AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels) 387 30.54%
I don't think the cost premium (75 - 100K) is worth it 210 16.57%
Maintenance concerns 150 11.84%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 36 2.84%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 287 22.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd November 2011, 17:58   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
The sheer fact that MT still holds the market grip is because of (1) mileage efficiency (2) Power when you need it most (3) the feel of the gearshift --Ah!heavenly mate pure exhilaration.
You missed the main part - the initial extra to be paid for an AT. People will shell out 1lakh extra for the equivalent diesel since it is supposed to deliver savings in running-cost over time, but shelling 50K or so for AT is not seen as a viable option because with lower FE than manual version, this looks like a loss-loss scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk
One good thing on AT is that the vehicle does not move backwards in neutral unlike a MT which is too good for a crazy city traffic.
I guess you meant in D - because in neutral even AT car will move backward/forward depending on gradient.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:00   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Would it not shift itself into 1st when i'm accelerating from a near zero speed?
It will not, if you gradually (it's really an art, you see) floor it. Kick down, or a rapid press of the a-pedal, it's sure to shift to 1st.

So the ideal way is, observe the situation ahead (i.e., the queue at traffic signal), take your foot off the a-pedal at the right moment (again part of the art), use brakes and/or coast to the end of the queue, and when the signal turns green, just gradually (very gradually) floor the pedal (again, at the right moment, pay attention to what speed the car ahead of you has started etc.).

Sigh! Who said driving automatics isn't challenging?

I am confident of this though: save for the autotronic/DSG and other high-end AT boxes, the rest of the AT boxes aren't for the lead-footed or hyper-spirited drivers.

Last edited by ssh1979 : 23rd November 2011 at 18:02.
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Let's consider this scenario. You're approaching the end of a queue waiting at a traffic light and there's not much time for the lights to turn green, according to the timer.
Let's imagine I'm driving an Etios. I can ease off the throttle and move along with the traffic when it starts moving in 2nd gear, with minimal revs.
Can an i20 AT do that with right foot inputs? Would it not shift itself into 1st when i'm accelerating from a near zero speed?
Automatics downshift/visit 1st gear more often then what you would normally do in an MT. Anything less then 10 kmph(or may be 15 in some cars) it will shift to 1st gear.
Guna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 11:37   #169
Senior - BHPian

This thread caught me napping. 12 pages of discussion and I see it now? Anyway, there is no option for me to vote here because I went ahead and bought A-Star AT. Actually was waiting for an elusive AT diesel hatch which I reckon they will take 100 more years to launch. So went ahead and bought petrol hatch with AT because comfort is more important to me than FE. Am I happy? Yesss! The convenience that AT offers coupled with compact-est size and cute looks of an A-Star makes me ignore other shortcomings of this car. Speaking of shortcomings, there are only two. One, a higher price of 50K for the AT box and two, lesser acceleration than MT. However, on the plus side, the FE is very good, too. I get 14-15 KMPL consistently in inner-city crawl with aircon on all the time. On this count the A-Star is unbeatable ( three mouths to feed rather than four mouths in other cars, ). Wonder what an MT A-Star returns then. I pussy-foot go-pedal and force it to upshift by lifting the foot off the go-pedal.

Evereyone home is very happy though . Wife finds it very convenient( added to convenience is compact size ) and just about anyone can drive it. I am enjoying every minute of driving in peak-time inner-city crawl. But yes, once I hit the highways, I miss manual.

My next car ( rather an additional car ) would be a diesel rocket MT. A Cruze in all likelyhood. An addition to A-Star. Then I will have best of both worlds. A-Star AT for wife and for all, for in-city drive and Cruze for out-of-town trips and late night trips when roads are less crowded. I would call it a prefect pair, cars from two ends of spectrum.

Last edited by pgsagar : 24th November 2011 at 11:39.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 12:36   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had at least one AT since 1999. Now both my cars are AT. City driving makes an AT -> Heaven. I an looking for good Hatches with AT (except for the i10 and i20 there are none).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 13:10   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Absolutely not true. Formula 1 cars are automatic using paddle shifts. No clutch pedal.

AT is better for the engine than MT. AT does not let you redline the car or lug the car. In an MT you can redline till the limiter or you can be in a higher gear than the speed making the engine lug. This is very harmful to the engine. In an AT the gearbox makes sure the engine is in it's prime operating band. Smoother gearshifts and less abrupt variations in rpm are possible in an AT. In an MT when you downshift to a lower gear and don't rev match, it's puts tremendous strain on an engine with the sudden jump in rpm.
Hi Vid
That was informative since known to me they use semiautomatic sequential transmission in F1 and the only stuff is that the clutch part is removed but the gear shift stays and the transmission does not change gears and it is a clutchless Manual Transmission.

The very fact that the AT does an auto change can aslo be held vice versa since in an MT you can downshift or upshift based on speed and normally good drivrs with more than average judgement do well with the gear shifts and help longer life since in an AT the variomatic gear change is unavoidable.

Cheers
Prasad
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:04   #172
BHPian

Why is everyone missing the gears when on highways? Why does anyone change gears when on open highways, just engage cruse control & drive!!
May be I am wrong!!
Abes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

Those on iOS app can not vote.

I will buy an automatic for my mother, wife and wait before you all label me chauvinist, also for my driver. I always have felt (with many experimental rides) that people who do not love automobiles and drive it as just transport do not use optimal gear usage and engine characteristic. The end result is premature clutch wear and tear, more pollution and less fuel efficiency. Thus Autobox comes in very handy for such subset.

However, I have driven an autobox for a few months and it gets very boring once the novelty wears off. The modern day transmission are better but still lose on the driver involvement part.

I will always prefer a proper manual box. I am the master of my castle and wish to remain so. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:21   #174
BHPian

I associate driving with gear shifts and love my manual drives; even in B2B traffic of ring road.

Call me old-school and that's what I am.

Maybe an auto when arthritis sets in over the years.
Sugeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:30   #175
BHPian

I have been driving just for the past one year and a manual one at that. I just love the control it gives over the car and I voted for the same. I haven't driven an automatic so can't comment on it.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 15:57   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
I haven't driven an automatic so can't comment on it.
Among manual owners commenting on automatics without driving one, you are an exception.

I still love driving manuals when I am in my hometown, where driving is less stressful even though the roads are narrow. But for cities like Bangalore, automatics are a boon. And, I would not have bought an auto if I had not been to the US, and was "unlucky" to drive an automatic. Even though I drove there only for 3 months, when I came back, I had decided that I wanted to buy an automatic. But then, the next 2 years I had been driving a manual, though, still I didn't lose the resolve to buy an automatic.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:26   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I would not have bought an auto if I had not been to the US, and was "unlucky" to drive an automatic. Even though I drove there only for 3 months, when I came back, I had decided that I wanted to buy an automatic. But then, the next 2 years I had been driving a manual, though, still I didn't lose the resolve to buy an automatic.
The similar reasoning would be applicable to all the Honda Activa owners who love to drive their scooters in the city traffic.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 18:19   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
Those on iOS app can not vote.

s!
Please click on the curved arrow button on the top right of your app screen; wait for the thread to load in safari; vote!
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 20:38   #179
Zed
BHPian

I assume (from some of the comments im seeing on this page) that a large percentage of the folks that volted for 'i love manuals' have little or no experience with Automatics. Theres a good chance that if the same folks used a modern Automatic for a coupl eof weeks, they'd vote otherwise.
Reminds me of the Toyota Qualis 'touch and try' (or something that sounded similar) campaign where people walked into dealerships thinking 'what an ugly car...im never going to buy this'...to ' hey its nice on the inside '. Its all about giving it a go and then deciding if it works for you or not. Rather than going by public opinion or assumptions.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 22:02   #180
BHPian

I voted for Others, while I actually felt two other choices (premium and FE) were also applicable.

An AT is no doubt a good option for our traffic conditions and I feel it would take some more years for the huge FE conscious community to sway from the negative buzz. Agreed, the inefficiencies of earlier generation AT boxes has left a bad impression, but the new technology AT Boxes certainly seems to be making positive progress.

Here is my predicament, which could be completely be off-topic.

I would be more than happy to invest in a Hybrid system than an AT. I'm not sure if the costs to make a Manual Transmission + Hybrid is astronomical, but if such a system were designed it would certainly make my day or am I day dreaming? Even a mild hybrid which could extend the range would be great. I'm beginning to think the indirect advantage of being an AT when the car is running on batteries would also be there.

I remember an old post where a famous OEM had designed a bolt-on hybrid synergy system, but not sure if there was any progress.
KameshR is offline   Reply With Quote