Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2012, 19:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet's all-new TrailBlazer SUV debuts. EDIT : Might come to India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, a lot of us agree. But Fortuner still sells & is leagues ahead of anything else in the near vicinity. And that's because of the brand value.
+1 To that. The only way to build the product is to offer 5 year warranty and give loads of features.

Compared to Innova / Aria, XUV looks loaded. They need to play the same Truimp card.

The only way to beat the Toyota reliability badge is to give so many featues that people forget the Reliability badge of the Toyota and lean towards the Chevy brand.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:05   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet's all-new TrailBlazer SUV debuts. EDIT : Might come to India!

I personally feel that considering today's auto scenario in India and the benchmark set by M&M with the XUV 5oo every manufacturer should offer enough equippment and features at the best possible price.

When Mahindra can offer XUV 5oo at almost half the price of a Fortuner can toyota justify the price of the Fortuner only on the count of its quality and reliablity though being underequipped.

So even Chevrolet should take cues from Mahindra and offer the Trailblazer with the maximum equippment at the best possible price. Though we can say that Chevrolet products are better in quality and fit and finish when compared to Mahindra but they cannot charge huge premiums.

Its my personal feeling that every SUV manufacturer should consider the features and price of XUV 5oo as benchmark and offer similiar products with similar features at similar prices. Cos when Mahindra can why not the TATA or Chevrolet or Ford and so on.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
When Mahindra can offer XUV 5oo at almost half the price of a Fortuner can toyota justify the price of the Fortuner only on the count of its quality and reliablity though being underequipped.
When I agree with many of your points on XUV 500 & its equipments, I still have to answer that Fortuner is the better product inspite of being under-equipped! That's because we have not read even 10% of the issues in Fortuner compared to the XUV niggles / problems. So whatever package Toyota offers is supreme.

Other players first need to match upto the perfection that Toyota has [at least 90%] & then load up their products comparatively, to gain a command over Toyota in sales. I am sure I don't want to have a feature laden product at half the price which I need to take to the A$$ every 2 weeks. I would rather pay more for a (better) product with lesser features to save the head ache & peace of mind.

Edit: Having said that, I have NOT come across much issues in Chevy vehicles [except for some of those in Optra], so I have good faith in the brand!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th February 2012 at 21:23. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
Old 7th February 2012, 22:00   #49
BHPian

I guess chevy can position the trailblazer as an off road Dirt eating SUV at a slightly lower price and keep the Captiva as a premium offering. I dont think the trailblazer,which is based on a ladder frame chassis should cost more than the captiva.Chevy can price the SUV at 15 odd lakhs if they localize some parts or if there is any new trade agreements signed which brings down duties.
Chevy has tasted success with the feature packed and economically priced cruze,so i see no reason why Chevy cant do the same to the trailblazer!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 7th February 2012 at 22:07.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota Prices are high no doubt but the Quality, Reliability and dependability that you get is not available in other brands.

Take an example of door not closing in XUV5OO. I would be really embarrased if that happens with my family or friends or at a valet parking. These are niggles which are not at all acceptable. So Far we have never seen a niggle with Fortuner, Innova and Qualis. Even if there are some, its attended to promptly. Take another example of Power window rolling down automatically during Monsoon in a Safari.

Quality comes at a price. Given the indian mindset, Quality is NOT a way of life here like in Japan. We have to have numerous checks, enforcements, tests reviews etc, so naturally the cost of Quaity and the cost of rework goes up. This cost is ultimately passed on to us. I know a certain brake manufacturer who makes brakes of different quality to cater to State Transport and an auto manufacturer respectively. Now this is what i call Indian mindset. (Told by an ex-employee)

Issues like speedometer does not have a glass, Fuel line rupture, HU not working as expected (need software upgrade) are all basic issues to be sorted out in-house and not expect customer to come to the A.S.S to fix.

Toyota scores here where indian companies fail here. Anyone can provide features. A roadside electrician can do magic to bring in "Mood Lighting" effect. Whether its reliable is what matters.

In a way I am happy to pay the higher price for Toyotas as I am gauranteed that ALL features WILL work at anytime.

Imagine what would happen if doors open suddenly and there are some stubborn people who will not wear seat belts. Imagine Hill hold fails and my wife is a novice driver.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 22:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is it me or does anyone see an uncanny resemblance to the Ecosport.
Chevy is making sure it doesnt loose out on the race to getting the small SUV into market. Wait, can anyone confirm what is the height and the length of the car. I cant get the magnitude of the same with the pics in the posts.
Old 8th February 2012, 07:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Compromise and Laissez Faire seem to be a way of life here. It requires a fundamental attitudinal change from within, to change this. It is not acceptable to have such quality issues and niggles in a vehicle that costs twice as much as say, a Qualis did a few years ago! One reason I did. Or. Uh the XUV was on account of this lack of diligence in quality, along with the fact that it is an oversized vehicle, given my needs. That vehicle, however well priced it may be, needs to 'bed down' in the market place first, before one can trust it and buy it!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th February 2012 at 07:03.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally feel that considering today's auto scenario in India and the benchmark set by M&M with the XUV 5oo every manufacturer should offer enough equippment and features at the best possible price.

So even Chevrolet should take cues from Mahindra and offer the Trailblazer with the maximum equippment at the best possible price. Though we can say that Chevrolet products are better in quality and fit and finish when compared to Mahindra but they cannot charge huge premiums.

Its my personal feeling that every SUV manufacturer should consider the features and price of XUV 5oo as benchmark and offer similiar products with similar features at similar prices. Cos when Mahindra can why not the TATA or Chevrolet or Ford and so on.
The XUV500 and the Fortuner are completely different products, XUV is a soft roader where as Fortuner is a full scale off road SUV. Fortuner can be compared to the endeavor and Pajero, not XUV IMO. Even though people may not use them off road, it is capable oh handling far worse terrain than the XUV and you pay extra for this "feature" whether you use it or not.
XUV's closest rival will be the captiva.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 09:29   #54
BHPian

It wouldnt be prudent enough to compare the XUV-5"o'"o" with the Tfort, i mean they are segments apart. Price though important can never be singled out as the only differentiating factor, theres quality, reliability, brand, features et all. What M&M has done they have presented a mighty competitor to the Tata's. Neways coming back to the topic, any confirmation on the launch date, now that Paj-Sports have been launched priced above the Tfort. Chevy if they play their cards well on the pricing can actualy have a fair share of the market. But then again we have seen how price can add up to the mess-up value
Old 21st March 2012, 14:37   #55
BHPian

Thanks to Indian Autos Blog, just got to know the Launch of Trailblazer in Thailand. Check the below link

Chevrolet Trailblazer SUV unveiled in Thailand

My first impression
1) The front does not look as good as the concept. Still nevertheless much better than captiva
2) The rear looks good
3) The side profile is different but not sure if it can match the fortuner
4) The tires & alloys give it a macho look

Come on GM! Bring it to India ASAP!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet's all-new TrailBlazer SUV debuts. EDIT : Might come to India!-chevrolet-trailblazer.jpg  

Last edited by urajkumar : 21st March 2012 at 14:40.
urajkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 14:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Chevy TrailBlazer's Thai brochure -

Chevrolet Trailblazer Thai brochure
Old 21st March 2012, 17:03   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The concept looked way better than this production version. To me this looks more or less like an Endeavour now! Not happy! Hope they make it a truly wonderful car to compete with Fortuner.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

I don't have experience with Chevy reliability, but what Fortuner offers is a "fill it, shut it, cruise at 120kmph+ for 500-1000kms a day, then offroad, then come back and take it to office next day. And get 11-12kmpl while doing all that." - without any worries or niggles. You know that what is supposed to work will work when you need it.

If say a Trailblazer or some other vehicle is priced at 2L over the Fortuner, one might want to think of what one can get in terms of upgraded/aftermarket trim, ICE, features such as TPMS (offered by some players with HU), in-dash navigation, blue lighting :-) etc. - if one were to spend 2L extra on a standard Fortuner. And then compare the value proposition.

If you talk about stiff ride and ordinary (but adequate) braking, now those are not fixed so easily.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 21st March 2012 at 17:47.
Old 20th June 2012, 20:57   #59
BHPian

Name:  2tbzstandardshot41.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  364.3 KB

Name:  3tbzdynamic4.jpg
Views: 5558
Size:  425.5 KB

Name:  4tbzbkk10.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  326.5 KB

Name:  6tbzsoftoffroadpanorami.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  296.5 KB

Name:  9tbzstandardshot31.jpg
Views: 5835
Size:  398.2 KB

Source
+ LED tails!
- Very feminine at the front. Rear 1/4 awkward. Roof rails don't gel with the rest of the car.
Eminenttismo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 00:09   #60
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chevrolet's all-new TrailBlazer SUV debuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Now if Chevrolet could launch this in India a notch above the Captiva, they'd do very good! All they need to do is bring this here in CKD form and assemble it, and even try and localize some parts to keep costs down.
The Captiva itself is brought down as a CBU last I checked, so I hardly see a chance of Chevrolet setting up an assembly like for a higher segment product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It would be priced around 25-26 lac OTR for sure. If they price it at 20 lacs, Captive would not sell at all.
Overlap or not, the Captiva barely sells anyways!

Last edited by manson : 21st June 2012 at 00:17.
Closed Thread