engine oil in Eon. If Eon can run for 1 year between 2 services, why not i10 and other cars ?

And why does the service interval have to be multiple of 6 months ? Why can't it be 9 months ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 20:52   #110
BHPian
 
himavanth_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Pune/Chennai
Posts: 582
Thanked: 266 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I
As per my knowledge of the language, the words "should not" do not indicate something optional. In case of a warranty claim, the customer can be denied warranty if he does not stick to the recommended service intervals.

Like I mentioned, I did not get the bill because their billing computer was not working. But roughly the breakup is like this - 950 for servicing, 1200 for engine oil (no additive) and filter, rest is for miscellaneous items done in routine service.
Yes, the service center guys generally deny warranty if say you delay a service by 1000kms. This depends on your rapport with the service center. Just ensure you have a good rapport with them so that they dont cause problems on such minor issues.

950 for servicing seems to be very pricey. My safari for general service at 40k kms costed me 908 Rs with a top up of all fluids. I always knew that Hyundai was expensive to maintain as I owned one a couple of years back. But never knew that they became so expensive now.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 20:53   #111
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

I seriously doubt that Hyundai is using synthetic engine oil in Eon. If Eon can run for 1 year between 2 services, why not i10 and other cars ?

And why does the service interval have to be multiple of 6 months ? Why can't it be 9 months ?

Rohan
It will be really helpful if an Eon owner can look up in the Owners manual and let us know what is the engine oil used.

My TATA Indica manual explicitly mentions that if I use the (optional) synthetic oil, servce interval is 1 year / 10000 kms.

As to why 6 months and not 9, I think its long enough for customer to grumblingly pay for a service and short enough for the dealer to keep milking the customers

EDIT: I think Warranty is a democles sword the manufacturer hands on the customers head - to ensure that the dealer makes enough money after the sale, but it never guarntees the customer a warranty replacement in such an event.

Last edited by autocrat : 8th January 2012 at 20:58. Reason: Afterthought
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 20:55   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

All hyundai cars can have service at one year/ 10000 kms.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 21:10   #113
BHPian
 
one-77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: KL08/MH01
Posts: 358
Thanked: 198 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica
All hyundai cars can have service at one year/ 10000 kms.
I thought it was 6 months/10000 kms?
Though after the warranty period, 1 year or 10000 kms is good enough, I suppose.
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 09:40   #114
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
All hyundai cars can have service at one year/ 10000 kms.
Could you please share the source of this info.

As per the user manual and service charts, the service interval is 6 months / 5000 kms.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 12:32   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Got my i10 irde serviced yesterday
The cost of routine service came to 3.5K !

Are they using synthetic engine oil which costs 700-800/litre? Otherwise i see no reason why a routine service for a car like i10 should cost 3.5 grands. What all did they change, if it was just routine cleaning, lubing and change of fluids then its indeed very pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I thought it was 6 months/10000 kms?
Though after the warranty period, 1 year or 10000 kms is good enough, I suppose.
+1
Infact i was shocked when we returned our old Santro and got a Xing just to note that they had lowered the service interval from 10000/12 months to 5000/6months.

Now as the warranty is over, i prefer not going to these authorised service centres and get the work done myself. Oil changes, brake pad changes are all done outside at a much better labour rate and they treat me nicely too.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 12:59   #116
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

@ cool boy 007-----

Giving the car for small check ups or minor jobs to garages outside is a good idea. But for the first time when you choose a local garage, there always exists a risk. But i still feel that no mechanic can very unqualified. It requires only patience for us to stand with him through out till the job is done.

Last edited by rki2007 : 9th January 2012 at 13:00. Reason: spelling mistakes
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 13:10   #117
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,442 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

They charged me about 4k for a routine service on my Accent a few weeks ago. Paid Service alone is about 1100 INR, and the idiots ask to pay for consumables (even a few grams of grease) and labor separately. Then what the hell is the 1100 for, if everything is chargeable separately?

Here's what I was charged (All amounts approx):

1100: Paid Service
850: Engine Oil (3.3 Litres)
250: Disc pads/callipers check and greasing

700: Engine oil flush and performance additives (350 each). I refused to pay for this as I'd specifically instructed them in advance not to use these. They refunded the amount after some haggling and me blasting the service manager.

250: Labor charges to check rear-suspension strut. The part was faulty, but they refused to replace as the 6 month warranty was over (6month/10k warranty), though the car had only ran about 4k in the period. If I'm not going to get quality parts even after paying through my nose and still get screwed on replacement, what's the point of genuine spare parts? The entire suspension was overhauled at 54k, when I opted to do the 60k service in advance after a year of heavy usage.

600: Suspension strut insulator (rubber part). I got this removed as well, since the fault was traced to the strut, and the existing insulator was only 4k kms old. Needless to say, haggling was involved. They wanted me to replace the entire strut assembly at 3500 + taxes. I just managed to keep myself from showing them the finger.

1000: Labour/Consumables/Misc

total bill: 4k+
refunds: 850
Net paid: 3400
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:01   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
They charged me about 4k for a routine service on my Accent a few weeks ago. Paid Service alone is about 1100 INR, and the idiots ask to pay for consumables (even a few grams of grease) and labor separately. Then what the hell is the 1100 for, if everything is chargeable separately?

Here's what I was charged (All amounts approx):

1100: Paid Service
850: Engine Oil (3.3 Litres)
250: Disc pads/callipers check and greasing

700: Engine oil flush and performance additives (350 each). I refused to pay for this as I'd specifically instructed them in advance not to use these. They refunded the amount after some haggling and me blasting the service manager.

250: Labor charges to check rear-suspension strut. The part was faulty, but they refused to replace as the 6 month warranty was over (6month/10k warranty), though the car had only ran about 4k in the period. If I'm not going to get quality parts even after paying through my nose and still get screwed on replacement, what's the point of genuine spare parts? The entire suspension was overhauled at 54k, when I opted to do the 60k service in advance after a year of heavy usage.

600: Suspension strut insulator (rubber part). I got this removed as well, since the fault was traced to the strut, and the existing insulator was only 4k kms old. Needless to say, haggling was involved. They wanted me to replace the entire strut assembly at 3500 + taxes. I just managed to keep myself from showing them the finger.

1000: Labour/Consumables/Misc

total bill: 4k+
refunds: 850
Net paid: 3400
You will have to pay for the consumables anyway. Where I am getting confused is that for each of labor, they have charged you separately. You should ask them what is covered in Rs. 1100. Is it just the car wash?
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:36   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,759 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
To add insult to the injury, the service interval is 6 months. My usage is hardly 500 kms per month, still I have to waste so much money unnecessarily for getting the car serviced every 6 months.
Once out of warranty I have used the 12 months/10,000km logic for over two decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Its not technological superiority of the engine, but the engine oil. Most manufacturers use synthetic oil in the engines now which gives a service interval of 10~15k kms, as opposed to 5~7.5 k for mineral oils.
All oils starting with API-SF (now a dinosaur, only found with some sarkari oil cos), 12 months/10,000 miles/km is the norm and do not get taken in by the noise. Today the current grades are API-SJ, SL, SM and SN.

As for maintenance costs Honda charges less for my Civic than what I paid to Hyundai for my Accent a couple of years ago.

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th January 2012 at 14:38.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:19   #120
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,442 Times
Default re: Maintaining a Hyundai or Maruti becomes more expensive. Labour rates increased AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
You will have to pay for the consumables anyway. Where I am getting confused is that for each of labor, they have charged you separately. You should ask them what is covered in Rs. 1100. Is it just the car wash?
I had no issues paying for parts and consumables separately. When I asked them for a detailed list of items covered by the the paid service cost (called PMS at Hyundai), they drew a blank.


As for the wash, they refused to wash the car's underbody. Is that the norm now?
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be? v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 45 13th March 2017 15:32
Road Tax rates Hiked. Vehicles get expensive in Haryana *UPDATE* Apr'13 Hiked again .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 28 28th July 2014 13:32
Hyundai increases labour rates again sidindica The Indian Car Scene 26 16th August 2010 08:58
Maintaining a car is now more expensive as labour rates increased by > 10 % at A.S.C. sidindica The Indian Car Scene 11 13th May 2009 15:48
Is FIAT Charging Exhorbitant Rates for Spares? And Tata for service/labour charges? gemithomas The Indian Car Scene 34 18th November 2008 12:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks