AT option is unavailable on my choice of car (including diesels) 387 30.54%
I don't think the cost premium (75 - 100K) is worth it 210 16.57%
Maintenance concerns 150 11.84%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 36 2.84%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 287 22.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th November 2011, 14:51   #211
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
By the by, how come you didn't throw the Cruze AT into that mix? Just by happenstance or a conscious decision?
I didn't get a chance to stop by the Chevy dealer and collect price list.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 15:05   #212
BHPian

My next car would be an AT. With every government authority in Bangalore is busy digging the road and the other waiting to dig it once again, after the first one closes it, it is becoming a nightmare driving a manual.

I've experienced, it becomes too boring to drive a AT on highway, but the daily commute would be a bliss with an AT and that is where I spend most of time in the car. In a week I spend almost about 12-18 hours in the Bangalore traffic on the other hand, the highway drive is about 12-18 hours in a month or so.
PearlYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 16:08   #213
BHPian

I just can't bring myself to do it.

I think the essence of being a petrol-head is being in charge of your own gearshifts and there's something wonderfully mechanically involving about using a proper manual tranny. I lived in the US for a couple of years and drove an automatic. I hated every minute of it.

Yes, auto-trannies are a blessing in bumper to bumper traffic and some day when my knees give out (I'm a squash player, so it's bound to happen) I'll probably relent and buy an auto-box, but until then it's the proper manual tranny for me.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 16:38   #214
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not a skoda fan, mainly due to the horror stories in bhp..but the 4 year warranty sounds interesting, does it comes at a cost and what all is covered?
Sorry, I don't know much about this warranty. You need to pay around 20K to get the warranty. It's better to ask our moderator .anushuman. He bought a Laura DSG with Skoda shield. I own a Cruze. Maintenance of cruze is also expensive. Cruze Front and rear Brake pads cost 13K,side rear view mirror costs Rs.10,769 , wipers cost Rs. 1550 and service interval is 5000 Km. For Skoda service interval is 15K.
anb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 17:24   #215

Great thread!! i choose option 2 (I love Manual transmissions!) and 4 (not think they are worth the premium). Strictly personal. To be honest even though i drive in Mumbai (so i mostly drive in heavy traffic), i love playing with gears (al least 90% of the time). And to be honest even the engine on my Swift (1.3ltr engine) is a gem of an engine.Transmission is not out of this planet, but can live (and have fun) with it.

I would believe that practically speaking Automatic make sense (more so in urban landscape) and in longer run most of the vehicles will get AT (as the cost comes down and cities get more and more congested). However for petrol heads like me, MT would always be the "chosen one".

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th November 2011 at 19:05. Reason: Dotty post, please use proper punctuation instead of typing like this.... Thanks.
himanshu_2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:10   #216
BHPian

I have bought a automatic Vento a few months back.

there have been various discussion on my decision with friends etc. the main concerns expressed are as under

1. Poor fuel efficiency - this is primarily due to the primitive (4 speed) automatic gear boxes being offered on most of the cars. modern 5 / 6 speed gear boxes offer good average marginally below or at times even above the manual.

2. High cost - This is primarily i guess due to two major reasons one being that automatics are offered mostly on the top end models only (God knows the reason) and second i guess is additional cost due to poor economies of scale.

3. Higher maintenance cost - this is a mis Norma that the automatic cars have a very high maintenance cost.

4. Poor resale value due to poor demand in second hand market.

5. Perception issue - this is the most important one as we have so many misconceptions about the automatic that we do not even think about buying the same.

Disclaimer: Views above are based on my extensive discussions with people regarding the AT.
nvluv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:30   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I beg your pardon but what is that supposed to mean? If you mean overseas market, then yes, Europe is predominantly diesel and MT. US, Canada, South America and Middle East are predominantly petrol and AT. Or, am I wrong?

But in Inidan context, I am sure it makes much more sense to buy ATs. Isn't it ironical that in all the congestion and chaos, we use MTs and on those long straights of US, they use ATs?
You got it right- Building a Petrol AT is much more economical as it can be imported.
binu balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:41   #218
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The art of driving lies in apt gear changes (should not jerk) is my opinion. But nowadays lot of AT's are plying in cities. I daily see about 4-5 Auto cars in my office car park.

I was driving Maruti 800 Automatic for 3 months which was really no-nonsense in city driving but the mileage was never more than 8kmpl.

The cost of AT should come down and be available in all lower end cars to see more sales.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:00   #219
BHPian

oh! i have a bad experince long ago with an automatic huyndai santro and that experiance has made an impact so much that i hate the idea of seating in one. i havent tried an automatiac car since then, may be i should!!
Sweet Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:24   #220

I read this thread yesterday & decided to reply today while I was stuck in B'lore traffic. I've have an S10 - MT and a Cruze -AT. After driving the S10 for over 8 years, an AT was last on my list when I was looking for a new car. All I wanted was a bigger car that would respond like the Palio. After a lot of comparos, especially on T-Bhp, I realised that GM offered an AT for a sub 1L difference compared to the MT. But the clincher was the 6-speed "Tiptronic" feature (Active Select in GM-speak). Which meant I would not have to sacrifice MT pleasure at the AT altar.
The AT is now about 2.5months old and done 2500 odd kms. I shift to the tiptronic mode once a while but I realise with the right amount of play on the accelerator, I can get the AT to behave like a manual...well almost. I can zoom away from a green light just like I used to with my MT and am never in the wrong gear when I want to do a quick& hard maneuver in city traffic.
But most importantly, when I'm stuck in a crawl, which is where cars spend their time in most cities, the AT is heaven. I drive the S10 now, just because I love it & for the fun of a hot hatch, but the right AT shouldn't make any difference to an MT-head, the thrill is undiluted...
sanjeevseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:30   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Sorry, I don't know much about this warranty. You need to pay around 20K to get the warranty. It's better to ask our moderator .anushuman. He bought a Laura DSG with Skoda shield. I own a Cruze. Maintenance of cruze is also expensive. Cruze Front and rear Brake pads cost 13K,side rear view mirror costs Rs.10,769 , wipers cost Rs. 1550 and service interval is 5000 Km. For Skoda service interval is 15K.
Thanks anb, I will check on the warranty part for Laura DSG. BTW in Cruze I thought all these is covered in the 40K pack for 1 year, and Laura maintenance can be also very pricy. I would really like to know your experience with Cruze (ex - Make, KMs done, Service charges, satisfaction level etc). Please leave me a PM if you don't want to continue the discussion here

Thanks again

Last edited by gadadhar : 29th November 2011 at 17:30. Reason: Typo
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:40   #222
Senior - BHPian

A.S.S has a tough time to take care of the issues seen on a normal car.
Add complicated AT into the mix and I simply say no.
I have no trust in the guys working in the A.S.S to handle a complicated piece of machinery.

So no AT for me.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 22:31   #223
Senior - BHPian

I see lot of people preferring MT over AT for driving fun. I would agree with them when the cars involved are diesel rockets like Swift, Verna and Cruze which definitely put a smile on your face every time you step on it. But petrol hatches? Seriously, are they really that fun to drive? I mean most petrol hatches are so plain jane in performance that you have to redline them to get anywhere. So, I personally feel you do not lose much, apart from higher price and a km or two less FE, in preferring an AT A-Star or i10 over MT versions. Ideally, nothing like owning two cars. One lowest end of petrol AT for in-town crawl. And a diesel rocket like Swift/Verna/Cruze MT for that ear to ear grin. If there is room for only car, then one has to go by what he does most-- in-town driving or highway runs.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:07   #224

Unhappy Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

I don't drive an automatic because the AT option is not available in the diesel cars that I can afford.

Presently I drive a Swift LXi (model - April 2007) through middle of Hyderabad right from Alwal - Trimulgherry - Begumpet - Hitec, a distance of 30 kms one way. It takes approx 1 hrs 30 mins to cover the distance - now a days any hour of the day. My Swift has already done 72000 kms, 99% in Hyderabad through the same route - its not that I don't enjoy driving or changing gears but after a certain time when the legs start hurting because of constant pressure on clutch, I do feel the need to upgrade to an automatic. I am already searching for an Automatic Diesel, considering my driving needs but looks like would settle for a Petrol AT (City / Vento) as they are more affordable.

Besides an automatic may inspire wify to take up driving (she has the license and used to drive for some time) getting some load off me specially on weekends.

Automatics would also give lots of options for elderly as well. My DAD who used to employ the services of driver when in service has just retired from a PSU but has to settle for an Alto and use the part time driver as Automatics are costly, have long waiting period, a negative perception on resale, FE and maintenance. This obviously limits his mobility to the availability of the driver.

Going forward I see a strong trend for AT specially from people going for their second car, upgrades and women and elderly drivers.
MaNishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:16   #225
BHPian

In my opinion, gear is the sexiest thing of a car. Even after so many wonderful AT options, paddle shifts and so much advancement in technology, I still feel manual gearing gives such an immense confidence and involving experience.

The sound of gear engaging/slotting is an integral part of my learning experience ( learnt driving in a 1967 Fiat 1100D) !
dip27in is offline   Reply With Quote